Team-BHP - Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/93694-mirrorless-evil-cameras-23.html)

Just read that the Nikon V1 and J1 have been launched in India.

Nikon launches V1 and J1 in India - NDTVGadgets.com

Quoting from the site the prices are:

Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30mm lens - Rs. 43, 950
Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30mm + 30-110mm lens - Rs. 53, 950
Freebies: 4GB SD Card.

Nikon 1 J1 with 10-30mm lens - Rs. 29,950
Nikon 1 J1 with 10-30mm + 30-110mm lens - Rs. 39,950
Nikon 1 J1 with 10-30mm + 30-110mm lens (special pink kit) - Rs. 40,950
Freebies: 4GB SD Card.

Cheers!

That's D5100 price level with kit lens. Nikon's trying to spin money off the 1 series. I'd pick the D5100 anyday, if I wanted a compact system, the NEXs make more sense, the 1 isn't that much smaller physically, while the sensor is smaller than 4/3.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricci (Post 2724228)

That's D5100 price level with kit lens. Nikon's trying to spin money off the 1 series. I'd pick the D5100 anyday, if I wanted a compact system, the NEXs make more sense, the 1 isn't that much smaller physically, while the sensor is smaller than 4/3.

This Nikon V1 kit costs $846 at B&H in the US approx 42.3K. So the pricing out here is not bad at all. In fact I am noticing that their current cameras are being priced at US levels..for a change. It is good for us in India. You are right, better to pick a D5100 DSLR over the N-V1 at a lower price.

If choosing between the Sony NEX system and N-1, I'd still prefer the N-1 series because one gets the advantage of using many of Nikon's full frame lenses albeit with an adapter. This is an advantage especially for those already using Nikon system like myself. The N-1 series has shown some pretty good results, you need to see Torque Guru's photos where he used Nikon FX lenses with the V1 body.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2673626)
That lens is confusing the hell out of me. They got the FL spot on, 12-50mm. But it is F/6.3 at tele end :eek: and really looooong.

Samurai, how bad is the standard 14-42mm lens with the EPL1 for landscape photos? I know I can't expect anything from this lens for zooming (or maybe macros) but the general trip photography is either portraits (people standing to pose with a backdrop) or landscapes (lakes/hills etc).

I have a $300 budget (to get something from the US). Have the Canon SX130 - need an upgrade in terms of image quality (also a minor requirement of a neck strap) - with the standard manual controls, and a compact size.

Couldnt find anything within $300 apart from the EPL1. However, since it requires different lenses for different kinds of photos, I thought I'll ask about its suitability for normal pics. I will not be able to afford additional lenses (at least for a year or two), so need to figure out whether the kit lens will do for now.

Amazon.com: Olympus PEN E-PL1 12.3MP Live MOS Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens (Black): Camera & Photo

Finally does it use AA batteries?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 2725480)
This Nikon V1 kit costs $846 at B&H in the US approx 42.3K. So the pricing out here is not bad at all. In fact I am noticing that their current cameras are being priced at US levels..for a change. It is good for us in India. You are right, better to pick a D5100 DSLR over the N-V1 at a lower price.
If choosing between the Sony NEX system and N-1, I'd still prefer the N-1 series because one gets the advantage of using many of Nikon's full frame lenses albeit with an adapter. This is an advantage especially for those already using Nikon system like myself.

One can very well use Nikon lenses on a NEX as well - suitable adaptors exist. I'd get NEX-5N instead of Nikon V1 as of now - not because I am a Sony user but based on reviews.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 2754840)
One can very well use Nikon lenses on a NEX as well - suitable adaptors exist. I'd get NEX-5N instead of Nikon V1 as of now - not because I am a Sony user but based on reviews.

I too believe that the Sony NEX bodies, especially the NEX7, are far better as of now, but would still prefer using a Nikon lens with Nikon EVIL cameras.

What what I have read, with an adapter, AF and VR dont work and metering and mode compatability is only partial i.e. stop down metering aperture priority. Manual focus is a big negative as all my lenses are AF-S and I am used to fast AF afforded by my current and previous Nikon D/SLR bodies.

I'd rather wait for the next gen Nikon-1 cameras. If Nikon's 2012 releases are anything to go by the next gen N-1 system should see major improvements. The good thing (that is if you haven't bought an EVIL camera yet) that they have short consumer style product lifecycles, almost like PnS, so we should get at least incremental if not major upgrades every 6-12 months. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 2755051)
I too believe that the Sony NEX bodies, especially the NEX7, are far better as of now, but would still prefer using a Nikon lens with Nikon EVIL cameras.

What what I have read, with an adapter, AF and VR dont work and metering and mode compatability is only partial i.e. stop down metering aperture priority. Manual focus is a big negative as all my lenses are AF-S and I am used to fast AF afforded by my current and previous Nikon D/SLR bodies.

Yes, there are limitations but you will find an adapter for about $35. Nikon's own adapter in which all the features work costs almost another camera, $270. Add that to the already high price of the V1.

My friend has a NEX and he uses Sony, Vivitar, Pentax & Minolta MD mount lenses in that. Though one cannot expect all the luxuries of an original system, it is really interesting to shoot with a variety of fine lenses and you can learn a thing or two from the manual aperture and focus controls. The prices of all the adapters won't add up to such an OEM adapter made for their own DSLR lenses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 2755073)
Yes, there are limitations but you will find an adapter for about $35. Nikon's own adapter in which all the features work costs almost another camera, $250. Add that to the already high price of the V1.

Not sure which adapter brand you are referring to, but the one standardised adapter brand that most people use for using Nikon lenses (esp. on Canon bodies), Novoflex, costs about $293 on B&H.

Novoflex Adapter for Nikon Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/NIK B&H

There may be cheap Chinese copies on Ebay, not what I would want to use with my Nikon glass on a NEX camera.

EDIT - in this I speak for myself. Others may have differing views.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2D2 (Post 2755083)
Not sure which adapter brand you are referring to, but the one standardised adapter brand that most people use for using Nikon lenses (esp. on Canon bodies), Novoflex, costs about $293 on B&H.
Novoflex Adapter for Nikon Lens to Sony NEX Camera NEX/NIK B&H
There may be cheap Chinese copies on Ebay, not what I would want to use with my Nikon glass on a NEX camera.

I found a cheaper one in Amazon for $39. Read some reviews from users who used this to mount Nikon lenses on NEX, this is a decent one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clevermax (Post 2755095)
I found a cheaper one in Amazon for $39. Read some reviews from users who used this to mount Nikon lenses on NEX, this is a decent one.

Thanks for the tip Clevermax. Feedback seems good and the product is US made which gives me some level of comfort. Will certainly keep this adapter brand in mind if I ever go in for a NEX.

But in all honesty I would prefer to stick to the Nikon EVIL 'system' as it were, if only for full compatibility with my FX lenses and speedlights. I'll simply wait till Nikon introduces the next gen V1 and J1 cameras and evaluate them. If nothing else, my current DSLRs should serve me well till Nikon introduce mirrorless FX cameras.

Cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayman360 (Post 2754830)
Samurai, how bad is the standard 14-42mm lens with the EPL1 for landscape photos? I know I can't expect anything from this lens for zooming (or maybe macros) but the general trip photography is either portraits (people standing to pose with a backdrop) or landscapes (lakes/hills etc).

Couldnt find anything within $300 apart from the EPL1. However, since it requires different lenses for different kinds of photos, I thought I'll ask about its suitability for normal pics. I will not be able to afford additional lenses (at least for a year or two), so need to figure out whether the kit lens will do for now.

Amazon.com: Olympus PEN E-PL1 12.3MP Live MOS Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Zuiko Digital Zoom Lens (Black): Camera & Photo

Finally does it use AA batteries?

Thanks!

Let me chip in. :)
It does not use AA battery.

The kit lens is optically well corrected lens.
If its E-PL1 I guess it will come with 1st generation kit lens. This set is a bit slow on autofocus in low light conditions. Try to get the second generation lens which comes with E-PL2.

That said I did not find the kit lens bad at all. In low light you can go for AF+MF combo. The auto focus will latch on to whatever focus it can and then you can take over to fine tune it manually.

14-42mm translates to equivalent of 28mm to 84mm.
So you have almost everything covered. 28mm for landscapes, 50mm for portraits and a little zoom which I really never used.

But as with any camera my suggestion is not to expect miracles. Work on you skills and given that you have the skills, this camera won't disappoint.

The implementation of fancy features like tracking etc are a bit slow. So if you into that stuff go for some other camera. But as far as core camera stuff is concerned E-PL1 just does fine at this price point.

Better go and handle one before buying. Autofocus in low light is a big deal to many.

In bold:

Quote:

Originally Posted by download2live (Post 2755137)
Let me chip in. :)
It does not use AA battery. (Thanks)

The kit lens is optically well corrected lens.
If its E-PL1 I guess it will come with 1st generation kit lens. This set is a bit slow on autofocus in low light conditions. Try to get the second generation lens which comes with E-PL2. (Not sure how I wud get the E-PL2 lens, I guess I would have to buy the EPL1 Body-only for $150 and then the EPL2 lens - would this exceed a total of $300?)

That said I did not find the kit lens bad at all. In low light you can go for AF+MF combo. The auto focus will latch on to whatever focus it can and then you can take over to fine tune it manually. (sounds fun!:))

14-42mm translates to equivalent of 28mm to 84mm.
So you have almost everything covered. 28mm for landscapes, 50mm for portraits and a little zoom which I really never used. (This sounds good for my needs, thanks!)

But as with any camera my suggestion is not to expect miracles. Work on you skills and given that you have the skills, this camera won't disappoint. (:thumbs up)

The implementation of fancy features like tracking etc are a bit slow. So if you into that stuff go for some other camera. But as far as core camera stuff is concerned E-PL1 just does fine at this price point. (Core camera functions are all I need)

Better go and handle one before buying. Autofocus in low light is a big deal to many.

Haven't seen the EPL1 in any of the large electronic showrooms (Croma, Relliance Digital), yes ideally getting a feel of the body is important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cayman360 (Post 2755221)
In bold:

Haven't seen the EPL1 in any of the large electronic showrooms (Croma, Relliance Digital), yes ideally getting a feel of the body is important.

Highly unlikely that you will get to handle one in the showrooms.
Its is a out of production model.

Maybe this can help :)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...l1-review.html

The E-PL1 is a discontinued model, so you can only find it as excess inventory in some shops. It is a very decent camera if you are upgrading from P&S. Can be considered same as entry level dSLRs. My experiment with E-PL1 didn't work since I tried to downgrade from E-3. I put it on sale and then removed it when I realized how much the price has dropped. The stock 14-42mm is decent unless you are used to better lenses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by download2live (Post 2755253)
Highly unlikely that you will get to handle one in the showrooms.
Its is a out of production model. (Which is why its cheap!)

Maybe this can help :)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...l1-review.html

Yes, have read!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 2755263)
The E-PL1 is a discontinued model, so you can only find it as excess inventory in some shops. It is a very decent camera if you are upgrading from P&S. Can be considered same as entry level dSLRs. My experiment with E-PL1 didn't work since I tried to downgrade from E-3. I put it on sale and then removed it when I realized how much the price has dropped. The stock 14-42mm is decent unless you are used to better lenses.

Thanks! Yes, I think its the perfect upgrade from a P&S. The SX150 sells for about 9500/- now, and there's hardly anything else that big enough to be comfy to hold and has higher image quality at about 15k.