Polo GT 93 25.27%
Punto Evo Abarth 258 70.11%
Others (please specify in your post) 17 4.62%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 23:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Fiat Abarth Punto vs VW Polo GT TSI vs Others

I will reserve my vote until this Saturday.

Reason: Did a TD of the Abarth Punto and was taken aback with the sheer power and the way it was dismissing the undulations on the road and potholes even at 70-80 kmph.
Once done, did the obvious of walking into VW showroom for a GT TSi TD Wanted to take it on the same stretch of the Punto TD route for comparison.
Unfortunately they didn't have the TD car and promised to arrange one this Saturday. Hence will procrastinate my vote until then.
Old 21st October 2015, 23:02   #32
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2015 at 09:02.
Ketan T is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st October 2015, 23:09   #33

Pardon my ignorance, but I really need to know regarding this, hence asking. I have never got a chance to drive any expensive cars in the range of merc, bmw, audi, or supercars. But I have read that all those cars including Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc comes only in Auto transmission (big apologies if I am wrong here). But if what I know is true, pl enlighten me why those big names do not use a manual transmission?
Old 21st October 2015, 23:22   #34
Senior - BHPian

If Enthusiast on a budget is a criteria, then Alto K10 (pocket rocket), Ford Figo which is 1.5 lac cheaper than GT TSI are also strong contenders.

There is no standard definition of Enthusiast and Hot-hatch which creates the confusion.

If Enthusiast is on a budget, then IMHO he must take into consideration that the incremental EMI for Abarth shall be 2000 pm max while the incremental maintenance cost of GT would easily match the savings made by lower EMI. To each his own.

Last edited by carwatcher : 21st October 2015 at 23:29.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 23:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Voted For Punto, Even though i am a huge fan of VW, (Yes even after what they did)

Reasons why i voted for Punto,
1. Looks much better than Polo (VW Should have least given the SR kit to the GT Polos)
2. More power
3. Manual

These 3 points itself makes the abarth win win for me.

One question, How is the back seat of abarth compared to the polo? Well i have owned a polo so i know how poor the backseat comfort in polo is, What about the abarth?
Old 22nd October 2015, 01:06   #36
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd October 2015 at 09:05.
heydj is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:17   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binish View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but I really need to know regarding this, hence asking. I have never got a chance to drive any expensive cars in the range of merc, bmw, audi, or supercars. But I have read that all those cars including Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc comes only in Auto transmission (big apologies if I am wrong here). But if what I know is true, pl enlighten me why those big names do not use a manual transmission?

Manual transmissions are on their way out, unfortunately. While some sports car manufacturers do provide MT as an option on some of their cars, ATs have become the norm. Modern ATs shift quicker and are able to do the job better than MTs, especially while harnessing the thick-end of 500 horsepower.

For more information and discussions on this topic, please look for the relevant thread on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
If Enthusiast on a budget is a criteria, then Alto K10 (pocket rocket), Ford Figo which is 1.5 lac cheaper than GT TSI are also strong contenders.

There is no standard definition of Enthusiast and Hot-hatch which creates the confusion.

If Enthusiast is on a budget, then IMHO he must take into consideration that the incremental EMI for Abarth shall be 2000 pm max while the incremental maintenance cost of GT would easily match the savings made by lower EMI. To each his own.
Sure, maintenance may be a smidge higher than the Abarth, but daily running costs have to be taken into consideration. The TSI manages 11-12 kmpl in the city and the figure goes up to 20 on the highways.

Now, if this was a pure hot-hatch comparo, there would be no contest. The Abarth Punto would decimate the Polo GT TSI. But when you consider ALL parameters like overall comfort, convenience, practicality, fit-finish, efficiency, resale, etc. the Polo becomes a strong contender. The Polo is a compromise IMO and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It depends purely on your priorities.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Punto. When it comes to being a hot hatch the Punto scores in four critical areas i.e more engine power, better braking (all discs), steering feedback and better handling.

Extra safety kit, comfort, convenience and refinement should not be part of the consideration set per se but none of these are sports cars. These are cars which are going to be bought and driven by the aam junta expecting a bit of fun and pleasure while travelling from their point As to point Bs. From this point of view the Polo is a much more easier car to live with. The quick DSG makes sure you don't miss the stick shift and refined and peppy 1.2 TSI just about makes sure you feel you are faster than most other cars on the road.

I bought the GT TSI when the Abarth Punto was not yet launched. If I were to buy one of the two cars today, it would still be the Polo for its more rounded appeal. And this is going to be the problem for the Abarth Punto when it comes to sales figures. The loud stickering and out and out sporty characteristics and lack of AT option will miss out on buyers looking for a convenient hatch or second car at home. I know a lot of non car enthusiasts who have bought the GT TSI for its convenience, technology and safety.

But, in the context of this thread it is a no contest and it is the Punto all the way. I would like to congratulate Fiat for bring out a car like this but would also appeal to them to look at T-Jet with a good AT box and good safety kit to boost their sales numbers in India so that they come out with more cars like the Abarth Punto for the enthusiast.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd October 2015 at 09:55.
Santoshbhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 09:59   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Manual transmissions are on their way out, unfortunately. While some sports car manufacturers do provide MT as an option on some of their cars, ATs have become the norm. Modern ATs shift quicker and are able to do the job better than MTs, especially while harnessing the thick-end of 500 horsepower.

For more information and discussions on this topic, please look for the relevant thread on this forum.
Thank you and yes, I will check relevant thread. The sudden curiosity because of this Abarth Punto vs Polo GT TSI made me post it here.
May be automatic helps in keeping both hands on steering wheel which will be safe while travelling at 250 + kmph, whereas in manual, we will have to drive in only one hand while shifting the gear lever.

Last edited by Jaggu : 22nd October 2015 at 10:28. Reason: Fixing Quote. Thanks.
binish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:04   #40
BHPian

I voted for Abarth. At this price point I don't see any car which can match Punto Abarth. Polo GT TSi might be easy to drive but cannot be called as an hot hatch.
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

I voted others. I have a GT TDI and to enjoy the turbo petrol performance I have picked up a single owner 57K done, unmodified, 2007 Octavia VRS for less than 3L. This car handles good - way better than my Polo or my friend's Vento with Bilstein B14, and has a lot more power potential if i choose to go that way. So for me this makes sense. Parts are available but some are not available off the shelf so ownership experience will not be as easy as a new car.

So those who want to enjoy turbo petrols for lesser $$ and have the courage to go used car route may consider these alternatives: - Laura 1.8 TSI MT, Jetta 1.4 TSI MT, Octavia 1.8 Rider or vRS, Linea T-Jet. Petrols command low resale in the used car market, i have come across 1.8TSI in 5 - 7 lakh range during my hunt for the Octavia.

Trivia: Octavia and Laura body style both are classified as 5 door hatchbacks

Last edited by Sankar : 22nd October 2015 at 10:43.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 10:54   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Now, if this was a pure hot-hatch comparo, there would be no contest.
Well, that is what the thread was called before it was renamed and moved. Remnants of the same still remain in the poll question which reads "Which hot hatch?"

As far as the original topic of the thread is concerned, I have voted for the Abarth Punto. The car is simply too path-breaking to be out-voted on such a poll. In my opinion, this car will lead to a renewed spur in sale of used Turbo Petrol Cars when people realize the potential of such cars on a mass market level. This car might even lead to wild fluctuations in the prices that used 1.8 TSIs, TJets and VRs's command.

Coming to the poll, for this to be fairer, the options should have included the Avventura TJET, the Figo 1.5 TDCi and both the GT Twins individually. That way we would have got a fairer idea on which sub-10-second-0-100 hatchback gets the most favour among the enthusiasts, all factors (price, quality, fuel type, transmission) considered.

Last edited by antz.bin : 22nd October 2015 at 11:00.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

I agree with your post save for two words which are efficiency (if you are referring to FE) and Resale.
I was under impression like many others that its a pure hot-hatch comparo otherwise why else even GTO has not put other choices on poll like Figo which is quicker than GT TSI.
IMHO efficiency and resale are 'nice to have' "features" rather than must have.

That's what I have gathered after reading various discussions on various threads discussing hot-hatches.
Again to each his own.

Even on this poll, if we compare car on FE and resale matters, then what can one say, everyone should buy a used hot-hatch then which would be a catch-22 situation.

Quote:
Now, if this was a pure hot-hatch comparo, there would be no contest. The Abarth Punto would decimate the Polo GT TSI. But when you consider ALL parameters like overall comfort, convenience, practicality, fit-finish, efficiency, resale, etc. the Polo becomes a strong contender. The Polo is a compromise IMO and that's not necessarily a bad thing. It depends purely on your priorities.
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:13   #44
Team-BHP Support

My vote goes for the Punto; a true budget hot hatch indeed!
I would have preferred it to be with a regular Fiat badging though, and a bit soft on the sticker job.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:22   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Well, that is what the thread was called before it was renamed and moved. Remnants of the same still remain in the poll question which reads "Which hot hatch?".
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I agree with your post save for two words which are efficiency (if you are referring to FE) and Resale.
I was under impression like many others that its a pure hot-hatch comparo otherwise why else even GTO has not put other choices on poll like Figo which is quicker than GT TSI.
IMHO efficiency and resale are 'nice to have' "features" rather than must have.
I love hot-hatchbacks. The idea of having a powerful engine in a small car makes me go weak in the knees! But I need to think practically too, because the car I buy will be used for the purpose of commuting. I'm sure the Abarth Punto would work as a daily driver, but I'd rather have an AT. Also, I am a working, salaried professional and I have no option but to consider FE. You may not agree with it, but the Polo returns great FE for a turbo-AT and I'm fairly certain that the Abarth Punto will struggle to return similar figures. I mean, let's not kid ourselves. We're comparing fun budget cars, not Mini Coopers and Abarth 595 Competiziones. Owners of these may rightfully dismiss fuel-economy figures as inconsequential, but I just can't afford to do that.

By the way, the Figo DCT is no where near as quick as the GT TSI, or as the 110 horsepower figure suggests. It does shift nicely, but it lacks the torque and punch of the TSI.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks