Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 12:09   #181
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ajay and Ketan. Looks like I'll hunt for the WDTV version 2 now.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:17   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

I brought a Samsung DVD player recently with USB functionality. I later found out that it only reads from flash drives and not portable HDDs. Is there any workaround for this?

I would really need it to read my external HDD since all my favorite classic comedies (Yes Minister, Carry On collection etc.) are on that.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:40   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I finally bought Aimersoft DVD Ripper. ....
Not really happy about this software. I should have spent lot more time evaluating.
If you are ready to experiment, pl. try Super to convert VOB files (if I am not mistaken) into MKV format. Gives good flexibility on the parameters (bitrate, framespeed,aspect size, audio etc). I have not tried it since I dont have HD TV. If needed, you can rip the disc as well using the free ripper mentioned below & use that for super conversion.

SUPER &copy - Convertor
DVD Decrypter download DVDDecrypter - Ripper
Old 15th September 2009, 12:54   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I brought a Samsung DVD player recently with USB functionality. I later found out that it only reads from flash drives and not portable HDDs. Is there any workaround for this?

I would really need it to read my external HDD since all my favorite classic comedies (Yes Minister, Carry On collection etc.) are on that.
Get your HDD formatted in NTFS and then try, this might work.
Old 15th September 2009, 12:58   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Friends, Romans, BHPians---can anybody please respond to the query above?

Thx
WD Media player is working with whatever I am throwing at him. I guess the new version is about to be announced. So the prices will be cheap.
Now make your choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

Apart from formatting , you also may need the power source for your HDD. I am facing the same problem with philips , I ended up putting them on 16 GB USB.
Now WDTV Zindabad

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th September 2009 at 19:00. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 15th September 2009, 13:03   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaltanksale View Post
I'm 100% sure that the Samsung DVD player won;t even recognize an NTFS formatted drive.

TheMag, the issue can be, either your drive is NTFS formatted which can't be read by your DVD player. OR,
(if your drive is FAT32) your DVD player is not able to supply the adequate power to your HDD. Normally the workaround is to get a external power supply for your drive and after that it'll be read by your player. So better bet to get a powered drive(I've tested with WD 500GB home edition on my Pioneer and it works) and copy the movies there and then play using your DVD player.
But the best option is to get a WD TV or something like that ;-)

@Ketan, hey buddy, let me know if you know someone who is willing to part away with his WD TV as he has moved to Xtreamer. I'm interested in buying one if I get a good deal.
Old 15th September 2009, 22:51   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaltanksale View Post

It shoul be the other way around. these DVDPlayers may not read NTFS. I had the same issue with my Philips DVP-5996.
Make sure its FAT32, if not give it a try hopefully it will work.

Okay, I just see that Kaushik responded there. I agree with him. external power can also cause this.
@Kaushik, I remember reading thru a couple of threads on hifivision where one guy was using WDTV for about 7 months and he just got himself an Xtreamer. I shall let you know if I come across such an offer

Last edited by Ketan : 15th September 2009 at 22:53.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:26   #188
BANNED

I have Philips player with USB and it reads even from my 1TB WD HDD.These players dosent supports NTFS, FAT32 is the supported format.
Mag try this last option, first power on the player after that connect the HDD and then press the source as USB, it might work as some times it happen to my Philips player.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:31   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Gents,

Thanks for all those inputs. Now, my external HDD is the portable laptop HDD (FAT32) with the USB dabba over it. It does not come with an external power source. Have I reached a dead-end?

Last edited by theMAG : 16th September 2009 at 11:33.
Old 16th September 2009, 11:35   #190
BANNED

Yes its over now as older gen laptop HDD with USB use to die like this only, it may come up after few tries that time take the data and trash the HDD, try keeping in air tight polythin bag and keep it in fridger for an hour and connet it to your machine some time it works.
Old 16th September 2009, 15:20   #191
Senior - BHPian

@Ketan, thanks mate, let me know if you see someone selling there. I couldn't see any buy and sell section at that forum.

@Mag, there is a hack possible to provide power supply to an USB device. The outer pins of any USB chord will be power ports and if you can splice open it and connect a proper adapter's(required o/p voltage) terminals you can supply power to the HDD. But you need to be extra careful about choosing the adapter for the same power rating as your drive.
Another option may be the USB Y-cable and an USB power adapter and connect the USB power adapter to the power chord of the Y-cable. I never tried this and don't know if it can work. The power adapter will have output port which should take USB port, it's like the iPod power adapter.
Old 27th September 2009, 20:19   #192

Yesterday, I got Optical Cable from Croma to connect Xtreamer to my Onkyo HTIB.

Superb 5.1 Audio, better than what I got from co-axial cable, connected between my LG DVD and Onkyo HTIB.

I connected Xtreamer to Onkyo HTIB with Optical cable and connected LCD TV to xtreamer with HDMI cable.
Old 10th November 2009, 19:06   #193
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am finally going in for the kill this week---my pal is in the US and he's shortlisted the WD player per the link below:-
Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player - WDAVN00BN - Buy.com

What I want from experienced guys is how do I know if it is the new version or the old?

Thanks
Old 10th November 2009, 20:07   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaydelhi View Post
Superb 5.1 Audio, better than what I got from co-axial cable, connected between my LG DVD and Onkyo HTIB.
Were you seeing some interference issues with digital-coax connection: signs like loss of synchronization resulting in occasional mute/noise? If not, then the optical connector can not improve the quality. Its just a change in the physical medium, and, the data carried (and the bit resolution etc) remains the same.
Old 10th November 2009, 20:12   #195
Team-BHP Support

I don't think WD2 is yet released. However, thanks to you bumping this thread, I found out that they released a major firmware update yesterday.

BTW, is this WDTV2? WD TV Live HD Media Player ( WDBAAN0000NBK )

Last edited by Samurai : 10th November 2009 at 20:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks