Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 16:51   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey Akshay, I got the Charger (original Samsung charger) for 389Rs (that's the MRP printed and I didn't bargain). with Bill & Warranty. The same is priced for 550Rs in any other big brand shops( at Sangeetha, Indira Nagar), I don't know why. Rating is input 11-30V DC, Output 5.0V DC, 0.7A. BTW, Galaxy S charging point is a micro-USB point, probably same for Spica too?
Thanks for the info bro, and yes my spica has a micro usb port too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post
Galaxy Spica is for 24.5K in Delhi.
Galaxy S is for 27.5k and Galaxy Spica is for 13k.
Spica is no longer available though.
Old 5th August 2010, 19:47   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Got myself an N1 and boy what a phone
Zaks, Congrats! Did you buy it in Bangalore?
Old 5th August 2010, 23:39   #123
BHPian

I bought an Galaxy S about a month or so ago. I have a HTC TYTN II and Nokia Navigator as well so I use 3 type of mobile OS everyday.
Galaxy S has some obvious positives which are discussed already. There are some issues with the phone. A minor irritant for me is that the game "asphalt" doesnt save and each time you play it and put your phone in sleep, it deletes the saved data and you start at Level 1. It might seem petty but say that to someone who has a PSP or an xbox and they will be ready to trade an arm for getting their stored game data back. I hope someone knows how to fix this.

Google maps force closes very often, this is something that never happened on the TYTN II in last 2+ years. I find it amusing that the OS and app are both google and yet, they dont seem to work together.

GPS is at best average. The less said, the better.

"Installation was unsuccessful" whenever I try to get some app from the Market. It works rarely, for instance - I can never get an update to my google maps though it says there is an update available. When I click on download, i get the "unsuccessful" message.

Samsung Kies doesnt recognize/not compatible with Galaxy S. huh what????

Cannot copy-paste songs or BT transfer them from another phone/computer. just doesnt play them. Same with images transferred from computer. i cant view them. it does that with some pictures clicked on the phone.. I cant view them.

when i switch off and switch on the phone, the wall paper gets changed. grrrr

But I still love the phone. The giant screen, vivid colors, its live wallpapers (which are a hit with my 2 yr old nephew) internet browsing is surreal, swype is awesome n I cant get over it, nightsky is another great app by google, battery backup for a 4 inch screen is very good. plus about 100 other things that I cant really type. lol. nice, very nice.

I just hope someone can help me with the problems I am having with the phone.
Old 6th August 2010, 02:44   #124
Senior - BHPian

@ak916, very strange problems and I've tried almost everything that you've mentioned(Google maps, updates/installation of apps, wallpaper, samsung Kies(working great with me till now), images from computer. songs from computer etc etc ) and never had any trouble with any. Probably your batch of Galaxy S has some serious problem. Probably you should get it checked with the Samsung service center. Probably some updates required for the OS. What is the firmware and the kernal version that your phone is having?
And GPS seems to be working fine for me although I've not done any stress testing of GPS . Will check tomorrow properly.

Last edited by kaushik_s : 6th August 2010 at 02:45.
Old 6th August 2010, 09:48   #125
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
Zaks, Congrats! Did you buy it in Bangalore?
Thanks, it's still not available in stores here. I got it through my friend in US.

Last edited by zaks : 6th August 2010 at 09:50.
Old 8th August 2010, 19:25   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
@ak916, What is the firmware and the kernal version that your phone is having?
Hi Kaushik,

The firmware is 2.1 and Kernel Version is 2.6.29. I dont think the official firmware update is here yet. I suspect something has gone wrong with the HDD because that is what is common in all my problems. I will take it to service this month. I just dont want to give the phone to anyone, it's so good
Old 8th August 2010, 23:36   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
GPS is at best average. The less said, the better....
If you google around you'll see a LOT of people complaining that the GPS jumps around way too much, and takes a while to get lock etc etc.

Apparently its a firmware issue - as its present on certain phones and not others.

Whether there is an easy to do firmware upgrade available - im not sure. Didnt get into that level of detail!

cya
R
Old 9th August 2010, 09:30   #128
BHPian

The Moto Droid X is kicking *** in the US right now, but unfortunetly for the moment its only CDMA and only on Verizon.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:13   #129
BHPian

Just got a Galaxy S this weekend... Man.. it simply blows you off. Killer screen, apps and smoothness.... loving it.

At first I thought the software Kies is an issue... not able to connect properly. But then, I found a real simple way of connecting to Kies and yes, it takes not more than 5 seconds to recognise now.

Also, a new firmware 2.1-update1 Build ECLAIR.DDJG4 was released on Sunday and I installed it... Upgrade was smooth, no issues. One thing - upgrading firmware deletes all contacts/settings from phone. I had to sync again and get back things.

It has now a "Task Manager" and "Active applications" bar on home screen, way cool to end applications now.

Anmol

Last edited by anmolbedi : 9th August 2010 at 10:14. Reason: New line
Old 9th August 2010, 10:21   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
The Moto Droid X is kicking *** in the US right now, but unfortunetly for the moment its only CDMA and only on Verizon.
Yeah, three of the best Android phones right now are available only in CDMA versoins.
HTC Incredible, Motorola Droid 2 and Motorola Droid X. Why can't they make GSM versions as well
Old 9th August 2010, 10:29   #131
BHPian

A very detailed Galaxy vs Iphone4 comparison...

Samsung I9000 Galaxy S vs. Apple iPhone 4: Collision course - GSMArena.com

Must read
Old 9th August 2010, 12:05   #132
BHPian

One of the problems I have with Samsung phones (especially galaxy s and wave) is that KIES won't work on a mac :(. There's a third party tool available called fonesync, but I don't think it syncs apps (just contacts and calendar). Sigh. Any other options guys?
Old 9th August 2010, 12:30   #133
Senior - BHPian

KIES for Samsung Android Phones does not work on Windows as well. :(
I was unable to find something else to replace it.

Please check this link - http://www.markspace.com/products/mi...nc-family.html
See if that is of any help to you. (Dashing off for lunch)

-Biju

Last edited by pjbiju : 9th August 2010 at 12:40.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:48   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbedi View Post
... But then, I found a real simple way of connecting to Kies and yes, it takes not more than 5 seconds to recognise now....
Could you tell us what this method is please?

cya
R
Old 9th August 2010, 12:56   #135
BHPian

For all users facing issue with Kies...

Look in the tray icon for Kies... tick on "Autostart tray icon" and disable "Autostart Kies". Now when you connect your USB cable to galaxy, wait for galaxy to show "Connected". First it would show "Initialising" then "connected".

After it shows connected, double click on Kies icon and it would connect galaxy in 5 seconds and recognise it.

One more thing, the new firmware on galaxy Build ECLAIR.DDJG4 makes it even more quicker.

Any issues, PM me. I would love to hep out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks