Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 21:04   #2416
Senior - BHPian

Since you are confused, I suggest you just leave it as it is, run it for a month or so with all installs you need, and then decide how much space you want on C:. make sure you keep a list of every install and change you make.

then you can do a OS reinstall and organize the way you want.
Old 9th June 2010, 21:21   #2417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Since you are confused, I suggest you just leave it as it is, run it for a month or so with all installs you need, and then decide how much space you want on C:. make sure you keep a list of every install and change you make.

then you can do a OS reinstall and organize the way you want.
Yeah, guess I will see for a month or so and then make the changes if required. I anyways now know how to get that done Thanks
Old 10th June 2010, 11:56   #2418
BHPian

I need to buy a desktop for my father. Need a basic but reliable model.
Primary use will be email and skype.
Can anyone recommend if there has been a purchase in recent past.
Old 10th June 2010, 12:18   #2419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I need to buy a desktop for my father. Need a basic but reliable model.
Primary use will be email and skype.
Can anyone recommend if there has been a purchase in recent past.
Whats your budget? and why only desktop? there are lot of call centre discarded (they are fine only discarded as they are not latest on features etc) desktops for dirt cheap if u want to use PC ONLY for this purpose and dont mind a second hand product. In delhi you get them from 4k to 7k.

Dont forget to do a thorough check.
Old 10th June 2010, 14:20   #2420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Whats your budget? and why only desktop? there are lot of call centre discarded (they are fine only discarded as they are not latest on features etc) desktops for dirt cheap if u want to use PC ONLY for this purpose and dont mind a second hand product. In delhi you get them from 4k to 7k.

Dont forget to do a thorough check.

Budget is ~ 20K.
I perfer a fresh stock since it is for elderly who are not too computer literate and might find it difficult to isolate any failures.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:46   #2421
Senior - BHPian

Hey LonelyPlanet, I would suggest you to get a netbook instead. It fits your criteria, budget, easy to handle, doesnt take space and portable.Plus it has a battery backup so long power cuts/travelling are also no issue. Think about it.

Last edited by sammyboy : 10th June 2010 at 17:49.
Old 10th June 2010, 22:41   #2422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Budget is ~ 20K.
I perfer a fresh stock since it is for elderly who are not too computer literate and might find it difficult to isolate any failures.
In this budget you can buy a branded desktop with decent configuration. Try ACER, HP etc. Why dont you try a laptop? You are very well within the range. In your price range you can get a decent one.
Old 14th June 2010, 01:18   #2423
BHPian

Hi all,
I need to buy a laptop in near future. Was considering the Dell inspiron mini 10 and even bargained a good deal on the following config:Intel Atom 270N processor, 1 GB ram, 160 GB hdd, 10.1 inch screen, but most people told that the screen would be too small for any office use such as excell, or ppt. Plus the absence of CD-ROM meant i would have to take it to the service center every time something goes wrong with the OS, since it can't boot from the pen-drive. Was about to pay 15.250k for the system tomorrow. But the problem is my friends and family members are insisting that i get a bigger machine, a 14 inch, with a 2 GB ram at least. So I am considering the Toshiba L510 401B, since I don't intend to spend much on it. Any inputs on the model? Any better machine in the same price range?

Last edited by Johnny_ : 14th June 2010 at 01:19. Reason: spell error
Old 14th June 2010, 10:21   #2424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_ View Post
Hi all,
I need to buy a laptop in near future. Was considering the Dell inspiron mini 10 and even bargained a good deal on the following config:Intel Atom 270N processor, 1 GB ram, 160 GB hdd, 10.1 inch screen, but most people told that the screen would be too small for any office use such as excell, or ppt. Plus the absence of CD-ROM meant i would have to take it to the service center every time something goes wrong with the OS, since it can't boot from the pen-drive. Was about to pay 15.250k for the system tomorrow. But the problem is my friends and family members are insisting that i get a bigger machine, a 14 inch, with a 2 GB ram at least. So I am considering the Toshiba L510 401B, since I don't intend to spend much on it. Any inputs on the model? Any better machine in the same price range?
If you work for long hours in mini, your eyes will be affected and will cause headache, neck pain, etc... I suggest you to go with 14" screen size. You can buy a decent configuration from Acer, Compaq or Dell. Toshiba is also a good brand to consider. I always check laptop prices from the following websites,

http://www.deltapage.com/laptop.pdf
http://www.computerwarehousepricelis...-Pricelist.xls

Good config would be i3/2GB RAM/320 GB HDD with DVD+RW
Old 14th June 2010, 12:00   #2425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
If you work for long hours in mini, your eyes will be affected and will cause headache, neck pain, etc... I suggest you to go with 14" screen size. You can buy a decent configuration from Acer, Compaq or Dell. Toshiba is also a good brand to consider. I always check laptop prices from the following websites,

http://www.deltapage.com/laptop.pdf
http://www.computerwarehousepricelis...-Pricelist.xls

Good config would be i3/2GB RAM/320 GB HDD with DVD+RW
The links you have provided are very useful.
And you are quite true about the mini, it does cause some eye strain if used for prolonged period of time. So I am avoiding it, even if its a Dell.
I am planning to go for Toshiba L510 401B, it retails at 24.5k in Mumbai with bill and warranty.

Last edited by Johnny_ : 14th June 2010 at 12:01. Reason: text add
Old 14th June 2010, 14:51   #2426
BHPian

Dual core

Guys heard that the Intel Dual core processor that comes with the Toshiba ain't that great. The core 2 duo is better, but that doesn't with this Toshiba config. So I am planning to drop the idea of Toshiba.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:30   #2427
BHPian

I mostly will be getting a notebook from US now. Thank heavens!

Initially my mind was set on picking the Dell Studio 15 with i7-720QM, 6GB RAM, etc, but now I have better options.

1. Lenovo Y560 - $1,299
i7-720QM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730 1GB
8 GB 1333MHz RAM
500GB HDD, 7200rpm
6cell battery

2. Lenovo W510 - $1,649
i7-720QM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 880M Graphics 1GB
4 GB 1067MHz RAM
500GB HDD, 7200rpm
9cell battery

The Y560 is tempting mainly for the 8Gigs of ram and the remaining standard specs for that killer price tag.

In the W510, I would love to up the ram, and other additional uber cool features but it is just adding onto the price tag. I cannot stretch my budget more than this.

I want the best config for my image editing work to suffice for a good period of time, say 3-4years.

What do you guys say about the asus series? The G whatever.

Last edited by furioussphinx : 14th June 2010 at 15:32.
Old 14th June 2010, 18:31   #2428
BHPian

With the coupon, the Y560 is going for ~$1100

The Asus model is a G51JX and it is going for around $1305/1200

Now the only point of thought is, the lenovo has an ATI 5730 card while the latter has a nvidia GTS 360M. Am eyeing the nvidia for the CUDA. Am in a fix now. Asus is sweet, but I doubt the support in India and how the *** is. It even comes with a 2yr global warranty while the lenovo has just 1year.

which makes sense to go for?

Last edited by furioussphinx : 14th June 2010 at 18:36.
Old 14th June 2010, 18:56   #2429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
With the coupon, the Y560 is going for ~$1100

The Asus model is a G51JX and it is going for around $1305/1200

Now the only point of thought is, the lenovo has an ATI 5730 card while the latter has a nvidia GTS 360M. Am eyeing the nvidia for the CUDA. Am in a fix now. Asus is sweet, but I doubt the support in India and how the *** is. It even comes with a 2yr global warranty while the lenovo has just 1year.

which makes sense to go for?
I am not too sure about ASUS model, but yes, i have an opinion about Lenovo.

I have used 2 Lenovo's that were built in 2009 and shipped from China. Yes, that's where they are built and shipped in USA. The hinge of both the laptop went kaput in less than 6 months. Also they are prone to heating. Also didn't like the touchpad. These are Y550's that i used. Their customer service isn't too great too.

I feel, you will do better to get top of the line DELL. You can take a look at their high end versions - the ALIENWARE. For $1100 or so you can also configure a good Sony laptop similar to specs you have mentioned. Reason being, Dell has one of the best customer service in USA and i expect the same in India too.

I have had great experience(performance & a.s.s) with Dell and Sony. So may be i prefer them to Lenovo and ASUS and HP.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by chevelle : 14th June 2010 at 18:57.
Old 14th June 2010, 19:00   #2430
Senior - BHPian

In your budget and requirement for a slightly bigger screen (14"), I will advise you to go for Toshiba L510 P401A Satellite Mini Notebook. It is equipped with Intel Pentium 2.2 GHz Processor, 250 GB Hard disk drive, 4 GB RAM and inbuilt DVD Writer. It has integrated webcam, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth & 3 USB Ports.
This should cost you around 22,000/- (please check exact price with the dealer). Though, I think this would be without any bundled software.

Acer is the only other brand which can fulfill your requirements. You would have number of options in acer.

IMO if you are not too bent upon a new laptop and you dont have need for extremely new/latest technology/features, you can try buying a used laptop. You will get very good deal at this price range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks