Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2009, 19:51   #46
BHPian

Recently I bought Western Digital HD Media player from Singapore. After bargaining I got at a price of SGD 160$ (approximate INR 5K) after GST refund. I was looking for this for a long time and got it finally.

It is also available in india through ebay.in, however the price there is INR 7600 + shipping.
eBay India: Western Digital WDTV (WD TV)HD Media Player 1080p HDMI (item 110357660358 end time 07-Mar-2009 14:44:09 IST)
Old 26th March 2009, 12:49   #47

folks,
I'm not able to decide whether to go for the A110 or the WD TV. A110 , as you've mentioned above, has a lot of convenient features such as web support for directly playing from youtube, etc - will this be usable given that I'll be going for a Hd ready PV8?. ( I've read reviews that text display is not all thaat great on this panny)

Inputs from folks who've been using this will be of help.
Old 7th April 2009, 14:35   #48
BHPian

WDTV on the Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I thought, I will add 5K more and go for PopcornHour A-110 only. Where do we get that in US!! I did not see PCH either on BestBuy or Amazon! any other stores! (Sad! circuitcity is closed!!)
I haven't gone through details but there are ways to put WDTV on the NW:

wdtv_faq [WDTV WIKI]

Firmware - Western Digital - WD TV HD Media Player - AVS Forum
Old 7th April 2009, 15:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought, I will add 5K more and go for PopcornHour A-110 only. Where do we get that in US!! I did not see PCH either on BestBuy or Amazon! any other stores! (Sad! circuitcity is closed!!)
You can get the WD officially in India for around Rs 7k
Old 8th April 2009, 09:50   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
You can get the WD officially in India for around Rs 7k
Pune the best price I got was 8k. On ebay india it is at around 7500 with shipping. Still way cheaper than popcourn hour in india. If you getting it from US then it will be at 5k which is great deal!

If anybody know how to get below 7.5k from mumbai/ pune , please tell the source/ contact details.
Old 8th April 2009, 11:13   #51
BHPian

Hi Guys
Is Popcorn Hour - compatible with the NTSC / Pal Tv's in India, also can i connect to my TV - which is not a LCD
:(

Another thing Guys - There is 1) Popcorn Hour A-110 2) WN 100 3) A 110 with WN 100 & 4) S 210

Which amongst the above is ideal for Indian conditions??
Old 9th April 2009, 14:38   #52
BHPian

Found one more Network Media Player @ ebay for 11k:

EG-M34A NMT HDD Media Player HD 1080p h.264 MKV MP4 MP3

Forum on the media TV HTPC
Old 9th April 2009, 17:05   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Watching HDD movies

I do not know if I have posted on this thread before.

I use a LaCie SIlverscreen 80gb. I have had this for 3 or 4 years and it is a good machine. I connect it using S-Video to my AV reciever and take an optical audio out to the amplifier.

I have managed to program it into my macro remote and now even Jenny can use it. Good fun.

Name:  laciesilveri1.gif
Views: 1166
Size:  39.6 KB
However, I have recently umm.. got a Pioneer DV-410K DVD player. And this has a USB port in the front.
To this I am able to connect any drive, thumb drive, SD card reader and even my external 500GB drive and navigate and view movies quite easily.
Networked Media Players - Play External HDD Content on TV-pioneer20dv410vk20dvd20player.jpg
This is extremely useful if one wants to watch "special interest"movies as one can simply unplug the hard drive and hide it from his loving family.

The End.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 9th April 2009 at 17:07.
Old 16th April 2009, 18:33   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadu View Post
....I'm not able to decide whether to go for the A110 or the WD TV. .....
Yadu, just go blindly for the A110, the difference in amount, will give u a long term upgrade free ownership.

A110:
- supports HDMI 1.3a - giving you HD-DTS Audio for future.
- Remote is FAR better with lot more functions - when u play a movie, pressing 1,2,3,,,, takes u directly to 10%,20%,30%.... of the movie.
- Wireless support is great, you never know when you would like to stream data
- Internal HDD capability
- The interface also has more features.

These above mentioned things are what WDTV lacks. I am currently using Linksys Media Extender DMA-2100, but am going to buy the A110 this month end. Was planning for WDTV, and after a good research, found that A110 is more bang for the buck.

check out this forum for great support on anything Audio/Visual.
The following link will take you to the Digital Media Servers & Content Streamers section.
Digital Media Servers & Content Streamers - AVS Forum

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th July 2009 at 19:15. Reason: Added a quote for post reference as threads are being merged.
Old 1st June 2009, 11:36   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
The WD TV can be made available by a person who goes by the handle katmandude on http://www.techenclave.com/forum

Apparently, the WD TV is a very capable and recommended device.
KMD doesnt have it in stock anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
My LCD has a USB port which supposedly plays divx. I once inserted a flash drive, but it went undetected !

If your TV has this feature and it works, its probably the easiest way IMO.
Most of the DVD players/LCDs that advertise being 'USB friendly' simply mean that they can play jpegs and mp3s off a USB flash drive. Usually .avi/.divx is not recognized and the same is mentioned in fine print. I have been conned once like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyKING View Post
Is WD available in Grey?

Cheers
MK
Quote:
Has anyone been able to figure out what stores in India sell WD TV media player!!
How are you guys comparing it with NMTs like PCH or eGreat!! I see only difference is network connectivity and eGreat like device can support eSATA and HDMI 1.3a
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Pune the best price I got was 8k. On ebay india it is at around 7500 with shipping. Still way cheaper than popcourn hour in india. If you getting it from US then it will be at 5k which is great deal!

If anybody know how to get below 7.5k from mumbai/ pune , please tell the source/ contact details.
I dont know whether you can call it 'grey' but there are 2 sellers on Erodov and TechEnclave that stock WD HD Media Player. The current price, AFAIK, is Rs 7,200+shipping. But due to the heavy demand, it seems to be out of stock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
However, I have recently umm.. got a Pioneer DV-410K DVD player. And this has a USB port in the front.
To this I am able to connect any drive, thumb drive, SD card reader and even my external 500GB drive and navigate and view movies quite easily.
Sam - is your external 500gb HDD formatted in NTFS or FAT32? I thought these new gen DVD players were unable to handle external HDDs higher than 16/32gb capacities?

Also, at what price and from where did you buy this DVD player? I am assuming it has HDMI port also?
Old 1st June 2009, 11:43   #56
BHPian

Quote:
KMD doesnt have it in stock anymore.
Get it from here. Will come to under 7500/- with shipping and warranty.
Old 1st June 2009, 15:53   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Get it from here. Will come to under 7500/- with shipping and warranty.
Thats Amarbir right? Is he a WD authorized distributor too? His post mentions Rs 7,200+shipping though.

And btw, just spoke to official WD India distributor in Mumbai (Mediamann Infotech) WD Distributors

They too are quoting Rs 7,500. The guy wasnt sure of the warranty timeframe, as he mentioned its 'either 3 or 5 years'. And I used to think it will be only 1 year! But as it goes for WD HDDs, the media player warranty is also home-pickup-drop types.
Old 1st June 2009, 16:07   #58
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you try Cowon PMP? I have one with 80 GB and it supports many file format. Quality is also good but for sound you need really good amplifier.

Cowon Q5 PMP gets priced and dated

I have this one

http://www.pmptoday.com/2008/05/18/cowon-a3-now-80gb/
Old 2nd June 2009, 00:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is extremely useful if one wants to watch "special interest"movies as one can simply unplug the hard drive and hide it from his loving family.
Sam bhai! special interest movie!!
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:19   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Thats Amarbir right? Is he a WD authorized distributor too? His post mentions Rs 7,200+shipping though.

And btw, just spoke to official WD India distributor in Mumbai (Mediamann Infotech) WD Distributors

They too are quoting Rs 7,500. The guy wasnt sure of the warranty timeframe, as he mentioned its 'either 3 or 5 years'. And I used to think it will be only 1 year! But as it goes for WD HDDs, the media player warranty is also home-pickup-drop types.
Yes, its from Amarbir.

The WDTV carries a standard warranty of 1 year. Nothing more.

If you want to use it to stream media from a network, you can always hack it. An additional cost of about Rs. 300/- will be incurred towards the USB-RJ45 convertor. I am using this setup for my WDTV. Its connected to my Windows Home Server box and I have access to about 2TB of hi-def movies and songs.

7500/- is the price almost everywhere in India.

Last edited by SumitB : 2nd June 2009 at 09:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks