Polo GT 93 25.27%
Punto Evo Abarth 258 70.11%
Others (please specify in your post) 17 4.62%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 01:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Abarth Punto vs VW Polo GT TSI vs Others

Mod Note: Our Abarth Punto Report has been taken live at this link. Thanks!

Dear T-BHPians, as we have witnessed polls after any significant launch, there is an inevitable poll comes up.

So, I am feeling proud in announcing this one of the favourite and popular polls.

If you were in market today, which hot-hatch would you choose ?

I am giving only three choices Polo GT Twins / Punto Evo Abarth / Others (Mini, Fiat Abarth 595 Competizione etc.)

I feel it will be a neck-to-neck race even though there is a significant difference in power figures. One looks awesome as a complete package or say Practical while other pulls heart strings with the sheer driving pleasure it offers.

Have not intentionally included 'I don't like Hot hatches / None of the above' option.

P.S. : Ciaz RS is not a hatch otherwise definitely would have been included due to the most important single common factor of being launched on the same day as Punto Abarth, other things be damned.

Last edited by GTO : 25th November 2015 at 10:57. Reason: Linking to Abarth Report
carwatcher is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 02:09   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Fiat Abarth Punto vs VW Polo GT TSI vs Others

On paper, Abarth destroys the Polo GT twins to being warm hatches rather than hot IMO, but I would wait till test drives are available. Hence no votes from me now.

On paper comparison for me-

Power- 145hp v/s 105hp. Punto.
Torque- 212Nm v/s 175Nm. Punto.
Gearbox- Manual v/s DSG. Polo.
Steering feel- Punto.
Braking- Punto.
Ride and handling- Punto.
Safety kit- ESC and Cruise Control. Polo.
Looks (subjective)- Punto Abarth in black.

I'd respect the Polo for two reasons- 1. ESC and 2. Cruise control. DSG is not a big differentiator for me, since I still have some juice left in me to fight it out with the clutch pedal for few more years. And I've been using the Punto gearbox for almost 1.1L kms now that it's only the forum that reminds me (very often) that it's a lame box.

Other than that, I would pick the Abarth. Polo TSI is a compromise of hotness for a mixture of luxury and practicality (not that it's bad) and I would feel the sting (As Abarth marketing guys put it) every time the Abarth makes me an inconsequential spec in its rear view mirror.

Anyways, the Indian market never had it better. Two extremely competent hot /warm hatchbacks for less than C segment sedan prices.

P.S. Figo TDCi and FIAT Avventura powered by Abarth deserves a special mention too!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st October 2015 at 02:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 02:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Completely forgot Avventura, thanks for quickly pointing it out, have requested the mods to add. Hopefully its done so as to give a clearer picture.
Are you sure its TDCi as 1.5Ti-VCT AT also have impressive figures and were actually considered by Overdrive.

Here's the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3828968

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Figo TDCi and FIAT Avventura powered by Abarth deserves a special mention too!
IMHO both the Figos are actually far far away from being on this list, else we would end up diluting this thread, in the same way manufacturers do.

Last edited by carwatcher : 21st October 2015 at 02:55.
Old 21st October 2015, 09:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

Shouldn't the figo 1.5 TDCi also figure in this poll. The titanium+ has 6 airbags for safety and it was the fastest to 100 until the abrath launch.
samaspire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 09:29   #5
BHPian

I voted for Abarth. I know you have mentioned about the cars on offer now, but given a chance would Hyundai Getz CRDI stand a chance?
Old 21st October 2015, 09:32   #6
BHPian

Voted for the Punto Evo Abarth. Naysayers may criticize it ALLL they want - but if I had the money to spare I would have bought myself one already! I love it!!
Old 21st October 2015, 09:39   #7
BHPian

voted for the Punto Evo Abarth. After yesterday's test drive I feel that comparing Polo Tsi with Evo Abarth is like blasphemy. The Punto Abarth thrashes the Polo Tsi be it performance or handling. It makes Polo feel slow and annoying.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 09:48   #8
BHPian

Obviously voted for Punto Abarth

I personally like the steering,suspension and handling of Punto beyond raw power.
hillsnrains is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:27   #9

I voted for Polo GT TSI.

I used to hate automatics till 2 years before.

This is my situation in Bangalore now. Reached 2 years before. And recently I shifted the job which makes an one way distance of 35 kms inside Bangalore traffic. We cannot keep on shifting the house, but yes, the job will keep in shifting. I have a diesel Verna and an alto. Even though Verna gave decent mileage, I stopped using it totally and I am travelling in Alto because of the lighter clutch.
I understood, if I go for a Punto, it will become a weekend vehicle only. And I will have to buy some other automatic hatch for daily commuting. And I chose fun on daily basis rather than only weekend drive, hence Polo GT TSI. Give me abarth with DSG, I will take it with eyes shut.

May be when I get lot of excess money, I can buy a Abarth, just for weekend drives.
binish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 11:13   #10
BHPian

Punto Abarth looks very strong on specs and I kind of find the looks of it better as well.
However will wait to see more reviews and test drive experience before voting.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

This thread was inevitable and boy does this make some real sense in today's scenario

Following is my opinion:

- I have been driving my GT (1.6 TDI) for nearly 17 months and +24k kms now. Polo 1.6 GT TDI is a Pure performer of a hatch. The 1.5 GT TDI is nowhere close in the real world, though theoretically there is not a lot of difference.

- Polo GT TSI showcases the engineering prowess/marvel the Germans possess. Its not the engine or the driver that makes this a hot hatch. Its that 'Almost Human' like thinking DSG that makes this a wonder machine.

- I have not driven the 2015 Figo 1.5 TDCI yet, but after a spin in the Aspire 1.5 TDCI, I can only imagine how this hatch will be, when it is much lighter.

- Finally, the FIAT EVO Abarth. It has been sometime but the Italians are finally back with a true hot hatch. The only difference this time though, is unlike the 1.6 GTX times, the market is ready for Hot Hatches.

Long story short, I would like to reserve my voting for now. But by just pure numbers and expert opinions, I would like to go with:

Punto EVO Abarth 1.4 hands down
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 11:58   #12
BHPian

Voted for EVO Abarth. Nothing else describe's a hot hatch in current market scenario better than this Italian for me
tabrez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 12:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

I voted for the Abarth Punto. A car in which I had a long-ish test drive in 2009 in UK, but sadly, could not buy because I moved back to India. Have been wanting to buy it ever since. Now I can.

That said, Ford missed the boat completely. The new Figo is a steering/handling dud when compared to the outgoing Figo. The old Fiesta/Classic was discontinued around the same time. Why could they not put the 1.6 petrol into the Figo as a "goodbye, last hurrah" special edition?
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 12:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have driven only the GT TSI among the cars in the poll. And boy I was impressed. I am undecided about the advantages of an Auto box may be because I have been driving a MT all these years. But the quality inside, the smoothness of gear shift etc is really top notch in the GT Tsi. Ride and handling is good although I would rate Punto ahead.

But I have lived with a Punto for 2 years now. The prospect of having the same car hurling down the road with the fury of a 145 bhp engine is too hard to resist. So even though I have not driven the Abarth Punto, from what I have heard about the engine, I believe it would be a great complement to the brilliant ride and handling of the Punto.

So if the question is purely about buying a Performance hatch, it will be Abarth Punto all the way for me. Polo is a probably a more practical choice, but then I will be missing out on a lot of fun I guess.

For me, Abarth Punto. Now wish I had the money too.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 14:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

The Polo GT tsi (I am petrolhead so I will avoid talking about diesels for this discussion) is not a hot hatch at all. It is simply a very good package with no compromise on power. Now even though the car is a whole lot slower, comes with a softly sprung suspension setup and a loose-ish feeling at the steering wheel and is an automatic (I'm a die hard manual fan), I will still vote for the Polo GT tsi for the addition of ESP, and overall, a more mature package which I have no complaints about. The Punto on the other hand, looks odd (not at all a fan of the new design) and while the engine and steering have got the oomph, the odd driving position and awful gearbox make it feel less than perfect. These constant reminders ruin the experience for me thus haven't voted for the only car on this list that is actually a hot hatch

All time favorites are: Palio S10 (no explanation needed) and Fabia 1.6 Fabia somehow always had a nicer more predictable chassis than the Polo, and had more space
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks