Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-152.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4549948)
I just ordered a Sony a6500, But Why? Answers other than my own are welcome!

When I bought my a6000 nearly two years ago, I was fairly sure that the a6500 was the better choice, but...

Congratulations for a worthy upgrade. Must say the fast autofocus will keep you hooked up with the camera and you will be going to enjoy it whenever you will venture out.

Just one question why didn't you opted for a6600.

I bought a6300 two years back, enjoying every bit of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highh5 (Post 4847789)
Just one question why didn't you opted for a6600.

It was a case of very-latest auto-focus facilities (eg always-on eye autofocus) vs IBIS. I wanted the IBIS, for use with non-OSS lenses. At the time I was using a fully-manual Tamron 90mm. IBIS certainly made a difference. Even when I got the Sony FE85/1.8, and was able to enjoy automatic functions, the lens does not have OSS. I don't have the steadiest of hands.

Also, cost. The a6600, is over 1 Lakh today. I don't recall it's release price. I got my a6500, body only, for under 80k back in Feb '19.

A third factor is the pop-up flash. I seldom use it, but I like that it is there. Even though the a6500 flash gives me exposure problems I never had with the a6000 flash. Don't know why; I guess it is the same.

I would see myself spending money on lenses, if I can, for the next two years or so. Maybe I'd be interested in buying the a6600's successor after it's successor comes out.

<a couple of hours later>
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 4847909)
It was a case of very-latest auto-focus facilities (eg always-on eye autofocus) vs IBIS.

Wait, I'm confused. The a6600 was, I think, not out then. So the competitor was the a6400, which has the flash, but no IBIS.

Guys had a curious observation the low light nigh time photos from the Redmi Note 7s are better and clearer *gasp* than my Samung NX1000.
How come?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee (Post 4844280)
If you are willing to wait for a few months, yet to be announced Nikon Z5 will be available at a similar price to those bodies. As per the rumour, it is going to be launched on 21st July and would probably be on shelves from September/October.

Thanks. The Z5 has landed. At around about the same price range I am looking at.

Will study a bit more and decide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 4848263)
Guys had a curious observation the low light nigh time photos from the Redmi Note 7s are better and clearer *gasp* than my Samung NX1000.
How come?

That is not a mirrorless camera. It is a "point and shoot" camera. Please look up specifications. The sensor would be smaller than APS-C. (Search the web on "camera sensors"). Yes, mobiles are getting very close DSLRs. That is a bit like saying that a car with 110HP is similar to a six wheel truck with a turbo inter cooled diesel 110HP engine. If you accept that both are meant for very different purposes, the world will be a better place to live in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 4848550)
That is not a mirrorless camera. It is a "point and shoot" camera. Please look up specifications. The sensor would be smaller than APS-C.

Actually, it does have APS-C sensor. :) And it is a mirrorless.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 4848263)
Guys had a curious observation the low light nigh time photos from the Redmi Note 7s are better and clearer *gasp* than my Samung NX1000. How come?

The answer depends on the lens. Do you use kit lens or the high-end lens? That is the only way to race ahead of smartphone cameras.

My newest mirrorless body is over 5 years old. But it can stay ahead of mobile phones mainly because of the lens collection I have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR (Post 4848550)
That is not a mirrorless camera. It is a "point and shoot" camera. Please look up specifications.

:)
Come on I don't post here on this thread but am not that naive:
https://www.samsung.com/uk/cameras/2...ens-nx1000bab/
http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/ca...00-review.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 4848558)
Actually, it does have APS-C sensor. :) And it is a mirrorless.

The answer depends on the lens. Do you use kit lens or the high-end lens? That is the only way to race ahead of smartphone cameras.

My newest mirrorless body is over 5 years old. But it can stay ahead of mobile phones mainly because of the lens collection I have.

I use the stock lens with F/3.5, however I am inclined to believe that the problem is not with the Lens since:
- the daylight performance is considerably higher in Camera vs Phone
- night time requires higher ISOs and that's where the Phone outperforms the Camera

And this is what is baffling me, how is the high ISO performance of Phone better than Camera?

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha1 (Post 4848604)
I use the stock lens with F/3.5, however I am inclined to believe that the problem is not with the Lens since:
- night time requires higher ISOs and that's where the Phone outperforms the Camera

And this is what is baffling me, how is the high ISO performance of Phone better than Camera?

Phones use a concept called computational photography which heavily relies on taking multiple photos and doing post processing to deliver final results.

These days thats a hot research topic. Just look performance of iPhone's in this area, and the number of acquisitions Apple has done in this area.

Quote:

Actually, this is why you should believe it. Bigger aperture lenses can deliver lot more light than kit lens, which really matters in low light. In day light, both lens may use F/5.6, but in low light the high-end lens can drop to low F values, and kit lens can't do it. And lens IQ is lot higher in high end lenses.

Then there is computational photography, as rjainv mentioned. Ability to switch lens to meet different requirements is the only thing that keeps ILCs ahead in the game. If you stick to kit lens, you lose that sole advantage.

Quote:

night time requires higher ISOs and that's where the Phone outperforms the Camera

If it happens in low light only, the 'in-camera noise reduction' could be your culprit. Check whether it's turned on. Or it could be low shutter speed! Can you post EXIF data of one such image?

Quote:

Come on I don't post here on this thread but am not that naive:

Oops my apologies. I had done a quick search which showed up a description of the camera as a "point and shoot". I believe your question is answered. Personally in low light, I play around with aperture, shutter speed and ISO, in that order. To confirm what others have said, I have a f/1.8 which gives very good performance in low light.

Also shooting in RAW mode (or RAW + Jpeg) and processing the RAW file using software is an option.

I will click some pix and upload here for your review.
F1.8 lens will of course give a good result compared to F3.5 because it will utilize two stops lower ISO.

But my question is that I am not using any large aperture lens in camera, also the camera sensor is teeny sized compared to APS-C. So why does it create a better pic compared to APS-C camera?

Computational photography appears to be the answer.
Anyway, let me post the pics for comparison.

Here is a good article which gives more insights into phone camera and computational photography.

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/9828...al-photography

Hey guys an update.

Finally settled on Sony. But upscaled to Full frame. It's the Sony A7iii for me.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vibbs (Post 4852612)
It's the Sony A7iii for me.

Congratulations on the new treat :D.

Now you can start your regular payments for your LIP. That's Lens Investment Plan rl: