Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-25.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! (Post 2806959)
I bought it on amazon.com for $399. The price fluctuates between $359 and as much as $500+ depending on the current availability, but I had a certain deadline (I had to ship it to someone returning from the US) and didn't want to wait and see if the price will fall further. At Rs 22000 it's a pretty pricey purchase, but I'm hoping it will live up to the hype. I plan to make this my main lens. Just received it a week ago; I haven't managed to use it properly so far (except for some test shots).

Do post a picture of EPL-1 mounted with that lens.
And of EPL-1 with the kit lens.

And 22k is worth it. It is one of the best lens in the M4/3 lineup now-a-days.

Thinking of picking up an entry level oly e-pm1 for wifey. How good is this since it seems to be rather cheap?

Does anybody know where can we buy Panasonic lenses in Bangalore or India? Are these available in grey market?

Don't know much aboout m4\3 cameras, but I have the opportunity to pick up a GF3 with the 14-42 zoom lens for my parents for about $255. I know the GF5 has been launched but, considering the bargain price is it still a good camera to buy for my parents who want a simple camera without a viewfinder and too many buttons and knobs with good iq?

Hope it is not out of place to discuss MFT cameras. Anyone purchased the OMD-E-M5 recently? What is the best price body only seen in India?

Thanks
--R

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragul (Post 2876569)
Hope it is not out of place to discuss MFT cameras. Anyone purchased the OMD-E-M5 recently? What is the best price body only seen in India?

Thanks
--R

I remember Hellwarth saying that Photocircle in Bangalore was quoting 55k without lens. PM him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragul (Post 2876569)

Thanks
--R

The best price I think is on ebay, around 58-59k

Quote:

Originally Posted by download2live (Post 2876598)
I remember Hellwarth saying that Photocircle in Bangalore was quoting 55k without lens. PM him.

Err, I think you got that wrong :). It has never been that low.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 2876603)
The best price I think is on ebay, around 58-59k

Err, I think you got that wrong :). It has never been that low.

Thanks, I dont see any offers for a body only and whatevers there does not specify the lens bundled and its at 71K.

--R

MFT cameras seem to be significantly more expensive than DSLRs. How does it stack up against a good DSLR in terms of potential for good pictures in the hands of the same photographer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragul (Post 2877211)
Thanks, I dont see any offers for a body only and whatevers there does not specify the lens bundled and its at 71K.

--R

Search for "E-M5" on ebay.in and you'll find. That has been around for a while, not sure if I can trust it enough. But, if you want the black OM-D, I am pretty sure Jayesh (Fotocircle) has it in stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skandyhere (Post 2877356)
MFT cameras seem to be significantly more expensive than DSLRs. How does it stack up against a good DSLR in terms of potential for good pictures in the hands of the same photographer?

I'll go get some popcorn to enjoy the MFT trashing :D. On a serious note, I doubt camera makes a difference for most of our uses. Rudra can make and has been making wonderful images with his FF DSLR, a Canon S95 and his iPhone. But, he knows which to use when. And that's what matters in the end. Also, OM-D is one of the costlier MFT cameras, there are others like E-PL1 which can be found at a much lower price than a regular DSLR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skandyhere (Post 2877356)

I have done my bit of research on the E-M5 and I am picking it up because it looks retro and looks like something I will love holding in my hands. Ideally I would pick up the Fuji X100 but the lack of interchangeable lenses and what I suspect is a badly designed over complex menu (with only a few lens choices) also made me rule out the X1-pro

If you shoot wildlife or action shots then there is no telephoto lens for the em5 currently as the 4/3rds adapter ring with phase-detect focusing lenses is sub-optimal and slow with contrast-detect focusing of EM5. However my application for the telephoto is going to be still shots besides by the time I get around to affording the 3rd lens (which will be telephoto) something new might come up that is a great fit and close to super high grade but with only high grade prices. <dreaming>.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 2877657)
Search for "E-M5" on ebay.in and you'll find. That has been around for a while, not sure if I can trust it enough. But, if you want the black OM-D, I am pretty sure Jayesh (Fotocircle) has it in stock.
<snip>
Also, OM-D is one of the costlier MFT cameras, there are others like E-PL1 which can be found at a much lower price than a regular DSLR.

Oh I wanted the silver one for the "coming from another era" look. Let me call and find out - I can wait a month if delivery is promised.

Given what I plan to spend on the em5 I could possibly afford a d7000? but I have held off buying a dslr for longer than 3+ years because I dont like their plasticky modern bodies with their lack of timeless design quality. Still craving for the grating whirring tactile feel of the film advance lever . But I will settle for the em5 for its looks. As the popular hiring joke goes, after an intensive round of skills interviews "I'll take the blonde with the great looks" :)

--R

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragul (Post 2878239)
I have done my bit of research on the E-M5 and I am picking it up because it looks retro and looks like something I will love holding in my hands. Ideally I would pick up the Fuji X100 but the lack of interchangeable lenses and what I suspect is a badly designed over complex menu (with only a few lens choices) also made me rule out the X1-pro

If you shoot wildlife or action shots then there is no telephoto lens for the em5 currently as the 4/3rds adapter ring with phase-detect focusing lenses is sub-optimal and slow with contrast-detect focusing of EM5. However my application for the telephoto is going to be still shots besides by the time I get around to affording the 3rd lens (which will be telephoto) something new might come up that is a great fit and close to super high grade but with only high grade prices. <dreaming>.

Oh I wanted the silver one for the "coming from another era" look. Let me call and find out - I can wait a month if delivery is promised.

Given what I plan to spend on the em5 I could possibly afford a d7000? but I have held off buying a dslr for longer than 3+ years because I dont like their plasticky modern bodies with their lack of timeless design quality. Still craving for the grating whirring tactile feel of the film advance lever . But I will settle for the em5 for its looks. As the popular hiring joke goes, after an intensive round of skills interviews "I'll take the blonde with the great looks" :)

--R

Ragul,

I am really glad that you have done your research and know what you're buying :). I wanted to delay my purchase of the silver OM-D but I did a mistake of accompanying a friend along to Jayesh's. That's it, I asked Jayesh to get one for me asap. Fortunately, he did get it couple of weeks later and so far I love it. The D7000 is good and I hate to post the link here (because it will start a riot, and I am in no mood to argue :)), but do look around and you'll see a lot of comparisons. If you ask me, they're both close for most of our needs and it comes down to size and weight and ofcourse the feel.

I'll probably get the X100 couple of years later when it goes below $500, it's a lovely lovely camera.

Anyway, here are some photographs I made of this beauty when I first got it:

Congrats! Meanwhile I am stuck carrying both E3 and E-PL1 to all the OTR events. Don't have the moolah for E-M5 unless we bag some big contract.:Frustrati

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 2878269)
I wanted to delay my purchase of the silver OM-D but I did a mistake of accompanying a friend along to Jayesh's. . Fortunately, he did get it couple of weeks later and so far I love it. it:

Congrats HW. Great choice. This is the MFT camera that I would pick up today. I just love this Oly model. I'd put the Fuju X Pro 1 in a very close 2nd place and that's mainly because of the price (Rs 1 L?! They have to be kidding). But the Oly gets a thumbs up from me. I've been drooling over this beauty for a while now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragul (Post 2878239)
Given what I plan to spend on the em5 I could possibly afford a d7000? But I will settle for the em5 for its looks. As the popular hiring joke goes, after an intensive round of skills interviews "I'll take the blonde with the great looks" :)

Well said - the bit about the blonde that is. I find the Oly delectable and it's got me hooked. Pray I don't see one in the flesh err..metal as I might just buy it.

If you do NOT have any Nikon baggage to carry - read lenses, flashes et al and you do not foresee a need for Nikon's wide range of lenses in the future, between the Nikon D7K and the Oly I'd go in for the Oly. This is from a person who is into full frame DSLRs. Believe me, I SO tempted I might buy one for my wife just so that I get to use it. :uncontrol

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellwratH (Post 2878269)
Ragul,

I am really glad that you have done your research and know what you're buying :). I wanted to delay my purchase of the silver OM-D but I did a mistake of accompanying a friend along to Jayesh's. That's it, I asked Jayesh to get one for me asap. Fortunately, he did get it couple of weeks later and so far I love it. The D7000 is good and I hate to post the link here (because it will start a riot, and I am in no mood to argue :)), but do look around and you'll see a lot of comparisons. If you ask me, they're both close for most of our needs and it comes down to size and weight and ofcourse the feel.

I'll probably get the X100 couple of years later when it goes below $500, it's a lovely lovely camera.

Anyway, here are some photographs I made of this beauty when I first got it:

Neat! My current credit card bill is going to run into 50K I think so I plan to postpone this until September. There is little chance I am going to buy a dslr even if the IQ is superior, not that the Oly + a few carefully selected lenses do not deliver. Its about pride of ownership I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 2878411)
Well said - the bit about the blonde that is. I find the Oly delectable and it's got me hooked. Pray I don't see one in the flesh err..metal as I might just buy it.

If you do NOT have any Nikon baggage to carry - read lenses, flashes et al and you do not foresee a need for Nikon's wide range of lenses in the future, between the Nikon D7K and the Oly I'd go in for the Oly. This is from a person who is into full frame DSLRs. Believe me, I SO tempted I might buy one for my wife just so that I get to use it. :uncontrol

I don't. I've been "dslr-ready" since many years but holding back... just like some guy's wait too looong, for the right girl to marry! lol:

--R