Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:26   #91
BHPian

Re: Best outdoor torchlight / flashlight / torch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Thanks a lot guys !! After browsing this thread at random, I've ended up with a Rovyvon A5X for some reason !!
+1 to that, from random scrolling through the thread and ending up getting one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I'd be happy to buy from either.
Thank you for Lightmen recommendation.
Was about to order from them, only to realize at the last minute that their actual physical store is closer to my place in Hyderabad. Will visit the store directly to pick one.

https://g.page/lightmen?share
sriharsha_m87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:34   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

For camping and trekking, would suggest a headlamp. Nothing beats the convenience of having your hands free while walking at night or packing gear in the dark. The Petzl Tikka is a good headlight for the price. Have wasted money on 4-5 cheap headlamps from Decathlon while my friends who paid more for the tikka initially are still using theirs!

For handheld, I've been using a small Maglite for the past 15 years. Dropped, gotten wet, gone all over the country, still going strong.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 17:04   #93
Senior - BHPian

Can you show us your Decathlon headlamps that went kaput plz? Mine is working fine. Regarding torch, I have a decade old Maglite and they are built to last
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Have wasted money on 4-5 cheap headlamps from Decathlon
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:20   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Can you show us your Decathlon headlamps that went kaput plz?
Sure, it's this one: https://www.decathlon.in/p/8364416/h...8364416&type=p

I think I've gone through at least 3 of them so far over the past 3 years. Am on my 4th and 5th one.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:51   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure, it's this one: https://www.decathlon.in/p/8364416/h...8364416&type=p

I think I've gone through at least 3 of them so far over the past 3 years. Am on my 4th and 5th one.
What is your usage like? Since they are so cheap, I have dumped a couple in the glove box and they seem to be holding up for the occasional use for two years.
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:22   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
What is your usage like? Since they are so cheap, I have dumped a couple in the glove box and they seem to be holding up for the occasional use for two years.
At least for a couple of weekends a month, for a few hours on both evenings of those weekends, making our way back from treks in the evening/night.

The issues I saw were not with the power consumption, but two of them just stopped working, even after putting in fresh batteries. And even though they are supposed to be waterproof, saw rust inside the third one that I had to discard. I guess they should be ok for low frequency usage. But yeah, they are certainly cheap enough to be use-and-throw, that's why I still use them, but will probably upgrade once the two I have conk off. The beam too isn't powerful enough for my kind of use case. We usually have to navigate over some slightly tricky rocky terrain at night and that's where I've seen other better models that my friends use...shine.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:43   #97
BHPian

Quote:
At least for a couple of weekends a month, for a few hours on both evenings of those weekends, making our way back from treks in the evening/night.
Which trekking places are these? Are they near Bangalore? Any suggestions recommendations please??
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:51   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Which trekking places are these? Are they near Bangalore? Any suggestions recommendations please??
Mostly the well known ones, Nandi, the ones around Ramanagara- Handi Gundi Betta, Ranganathswamy betta, SRS Betta (that has a nice water body too to cool off). Usually very light treks and scrambles. Won't post more here to avoid going off-topic, but all these are well documented online. Ramanagara is amazing, lots of great hills and features. But sometimes the Forest Department objects and kicks us out, especially if we get close to the vulture sanctuary, so best to avoid going in large groups. But usually when they see that it's an older group of folks like most of us in our group are and that we're obviously not doing it as a part of any commercial venture and not carrying alcohol or playing loud music, or starting campfires, they're ok.

Edit: Forgot to add, on the Kanakapura side there is Raougudlu which also has some interesting rocky features and paths. Turahalli is lovely and used to be really convenient for short excursions, but the Forest Department has banned all activities there.

Last edited by am1m : 23rd February 2022 at 15:07.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 16:25   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What's the best place to get a 18650 battery? Most places seem to sell fake ones. I am looking for a Sony vtc6 or something of a similar quality?
I had asked this question sometime back & people had replied suggesting lightorati & lightmen. However, both these sites seem to sell only 18650s from Nitecore & Fenix. Are Nitecore & Fenix reliable brands?

I searched for 18650s from Sony/LG/Samsung etc & I found a few sites which sell them like robu.in. Robu seems to have all these brands, but I found some of their prices very low while some prices seem appropriate. Also in some cases I found batteries from the same brand costing lower for a higher ampere piece. So I am wondering if Robu sells genuine products? Anyone has any experience with Robu or any other site which sells genuine Sony/LG/Samsung 18650s?

Also which is a good brand of charger to buy?
Old 7th May 2022, 23:58   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had asked this question sometime back & people had replied suggesting lightorati & lightmen. However, both these sites seem to sell only 18650s from Nitecore & Fenix. Are Nitecore & Fenix reliable brands?
I have had no trouble at all with their batteries.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 21:25   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriharsha_m87 View Post
+1 to that, from random scrolling through the thread and ending up getting one

Thank you for Lightmen recommendation.
Was about to order from them, only to realize at the last minute that their actual physical store is closer to my place in Hyderabad. Will visit the store directly to pick one.

https://g.page/lightmen?share
Another surprise from this thread was Lightorati being walkable distance from my flat and I didn't even knew.

Finally picked up a Nitecore Tiki GITD Blue.
Surprised at the light output given its super tiny dimensions.

Best outdoor torchlight / flashlight / torch-20220509_2048412.jpg

Size compared to a AA battery.
Best outdoor torchlight / flashlight / torch-20220509_2057322.jpg

Apart from the main lamp, the following two auxiliary lights are quite handy.

UV lamp
Best outdoor torchlight / flashlight / torch-20220509_2058342.jpg
Aux High CRI lamp
Best outdoor torchlight / flashlight / torch-20220509_2058032.jpg
sriharsha_m87 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 13:48   #102
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I have had no trouble at all with their batteries.
Thank you, could you let me know which model of an 18650 battery you purchased & how much did it cost?

Last edited by carboy : 10th May 2022 at 13:52.
Old 10th May 2022, 18:15   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...which model ... how much did it cost?
Actually, I got from Lightmen: this is the item.

Sadly, the sale-price Nitecore torch I got them for has not lasted. Lightorati have told me that they occasionally send a box of stuff back to China for repair, and they can include it, but it takes a long time. Better than nothing. The other two Nitecore lights I have are fine.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2022, 20:26   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Another surprise from this thread was Lightorati being walkable distance from my flat and I didn't even knew.
OT: Why not share some of your collection on this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-everyday.html (The Everyday Carry Thread - What do you carry with you everyday?)
Old 29th October 2022, 01:23   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I have a decade old Maglite and they are built to last
But the batteries are not. My 8-year-old Maglite Solitare died because of a leaky Duracell. I had left the battery inside since pre-pandemic and had to pay the price. In fact, I damaged the LED while trying to force the stuck battery out. There is a switch replacement kit available, but it costs $9 while a new Solitare sells for $18. So I am not even sure if it is worth trying to repair.

Well that means I am in the market for a new flashlight

Quote:

Finally picked up a Nitecore Tiki GITD Blue.
Almost all of the Nitecore stuff is out of stock and their site seems to be an exclusive Fenix shop. I have a feeling they are going to stop dealing with Nitecore altogether. If you don't mind, can you please check if that is the case?

Are there any other reliable stores other than Lighorati to explore non-Fenix options?
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks