Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2006, 10:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
(3) I juz test rode a VXi model (demo car, 11k done) and what I felt is that the car is only a bit better than my Indica DLE in terms of power delivery!!! As am fed up with the Indica's moving ability, my primary concern in a new car is smooth power delivery!! What say?!
Nikhil
I keep saying this. Buy a car wich suits your driving style. I don't think you would be happy with Swift, unless you radically change your driving style to see the "upper" side of the world (Above 2000rpm).

Looks like you need a car with short gearing and lot of low end grunt. Accent CRDi is the one immediately comes into my mind, but that may be above your budget.

How is Indica Turbo in this respect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar
My friend has a Swift ZXi and these are my comments, If you want a car for performance and exciting to drive, then swift is not the car for you, also the mileage is not very very good.
A very subjective comment! If I ever buy Swift, that would be only because of the excellent performance and exciting drive. And mileage, please compare with similar sized cars.
Old 28th August 2006, 11:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Whitenight is correct. If you are a 'dieselhead', petrol Swift is definitely going to disappoint you. Petrol engines mostly start working after 2k rpm. That being said, if you do want to, just go for ZXI. It has lots of stuff that you simply cannot get by going VXI+ABS+accessories. Also forget about LPG in Swift, it is not worth voiding warranty, especially in ZXI.

Other people have given you very sensible choices otherwise: Indica/Indigo Turbo, Accent crdi, Wagon-R duo-LPG or wait for diesel swift, due in a few months. Definitely not Getz, it is worse in moving ability, mileage, etc.
Old 28th August 2006, 11:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
And oh- I've been driving my Zxi since 1 year and 2 months (or so), and no problems so far. Touchwood. No climate control or mechanical issues. Yes, body parts DO tend to rattle, but not the hood- mainly the B & C pillar panels. And in certain cases, the struts. Not all, mind you. But that's it.
Have you been able to get Maruti to fix the rattles in the B & C pillars? The B pillar rattle is most certainly the adjustable seatbelt component. For the life of me I cannot figure out the C pillar rattle. There should be nothing there to rattle!
Old 28th August 2006, 13:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Indica has one of the best brakes in the business.
I totally agree having driven an Indica for 5+ years. Even without ABS, it packs a mighty punch.

While on a 2-year sojourn in Bangalore when I used to drive to Kerala regularly, I remember the notorious Kerala highways where private buses suddenly stop smack in the middle of the road to pick passengers. I have had a couple of narrow misses and I'm living to tell the story thanks to the solid Indica brakes.

Last edited by pradkumar : 28th August 2006 at 14:01.
Old 28th August 2006, 15:13   #20
BHPian

Quote:
A correction here. All Swifts come with 14" wheels; Lxi, Vxi, and Zxi. No 13" options. The Zxi only comes with larger profile tyres. That's it.

Secondly, for the amount of running that you intend to do, I would suggest you go for the new LPG-fitted (O.E from Maruti) Wagon-R. You won't be disappointed.

If you've made up your mind, then go ahead. But if you intend to fit LPG, your resale value will be affected anyways. Go for the Vxi-ABS and change the wheels later, if you want. The difference amount between the Vxi-ABS and the Zxi will cover your LPG conversion costs and larger wheels, if you want them.

And oh- I've been driving my Zxi since 1 year and 2 months (or so), and no problems so far. Touchwood. No climate control or mechanical issues. Yes, body parts DO tend to rattle, but not the hood- mainly the B & C pillar panels. And in certain cases, the struts. Not all, mind you. But that's it.

I guesss that is a sensible advise you gotta pay attention to. The zxi is a more safer car( due to abs+airbags) than the other models vxi and lxi.

If money is not an issue go for the zxi and if you want a value for money proposition, it would be wagon r ( LPG version) followed by SWIFT Vxi+ ABS+ LPG.
Old 28th August 2006, 15:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A correction here. All Swifts come with 14" wheels; Lxi, Vxi, and Zxi. No 13" options. The Zxi only comes with larger profile tyres. That's it.
All variants come with 14"
Zxi comes with a broader n a lower profile tyre 185/70-14 as compared to lxi or vxi 165/80-14...

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
Indica has one of the best brakes in the business.

They are good but not the best in all conditions.....
Old 28th August 2006, 16:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
My friend has a Swift ZXi and these are my comments, If you want a car for performance and exciting to drive, then swift is not the car for you, also the mileage is not very very good. You will get about 9 kpl in the city.
Swift is not exciting to drive ??!!
I've had a swift for about 9 months now and have consistently extracted an average of around 12kmpl in the city.
Also let me specify here that I'm not one of those timid drivers.
Let me add (as additional evidence of my 'need for speed'), my other vehicle was a CBR 600cc which I sold recently and am planning to upgrade to a 1000cc bike
Yes, my style of driving and the current pathetic condition of the Mumbai roads has taken a toll on the swift and off late I've started hearing a few rattling sounds in the b pillar and from the back which should not be too difficult to fix I guess. Just that I've not got the time to investigate.
I'd suggest u to go in for VXI+ABS.
REASON: I've heard that if the airbags deploy in the event of a minor collision, not only r there chances of u suffering from more injuries than otherwise, but you'll have to pay a hefty repair bill as insurance does not cover a major part of repairs where plastics and electrical items r concerned.

Quote:
Also take alook at the Getz, It is a very nice car and is about 50k cheaper than the ZXi, of course you will not get clim - control and alloys but if you can live w/o it I will advise you to go for the getz.
As far as I'm aware the getz is more expensive than the swift if u compare similar models.
Besides swift would have cheaper parts and a higher resale.
Old 28th August 2006, 16:37   #23
BHPian

take a VXi if u don't have a fetish for Safety as in air bags...with the money saved.........u can always go for

1. After market Performance tyres +alloys
2.music system....for which go through the ICE section.

Resale For a Zxi would be same As for Vxi.....
Old 28th August 2006, 17:00   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikefreak
REASON: I've heard that if the airbags deploy in the event of a minor collision, not only r there chances of u suffering from more injuries than otherwise, but you'll have to pay a hefty repair bill as insurance does not cover a major part of repairs where plastics and electrical items r concerned.
Airbags dont make sense if you dont wear the seatbelts and they function as a supplementary safety.
Old 28th August 2006, 19:37   #25
BHPian

hey all dear guys!!!

ballkey, vkochar, whiteknight, sandeep, pradkumar, muni, kpzen, bikefreak and VEYRON....

Many thanks to you all...!!! Very informative responces indeed!!! No words to express my gratitude....

Veyron and ballkey, reg tyres, infact I admit my mistake... yes..all swifts comes with 14" tyres.

vkochar, thanks for that reply... am not an enthusiastic driver as you guess... but the least I expect is decent moving ability of the car!! and as you said, i too think that the Swift won't suit my primary concern....am not satisfied with Getz's stint in india so far!!! may be instead I'll consider Indica Turbo as immediate other option. Well... Duo is a good option, but I wish to upgrade a bit from the present catagory of car I own now!!!! Its an Indica DLE!!! Costs of both these cars are somewhat similar...!

whiteknight, yes... you said it what am i looking for!! My bro have a 1.6ZXi ikon whose movability is the only factor I like of the whole package!! And...Oh!! NO!! I don't expect that performance from a much smaller engine than that... but atleast decent than the Indica DLE!!! Thatz it!! Anyway, I'll again have a swift drive and review my requirements!!!yeah man... sad that Accent Viva CRDi won't come home for my budget!!!
Indica Turbo is a good suggetion!! But any idea bout TATA's DICOR-ed Indica Launch??!!They are already testing it as per overdrive's article!! I'll be in soup if that happens in the near future., if I buy V2 Turbo now!! They may launch it with a face lift too!! My main concern is that... if this happens, I'll have to join the smallest community of V2 Turbo owners!! That will be heart breaking!!! what say??!!

Sandeep, guess you have a bad experience with swifts c pillar rattlings!! Any serious issue in this front??!!

Pradkumar, yes.. indica is a good car if you never ever think bout its engines and smaller wheels!!

Muni, Thanks for your suggetions... what am looking for is a LPG drivable car!! Since the fuel costs are going high evey now and then, diesel also gets expensive when you consider the whole arithmetic of regular usage of a car. This is why am looking for THE cheapest fuel to munch everyday miles!! So LPG conversion is anyway inevitable for me!!!! what say?!!

bikefreak, so you say that the swift is punchy?!! What I experienced is a similar performance of NHC!! My dad is driving an NHC and so from the hands-on experiance of NHC, guess NHC matches Swift in terms of Power delivery!! Both are as sluggish as one another!! and as punchy as one another in higher rpms!!! what say?!!

Speedofreak, why am considering ZXi is because of the following std options on it...
(1) Seat height adjuster.. I don't like maruti's low seating level...
(2) defogger and rear wiper.. am a keralite... so to get rid of muck during rains... guess these two are good!!
(3) Climate control system for the same rason as above!!
What say??!!

Thanks again guys.. for your techy answers... Pl continue with more advises...

Nikhil.
Old 29th August 2006, 11:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

Okay,

You can check out the thread on for DICOR engines for TATA cars http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...gine-cars.html

If you are keen on LPG why not look for a used Ikon 1.6. Anyway you like the car, and it has a large boot that can handle the LPG kit. Above all even with LPG it should be pretty tractable and quick.

There are not many in Kochi, so availability would be a problem though

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 29th August 2006 at 11:05.
Old 29th August 2006, 11:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nah, no real issues - it is just a minor rattle. Lots of other cars rattle tremendously more and from lots of other places too, let me tell you. I am just being extra finnicky. Having used the swift for more than 9 months now, I still admire its build quality, refinement and features of ZXI, some of which are not available in higher segment cars also, (despite what others may have experienced) and it just feels a very solid stable car, fun and easy to drive.
Old 29th August 2006, 16:20   #28
BHPian

ZXi test ridden!!

whiteknight - Thanks again for that bit of informations on TATA's dicor engined vehicles!! Guess am thinking the right way!!! Dicor-ed TATA vehicles will barge the market in less than an year!!
Reg used ikons in kochi, I''ll get plenty of them here... in all shapes and status!!! but am dead against a used car!! no good and serious answer to support that... but just can't digest that!! But incase if have a good sum.. may be I'll buy a used Merc S class!!! ha ha..

Sandeep - Thanks for that answer!! what you said is true!! The car you own is an amazing car!!

Hey guys.... I just took test drive of a pre-PDI Swift ZXi and am almost floored by its oustanding ride comfort!! Believe me guys... its far far better than its own siblings.. the VXi and LXi!!!! ugh.... I never ever expected this kinda great experience from a car of this catagory!! I've driven almost all cars upto the level of Accord.... but this one has blew me away!! The best ride I experienced out of upto 5 lakhs rs cars!!! Good ride and low NVH level!!! BUT.. guess ZXi is a bit more sluggish than the VXi !!!!
What say guys??!!!

Now as many guys commented on Wagon R Duo, I've told them to get one for a thorough test drive!!! Lemme see its performance and other stuffs.... I'll once again come back to you for a final answer!!!

THANKS A TON GUYS!!!! PL CONTINUE HELPING ME.....

Nikhil.
Old 29th August 2006, 19:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
guess ZXi is a bit more sluggish than the VXi !!!!
What say guys??!!!
Nikhil.
ZXI has lil more wieght that could be a reason. Also tyres are bit wider, so lil more grip on road means lil more inertia to begin with.
Old 29th August 2006, 21:15   #30
BHPian

very sensible Ajay!!

well...that cud be one of the reason for its sluggishness!!

Nikhil
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks