Team-BHP - Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/83859-android-thread-phones-apps-mods-1977.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4765453)
Thanks. I plan to shift my S8 to my better half and then go for another phone. I will look at the S9 also. Let me see what I get.

I would recommend against going for the S9 as it is not going to receive any future Android updates. You could look at the S10 lite. It has a great processor, good cameras and is decently priced too. The only con is the plastic build.

I don't know about the future plans of Samsung for S9. However the S9 just got a Android 10 update with One UI 2.0 . That's as updated as you can get now and for some foreseeable future.

No mention of the S20 in any message? The choice seems to be on the S10 or S20. Should I take it that the S20 is not up to the mark, or it just the higher price which is not worth it. Also on the S20, I was looking at the three models, Base, Plus or Ultra. The recommendation here.

Quote:

Thanks. I plan to shift my S8 to my better half and then go for another phone. I will look at the S9 also. Let me see what I get.

Galaxy S8 to S9 won't be a significant upgrade IMO. Galaxy S9 Is nothing but an S8 with better ergonomics. Dimensions and features are more or less same. Also while my S9 is getting regular updates, I expect the S9 series to be at the end of its life for Android upgrades. For this very reason I'd recommend skipping them.

If you have budget, nothing beats the Galaxy S20 Ultra. It's a beast and IMO justifies the premium. The Galaxy S20 series is priced over a wide range and you should be able to get one in your budget. Having said that, prices of Samsung flagships are highest during this time. Wait for a month or two for offers to start. :D

Also look at the offers in your My Galaxy app. I got some fantastic deal when I upgraded from my Galaxy S7 to S9 in 2018.

Galaxy S10 didn't excite me but the S20, much like its nomenclature, is an exponential upgrade IMHO. :)

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

I'd say avoid S9 family now. Samsung generally provides updates for up to three years and there is no point spending a good chunk without getting updates for at least 3 years. Wait for a few months, you'll get S20 at a good discount

My recommendation would be to go for the S10+. It has all the essential features you would need. It has great battery life, a great display, brilliant cameras and the ergonomics of the phone are really good. It even retains the 3.5mm jack. It is a great all-rounder even today.

Reviews of the S20 series haven't been all that great. There are many software bugs being reported. Unless a 120hz display is absolutely essential, I would go with the S10+ as it is a proven product.

One disclaimer though. The newer gen Samsung phones with the Exynos processors, which is the one we get in India, are known to be much less power efficient than the Snapdragon equivalents and drains the battery considerably faster.

Hi guys, please suggest a cheap android phone which will be used only for in-car navigation. It'll be used with android auto and also occasionally on a mobile-holder mounted on the dashboard. Calling, Whatsapp, Camera, Sound Quality etc are not needed. This will be only a navigation device with google maps as a primary app. Please suggest a phone that is cheap, has good GPS reception capability and does not heat up with prolong use of google maps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr (Post 4766187)
Hi guys, please suggest a cheap android phone which will be used only for in-car navigation.

You need a phone with a geo magnetic sensor. Else the pointer will go haywire at slow speeds. Samsung's M30 /31 has it.wife uses M30 and the specs of the M31 shows it has a geo.agnetic sensor.

On road, we use the GPS on my phone (A8+) or when kids are on board, the new S10 lite). So can't really answer (or rather, certify) that these M phones will meet your other requirements like heating, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 4766230)
You need a phone with a geo magnetic sensor. Else the pointer will go haywire at slow speeds. Samsung's M30 /31 has it.wife uses M30 and the specs of the M31 shows it has a geo.agnetic sensor.

On road, we use the GPS on my phone (A8+) or when kids are on board, the new S10 lite). So can't really answer (or rather, certify) that these M phones will meet your other requirements like heating, etc.

Don't all budget phones have this nowadays? The one time I remember slow speed making navigation go haywire is maybe from my days with the xperia x10. Looked it up, and if the phone has a compass function, it has a geomagnetic sensor apparently.

Well some specify a "e-compass". I tried google to find the difference between e compass and geomagnetic compass - and found myself looking at dense fog. My first Android was a Galaxy Pop / fit, and from that, I burnt my fingers with a Sony Zr, (wifi issues) and downgraded to a Moto. The moto did not have a proper magnetic sensor. That's when I got "sensitized" to this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr (Post 4766187)
Hi guys, please suggest a cheap android phone which will be used only for in-car navigation. It'll be used with android auto and also occasionally on a mobile-holder mounted on the dashboard. Calling, Whatsapp, Camera, Sound Quality etc are not needed. This will be only a navigation device with google maps as a primary app. Please suggest a phone that is cheap, has good GPS reception capability and does not heat up with prolong use of google maps.

I would suggest M30 if you are looking for a Samsung phone with a decent network reception. If you mention the price range it is easier for the selection.

Need 2 similar mobiles. One for my mom and one for mother in law. Both will only use it for calling, occasional whatsapp etc. Budget is around 7k each. Have selected Redmi 8A dual. Any better option in this range or this is the best one ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by harry10 (Post 4768726)
Need 2 similar mobiles. One for my mom and one for mother in law. Both will only use it for calling, occasional whatsapp etc. Budget is around 7k each. Have selected Redmi 8A dual. Any better option in this range or this is the best one ?

Would recommend the Realme C3 over the Redmi 8A dual as it comes with a far superior Helio G70 chip compared to the Redmi's Snapdragon 439. It will perform smoother for a longer period of time. My grandmom's Realme 1 still runs flawlessly today thanks to the chip inside. It would be recommended to go for the 4GB RAM variant as it comes with more storage and it'll also be more futureproof.

Another major downside of Redmi phones is the advertisements built into MIUI. They are everywhere on the phone and over time they have become more and more vulgar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee (Post 4768869)
Another major downside of Redmi phones is the advertisements built into MIUI. They are everywhere on the phone and over time they have become more and more vulgar.

Yes. I hate it like a hell of advertisements they are pushing. I have a spare Redmi note 4.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis (Post 4765786)
I'd say avoid S9 family now. Samsung generally provides updates for up to three years and there is no point spending a good chunk without getting updates for at least 3 years. Wait for a few months, you'll get S20 at a good discount

I do not see the S20 on sale yet. Any dates? I was looking for it since the GST may go up.

As for the S9 agreed. It is standard practice to offer 'free' updates for two - three years. The vendors do not make money on software updates. Then we have to go to other places to get them, maybe another year or two.