Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2023, 08:05   #3046
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Can you share your experience with the laptop?

Comparing the Mac minis, 50k hike gets me better processor, double ram and double storage.

Thoughts?
Like Ampere had mentioned, if you plan to stay on desktop, the mac mini would be the better choice. But since I havent used any other computers from Apple other than my Macbook Air, I can't comment on other machines.

As for the M2 Macbook Air, it's been a good journey so far. I got it as soon as it went on sale last year.

Some quick notes:
1. Amazing battery. Lasts almost the entire day. I connect couple of bluetooth devices all the time (Mouse, Keyboard, Headphones).
2. Speakers could have been better. It's not bad when you compare with other Windows laptops.
3. No heating issues. I would recommend getting the fast charger. I have the base charger (bought it because of it's compact size) and takes 3 hours to charge. My niece got the fast charger and takes only 1.5 hours.
4. I have the Space grey, so no fingerprint issues. But it does leave oily smudges on the keys.
5. Notch isn't a problem. You wont even notice it's existence.
6. Ultra light - very portable.
7. Even thought I use the base model, it does all work thrown at it. I dont use any high performance softwares but at times, I do use some Adobe products.
8. Apple Mail sucks though - that often crashes especially after the Sonoma update.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 08:19   #3047
BHPian

Quote:
Can you share your experience with the laptop? I'm in the market for an upgrade (making do with 2011 and 2012 iMacs and 2015 MacBook Pro).
Amazon and Flipkart have sales ongoing now - you will get these for lower prices...

Last edited by ampere : 11th October 2023 at 08:43. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 11th October 2023, 09:05   #3048
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For my usage, 99% I will be using at the desk only. For remote work when travelling I have an iPad Air with Logitech keyboard cover.
iMac24 is the one to get, though it's still running with that old M1 chip but if you care about your eyes, there is no other combination that can get you such a monitor and a reasonable performance, all together.

The only other upgrade (if money is not much consideration) - MacBook Pro-16 and that beautiful 5K Apple display

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th October 2023 at 09:18.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 10:52   #3049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You can invest in a good 32 inch 4K display, some nice keyboard / mouse and you are all set. And yes you are correct on the other aspect too. When mobile it's good to have an ipad Air. I do exactly the same!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I already have a 24inch monitor at home, can upgrade to a 32inch one down the line. And have keyboards, mice and trackpads too dime a dozen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
As for the M2 Macbook Air, it's been a good journey so far. I got it as soon as it went on sale last year.
Thankyou for the prompt reply. I've now got a better understanding of the new Mac laptops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Amazon and Flipkart have sales ongoing now - you will get these for lower prices...
Unfortunately, I avoid purchasing from online sites, especially for bigger purchases. Further, many shops will match amazon price from my experience. This is because amazon takes a cut on the selling price, which many sellers are willing to pass on as a discount. Not to mention, no 16 GB variants (custom built) are available on the website as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
iMac24 is the one to get, though it's still running with that old M1 chip but if you care about your eyes, there is no other combination that can get you such a monitor and a reasonable performance, all together.
Yeah, I love the design and I might have considered it too, but sadly, its a little too lacklustre for me. The specs are all fine, but its quite outdated and base model lacks ports. I have a printer and wired mouse attached at all times.

With existing hardware, makes sense to go for the Mini.

Thankyou all for the suggestions, I'm now waiting to see if apple will launch M3 Macs this month. If the iMac 24 comes with it, I'll go for it, or will be going for the Mac mini M2 Pro. Also discovered that apple India website offers GST purchases. When you add to cart and go to the page to add address, it now shows business purchase. This means I can take benefit of 18% input credit.

Also, I checked out couple of shops in Pune, most don't have the Mac mini in stock. Reliance, Vijay sales no longer keep Mac mini and need to either buy it from apple directly or resellers like Maple, iVenus etc. Built-to-order options have 2-3 weeks lead time and they need 100% advance.

Last edited by blackwasp : 11th October 2023 at 10:58.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 21:23   #3050
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou all for the suggestions, I'm now waiting to see if apple will launch M3 Macs this month. If the iMac 24 comes with it, I'll go for it, or will be going for the Mac mini M2 Pro. Also discovered that apple India website offers GST purchases. When you add to cart and go to the page to add address, it now shows business purchase. This means I can take benefit of 18% input credit.

Also, I checked out couple of shops in Pune, most don't have the Mac mini in stock. Reliance, Vijay sales no longer keep Mac mini and need to either buy it from apple directly or resellers like Maple, iVenus etc. Built-to-order options have 2-3 weeks lead time and they need 100% advance.
I recently got myself base Mac mini m2 & quite pleased with performance of the machine. I use it for office 365, lots of tabs open (20+ at times) & other stuff. So far it has never lagged or throttled. Got a monitor & wireless keyboard + mouse. All in everything costed less then 70k. Btw I got it from maple & they were having 4000₹ cashback with hdfc & with business purchase you get 18% GST input credit as well.
Ashutosh_kumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:33   #3051
BHPian

Over the last couple of years, I migrated my computing setup to a mostly Apple one. I was always using an ipad Pro as my tablet since 2017, I started by getting a Mac Mini M1 following which I shifted my phone from a Samsung S21Ultra to a Iphone 14 pro. A few days later, I also bought a Macbook Pro 14. In 2023, I got a great deal on a barely used LG Ultrafine 5K and paired my Mac Mini to that. To complete the setup, I used up my CC reward points to get a Magic Trackpad and a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID for the Mini.

Now, despite having a fantastic laptop, I find myself using the Mini 90% of the time. I am switching to a new work arrangement from next year which will finally allow me to get rid of my Windows work laptop and hopefully then, I can use my MBP more.
Old 31st October 2023, 17:33   #3052
BHPian

MBA 15 (M2) 256G is available for 117363 after student discount at Reliance. What do you think? I will have to shell out 24k for 3 year APP.

Is 512 G a better alternative, knowing that upgrade in mac's is literally impossible now?

I believe it 13% discount and today!

Was waiting for M3 to launch but it is available in Pro version and I will be needing it for more of personal use and for kids.

So do let me know.
Old 31st October 2023, 17:56   #3053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
Is 512 G a better alternative, knowing that upgrade in mac's is literally impossible now?
Depends on your media storage, but looking at how cheap storage has become (OneDrive / iCloud), you could use the upfront savings and get the 256GB version.
Old 13th November 2023, 07:53   #3054
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody know a 3rd party shop in Bangalore that can repair Macbooks? Friend's Macbook Air M2 needs motherboard repair/replacement and Apple quoted around 60k. And yes, it's hardly 14 months old.
Old 14th November 2023, 10:29   #3055
BHPian

Quote:
I just got a a new Magsafe port on my 2015 MacBook Pro as it was not making proper contact with the charger - it had gone black on a couple of pins. I got it done from a chap who used to do door step service before the pandemic, but upon further enquiry, it turned out he was just 10 km away from my home. So paid him a 50% advance to source the parts and he sourced in less than a week. Yesterday went to him and got it fixed in 4-5 hrs.

He's located at Mumbra, and reasonable. I wanted to get my battery changed as well, (1034 cycle count, 4801 mAh - full charge when new 5,698 mAh) but he said wait for some time as rates have shot through the roof. He used to charge 7-8k for OEM batteries but now its 10-12k. I can post his contact details if you are interested.
Please could you share this persons contact details? Thanks!
s4ch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 12:51   #3056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Please could you share this persons contact details? Thanks!
Do you want someone in Pune or Mumbai?
Old 14th November 2023, 13:31   #3057
BHPian

Quote:
Do you want someone in Pune or Mumbai?
Ideally Pune, with Mumbai as a second option. Thanks.
Old 15th November 2023, 16:10   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Ideally Pune, with Mumbai as a second option. Thanks.
Iphone Fixer (the iphone technician) - https://maps.app.goo.gl/vU4UZkz3HKsirgKa7?g_st=ic

He will do it. However before dropping in, make sure the product details are shared accurately with him. This way, if any parts are needed in advance, he will order it.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 13:31   #3059
BHPian

Hello All.

I need some advice on the pricing of Macbook Air for personal use.

The following are the quotes I received from a vendor (in Bengaluru, with whom my employer engages with to procure Macbooks for corporate use).

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screenshot-20231129-1.23.35-pm.png

Please let me know if these prices are fair for both the M1 and M2 versions.

In early October, Amazon had the 13" Macbook Air M1 for sale at around Rs. 67000 (Appario Retail). Do you recommend I wait around for those prices to be offered again? Or, would you recommend I choose offline stores?

Do you also suggest I got for the AppleCare package?

Thank you.
Old 29th November 2023, 13:50   #3060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Please let me know if these prices are fair for both the M1 and M2 versions.
Compare online prices from Amazon and Flipkart, look at card deals etc and decide, that all I can say on quotes. But if you can do get the latest M2 itself while purchasing and for personal use 256 GB is good enough.

Quote:
Do you recommend I wait around for those prices to be offered again? Or, would you recommend I choose offline stores?
Happens over festival but limited to few models, if you really don't have the urgency wait for the next one. I guess Republic Day Jan would be next.

Quote:
Do you also suggest I got for the AppleCare package?

Thank you.
Yes it is definitely peace of mind for that two years and worth every penny since Mac repairs can be expensive.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks