Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 23:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Touchpad and Keyboard.....OOB
Graphics, Nvidia (NVinject).... OOB, still figuring out the dual display and HDMI.
USB and FW...........OOB
DVDr....................OOB
Sound............just fiddled and working as of today.
Wifi and LAN........Work in progress, maybe next weekend or next day off.

Last edited by SirAlec : 18th August 2009 at 23:57.
Old 19th August 2009, 00:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Very well written. Thanks!

I have the new Macbook Pro 2008 version and I love the UI. I also run parallels to keep up with office work that still works on MS XP SP3.

I was tempted to try it in Feb but I think my VAIO TX1HP does not have the guts to play along with OS X. Can someone please check and revert? Thank you!

Cheers!
Old 19th August 2009, 23:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

check your lappy for the HCL. link is given in the first post.
Old 20th August 2009, 03:26   #19
Senior - BHPian

Make sure you have a time machine backup before you fiddle anymore with the device drivers or kernel extensions.

One wrong kext is all it takes to stop os x from booting. Also take manual backups of /system/library/extensions folder
Old 20th August 2009, 04:35   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
WHo told you this is act of piracy. What if i have a copy of retail version of Leopard.
Owning a retail "copy" is just a matter of ethics since there's no legal option. i don't know how you define piracy.
Old 20th August 2009, 05:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
Owning a retail "copy" is just a matter of ethics since there's no legal option. i don't know how you define piracy.
Gurupartap, I am sure the mods are knowledgeable enough to distinguish between blatant piracy and doing something for educational purposes.

I suggest you go to this forum to raise your piracy concerns.
Old 20th August 2009, 05:32   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Gurupartap, I am sure the mods are knowledgeable enough to distinguish between blatant piracy and doing something for educational purposes.

I suggest you go to this forum to raise your piracy concerns.
Makes no sense, spadival. Team-BHP != InsanelyMac.
Old 20th August 2009, 15:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Makes no sense, spadival. Team-BHP != InsanelyMac.
Don't tell me that you have bought each and every software that you use on your mac or pc.

also add to that each and every movie or mp3 that you watch and listen too.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Don't tell me that you have bought each and every software that you use on your mac or pc.

also add to that each and every movie or mp3 that you watch and listen too.
I just asked the mods whether they let their members promote piracy wooing information. Barely a request for a reply, whether they do or not. Why so serious?

For your question, I try to buy what I can afford. I don't listen to a lot of music or watch movies. But this won't help you, would it?
Old 20th August 2009, 20:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
WHo told you this is act of piracy. What if i have a copy of retail version of Leopard.

We did patched iphone long ago didn't we.
SirAlec, although I really commend your knowledge about this whole thing. And I feel from the bottom of my heart you've done a commendable job. What you've done is illigal and it voilates Apple's EULA. Basically its illigal to install Mac OS on any non Apple hardware is Illigal.

Havent you heard about Psystar? It is a computer manufacturer that sells PC's which are loaded and run Mac Os (with legal discs) but Apple has bankrupted the company with a lawsuit.

Here are some articles on the same :
Engadget

Although I feel what Apple is doing is wrong, they have essentially bankrupted the company. Making a example out of them and are hence enforcing the rule quite sternly. So basically what we are talking about here is illigal. I am all in all for reverse enginnering but do fell if someone wants to enjoy a Mac OS they are best doing it with Apple hardware, so they they dont face any weird issues with it and shy away.
Old 20th August 2009, 23:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just asked the mods whether they let their members promote piracy wooing information. Barely a request for a reply, whether they do or not. Why so serious?

For your question, I try to buy what I can afford. I don't listen to a lot of music or watch movies. But this won't help you, would it?
who is serious? lolz. just answering your queries. If you feel this thread promotes piracy. and you are the person who feels guilty by doing so, don't follow. Its simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
SirAlec, although I really commend your knowledge about this whole thing. And I feel from the bottom of my heart you've done a commendable job. What you've done is illigal and it voilates Apple's EULA. Basically its illigal to install Mac OS on any non Apple hardware is Illigal.

Havent you heard about Psystar? It is a computer manufacturer that sells PC's which are loaded and run Mac Os (with legal discs) but Apple has bankrupted the company with a lawsuit.

Here are some articles on the same :
Engadget

Although I feel what Apple is doing is wrong, they have essentially bankrupted the company. Making a example out of them and are hence enforcing the rule quite sternly. So basically what we are talking about here is illigal. I am all in all for reverse enginnering but do fell if someone wants to enjoy a Mac OS they are best doing it with Apple hardware, so they they dont face any weird issues with it and shy away.
I am not promoting this in any way. Its just a DIY. and I did mentioned it in my thread its questionable subject. But i do own every software that i like including 7 copies of leopard. Its my business to do so. i feel i can use them where as i want, as i paid for it.

Its a DIY, just like we upsize our cars tyre, add turbo, rechipp the ecu. They too do void our cars warranty.

Last edited by SirAlec : 20th August 2009 at 23:18.
Old 21st August 2009, 00:50   #27
Senior - BHPian

Sir Alec,

I for one appreciate your write up. It gives us something to try and as you say if you have a legal copy of Leopard then who cares. Breaking the EULA is hardly a big time crime (probably just a civil issue in a lot of countries). I know in the UK Apple could do very little against an individual apart from a civil case against the offender.

To me the only people with a problem appear to be apple huggers who can't stand to see someone get their little baby on a laptop for less than half the price they had to pay for their macbook.

Last edited by bigman : 21st August 2009 at 00:51.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Sir Alec,

I for one appreciate your write up. It gives us something to try and as you say if you have a legal copy of Leopard then who cares. Breaking the EULA is hardly a big time crime (probably just a civil issue in a lot of countries). I know in the UK Apple could do very little against an individual apart from a civil case against the offender.

To me the only people with a problem appear to be apple huggers who can't stand to see someone get their little baby on a laptop for less than half the price they had to pay for their macbook.
I am all for cheaper Mac's but if something is wrong and outright illigal I would point it out. When hardware if made in sync with the software you usually get a amazing platform which is rock solid, stable and very usable. Same goes for my love with BB's as well. It has nothing to do with my love for Apple, I do appreciate SirAlec's project but Apple has to have control over the hardware MacOs is installed because user experience would be ruined because of defective drivers by manufacturers and various odd ball issues. And since when are civil cases no big deal? I am not the enemy here my friend I just am standing up for the truth and you are just brushing it aside as if its not a big deal. Let me assure you again it has nothing to do with the love for the Mac.

Quote:
who is serious? lolz. just answering your queries. If you feel this thread promotes piracy. and you are the person who feels guilty by doing so, don't follow. Its simple as that.

I am not promoting this in any way. Its just a DIY. and I did mentioned it in my thread its questionable subject. But i do own every software that i like including 7 copies of leopard. Its my business to do so. i feel i can use them where as i want, as i paid for it.

Its a DIY, just like we upsize our cars tyre, add turbo, rechipp the ecu. They too do void our cars warranty.

It is not a questionable subject, its outright illegal.
And has nothing to do with you owning OS X. Because when you opened the pack of OS X you agreed (as per EULA blah..) that you will not install it on non Apple hardware.
Old 21st August 2009, 11:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
I am all for cheaper Mac's but if something is wrong and outright illigal I would point it out. When hardware if made in sync with the software you usually get a amazing platform which is rock solid, stable and very usable. Same goes for my love with BB's as well. It has nothing to do with my love for Apple, I do appreciate SirAlec's project but Apple has to have control over the hardware MacOs is installed because user experience would be ruined because of defective drivers by manufacturers and various odd ball issues. And since when are civil cases no big deal? I am not the enemy here my friend I just am standing up for the truth and you are just brushing it aside as if its not a big deal. Let me assure you again it has nothing to do with the love for the Mac.
Illegal implies it is a criminal offence, civil cases are not exactly criminal cases and mean nothing, they are just a dispute taken to court. This is just a contractual issue, no one is going to march an indivdual off to court for breaking an EULA. I think you need to clear up your confusion over criminal (illegal) and simple civil disputes.

At no point did Sir Alec claim you would be getting an amazing product. The whole thing is educational and experimental. Most people trying this are aware of this. I remember the early 90's when I tried linux out, could not get it working on my TI CPU computer properly so I installed W3.11. Not much of a problem, if it don't work remove it.

I think you will find there are much more serious activities discussed on the board which could be illegal. Upgrading performance and not informing your insurance company will invalidate your insurance which in turn means you are driving with no insurance so this is illegal...but we still discuss upgrades to squeeze a few extra bhp out of a car on the forum. What about the threads where people ask about making their xbox special and where to buy those special games from?

Quote:
It is not a questionable subject, its outright illegal. And has nothing to do with you owning OS X. Because when you opened the pack of OS X you agreed (as per EULA blah..) that you will not install it on non Apple hardware.
Please stop throwing this word illegal around, its just a civil contractual matter. Also there other issues, you pay for the item before you get to read the EULA so imposing terms and conditions after consideration has occurred is not exactly enforceable.

Also I heard this works very well on Dell Mini 9's. Might buy one just to turn into a cheap Mac powered Netbook, might even take it into the local Apple shop to show them my new £180 netbook.

Last edited by bigman : 21st August 2009 at 11:48.
Old 21st August 2009, 12:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Please stop throwing this word illegal around, its just a civil contractual matter. Also there other issues, you pay for the item before you get to read the EULA so imposing terms and conditions after consideration has occurred is not exactly enforceable.

Check out this article on the same subject - Forget the Courts

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks