Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 16:59   #1201
Senior - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by san9jay View Post
In most situations there is no real need to run purge. ...
Try it, you will know the difference between getting back 250MB by closing an application, say MS Word with 6 files open, and getting back 1.5GB by purging.
Old 14th June 2013, 17:05   #1202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Try it, you will know the difference between getting back 250MB by closing an application, say MS Word with 6 files open, and getting back 1.5GB by purging.
Sure. I do not doubt you will get back more. The point is you are flushing from memory application or disk cache code. If you switch to anyone of the inactive applications the system will have to reload all of that back to memory. It is best to leave the OS to make the decision what to swap out and when.

/Sanjay
Old 14th June 2013, 17:10   #1203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
Motherboard has been fried, my guess. Same thing happened with me. Take it to AAP. Hope you have ACPP.
If that is the case, how come I am able to boot into Windows installed through Bootcamp. I presume the laptop wouldnt power on at all.
To summarize the issues,
1. The side battery indicator doesnt work
2. Mag safe when connected to the laptop has a steady green light
3. When booting into MAC, I get the grey apple logo, beneath it the circling circle and beneath it the progress bar. This screen first came up when I did the PRAM reset. After the prgress bar completes, laptop shuts down. I am able to perform this activity with mag safe disconnected too.
4. When working on Windows, the battery indicator shows an exclamation mark and when hovering over it, displays "no battery installed".
5. When working on Windows, if I unplug the mag safe, laptop turns off. I cannot turn it back on without connecting the mag safe.

I am able to get into recovery mode and did a verify disk from disk utility, get a message it is Ok
I do not have a timemachine backup
When selecting re-install OSX, it tries to download it from Internet. I can do that, but what happens to the data? Will it get erased?
I have all the version of OSX in my hard disk, I can get them from booting into Windows and copying it from the Macintosh HD. Can I burn them to a DVD, then try to boot it.

Or should I simply take it to the Apple care. I just took the ACPP, so have warranty for the next 2 years.

Last edited by dre@ms : 14th June 2013 at 17:13.
Old 14th June 2013, 17:14   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... It is best to leave the OS to make the decision what to swap out and when. ...
Not when you are about to start Photoshop with 10 pics, and you have <100MB left. One knows from experience.

As I said earlier, I don't even shutdown my system usually, till I know I am going to land up in thick pea soup.
Old 14th June 2013, 17:51   #1205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
but after i updated the OS and installed stuff in that , i am seeing the difference.
Have you tried verifying the disk permissions?
Boot up using an USB and then run disk utility to verify and repair permissions.
Old 14th June 2013, 18:13   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
1. The side battery indicator doesnt work
One option is to remove the battery and then boot into Mac. Not sure if it is supported though. I wouldn't if I were you and I'm adventurous.

At this point your best bet would be to take it in. Let them run the diagnostics. If the battery connector is gone then you are better off getting it replaced under APP. If the mother board is dying you don't want to precipitate it.
Old 14th June 2013, 19:03   #1207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not when you are about to start Photoshop with 10 pics, and you have <100MB left. One knows from experience.

As I said earlier, I don't even shutdown my system usually, till I know I am going to land up in thick pea soup.
Have to disagree with you. Every running app has some non swappable memory and swappable memory.. By using purge you will regain the swappable memory only. If you really want to maximise mem for photoshop you are better off exiting other apps and running photoshop. You will end up with more memory
Old 17th June 2013, 17:09   #1208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
One option is to remove the battery and then boot into Mac. Not sure if it is supported though. I wouldn't if I were you and I'm adventurous.

At this point your best bet would be to take it in. Let them run the diagnostics. If the battery connector is gone then you are better off getting it replaced under APP. If the mother board is dying you don't want to precipitate it.
My MBP doesnt support removing the battery. Anyways, after 1.5 days of struggle, installed Mountain Lion on my formatted HDD in MBP. Now both my Bootcamp Windows 8 and MAC OSX works. But the batteries, no way.
Took it to the Apple Care. They informed to wait until they diagnose, but even after 1 hour, nothing worked at their end. They then informed that they are opening the unit and it will take time and would call me today to update me the status. So made an service entry and left. After 1 hour they called and informed that there is some liquid contact on the battery and logic board. I pretended as if I am not aware. They then said that my battery is good and issue is with only the logic board. They are to do some more diagnosis and will get back to me. I have also informed of the dead pixel kind of thing on my display.

What would be my options now. I am sure they are gonna change the logic board and since it is a liquid contact issue they are going to charge me. When we say charge, it would be huge, keeping in mind it is Apple.
I am not sure what would be happening on the display part. Can I claim both these issue under ACPP?
Old 17th June 2013, 18:21   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
What would be my options now. I am sure they are gonna change the logic board and since it is a liquid contact issue they are going to charge me. When we say charge, it would be huge, keeping in mind it is Apple.
I am not sure what would be happening on the display part. Can I claim both these issue under ACPP?
No one but apple care folks can answer this for sure. They might or they might not cover it under APP.
If they don't cover it and it is expensive, then you could ask them not to change the logic board. At that point you live with it and make sure you back it up with time machine.
Even on the display part they MIGHT refuse if it ain't too many dead pixels.
Old 17th June 2013, 18:27   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
No one but apple care folks can answer this for sure. They might or they might not cover it under APP.
If they don't cover it and it is expensive, then you could ask them not to change the logic board. At that point you live with it and make sure you back it up with time machine.
Even on the display part they MIGHT refuse if it ain't too many dead pixels.
I have already taken the backup of my data, formatted my HDD, installed a fresh copy of mountain lion and then partitioned it into half. The first half has the OS and the second one is used to store my data. In case of the similar scenario again, I need not worry about backup. But I am now serious in procuring a HDD for making time machine backups.
As for as the display, it is a streak of 2 inch line with a width of 1 inch. I wouldnt say it is a dead pixel, but its kind of a deformation of the lcd screen. In that area everything gets displayed and I can see that deformed area by increasing the brightness ot the max and then keeping a black solid color wallpaper as the background. When showed the same to the technicians, they said they will fix it. But fingers crossed.
Old 17th June 2013, 19:19   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Have to disagree with you. Every running app has some non swappable memory and swappable memory ...
Perhaps if you use an MBP under the same circumstances, you will appreciate the issue better.

I agree with the swappable / non-swappable part, but when one is working, one doesn't want to lock horns with theoretical Comp Sc. All that you are pointing out is w.r.t. time taken by a dormant / BG application to start working the *next* time it is brought to foreground. That is not what I am looking at.

If I am working with PS, I still want the other apps, e.g. Word, Excel, browser etc., BUT I want max. memory to be captured by PS. Since there is no other way of telling it to the OS, one needs to do some deviant things to do the same. Nothing new, users have to have their tricks to survive with constrained resources.

Despite Moore's Law, the constraint situation hasn't changed for users in the last 30 years. If processor speed & memory increases, so does the fluff filling in applications in the name of 'facilities' to users. 90% of that is redundant, but still ...
Old 18th June 2013, 06:37   #1212
BHPian

Bhpians,
Purchased yesterday my first Apple Macbook Air 13". Although am having an iPhone and iPad from long time, I was used to the PCs till now. Its my first experience with a mac. I feel am learning using computers all over:-)
A noob question though: Should i purchase Windows office and install in the mac to use word, excel, ppt or is there a native office like software in mac?
Old 18th June 2013, 06:51   #1213
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Bhpians,
Purchased yesterday my first Apple Macbook Air 13". Although am having an iPhone and iPad from long time, I was used to the PCs till now. Its my first experience with a mac. I feel am learning using computers all over:-)
A noob question though: Should i purchase Windows office and install in the mac to use word, excel, ppt or is there a native office like software in mac?
Suggest you buy windows for mac, else all your correspondents and colleagues wont be able to read your files. Unfortunately the majority of users are still n Windows so there is no getting away from it...
Old 18th June 2013, 07:27   #1214
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
Bhpians,
MS Office is available for MAC platforms too. You can install that on your MAC. That should solve your problem.
Old 18th June 2013, 08:58   #1215
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
MS Office is available for MAC platforms too. You can install that on your MAC. That should solve your problem.
My wife also took advantage of the newly introduced "Bring your own device" policy in her organization and dumped the ugly horrible and heavyweight company Lenovo for a beautiful, delicious and aesthetic Mac Air 11". Smart move on her part as it is so easy to carry and so elegant.
Since I also had moved to Mac last year I had got a Windows for Mac Software Box which came with 2 licenses. Of course my Mac is installed with that Software and now so is my Wife's.

Using the Mac Air and the other i Devices, it seems that one has walked away from Darkness into the Light...the change is that palpable.
I cant even imagine using those fat ugly heavy old gen laptop computers anymore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks