Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2021, 13:55   #2731
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I just picked a Macbook Air M1 256 GB Space Grey. It was out of stock at aptronix stores as well as all the major retailers.

Luckily Bajaj electronics, Jubilee Hills had a few pieces in stock. Time to again learn how to use Mac. I have used air before a few years back. But forgot all the shortcuts.
Awesome choice. I had also picked up M1 MBA (512) in Gold color and the experience has been magic straight out of the box!

I wish they had retained the glowing apple logo that looks fabulous on my 2014 MBA.

Happy computing.:-)
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 18:27   #2732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Awesome choice. I had also picked up M1 MBA (512) in Gold color and the experience has been magic straight out of the box!

I wish they had retained the glowing apple logo that looks fabulous on my 2014 MBA.

Happy computing.:-)
Thanks mate. Wish you the same. I am surprised they omitted the glowing logo. It was aesthetically nice.

I really love the Touch ID. I am yet to explore compatibility of the M1 chips with the printer I have. Need to do something about the NTFS external drive.
Old 9th February 2021, 18:41   #2733
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

I have read numerous reports of problems with USB devices in Big Sur.
Did you check after upgrade?

Also do check under System Pref > Security and Privacy, if any permissions need to be given while connecting the USB. I had the same issue with connecting an external SSD. Had to give permission and reinstall the Samsung software the SSD came with to make it work.
Old 9th February 2021, 19:38   #2734
BHPian

There was a recent change in guard. After about 7.5 years, the MacBook Pro (MBP) doing duties at home, was acting up.

I went in with the thought of replacing it with an iPad as entertainment and MS excel both work well on the iPad and my pockets were not to deep for this replacement.

I mentioned the above to the sales executive at an Apple reseller. He said he would buy my older MBP depending on the condition. Also suggested that in due course of time, I would be tempted to buy the optional keyboard and the pen and that would eventually work out to the price if a new MacBook.

15K for the old MBP, 6K cashback and 30 mins later I had a MacBook Air M1. As expected the experience of using it has been ridiculously faster than what I was used to and without the frequent hardware issues of things crashing now and again. It runs Big Sur and boots faster than an iPhone. Also readily opens any kind of app as soon as it is booted and does not take that customary few mins more to settle down.

Overall a shade under 70K and to me that felt be good value if I can use it for the next 8 years.

Hope this helps someone make a decision.
NevGin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:42   #2735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you check after upgrade?

Also do check under System Pref > Security and Privacy, if any permissions need to be given while connecting the USB. I had the same issue with connecting an external SSD. Had to give permission and reinstall the Samsung software the SSD came with to make it work.
Thanks for asking.
Interestingly enough after the upgrade, the joystick now moves the mouse cursor. So something is happening, but nothing else.

I have made these permissions under input monitoring. Still not quite sure I have made the right ones. My thrust master never came with its own software, nor does it have anything specifically for OS.

Maybe it will get better with the next upgrade!
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 13:19   #2736
BANNED

One issue I have is how to transfer data from Mac to the PC. Seems that the directory structure is not properly preserved. Any short cuts!
Old 13th February 2021, 10:09   #2737
BHPian

Hello everyone.

I have a mac and a windows laptop. i also have one curved monitor and am looking to buy a nice keyboard and mouse that can serve both the machines.

Is it possible to use one Keyboard, mouse and Monitor for both of these machines? I am aware of HDMI switches for the monitor but am not sure if something similar exists for the keyboard and mouse as well.
Old 13th February 2021, 10:30   #2738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Is it possible to use one Keyboard, mouse and Monitor for both of these machines?
You can look at the following offerings from Logitech Master Series and K375s

https://golchhait.com/home/3320-logi...use-white.html

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 13th February 2021 at 11:37.
roamer012 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2021, 19:56   #2739
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone.

I have a mac and a windows laptop. i also have one curved monitor and am looking to buy a nice keyboard and mouse that can serve both the machines.

Is it possible to use one Keyboard, mouse and Monitor for both of these machines? I am aware of HDMI switches for the monitor but am not sure if something similar exists for the keyboard and mouse as well.
The Logitech M590 Silent is a very nice, quiet and well-priced mouse that supports multiple devices. For the keyboard, take a look at the Logitech K380/K480.

As for the monitor, select something that has multiple display inputs of your choice.

Last edited by Amien : 13th February 2021 at 19:58.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:15   #2740
BHPian

I had ordered keyboard skin for my 2019 iMac from Mosiso and I am quite happy with it and I thought I would share it with you all about the same.

The skin is so vibrant and fits just perfectly. It feels like there is no cover actually. An added bonus is it has keyboard shortcuts on the skin itself, which I am sure will help folks moving on from Windows PC. So, without further due, let the pics do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-8ff7cc18e76f4aaeb28bbf27db972846.jpeg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-ad43c8a39c4e4dc390157fe57523de1c.jpeg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-f5c252e7d9a14d9cb6bc2bf48aad07d7.jpeg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-74e8522a276748c4bfb1e0e7262983f4.jpeg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-e1d15e52f7184e00a1c81a54804f7160.jpeg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-29f70be9a4974dddadb042bc59d62265.jpeg  

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-8fdadc52718547c5badb441fe861cc11.jpeg  

Last edited by drive_angry : 15th February 2021 at 20:17. Reason: Spell check
drive_angry is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:45   #2741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I had ordered keyboard skin for my 2019 iMac
This looks nice. Does this mean I could use an apple keyboard for windows (if I were to have this skin to show me what the windows keys are)?
TorqMaster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 21:27   #2742
BHPian

Hello BHPians. I'm studying B.Tech Automobile Engg. (2nd yr.). As of now, I'm using an Acer Aspire A515 (got it from the UK) with i5-8250u and 16 gigs of ram.

As i'm planning to go abroad for higher studies (masters), is it wise to shift to an apple ecosystem? Please keep in mind that masters in automotive engg. would involve heavy graphical softwares such as solidworks and ANSYS.

(Note : I just want a 2nd opinion.)
Old 21st February 2021, 22:03   #2743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saitvsk23 View Post
Hello BHPians. I'm studying B.Tech Automobile Engg. (2nd yr.). As of now, I'm using an Acer Aspire A515 (got it from the UK) with i5-8250u and 16 gigs of ram.

As i'm planning to go abroad for higher studies (masters), is it wise to shift to an apple ecosystem? Please keep in mind that masters in automotive engg. would involve heavy graphical softwares such as solidworks and ANSYS.

(Note : I just want a 2nd opinion.)
Hi,
I'm in my third year of B.Tech Mechanical engineering and in my first year itself I changed from a MacBook Air to a Asus ROG. At the time my observations were that a MacBook is the perfect laptop for students who want to code and take notes and do generous amounts of photo or video editing. Graphics intensive workloads like Ansys or AutoCAD recquires RAM and a good dedicated Graphics card and there are plenty of other options apart from a MacBook. I would suggest something like the Dell XPS15 or the Asus ROG g15.

On the phone and watch side of things, if budget permits I actually feel that an iPhone and apple watch is the best considering the wide presence of Apple in the US. The only android phones that people know of there are from Google and Samsung.
Getting into the Apple ecosystem can be achieved with the iPhone+apple watch and maybe airpods.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:32   #2744
BHPian

Quote:
This looks nice. Does this mean I could use an apple keyboard for windows (if I were to have this skin to show me what the windows keys are)?
Oh, that's an interesting use case. As far as I have experienced, Windows machine requires a USB transmitter/receiver for any wireless device to be set up and I don't think the Apple keyboard comes with anything like that
drive_angry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 17:21   #2745
BHPian

Hello bhpians - am looking to buy the Logitech MK850 keyboard and mouse combo so that I can use it with my windows PC and Mac mini.

The website called GolchhaIT quotes a price which is about Rs 700 cheaper than Amazon (after coupon).
Is this a safe website to buy from with?
Are they legit?
Do they have good product return or warranty policies?
Do any of the BHPians have experience buying from them?

https://golchhait.com/

https://golchhait.com/logitech-keybo...use-combo.html

Thank you .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks