View Poll Results: Chevrolet SPARK or Hyundai EON
Chevrolet SPARK 30 55.56%
Hyundai EON 20 37.04%
Others 4 7.41%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2014, 10:58   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Hyundai Eon or Used Spark as second car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
My suggestion is ditch both. Pick a used car which has done well like i10 or wagonr. Plenty of them available between 2-3 L. This would assure you spare parts till a long long time and also they are a step above the 2 cars you listed
Exactly my thoughts!!

Go for a car that has a good market run.
i10/Wagon R or even the Santro may be better bets.

Spark, though at 1.6 l looks enticing, GM and its A.S.S do not have very favorable reviews.

Better to stick with relatively better A.S.S and my two cents- Go with WR.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 16:09   #62
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet SPARK or Hyundai EON. EDIT- Spark booked

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Used or new also depends on how long you plan to keep the car.
If you don't know how long you are going to keep it, used is a great idea. You end up saving 1l plus including lower depreciation over the next few years.

I have a Quanto and an older Indica which Is used very less. I was myself thinking of selling the Indica and buying a used city or something like that which not only serves as a good second car but also for my enthu drives when required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The spark deal does look promising specially if you are so sure about the role of this car as strictly for office commute. Although if you plan to keep this for a long time then I will certainly recommend a new one. BTW how about the Nano?
Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
As you have already mentioned that you don't intend to re-sell the car I would recommend the spark.

My take on it (Having owned one for 3 years)
1. For a city run-about, its decently powered and the 4 pot engine is very silent and tractable.
2. The resale is bad. ( Translates to lower buying cost for you)
3. Spacious (Comparatively)
4. Service costs are nominal.
5. Used to deliver 14 KMPL in city driving with 100 % AC.
And the icing on the cake!
6. You get it for half the price for a new car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Exactly my thoughts!!

Go for a car that has a good market run.
i10/Wagon R or even the Santro may be better bets.

Spark, though at 1.6 l looks enticing, GM and its A.S.S do not have very favorable reviews.

Better to stick with relatively better A.S.S and my two cents- Go with WR.
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

After some long, hard thinking I have made up my mind to go for a new car rather than a used one. This is primarily considering that I will be keeping the car with me for a long time (at least 10+ years).

Was almost sold on Eon, despite its flimsy steering. Everything else about the car is perfect for my needs. Even the rather puny 800 cc engine as it would do duty only inside city (office and back, 10 kms a day).

Checked the prices and found that the difference between Eon Era + and Santro GL+ is around 30k after all discounts. Need to decide between these two cars now. My understanding of the differences between the two is as follows:-

Santro:-

- More Spacious
- More powerful and quieter engine
- Better overall driveability (City/Highways)
- Bigger (13") tyres
- Sturdy, proven car
- Dated design. Not a problem though as i still like it.

Eon:-

- Cheaper
- Better fuel Efficiency
- Way better interiors

Suggestions / feedbacks from fellow T-BHPians awaited to help me firm up my purchase. Specific inputs on FE figures will be most helpful. Request advice only on Eon/Santro as i am sure that i want to pick one of the two.

Regards.
Old 9th July 2014, 16:23   #63
Senior - BHPian

[quote=nvldvr;3474054]Thanks for the suggestions guys.

After some long, hard thinking I have made up my mind to go for a new car rather than a used one. This is primarily considering that I will be keeping the car with me for a long time (at least 10+ years).

Dear NV

Could not unerstand the post heading? Are you already through with the booking of the Spark. If yes, then why this comparo?

If you haven't, from the above two, why are you looking at a 14 year old Santro considering you plan to keep the car for at least 10 years?

Advice would have been to go with any of the below in decreasing order of preference:

1) Wagon R
2) Hyundai i10(not Grand as it may be over budget)
3) Alto(since you liked Eon, you may consider this)
4) Beat(More modern as compared to the basic Santro)
5) Santro

Other worthy considerations:

1) Datsun Go though long time reliability is a question
2) Ford Figo Base Version. With discounts, this may be within your budget
3) Spark(though it may be phased out soon considering very poor sales)

Again, recommendation would be to stick to the trusty WR considering the long term period you want to have the car.
Old 9th July 2014, 18:25   #64
BHPian

[quote=arnabchak;3474069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Dear NV

Could not unerstand the post heading? Are you already through with the booking of the Spark. If yes, then why this comparo?

If you haven't, from the above two, why are you looking at a 14 year old Santro considering you plan to keep the car for at least 10 years?

Advice would have been to go with any of the below in decreasing order of preference:

1) Wagon R
2) Hyundai i10(not Grand as it may be over budget)
3) Alto(since you liked Eon, you may consider this)
4) Beat(More modern as compared to the basic Santro)
5) Santro

Other worthy considerations:

1) Datsun Go though long time reliability is a question
2) Ford Figo Base Version. With discounts, this may be within your budget
3) Spark(though it may be phased out soon considering very poor sales)

Again, recommendation would be to stick to the trusty WR considering the long term period you want to have the car.
Hi Arnabchak, its just that the thread that i started has been merged into another thread by mods. Hence the misleading title. I haven't booked a spark.

You are advising me to not look at Santro because of its vintage. But then you tell me to go for Wagon R which is also of considerable vintage. I already have a 2005 Wagon R Lxi which is right now with my dad. Never really liked its gear shift, and at 9 years, quite a few rattles have creeped in.

Don't want to stretch my budget as it will just be a second car doing minimal duty everday (not more than 10-15 kms, one or two persons at max). For everything else, i have a scoprio.

Hence the dilemna between Santro and Eon.
Old 10th July 2014, 10:10   #65
Senior - BHPian

[quote=nvldvr;3474176][quote=arnabchak;3474069]

Hi Arnabchak, its just that the thread that i started has been merged into another thread by mods. Hence the misleading title. I haven't booked a spark.

The 2009 WR was the earlier model which notoriously had a notchy gear box.

This has been addressed in the newer version post 2012.
But since you already own a WR, no reason to go back for a new one.

You have rightly said that Santro and WR are of the same vintage yet WR has maintained its position in the top 4 through facelifts and innovations.
The K10 engine is extremely drivable and its is frugal in FE both in petrol and the CNG, which I own.

Coming back to the question, if its Santro and EON, then considering all aspects, my vote would be for Santro.

- Better engine
- Better space
- Quieter cabin
Old 11th July 2014, 08:41   #66
BHPian

[quote=arnabchak;3474563][quote=nvldvr;3474176]
Quote:

The 2009 WR was the earlier model which notoriously had a notchy gear box.

This has been addressed in the newer version post 2012.
But since you already own a WR, no reason to go back for a new one.

You have rightly said that Santro and WR are of the same vintage yet WR has maintained its position in the top 4 through facelifts and innovations.
The K10 engine is extremely drivable and its is frugal in FE both in petrol and the CNG, which I own.

Coming back to the question, if its Santro and EON, then considering all aspects, my vote would be for Santro.

- Better engine
- Better space
- Quieter cabin
Hi Arnab.

Will take a test drive of the new Wagon R and see for myself what the changes are compared to the old one. Looks good though and for not too much of a price differential, seems to be a much better car than eon.

What are the FE figures that you get with your waggy in city with AC on?
Old 11th July 2014, 10:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

[quote=nvldvr;3475334][quote=arnabchak;3474563]
Quote:

Hi Arnab.

Will take a test drive of the new Wagon R and see for myself what the changes are compared to the old one. Looks good though and for not too much of a price differential, seems to be a much better car than eon.

What are the FE figures that you get with your waggy in city with AC on?
Dear NV

The FE are as below:

Petrol: Approx. 15-16 kmpl in moderate traffic. 14 kmpl bumper to bumper.
Close to 20 kmpl on highways.

CNG: 21-22 km/kg in moderate. About 19-20 km/kg in bumper to bumper.
Approx. 28 km/kg on highways. Infact, during some trips, I could extract as high as 30-33 km/kg from the car.

All figures with 100% AC on. I never drive the car with windows down except in some rare cases when the hot air build up is more(but that too for a few minutes at the max).

Maintenance is decent and expect a service bill of close to 5K at MASS.

Take a TD for all your prospective buys and then decide!!
Old 11th July 2014, 11:21   #68
Senior - BHPian

My family went in for Eon last Dec, and we haven't regretted it. The interiors are plush and seem like a segment above. Its frugal - we get 16 kms a litre - and the steering, eminently maneuverable in the city traffic (Flimsy?). We don't miss anything.

Santro, though a work horse, is more than a decade old, and so is the engine. The engine is larger, but if it's purely city use you wouldn't notice the extra BHP. I'd definitely reconsider.

- More Spacious
- Bigger (13") tyres
- Sturdy, proven car

- Cheaper
- Better fuel Efficiency
- Way better interiors

Suggestions / feedback on Eon/Santro as i am sure that i want to pick one of the two.
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:19   #69
BHPian

[quote=arnabchak;3475416][quote=nvldvr;3475334]
Quote:

Dear NV

The FE are as below:

Petrol: Approx. 15-16 kmpl in moderate traffic. 14 kmpl bumper to bumper.
Close to 20 kmpl on highways.

CNG: 21-22 km/kg in moderate. About 19-20 km/kg in bumper to bumper.
Approx. 28 km/kg on highways. Infact, during some trips, I could extract as high as 30-33 km/kg from the car.

All figures with 100% AC on. I never drive the car with windows down except in some rare cases when the hot air build up is more(but that too for a few minutes at the max).

Maintenance is decent and expect a service bill of close to 5K at MASS.

Take a TD for all your prospective buys and then decide!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My family went in for Eon last Dec, and we haven't regretted it. The interiors are plush and seem like a segment above. Its frugal - we get 16 kms a litre - and the steering, eminently maneuverable in the city traffic (Flimsy?). We don't miss anything.

Santro, though a work horse, is more than a decade old, and so is the engine. The engine is larger, but if it's purely city use you wouldn't notice the extra BHP. I'd definitely reconsider.

- More Spacious
- Bigger (13") tyres
- Sturdy, proven car

- Cheaper
- Better fuel Efficiency
- Way better interiors

Suggestions / feedback on Eon/Santro as i am sure that i want to pick one of the two.
Thanks everyone for helping me decide.

So Wagon R it is going to be. Test drove the vehicle a couple of times. Loved most things about the car. Had read a lot about the 'lack of low end torque' and 'difficult to drive in bumper to bumper traffic' issues in the car. But i found the engine to be responsive enough. I drive a Scorpio and yet found the car to be very good for city driving.

The Celerio had me undecided for a bit. But then the offers pouring in on the Waggie completely tilted the scales. 65-70 K premium for the Celerio didn't seem worth at all.

A special word of thanks to Arnab. It was your input that made me look at the new Wagon R.

Hope to get the finance arranged by day after and delivery of vehicle by saturday.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:34   #70
Senior - BHPian

[quote=nvldvr;3485492][quote=arnabchak;3475416]
Quote:

Thanks everyone for helping me decide.

So Wagon R it is going to be.

A special word of thanks to Arnab. It was your input that made me look at the new Wagon R.

Hope to get the finance arranged by day after and delivery of vehicle by saturday.

Thanks again.
Dear NV

Congrats and a very good and informed choice.
Wish you many happy kms and drives with your new steed!!

Should you need any further assistance with regards to any maintenance/query, pls. PM me and will help you with whatever experience/little knowledge I have of this wonderful vehicle

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks