Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:23   #331
BHPian

Re: Networked Media Players - Play External HDD Content on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
How do I connect my WD Live Hub to the Internet ? I tried plugging in the netgear dongle BUT WD does not recognise it !
netgear dongle... I assume that you are mentioning USB adapter. Actually Live Hub have support for few adapters. Check your adapter is listed as supported @ this list of compatible devices page List of compatible devices for the WD TV Live Hub Media Center

- Samdarshi
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:46   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
I use the Modeo HD player. Very happy with it.
InnoSupply
Is it available in India.
please share the cost of this HD Player.
Old 4th August 2011, 00:36   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Hmmm. I am not so clear on it. Actually I asked them what are the accessories they are giving. I was sure they will give only a USB cable. Ant that was the case also.

Attachment 587711

I am a simple guy. Here we see yellow, white and red sockets. Ok, they are there behind the red BHP lettering. You can go to flipkart link to see the box.
Flipkart.com: WD Elements Play Multimedia Drive 2 TB: External Hard Drive
On the tata sky box also the same are there. And on the back of my TV too. The heads of the tata sky cable are also of same color on either end. So I felt It will connect. Same color na
Check out This link for understadning differences between various types of cables

The flipcart site says it has composite cable support, if that's what your Tata Sky has then it will work.
Old 4th August 2011, 12:11   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Is it available in India.
please share the cost of this HD Player.
Doubt it. Bought it from KL.
Old 4th August 2011, 22:57   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Here is a small problem I am facing with my setup. If someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a 42'' Plasma LG with 3x HDMI slots & a USB slot
I also have a WD 1TB Live Hub which has a HDMI slot, USB x 2, and a ethernet slot.
I have a BSNL wi-fi connection router which is placed in another room.
I have a netgear 1000 rupees wifi dongle.

How do I connect my WD Live Hub to the Internet ? I tried plugging in the netgear dongle BUT WD does not recognise it !

What is the best way. I know if I get the telephone cable in my room I can get the router BUt that would mean cluttering my bedroom table with another piece of equipment which I do not want to.

Any suggestions are more than welcome
The BSNL wifi modem has multiple ethernet ports. So i guess if u connect the ethernet port on the WD box to the router, you will be able to get internet. You will need a long enough network cable to do it though.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:33   #336
BHPian

After giving a lot of thought & getting advice from a few friends, i finally bought this yesterday from Flipkart.

WD Elements Play Multimedia Drive 1 TB External Hard Disk
Networked Media Players - Play External HDD Content on TV-wd-mm-player.jpeg

Flipkart.com: WD Elements Play Multimedia Drive 1 TB: External Hard Drive

Honestly, i could not see myself buying either the 2TB one or the WD Live Hub. For Social Media, i use the Galaxy Tab. Ditto for Youtube, etc.

*EDIT*
I bought this for the living room. I will connect it with the 42" Bravia. For my bedroom, i use the PS3 as my media player.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 23rd August 2011 at 15:35. Reason: *EDIT*
Old 19th October 2011, 22:07   #337
BHPian

Dear Mates

Which is better in terms of value for money without losing on connectivity
WD Live Hub or Iomega screen play DirectorHD

please suggest price to buy.
Cheers
Old 4th November 2011, 00:30   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Check out This link for understadning differences between various types of cables

The flipcart site says it has composite cable support, if that's what your Tata Sky has then it will work.
I went ahead bought the WD 2TB Elements Play.
I loaded it with my movie collection. Unplugged the cables from the tata sky box and connected it to the sockets given behind the player. Switched on my good old CRT. And it worked like a charm.

So the moral of the story is that if you are still stuck with the old CRT, then also you can use the Multimedia Hard Disk. Its very very easy.

But be warned. The unit comes with a rather odd looking power plug. Need to buy an adapter for it.
Old 31st December 2011, 09:05   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I went ahead bought the WD 2TB Elements Play.
Dear mate
we are awaiting the review.

Are planning to put up one or ... just enjoying your media player.
Your experience may be very useful for others, please consider writing review with suggestions and lookouts.

cheers
Old 16th February 2012, 18:34   #340
BHPian

Bhpians,

Quick question here. Will a WDTV Live Player bought from the US work in India?

TIA

Lloyd.
Old 1st March 2012, 14:06   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Has anyone tried Google TV from Logitech - Logitech Revue™ With Google TV™?

Seems like they have slashed price from initial $299 to $99.

Any idea if it allows one to use the TV for surfing the web, would be great to watch videos online on a TV.
Although you may have got the answer already, thought I'll put in my comments.

I recently bought the Logitech Revue. Around a couple of months back it was available on Amazon at $79 with shipping to India. At that point I was hesitant to buy because Logitech had stopped making the device. A month later I decided to buy it as it served what I was looking for. But the price I had to pay was $130 (no shipping to India-Had to get a friend to bring it)

Coming to your question. Yes, you can access any website. It has an inbuilt chrome browser. The box runs on Android 3.1 and hence you have access to the android market also. There are a bunch of app's customized for Google TV (Key one is youtube). But u can side load and install any app.

I am putting together a detailed review on this. I personally think it is a great device.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 20:23   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
Bhpians,

Quick question here. Will a WDTV Live Player bought from the US work in India?

TIA

Lloyd.
Depend on what you expect, It should play You Tube & USB drives well but US specific content like Netflix & Hulu Plus etc will not work in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Although you may have got the answer already, thought I'll put in my comments.

Coming to your question. Yes, you can access any website. It has an inbuilt chrome browser. The box runs on Android 3.1 and hence you have access to the android market also. There are a bunch of app's customized for Google TV (Key one is Youtube). But u can side load and install any app.

I am putting together a detailed review on this. I personally think it is a great device.
Thanks Rajeev, I did some study & it does look like a good device, the only downer for me in US was that I cant watch my serials/movies on hulu.com the site identifies the browser as Chrome on Google TV & prompts to use hulu plus which is a paid service. Again this is more of a Google TV issue than Logitech's.

Would be waiting for your detailed review

other than that its pretty neat I have heard & I might get one of these devices with Google TV.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 05:29   #343
naughty001

I use a mede8er which is designed and made by Sanji electronics in South Africa - its actually very similar in functionality and design to the AC Ryan family of media players and IMHO the only thing lacking is the ability to play 3D movies but not very many players can do this

my audio/video setup is comparatively high end and when i watch movies i dont want to do so with file compression having taken place so my MKV files are all around the original blu-ray size and the reason why i selected the player is because it allows for passthrough of HD audio ie Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD(ma) - this makes movie playback as good as the original blu-ray (though sometimes there is an occasional bit of video judder when the movie is playing in 1080p at 30hz or 60hz and if it was originally recorded in 1080p/24 so every 40 or so frames it will skip or jump ahead a frame which shows up as minor judder (incorrectly called jitter elsewhere in this thread ..... because jitter is actually a concept to do with digital to analog conversion in audio)

then again most of the time when i compare my mkv files played on my media player to actual blu-ray discs played back on my expensive blu-ray player it is very hard to notice a difference which means that i enjoy the media player far more since i dont have to wait ages for it to boot up and load discs and then start playing after three or four minutes of waiting

If the mede8er range is not available in your area then i can also recommend AC Ryan players because of the additional functionality over and above something like a WDTV - and i also like the extreamer pro as well because it has an E-SATA connection which is faster than USB to connect external drives (as long as your external drive also has an E-SATA output port) - and for the 3D fans my research has led me to believe that the extreamer prodigy is the unit to purchase

are any of the players i mentioned available in India?

Last edited by naughty001 : 2nd March 2012 at 05:30.

Old 2nd March 2012, 05:35   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughty001 View Post
when i watch movies i dont want to do so with file compression having taken place so my MKV files are all around the original blu-ray size
True, MKV is a blessing, most of my recent collection is now on MKV with me Including a BD version of Avataar

My WDTV plays it quite well, but for the audio i guess the optical port will get utilized once I get an amp which supports that.
Old 2nd March 2012, 06:24   #345
naughty001

Quote:
My WDTV plays it quite well, but for the audio i guess the optical port will get utilized once I get an amp which supports that.
This is why i love my media player - you can only get proper HD audio over HDMI cable because of HDCP (high Definition Content Protection) so if AC3 and normal DTS are good enough for you then so be it and you can use the optical connections but you wont ever experience the full effect of HD audio which is considerably better than the best cinema you have been to

BUT the thing is that with proper HD audio ie as an example with that Avatar blu-ray, there are scenes when i can get 7.1 audio in DTS-HD(ma) where i can imagine i am within the location of the actual movie itself - for example when the dog type creatures are following the hero in the jungle and climbing up the trees - the ambience of the sound makes you believe that you are actually in a forest and that the grunts and yelps you hear are truly predators waiting to pounce upon you and running around in the jungle and climbing above your head into overhanging branches so that they can spring upon you

Then further along in the movie after the hero assisted by the female interest in the movie manages to repel the attack of these creatures and he follows her in the jungle only to realize that he did not need to light a fire you see some firefly type of insects buzzing around their heads on the screen and with my setup in HD audio you actually hear the wings of these insects buzzing and fluttering around your own head with realistic audio accuracy - it sounds so real that you could actually imagine grabbing at them and catching them in your fingers

And thats why i suggest something better than WDTV which allows for HD audio passthrough over HDMI to a good audio/video receiver and good speakers properly positioned will give you an "out of this world" experience and the extraordinary equipment required to do so does not cost so much more than the ordinary equipment used by everyone

It truly makes my movie viewing memorable and since i have around 3 x 2 TB drives that have all my blu-rays backed up it makes for a truly spectacular watching and remarkable listening experience too whichever one of my movies i want to watch

EDIT : I forgot to add one final observation that with the HD audio passthrough and MKV files transcoded with the HD audio included (I rip all mine personally to back up my own movies with my PC's DVD burner using makemkv so the HD audio is always included) definitely work as well on the mkv as the original blu-ray disc so to actually demo my system to other people i use the abovementioned Avatar as well as all the transformers movies and the newer Batman movies as well on th emedia player because no one wants to wait for three to four minutes after loading a disc just for the movie to start playing

Last edited by naughty001 : 2nd March 2012 at 06:32.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks