Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2023, 23:48   #6796
avk
BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

I bought a lenovo yoga 6 13ALC7 laptop Win 11. The tablet mode is not getting enabled when the screen is rotated. Looking for a way to enable it if someone has bought the same model or something similar having tablet mode.

Thanks,
Old 26th January 2023, 00:34   #6797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
I bought a lenovo yoga 6 13ALC7 laptop Win 11. The tablet mode is not getting enabled when the screen is rotated.
Have you made sure that all the drivers are installed properly? There must be some Lenovo app which takes care of drivers and utilities, check that one for missing drivers and utilities and also check the Windows updates.

I don't have Lenovo flip, instead have the Asus Zenbook flip and never faced such issues. Even I cleaned up the hard disk and installed fresh Windows downloaded from the Microsoft website and tablet mode working in that as well. Tablet mode is working fine in Linux also which is my preferred OS barring few proprietary Asus functions which work only in Windows.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2023 at 09:20. Reason: Typos
tbppjpr is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 01:48   #6798
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Have you made sure that all the drivers are installed properly? There must be some Lenovo app which takes care of drivers and utilities, check that one for missing drivers and utilities and also check the Windows updates.
Yes, I did update all the drivers, utilities and Windows updates. Didn't work. Read somewhere to roll back the Windows updates to check if it works but didn't solve it.

Anyways I have put up a question in the Lenovo forum. Hopefully someone there can share a solution to this issue. Thank you for your reply.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2023 at 09:21. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 24th February 2023, 08:27   #6799
BHPian

TeamBHPians, hopefully this is the correct thread for such questions. I’m looking to buy a laptop for my parents. The one they have is old now. It runs fine but the battery is bad - I replaced the battery last year, but it is back at the same place now. The laptop is old and dated, so I figured I might as well get them a new one, which will last them for a few years.

Their main usage is reading various newspapers online, watching stuff on Prime video and casual browsing. Having a backlit keyboard would be an added bonus. I don’t have a specific budget except under 50k, but cheaper the better.
Old 24th February 2023, 21:30   #6800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post

Their main usage is reading various newspapers online, watching stuff on Prime video and casual browsing. Having a backlit keyboard would be an added bonus. I don’t have a specific budget except under 50k, but cheaper the better.
If data consumption is their main use then an iPad may be a better choice.
Old 25th February 2023, 09:13   #6801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
If data consumption is their main use then an iPad may be a better choice.
They already have an iPad for media consumption, but they are also more comfortable with laptop for things like viewing excel spreadsheet etc
Old 25th February 2023, 10:39   #6802
BHPian

Quote:
They already have an iPad for media consumption, but they are also more comfortable with laptop for things like viewing excel spreadsheet etc
Gert a laptop with MIL-STD 810H rated metal chassis. You can get Asus Zenbook 13 with Ryzen 5000 series under 59K. They are super lightweight (1.14Kg), super efficient and come with gorgeous 100% DCI-P3 HDR OLED display. Since the small laptops do not have full sized keyboard so the users miss the numpad but not the case with the Zenbooks, they come with a integrated touch numpad in the touchpad which is a must for Excel users.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 25th February 2023 at 10:40.
Old 25th February 2023, 13:06   #6803
BANNED

Quote:
Any Dell 40K & more would be more sufficient. I have seen retail stores have it cheaper than Dell website. Also you can bargain with the stores - many of them have some freebies which if you don't want, you can ask them to reduce the price in lieu of the freebie. After buying from the store, get an extended warranty from Dell by emailing them - it's cheaper than the extended warranty they sell you at the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Gert a laptop with MIL-STD 810H rated metal chassis.
IMHO, this is overkill for home use. Also, my Dell Inspiron (around 60+K with Office & Extended warranty) has worked out better than a T-Series Thinkpad for home use. The T-Series chassis may be better but it's not of any use for a laptop kept at home & the other parts get spoiled much before the chassis.
Old 27th March 2023, 18:57   #6804
BHPian

I am in the market after a long time. Last one for my personal use was Dell - bought 8 years back, otherwise I am always on my office provided HP laptop.

Now I need one for my son who will be joining engineering course this year. Requirements would be, apart from course related work, gaming also

He has shortlisted two:
  • HP Victus 15-fa0092TX Intel Core i5 12th Gen (15.6 inch, 16GB, 512GB, Windows 11, MS Office 2021, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, FHD Display, Performance Blue, 788X8PA#ACJ)
  • ASUS TUF Dash F15 (2022), 15.6" (39.62 cms) FHD 144Hz, Intel Core i5-12450H 12th Gen, 4GB GeForce RTX 3050 Graphics, Gaming Laptop (16GB/512GB SSD/Windows 11/with Office/Black/2 kg), FX517ZC-HN084WS

Any suggestions on these? I stay in Bengaluru North, so is it recommended to buy from Croma like vendors or purchase online?
Old 28th March 2023, 14:25   #6805
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I am in the market after a long time. Last one for my personal use was Dell - bought 8 years back, otherwise I am always on my office provided HP laptop.

Now I need one for my son who will be joining engineering course this year. Requirements would be, apart from course related work, gaming also

He has shortlisted two:
  • HP Victus 15-fa0092TX Intel Core i5 12th Gen (15.6 inch, 16GB, 512GB, Windows 11, MS Office 2021, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050, FHD Display, Performance Blue, 788X8PA#ACJ)
  • ASUS TUF Dash F15 (2022), 15.6" (39.62 cms) FHD 144Hz, Intel Core i5-12450H 12th Gen, 4GB GeForce RTX 3050 Graphics, Gaming Laptop (16GB/512GB SSD/Windows 11/with Office/Black/2 kg), FX517ZC-HN084WS
Brother, if your son is going to game, my suggestion would to be to go for atleast the RTX 3060. It is much superior than the RTX 3050 and has 6 gigs of dedicated RAM vs 4 GB in RTX 3050. The RTX 3060 laptops are available for only a slight premium over the RTX 3050-

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0BJL73VH7?...ogi&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0B56CZ8Y1?...ogi&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0BSFZQKNK?...ogi&th=1&psc=1

This site is quite helpful during laptop searches-

https://gaming.unboxparadigm.com/

Between the 2 options suggested, I would prefer the HP. I do accept that I do not have a very strong technical reason to back my preference. I have heard of HP having better cooling than ASUS TUF, HP being a better brand and better service of HP vis-a-vis ASUS.

Last edited by AYP : 28th March 2023 at 14:27.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 18:18   #6806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post

Between the 2 options suggested, I would prefer the HP. I do accept that I do not have a very strong technical reason to back my preference. I have heard of HP having better cooling than ASUS TUF, HP being a better brand and better service of HP vis-a-vis ASUS.
On the HP Cooling part, I dont know if the new HP Laptops are redesigned on the cooling front, but my experience from an old HP laptop I had their fan assembly design was pathetic to say the least.

To clean the fan assembly, one literally needs to take apart half the laptop to get to the fan.
Fillmore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 10:25   #6807
BHPian

I have been using my work laptop for personal use as well. But recently the organization has added more tight digital monitoring. So thinking of getting myself a laptop for personal use. It needs to have decent performance, durability and portable. Like to have Intel Evo certification and military grade certification. My past laptops were dell and hp. I find the former very costly and latter very flimsy.
I have short listed Acer Swift series and Asus Zenbook (recent Asus models have military grade cerification). How are these models for a long term usage ?. How are the after sales service for these companies ? I found MSI modern series also bang for the buck, but heard that their service network is not good.
Old 5th April 2023, 13:56   #6808
mxx
BHPian

I had a very bad experience with Dell. I bought a Dell 5000 series 2 in 1 laptop 18 months back. I bought it for my wife to replace her 6+ year old Hp x360 laptop. Both hp x360 and Dell 2 in 1 can be used as tablet by moving the lid 360 degrees. 12-13 months into its use, the lid started to bend slightly towards the hinge and the screen detached from frame. The service center said this is a common issue, in fact they understood the problem and gave me a verbal cost estimate as soon as they saw the problem. They said it is because of the 360 degree rotate mechanism, but our hp x360 with the same mechanism is now almost 8 years old and still has no problem (my daughter is still using it now). I recently exchanged the dell laptop because this is obviously a design flaw and will recur again. Also the keyboard was starting to act erratic. We usually keep our laptops for 5 or more years, this was the first time we are selling a laptop in less than 2 years.
Only good thing was the service was prompt and was complete way before the estimated date. But among the other laptops that I have owned - hp, asus and acer- we never had to visit the service center at all.
I dont know how good Dell's business laptop range is, but the consumer range hardware built is below par and flimsy.

Last edited by mxx : 5th April 2023 at 13:59.
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 23:12   #6809
BHPian

Need to buy me a secondary laptop just for working on docs and presentation. And for watching movies while traveling. I already have a gaming laptop as a primary one but it’s too heavy to carry around with its paraphernalia. Would like to keep the budget under 30K with MS office included. Suggestions?
Old 25th April 2023, 17:04   #6810
BHPian

Any users of ASUS ZenBook? Thinking of buying the Zenbook S13 just because it is portable. Do they last for 6~7 years, hardware wise? Replacement batteries available in IT Marketplace?
I need a Thin and Light Laptop for Emails, Spreadsheets, Word Processing, Image editing, and Presentations and will use with an external Monitor at work.
I had purchased( I thought I did) the Latitude 3550 but after a week it seems that the Credit card wasn't charged and only the order was placed. The whole experience with Dell has left a bad taste. They are simply unreachable or don't care. Once that is sorted, need a portable laptop ( max 14 inch screen) with 1 TB SSD, Intel i5 12 gen or 13 is fine ( Dont have user reviews on Ryzen hence not considered), RAM is not relevant as nothing processor hungry is done.
Other alternative is a MacBook Air but I want to avoid it ( for the trouble of transferring existing files and folders and my office IT guy not comfortable with the hardware).
Optics are important as I have client visits too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks