Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-157.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carthick1000 (Post 5065896)
Thanks, but it's smaller sensor and larger weight/dimensions feels like I am going back to DSLR-like times.

That is true. Its a bit of a trade off actually. That big lens is so flexible that it could well be the last camera you'll ever need. Unless the image quality really suffers, I don't see why the size of the sensor should matter much. That is a number of paper. Does not necessarily mean the images produced by the camera is bad. Sure, I would not head down the road with this if you are someone who does a lot of external image processing and does a lot of low light photography. I brought this up only cause you said you want a fixed lens solution. Its nice to have some flexibility when it comes to fixed lens cameras. Yes, it is a large camera and you do not need to worry about changing lenses. Check it out at a store before ruling it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carthick1000 (Post 5065197)
I am thinking of upgrading to a single camera with fixed lens setup. Still contemplating on a new X100V or a used Leica Q.

I too transitioned from Canon 5D > X100T > Leica Q. I had all three with me for quite some time. Fixed lens compact camera is the way to go.

Buying X100T was a very easy decision as I made up my mind to go with a compact fixed lens camera.

Buying Leica Q was a much harder decision. It is bigger than what I prefer. X100T is almost like a pocketable cellphone. I also had to consider Sony RX1 - cheaper and in the same league as Q. I would have probably purchased RX1 if I hadn't used X100T. I understood the importance of design and ergonomics after using X100T.

Q improves everything that is good about X100T and I am very happy with the purchase. Anyone with funds will eventually move from X100T to Q. X100T and Q are homages to each other ;-)

While the Leica brand, ergonomics and build quality, etc. are the main draw, it is also better in the following areas compared to X100T:
1. People look awesome in Leica pics.
2. Much better dynamic range - can also recover lot of detail
3. Can crop more

Downside: not pocketable, no usb-charging.

PS: I bought X100T in 2014 and Q in 2018 - not familiar with updated releases since then.

I am planning to buy an entry level mirrorless camera.
I am new to this level of photography. Focus on my Oneplus 6 phone camera is acting weird and I am using this opportunity to get a good camera.

My main intention is to capture our travels, scenery, general family photography and a bit of video including slow motion. Planning to use the base kit and upskill myself in photography before add more lenses.

Some basic requirements are:
Adjustable screen (preferably Fully Articulated Screen)
Built-in Wireless
Good ISO
Good Autofocus
Image stabilization
Slow motion video
Future proofing for another 5 years
Budget around 60k, not fixed

I do not plan to do vlogging, but I am interested in creating high quality videos or short films in future. So I lean towards a product having 'better video capabilities' and I am sure all of the cameras in this range are already very good at pictures.

From my search I found the below:
1. Canon M50 Mark II (57k INR)
Pros:
Good allrounder
Expected better support for accessories and lenses
Highly praised dual pixel auto focus

Cons:
4K video is cropped
No dual pixel auto focus in 4K
1080P video has max fps of 60

2. Fujifilm X-T200 (55k INR)
Pros:
More autofocus points
Larger and better 16:9 screen
Much better 4k video. No cropping. 6K to 4k downsampling.
Better 1080p Slow motion videos, up to 120fps

Cons:
4K video is restricted to 15mins (not a con for me per se, I do not expect myself to reach this limit).
Lens and accessories support is not expected to be great, at least in India.

What would be the best option for me?
I am leaning towards X-T200. Is there anything that I need to be cautious about it.

Is the any other option that I should check out in the 60K range. Planning to pull the trigger in the upcoming sale.

I decided to extend my budget a bit and bought Canon M6 Mark II for 66.5K INR, after discounts, from flipkart.

Camera got delivered within a day, but came without a bag or a memory card, so ordered them separately. Kit lens specs are 15-45mm 1:3.5-6.3. Have ordered a screen guard and a gorillapod as well.
Bag - Lowepro Adventura 140 (1100 INR)
Memory card - SanDisk Extreme SDXC 128gb (1800 INR)

Canon M6 Mark II is a level above M50 or XT200 as per reviews. But I will miss the fully articulated screen of Fuji XT-200. Camera equipment rental sites like tapprs.com had very few lenses from Fuji and that tilted the scales towards M6. Sony A6400 seem to be better than Canon M6, but it was costing more than 1Lakh.
One downside I see is that M6 has only 1 year warranty and is not eligible for the 2nd year extension from Canon.

Hoping for a long, colourful relation with my M6.

After much dilly dallying whether I need a mirrorless, got myself a Nikon Z50 with the Nikkor Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR lens. The camera and lens is a match made in heaven, I'm biased as I've been a Nikon Shooter since 2012, have around 13 F mount lenses. Got myself an FTZ adapter also. The camera with single 16-50mm kitlens came up to Rs 68k and FTZ adapter came to Rs 11990. Have had it since June 12th, 2021 and here are a few pics...Love the dynamic range of APSC sensor and how intuitive it is for a Nikon shooter. Great image quality, I'm basically a photo stills guy not much into videos: so serves me well... I was looking at Sony Alpha 7 C, Fujifilm, but the brain got the better of me and slowly started leaning towards the Nikon Z50 for it's VFM pricetag and also the autofocus according to net reviews is better than the Z6 and Z7. I really haven't taken of the kitlens except for taking family shots with my 50mm f/1.8 and 35mm DX f/1.8 with the FTZ. Face and eye detect work like a charm. I really can't comment as I haven't tried the autofocus king Sony Alpha. The Z 50 doesn't have IBIS, but the lenses have VR. The 20.9MP sensor also doesn't strain my old desktop's CPU much and am able to edit without the system's fan 'whirring' all the time, those going in for the Sony Alpha 60MP sensors must first upgrade the system to take on large files before buying the cam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 5111367)
After much dilly dallying whether I need a mirrorless, got myself a Nikon Z50 with the Nikkor Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR lens. The camera and lens is a match made in heaven, I'm biased as I've been a Nikon Shooter since 2012, have around 13 F mount lenses. Got myself an FTZ adapter also. The camera with single 16-50mm kitlens came up to Rs 68k and FTZ adapter came to Rs 11990. Have had it since June 12th, 2021 and here are a few pics...Love the dynamic range of APSC sensor and how intuitive it is for a Nikon shooter. Great image quality, I'm basically a photo stills guy not much into videos: so serves me well... I was looking at Sony Alpha 7 C, Fujifilm, but the brain got the better of me and slowly started leaning towards the Nikon Z50 for it's VFM pricetag and also the autofocus according to net reviews is better than the Z6 and Z7.

I too have the Z50 with both kit lenses and the FTZ adapter and find the quality of my very amateur shots much better with the Z50 than my trusty old D90.

The only issue I have with the Z50 is how quickly the battery runs out.

Stunning pics, I have a lot of catching up to do to reach your level.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durango Dude (Post 5111367)
After much dilly dallying whether I need a mirrorless, got myself a Nikon Z50

Wow! Really beautiful pictures!

Quote:

Originally Posted by keroo1099 (Post 5111386)
I too have the Z50 with both kit lenses and the FTZ adapter and find the quality of my very amateur shots much better with the Z50 than my trusty old D90.

The only issue I have with the Z50 is how quickly the battery runs out.

Stunning pics, I have a lot of catching up to do to reach your level.

Many thanks, Kerool! Realized that battery issue and got a spare battery in the same week I got the camera and now I'm comfortable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5111450)
Wow! Really beautiful pictures

Many thanks, Thad, The first pic is from Thiru Vi Ka Bridge, Adyar, the other three are from Elliot's beach at sunrise and last is from my residence terrace.

My wife was doing pooja, this evening and I took the chance to steal a few shots after she was done with the Z50 and kit lens: 16-50mm handheld shot.

I am planning to purchase an entry level DSLR/mirrorless camera. I am a novice at photography and have decided to test the waters.

I have shortlisted Sony Alpha 6000Y which comes with 16-50 and 55-210 mm kit lens. I intend to use this for still photos and this will be my primary travel camera. My use scenarios will be landscapes, family parties, the usual street photography. I understand that this is a 7-year old model and is considered ancient by today's standards. One thing all the reviews point out is that this camera has super sharp autofocus and is still very capable even today. I do not intend to use it for videos. Hence, I am okay with the lack of 4K.

My budget is around 60K. I am into amateur mobile photography for a long time now and want to take my hobby to the next level. Although I can extend my budget, I do not intend to spend more than 55-60K at this point since this is purely for learning purposes. I plan to upgrade to more powerful kit sometime in the future. But first, I would like to learn the nuances of photography with an entry level kit.

Any suggestions? I am okay with both DSLRs and mirrorless (preferred due to compact dimensions). Should I get the Sony or should I stick to more conventional brands like Canon? M50 MkII is my budget as well. I am asking this since I am worried about spares availability - especially the battery. I could find no genuine Sony replacement batteries online where I could find genuine Canon/Nikon batteries easily. I intend to keep this Camera even if I upgrade to something else in the future, hence I am not looking for second hand bodies (truth is I cannot tell if the camera works as it should or not - newbie here).

Quote:

Originally Posted by furyrider (Post 5115164)
I am planning to purchase an entry level DSLR/mirrorless camera. I am a novice at photography and have decided to test the waters. My budget is around 60K. I am into amateur mobile photography for a long time now and want to take my hobby to the next level. Although I can extend my budget, I do not intend to spend more than 55-60K at this point since this is purely for learning purposes. I plan to upgrade to more powerful kit sometime in the future. But first, I would like to learn the nuances of photography with an entry level kit. Any suggestions?

I suggest you look at the Sony ZV-E-10.

https://youtu.be/z48-5QGetTE

I suggest that he looks at the a6100, the update to the a6000 --- but I don't know the price difference.

Users of the OMD EM 5 MK II, could you please let me know if there is a possibility to pause a video recording and resume it? I could not find a way to do it other than to record short clips which result in separate video files. Any ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 5124143)
Users of the OMD EM 5 MK II, could you please let me know if there is a possibility to pause a video recording and resume it?

NO

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe1980 (Post 5124143)
I could not find a way to do it other than to record short clips which result in separate video files. Any ideas?

Yes, you can use the in camera "My clips" recording and ediiting feature which can stitch multiple short clips into one single file. I hope you already know this if you have read the manual pg 42, 43 (link). This is the best in camera method to get a single file. But as the last comment in the dpreview thread discussing on this very same topic says :

Quote:

You can easily trim / clip/ merge video clips with almost any video editor including the Olympus Viewer 3 software. Do the world a favor and edit your video clips. No one can watch unedited video clips for more than a few seconds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 5115201)
I suggest that he looks at the a6100, the update to the a6000 --- but I don't know the price difference.

Not that I am into evil cameras - I prefer kinder and good hearted ones :p - but isn't a6500 the latest? Though, it is a good idea to buy one-two generation older depending on the use case.

I have been waiting for the Z9. I would need to win a lottery or two to buy that along with some other stuff I have in mind.

Till then, my 3-year old gear will have to suffice.

Approaching tigress
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-headonencounter_temp.jpg

Red-rumped swallow in flight. They can be quite frisky, so shooting them is a good exercise in focusing and tracking.
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-_dsc1370_00001.jpg

Peeper
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-peeperbw.jpg

Dawn shot, Uttarakhand
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-_dsc4479_00001b45.jpg

Demoiselle cranes in Rajasthan
Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-_dsc7786_00001.jpg

I went all-in because of my upcoming trip.

Sony A7C
Sony 20mm f1.8 G
Sigma 28-70 f2.8 DG DN Contemporary
Tamron 70-300mm F/4.5-6.3 Di III RXD

My main purpose is to take milky way photography and night scapes so got the 20mm Sony lens. The other 2 are just to complete the range. Telephoto isn't great, just decent but works ok and relatively very lightweight.

Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras-20210906_201403.jpg