Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 21:25   #166
BHPian

Kaushik,

There is 6 month, 2gb/month plan for 300rs from airtel. This comes with galaxy s. Did u try enabling this? I am not really sure about data plans. So cant really decide if this is even an offer.
Old 16th August 2010, 21:42   #167
BHPian

Hi
There is a point which scores against desire. The memory for loading applications is far less compared to other phones in the market. That did not deter me initially. But when i called the customer care service center ( number provided by the HTC website )i was really disappointed with the response. In chennai samsung service center people were fast in responding and interacted with me clearing all my doudts even before i brought the mobile. I guess that swinged the vote for me towards samsung. I knew what to expect.
Cheers.
Old 16th August 2010, 22:48   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
desire is it? Any reason for this model over GS?
Main reason is build quality. I am not too confident about holding a Galaxy S in my hands. Not that it feels cheap or plasticky, but just too scared that I might drop it, if you know what I mean. I know about it being sturdy and good, but then somehow I am not comfortable, so yeah.

There are other smaller problems like Chaos not supported on Mac OS etc, but they are not exactly deal breakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
@Sankar, tried unmounting both internal and external SD cards. But chaos is still chaos only.
@Hellwrath, dude go for it , You'll surely love the Galaxy S as much as Desire. And as of now my feeling is that if I had waited for Desire then I would've been repenting for sure.
@gkrishn, you are right, nexus one is a HTC phone, very similar to Desire.
Ha ha, I don't know how Chaos was even released in the market and why they are not trying to do anything about it. I have also read that you need to install the latest version of chaos every time it comes out before you can update the firmware, make sure you have the latest.

As far as SGS goes, I know I might repent and even be jealous of that SAMOLED screen, but then usability and durability matter a lot to me and I think I'll be happy with desire. That is, if I get it tomorrow (from the dealer), else SGS it is.

The desire's lowest price quote so far has been 26,750. Let me see what's the deal I get tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi
There is a point which scores against desire. The memory for loading applications is far less compared to other phones in the market. That did not deter me initially. But when i called the customer care service center ( number provided by the HTC website )i was really disappointed with the response. In chennai samsung service center people were fast in responding and interacted with me clearing all my doudts even before i brought the mobile. I guess that swinged the vote for me towards samsung. I knew what to expect.
Cheers.
Agreed, but with 2.2 out for desire, all apps can be installed on sd card and don't need to be on the phone memory. There's also an app called apps2sd, which let's you install in the sd card. And I guess, Android is a modder's delight, and I am pretty sure I'll end up modding it a LOT! Just waiting to get it in my hands.
Old 17th August 2010, 08:48   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Main reason is build quality. I am not too confident about holding a Galaxy S in my hands. Not that it feels cheap or plasticky, but just too scared that I might drop it, if you know what I mean. I know about it being sturdy and good, but then somehow I am not comfortable, so yeah.
Yes it is quite plasticity. I didnt feel when i held it in hand. But when i removed the rear cover, damn, it is a thin thin plastic. You can practically crush it in ur palms. I guess the phone is more like a packed card board box. Sum of all parts is pretty strong. But separate them individually and each of them(at least the rear cover from what i seen so far) are really weak.

It looks like Samsung has done this deliberately to keep it ultra thin and light weight. Considering that it also comes with a removable battery and micro sd card.

But that super omelet screen is super good...
Old 17th August 2010, 11:04   #170
Senior - BHPian

Are Android OS phones available only for touch screen phones? I don't like touch screen phones, so what are the best Android devices for me assuming that Android is available for non touch screen phones.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:04   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kaushik,

There is 6 month, 2gb/month plan for 300rs from airtel. This comes with galaxy s. Did u try enabling this? I am not really sure about data plans. So cant really decide if this is even an offer.
I use Airtel's 98 rupees prepaid topup. 2GB data, valid for 1 month. Works on all phones.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:11   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kaushik,

I'm currently using a plan call Airtel NOP (Net on Phone), 99Rs per month, unlimited. Works fine for me when I go out of Bangalore. I normally use it to download google maps while touring. Worked pretty well till now at Mysore, Udupi, Ooty, Chikmagalur etc . But inside Bangalore it just doesn't work properly. Probably I'm using the wrong plan but I don't feel anything gonna change till 3G service is here.
Old 18th August 2010, 13:32   #173
BHPian

Hellwarth,
Did you get the desire? flipkart is selling it.
HTC Desire: Price, Features & Reviews (Black): Htc Desire Review | Flipkart
Old 18th August 2010, 14:19   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Hellwarth,
Did you get the desire? flipkart is selling it.
HTC Desire: Price, Features & Reviews (Black): Htc Desire Review | Flipkart
Yep, saw that link on saturday. Didn't order it through them as the dealer I was talking to promised me that he will give it on monday. But there's some major mess up in the shipment and distributor in bangalore hasn't received any shipment, so no dealer in bangalore (flipkart too, I think) has it as yet and is supposed to receive it today. But that's the story I have been hearing for three days now, so thanks to HTC, I have almost made up my mind to go with Galaxy S, will get it tonight or tomorrow .
Old 18th August 2010, 14:26   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Are Android OS phones available only for touch screen phones? I don't like touch screen phones, so what are the best Android devices for me assuming that Android is available for non touch screen phones.
Try Motorola Milestone, but Milestone-2 is on its way... might be launched some time in couple of months.
This phone has a huge touch screen PLUS sliding fuyll qwerty key board.
Old 18th August 2010, 18:02   #176
Senior - BHPian

OK guys, a big big disappointment/problem. There is some problem with the phone and this is very very bad. I've getting complaints from everyone that my number is unreachable for most of the time. Initially I thought the problem with the network at my office but seems like the problem is almost everywhere. What I've noticed that the after being idle for sometime the phone just goes unreachable but it's not that it always happens. Not sure if it's a network error but I'm doubting the phone as it started very recently. I never have faced this problem with my previous phone.
Old 18th August 2010, 18:59   #177
BHPian

^^oops. I didn't face this issue, thus far.

But, that darn battery. It is connected permanently to the power. Might also because i am going over board with the wifi access.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:39   #178
BHPian

eeek.... Android doesn't support indic languages. no kannada no tamil no hindi... this is a first real surprise to me.

My friend came in, took the phone and punched in thatstamil. And all blocks loaded. he said, no unicode support. Was really humbled. :(

browser shows unicode, but doesn't load tamil websites. umm.... will opera mini help here?

Last edited by gkrishn : 18th August 2010 at 19:41.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:46   #179
Senior - BHPian

I think Android still doesn't support unicode fully. I'm not sure exactly when this will be added.
About the battery, after few recharges the battery performance will improve. My phone's battery performance is much better now.
About the unreachable issue, now the phone is reachable, I dont know how it started working. All I did was to remove the external SD card which I've added from my old phone to copy the address book. But can't find any logic how that can be an issue. But too early to say anything. I just hope that the phone will work.
Old 18th August 2010, 19:57   #180
Team-BHP Support

Possible GPS fix for the Galaxy S :

YouTube - Android Tips & tricks: Samsung Galaxy S I9000 Vibrant and Captivate GPS Fix #2

cya
R

EDIT : Three more links :

http://phandroid.com/2010/07/21/easy...nt-gps-issues/

Read the comment from L Song348 - http://www.talkandroid.com/7280-gps-...laxy-s-phones/

More detailed description + explanations : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=732030

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2010 at 21:08.

Most Viewed