Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:55   #46
Senior - BHPian

i couldn't get the intel wifi card working yet. but planning to swap and try with different make. like atheros which is in one of my acer.

out of the Box support is for Dell wifi card. most people that i know have used a linksys usb wifi as a temporary solution.
Old 24th August 2009, 04:12   #47
Senior - BHPian

Chances of getting wifi to work is quite slim. I believe there is a driver available for the Intel mini PCI wifi, but it does not support WPA, WPA2 !! Most users switch to Broadcom mini PCI wifi, as drivers are easily available and work without any issues.

Also, I hope you have QE/CI showing up as supported in System Profiler:

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Quartz Extreme: Supported

I had initially put OS X on my Vaio, but it had no wifi and no gfx support. It seems Sony has a weird way of hooking up the display. Meanwhile, my Comphaq has support for everything, you would think that its a re-incarnation of mac itself
Old 24th August 2009, 15:25   #48
Senior - BHPian

The work for intel wifi is going on. Its seems atheros also doesn't work. but a usb dlink wifi works OOB.

^^^PS not all compaq works. one with intel GMA, azalia sound and broadcom Lan. Same problem, wifi.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:38   #49
BHPian

anyone tried this with ibm/lenovo thinkpads. I have an x61s and was wondering if it would work. Checked the iatkos supported platforms and x61s series is supported but a slightly different model number.
For now i am running on vmware :-)
Old 24th August 2009, 20:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

OT: Someone mentioned increasing internet speed.

@SirAlec: Is it feasible for me to increase the speed at which my computer connects to the wifi modem. I am the sole user but never seems to get more than 2% on the meter.

Thanks in advance.
Old 25th August 2009, 00:28   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
OT: Someone mentioned increasing internet speed.

@SirAlec: Is it feasible for me to increase the speed at which my computer connects to the wifi modem. I am the sole user but never seems to get more than 2% on the meter.

Thanks in advance.
Its just a feelgood factor.

It solely depends upon the speed that your router gets from WAN.

Your computer connects to the wifi router at either 11mbps, 54 mbps or 108 mbps depending on the wifi standards, distance, channel etc.

I assume you are checking the speed through task manager, thats rubbish.

PS: If you feel your internet speed is slow, connect using a cat5e patch directly to the router and compare the speeds.
Old 31st August 2009, 13:34   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Its just a feelgood factor.

It solely depends upon the speed that your router gets from WAN.

Your computer connects to the wifi router at either 11mbps, 54 mbps or 108 mbps depending on the wifi standards, distance, channel etc.

I assume you are checking the speed through task manager, thats rubbish.

PS: If you feel your internet speed is slow, connect using a cat5e patch directly to the router and compare the speeds.
Yeah I agree the task manager speed check is not correct. I wanted to know if I can hog all the bandwidth of the router and whatever is being aired. I am the only wireless user at home. The PC is linked directly. This is just for knowledge nothing to do with speed from the ISP. ISP speed is sick 386kbps on 512 line.
Old 31st August 2009, 22:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

You can hog the whole bandwidth during normal surfing.

If you are specifically talking about downloading stuff, two best bandwidth hogger are bittorent clients and P2P sofware like Limewire.

Explaining how to use these clients to its utmost potential is beyond the scope of this forum. and ethically I should not dare post that.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:17   #54
BHPian

Quote:
You are right. as i mentioned above, the xps boots and shutsdown faster than my macbook pro 17 inch.

i have loaded FCP and it opens and saves a 8gb project file with equal ease.

and i even tried to play multi GB big files from windows ntfs partition, without any issue.
Sir, a good DYI, EFI (for intels) or Open firmware for Gx variants are similar to bios are a mechanism for Mac Os to able to boot on a apple designed hardware and Hackintosh project bypasses this. however with the under pinnings of the Mac OsX are kind of fine tuned to the apple hardware, how do you find the performance to be? I found the performance of a Mac Os on a legacy P4 2 GHZ to be lackluster. I have tried 10.5.x on a normal PC. Mac Os Boots on my 15inch MBP faster than windows XP in my normal windows PC.
Old 1st September 2009, 10:00   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Hackintosh! Leopard (Apple OSX 10.5.5) on PC
Other way: Windows 7 works great on the MacBook Pro
Old 1st September 2009, 10:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Does this work with Snow Leopard as well?
By the way, after Panther, Tiger, Leopard and now Snow Leopard have you wondered what the next Mac OS will be? Yeti?
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
In fact i have tried XP sp2 on a mac long ago. It works very fast.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

For those of you who had serious concerns, now my Comphaq actually satisfies one of the conditions of the EULA.

"This License allows you to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time"

Hackintosh! Leopard (Apple OSX 10.5.5) on PC-apple-label.jpg

Now I just need to buy the damn license.. . Waiting for the Snow Leopard release to stabilize before I buy the Box set which gives me the full license (not the $39 upgrade from Leopard).
Old 17th September 2009, 00:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

lolz! that was real smart.
Old 28th September 2009, 18:30   #60
Senior - BHPian

A question to OS guru's: The workstations in my office are HP branded and come with Vista Business as OEM. My office hace asked them to replace them with Windows XP.
Can I use the key written on the Microsoft Original sticker on the machine and then install the Vista Business on my home pc??

Last edited by extreme_torque : 28th September 2009 at 18:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks