Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2009, 16:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

What a point. i salute you.
Quote:
Please stop throwing this word illegal around, its just a civil contractual matter. Also there other issues, you pay for the item before you get to read the EULA so imposing terms and conditions after consideration has occurred is not exactly enforceable.
This was supposed to be a DIY for educational purpose only. And see where its leading too.

Anti-piracy advocate can just report the post to moderator. Look at the bright side you earn a post count for that too here in tbhp.
No need to clutter a thread and comment which add no value to it.

People! i am in this biz, Don't talk about eula. Here is an example. and do try this.
I am taking HP in this account, as they are neck to neck with MS. Choose a HP lappy (prpbably pavillion) with vista, ask the sales rep to discount the cost of Vista OEM Biz (about Rs.7800) from the cost, Because you will not agree with the EULA.
and they will try to tell you 'isme xp wagarah jayega nahi.

and post here how sucessfull you are in doing so.

I bought it its my right how i can use it. Just like we put any oil we like in our car, they do insist to put the oil from their workshop don't they.

Also here is a question. What will you buy an iphone from vodaphone @ 39k (that takes vodaphone sim only, they will earn eventually as you are going to use it) or a patched one @ 22k from palika?
I don't know about most but i will definitely go for the latter even if i have tons of money to through around.

Last edited by SirAlec : 21st August 2009 at 17:05.
Old 21st August 2009, 17:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
It is not a questionable subject, its outright illegal. And has nothing to do with you owning OS X. Because when you opened the pack of OS X you agreed (as per EULA blah..) that you will not install it on non Apple hardware.
I honestly don't feel there isn't anything in there to make it sound so serious. Psystar was a commercial venture- this is nothing but an individual (even if you take project OSx86, its still a group of individuals) DIY. If Project OSx86 is still active, then you gotta figure that out how

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Illegal implies it is a criminal offence, civil cases are not exactly criminal cases and mean nothing, they are just a dispute taken to court. This is just a contractual issue, no one is going to march an indivdual off to court for breaking an EULA. I think you need to clear up your confusion over criminal (illegal) and simple civil disputes.

I think you will find there are much more serious activities discussed on the board which could be illegal. Upgrading performance and not informing your insurance company will invalidate your insurance which in turn means you are driving with no insurance so this is illegal...but we still discuss upgrades to squeeze a few extra bhp out of a car on the forum. What about the threads where people ask about making their xbox special and where to buy those special games from?

Please stop throwing this word illegal around, its just a civil contractual matter. Also there other issues, you pay for the item before you get to read the EULA so imposing terms and conditions after consideration has occurred is not exactly enforceable.

Also I heard this works very well on Dell Mini 9's. Might buy one just to turn into a cheap Mac powered Netbook, might even take it into the local Apple shop to show them my new £180 netbook.
Totally agree. And curious to know more about Dell Mini 9- does OS X work out of the box, or do we need to go through Project OSx86?
Old 21st August 2009, 17:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

People have done it on acer one. so dell mini should support too.
and even if it not OOB, there are many drivers created by members (don't ask which forum) for most of the peripherals.
Old 21st August 2009, 17:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

I am no one to ruin anyone's party here, but you're making it sound like you are doing nothing. Thats what I had a problem with. Lets not get into civil v/s criminal whatever. Basically its wrong thats all. I am sorry if I upset the mood of this thread, mind putting up a disclaimer in the first post? Also please do mention about the degraded user experience because this is a experimental thing. So people dont shy away from Mac's. Ask any Mac lover why.

On another note you mentioned you had 8 copies of leopard may I ask how? You obviously have Apple hardware as well can I know what are you running?
Old 21st August 2009, 18:06   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am no one to ruin anyone's party here, but you're making it sound like you are doing nothing. Thats what I had a problem with. Lets not get into civil v/s criminal whatever. Basically its wrong thats all. I am sorry if I upset the mood of this thread, mind putting up a disclaimer in the first post? Also please do mention about the degraded user experience because this is a experimental thing. So people dont shy away from Mac's. Ask any Mac lover why.

On another note you mentioned you had 8 copies of leopard may I ask how? You obviously have Apple hardware as well can I know what are you running?
Lolz! You havn't spoilt the mood here. Why do you got to have a problem on a public forum.

You are being like a veggan who always advocate against meat lovers. Its individual choice.

If you read my post in detail, i clearly mentioned its an experimental thing only. and all the plus and minus. etc etc.

BTW here are the answers for your queries.

most of the apple xeon are running running FCP.

To your surprise and mine too, XPS boots faster than a Mac book pro. only problem being wifi not working yet. havn't crashed a single bit, its running FCP without any issue, even opening a 8gb project with ease.

WHat do you think apple hardware is. i understand, It was complex to understand when it was powered by PPC, (i even have a G5). only sound card and some peripheral that apple uses are proprietary. Beleive me I repair them and i am authorised to do so for the two state.

with your commented, it reminds me of long ago when i started my biz, when people and most magazine (baised as always) debated that peole should buy only branded PCs, assembled ones are crap. Blah blah.! and where is the market now. its open.

Last edited by SirAlec : 21st August 2009 at 18:08.
Old 21st August 2009, 19:14   #36
BHPian

My question still hasn't been answered. Is it OK to post information that violates legal agreements whereby you're bound to use the entitled stuff only if you agree? I'm asking the mods in public. Please respect. (And for the goodness' sake, don't compare software EULA violation to car's warranty term violation.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
who is serious? lolz. just answering your queries. If you feel this thread promotes piracy. and you are the person who feels guilty by doing so, don't follow. Its simple as that.
SirAlec, it seems you don't want anyone else to express their views here, by trying to suppress with off topic remarks rather than getting to point. (Like you asked me if everything I use was paid for or not)

You're trying to shoo me away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Also here is a question. What will you buy an iphone from vodaphone @ 39k (that takes vodaphone sim only, they will earn eventually as you are going to use it) or a patched one @ 22k from palika?
I don't know about most but i will definitely go for the latter even if i have tons of money to through around.
And for the iPhone part, I paid a full grand for factory unlocked iPhone 3GS, so I don't have to mess with jailbreaking to use carrier of my choice, etc. I don't know why you're getting to personal topics like, "if you will pay x amount of monies for not doing piracy", etc. By God's grace I'm able to buy whatever software or gadget I find the need for, so please end these.

This supremacy of views can't end easily. I'm not saying it's bad to learn anything. I'm just saying do we want to discuss this here?

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 21st August 2009 at 19:28.
Old 21st August 2009, 19:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Dude! Please stick to the thread. If you want to express you feeling about a concern start another one. This idea of this thread is very cleanly expressed on the first page.

PS:Now i will not advocate my legality on this. Will answer queries regarding this project only. I wanted to do this i did and i am quite happy with it. People who don't like, its their problem.

As far as this forum is concerned there are similar posts already there. Like iphone patching, jailbreaking etc. So get over it.

Last edited by SirAlec : 21st August 2009 at 19:24.
Old 21st August 2009, 19:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
My question still hasn't been answered. Is it OK to post information that violates legal agreements whereby you're bound to use the entitled stuff only if you agree? I'm asking the mods in public. Please respect.

SirAlec, it seems you don't want anyone else to express their views here, by trying to suppress with off topic remarks rather than getting to point. (Like you asked me if everything I use was paid for or not)
Gurupartap

This matter of EULA has been badgered silly in a lot of forums. As far as EULA and the restrictions are concerned - one can write, print and distribute the product with any condition one can think of - BUT the question is can it be enforced in the court of law. IF it could have been enforced there will be no project OSx on wiki - simple! NO court is likely to or has passed a favourable verdict (cause its one-sided and restrictive) - if it could have, there would have been gazillion suits already. There are forums like Hackint0sh dedicated only to apple products - there are sites like iclarified which give you downloads and tutorials of how to crack your iphone - amongst other things ... I could go on.

So fine - you have made your point - but going on about it is not adding any value. All the information is available for FREE. This is not a profit venture (in which case it can be illegal - which is why the other guy/company got shut down)

No one can tell me/anyone what to run their computer with - so long as I/they have a valid legal copy of any software, and vice versa! And fortunately, the laws of the land also support this view currently! Hence nothing official about it!!

Last edited by kb100 : 21st August 2009 at 19:44.
Old 21st August 2009, 19:52   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My question still hasn't been answered. Is it OK to post information that violates legal agreements whereby you're bound to use the entitled stuff only if you agree? I'm asking the mods in public. Please respect. (And for the goodness' sake, don't compare software EULA violation to car's warranty term violation.)
Your question about so called legality have been answered in posts in this thread. Please read them before harping on about the same thing. The EULA are civil contractual agreements. An individual can break an EULA without it being illegal!

The status of EULA is also questionable as legally you are not informed about the terms of the EULA when you pay your money for the OS. The consumer should be made aware of the contractual side of the EULA before he hands over the money. You cannot apply agreements in retrospect!

Also its just a civil contractual dispute and not some big time crime, so nothing illegal about it!

I really do get the feeling of sour grapes on the part of the Apple huggers, they have forked out ££££ and now can't stand people getting similar items for £££.

I had a 1st gen. 8GB iphone, bought it in England for £160 (I think, was a while back). Did not bother activating it in itunes and signing up for an expensive monthly contract, jailbroken and unlocked within 30 minutes of the phone landing in my hands. Then popped in an old prepaid sim, played with it for a day before I got bored with it.
Old 21st August 2009, 19:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Gurupartap

This matter of EULA has been badgered silly in a lot of forums. As far as EULA and the restrictions are concerned - one can write, print and distribute the product with any condition one can think of - BUT the question is can it be enforced in the court of law. IF it could have been enforced there will be no project OSx on wiki - simple! NO court is likely to or has passed a favourable verdict (cause its one-sided and restrictive) - if it could have, there would have been gazillion suits already. There are forums like Hackint0sh dedicated only to apple products - there are sites like iclarified which give you downloads and tutorials of how to crack your iphone - amongst other things ... I could go on.

So fine - you have made your point - but going on about it is not adding any value. All the information is available for FREE. This is not a profit venture (in which case it can be illegal - which is why the other guy/company got shut down)

No one can tell me/anyone what to run their computer with - so long as I/they have a valid legal copy of any software, and vice versa! And fortunately, the laws of the land also support this view currently! Hence nothing official about it!!
It'll be too sarcastic to repeat my own words. But it's ok. I know what you mean, and totally agree. Since we want more right on the stuff we buy. Companies usually don't make any cases against non-commercial piracy databases/info. Since even this side of market promotes their actual sales, as more people get to know what they'll get. But there are people with more information about it. I'll take another road.

Although I just invited mods to reply me but it's ok. Your positive tone made it good for me. hehe. Thanks!

Quote:
Your question about so called legality have been answered in posts in this thread. Please read them before harping on about the same thing. The EULA are civil contractual agreements. An individual can break an EULA without it being illegal!

The status of EULA is also questionable as legally you are not informed about the terms of the EULA when you pay your money for the OS. The consumer should be made aware of the contractual side of the EULA before he hands over the money. You cannot apply agreements in retrospect!

Also its just a civil contractual dispute and not some big time crime, so nothing illegal about it!
It's ok man. My question was just to the mods..!!! about their policy here..!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I really do get the feeling of sour grapes on the part of the Apple huggers, they have forked out ££££ and now can't stand people getting similar items for £££.

I had a 1st gen. 8GB iphone, bought it in England for £160 (I think, was a while back). Did not bother activating it in itunes and signing up for an expensive monthly contract, jailbroken and unlocked within 30 minutes of the phone landing in my hands. Then popped in an old prepaid sim, played with it for a day before I got bored with it.
Yeah, but that's not really the case with me. But definitely I'm more interested in talking all this since OS X is what also earns me my living.

--

Let's stick to thread starters topic. His thread. Definitely up to the moderators. (Since they also entertained jailbreaking, etc. threads)

Last edited by Gurpartap Singh : 21st August 2009 at 20:01.
Old 21st August 2009, 20:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah, but that's not really the case with me. But definitely I'm more interested in talking all this since OS X is what also earns me my living.

Just curious - your profile says you are a 20 yr old student - hence the question about the 'earning your living' bit (pardon me and ignore if you think its personal)

Quote:
It'll be too sarcastic to repeat my own words. But it's ok. I know what you mean, and totally agree. Since we want more right on the stuff we buy. Companies usually don't make any cases against non-commercial piracy databases/info. Since even this side of market promotes their actual sales, as more people get to know what they'll get. But there are people with more information about it. I'll take another road.

Although I just invited mods to reply me but it's ok. Your positive tone made it good for me. hehe. Thanks!
1. I meant no offence -

2. I have a Vista machine (all legal and OEM)

3. I however have an iPhone 2G bought paying 'Top-Dollah' - $500 with bill and all from their own apple store. They gave it to me without the contract all right - but it was still locked! - now that is NOT nice! (that too when they did not have any tie ups in India)

4. I LOVE the Mac OS. I love their products - but I don't agree with their business methodology and practices.

5. My new dining table can, and will, be used for other purposes too. (this is the legality they have not been able to get around - no one can tell you what to do with things you have paid for, or how its to be used ... and honestly - thank heavens for that!)

6. My lappy is an XPS 1330 - hence my interest in this thread!

Quote:

My question was just to the mods..!!! about their policy here..!!!!!!!!!
Once again, no offence - but if it was just to the mods, you were better off PM-ing them - or using the 'report post' feature.

Putting it up here will get the public involved, and views will flow!

Last edited by kb100 : 21st August 2009 at 20:22.
Old 21st August 2009, 20:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I meant no offence -

3. I however have an iPhone 2G bought paying 'Top-Dollah' - $500 with bill and all from their own apple store. They gave it to me without the contract all right - but it was still locked! - now that is NOT nice! (that too when they did not have any tie ups in India)

4. I LOVE the Mac OS. I love their products - but I don't agree with their business methodology and practices.

5. My new dining table can, and will, be used for other purposes too. (this is the legality they have not been able to get around - no one can tell you what to do with things you have paid for, or how its to be used ... and honestly - thank heavens for that!)

Thanks for the interest. atleast someone is in tune with me.

I praise Jobs and Stevy boy Woz for their insight long ago. They were way ahead of Gates, its this kind of timid thinking they lagged behind. Guess what a computer company saver was a piece of music machine.

Its like i am an MBA who couldn't be placed anywhere and earned a fortune by selling Sabzi or chai in an innovative way.
Old 21st August 2009, 20:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
1. I meant no offence -

1. I took none.

2. Great, I have Vista HP license. But on my dad's MacBook. Windows 7 on desktop, with that free 1 year license.

3. So will I have a story a year from now. Won't be the best thing by then. But I won't say Apple should stop adding innovation to/improving their products. Don't want to imagine that right now.

4. I like Mac OS X. My daily use computer. Minimalistic. Makes total sense to me.

5. lol

6. I had hackintosh on my desktop before I got my first real mac. lol

1.a. Your replies were amazingly pleasant. I took no offense.

Quote:
Just curious - your profile says you are a 20 yr old student - hence the question about the 'earning your living' bit (pardon me and ignore if you think its personal)
yeah, the interests took me to get myself employed online. (i work for a company taking work from a major entertainment studio in US. Websites and iPhone apps for them//)

Quote:
Once again, no offence - but if it was just to the mods, you were better off PM-ing them - or using the 'report post' feature.

Putting it up here will get the public involved, and views will flow!
You're right, but I still wanted their reply in public. Otherwise they would have just ignored the "report" if they do not mind such topics. But let's end. I'm not interested to defend anything now. (:

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th August 2009 at 20:45. Reason: only 2 smilies per post please. thanks
Old 22nd August 2009, 14:42   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am no one to ruin anyone's party here, but you're making it sound like you are doing nothing. Thats what I had a problem with. Lets not get into civil v/s criminal whatever. Basically its wrong thats all.
Whats wrong??? There are thousands of users out there and multitudes of online forums dedicated to hackintosh. Apple hasn't even bothered to send these forums a cease and desist letter, much less sued them in court. If Apple generally tolerates the hackintosh community and non-commercial use of OS X on non apple hardware, I dont know why you are getting your knickers in a twist over it!!

Quote:
Also please do mention about the degraded user experience because this is a experimental thing.
.. Maybe he didn't mention anything about "degraded user experience", because there isn't any degradation !! I don't know how you can imply that the user experience will be degraded without actually using a hackintosh. Man, you are sounding like a used car sales man there.
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
.. Maybe he didn't mention anything about "degraded user experience", because there isn't any degradation !! I don't know how you can imply that the user experience will be degraded without actually using a hackintosh. Man, you are sounding like a used car sales man there.
You are right. as i mentioned above, the xps boots and shutsdown faster than my macbook pro 17 inch.

i have loaded FCP and it opens and saves a 8gb project file with equal ease.

and i even tried to play multi GB big files from windows ntfs partition, without any issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks