Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which FAST hatchback would you choose?
Maruti Suzuki Baleno RS 30 4.85%
Volkswagen Polo GT TSI 331 53.56%
Fiat Abarth Punto 225 36.41%
Ford Figo 1.5L P 32 5.18%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2018, 21:57   #121
BHPian

Numbers from Narains lap seems bit odd, I own Brio and Figo 1.5D and I can't believe Brio had a faster lap time than Figo !!!
Old 21st May 2018, 10:46   #122
BHPian

Re: Fast Hatches: Baleno RS vs Polo GT TSI vs Figo 1.5 vs Abarth Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by arit.mondal View Post
Bumping up this question, a colleague is in similar quandary. 2018 MY used TSI at 9.75 vs new one at 11.3 on road.
So the update of my life is that i eventually went for the new car. My advice for your colleague would be that he can check if that MY'18 car has all the additional features that i mentioned. If it does, then he can go for it basis the condition of the car itself. Else the new car
Old 27th May 2018, 00:46   #123
BHPian

I heard from someone I met in a garage that while Fiat quotes power delivered at engine, VWs quoted at wheels, post transmission loss. So effective power of Abarth at wheels must be at least 10% lower, making its power to weight ratio very close to that of Polo. I couldn't verify this online though, which manufacturer quotes power as per what specification...
Old 27th May 2018, 01:13   #124
BHPian

Quote:
I heard from someone I met in a garage that while Fiat quotes power delivered at engine, VWs quoted at wheels, post transmission loss. So effective power of Abarth at wheels must be at least 10% lower, making its power to weight ratio very close to that of Polo. I couldn't verify this online though, which manufacturer quotes power as per what specification...

Absolutely not true. Almost all manufacturers quote power developed by the engine at the crank.

The GT TSI from what I came to understand makes around 80~90 wheel horsepower while I haven't seen any videos of a stock abarth doing a dyno run I'm happy to report after driving both that the abarth is much much faster than the GT TSI.
Ferrariwell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 03:15   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrariwell View Post
Absolutely not true. Almost all manufacturers quote power developed by the engine at the crank.
Actually thats the way that makes sense. Why would a manufacturer understate their vehicle power when others could choose not to?
Old 28th May 2018, 01:32   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Actually thats the way that makes sense. Why would a manufacturer understate their vehicle power when others could choose not to?

I didn't completely get what you're trying to say buddy.
There could be many reasons why some manufacturers could choose to under-rate their cars such as insurance, safety, certain agreements etc but that all happens in foreign countries and on proper sports cars. Certainly not the case for the polo GT or abarth

Most manufacturers advertise the horsepower at crank as its always a larger figure than wheel horsepower I guess.

Eg if a manufacturer such as VW claims the Polo TSI makes 105 HP that figure is at the crank and yes while its engine does produce 105 HP only around 80-90hp is put down to wheels after drive train losses etc.
Hope this helps.
Ferrariwell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 11:32   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Numbers from Narains lap seems bit odd, I own Brio and Figo 1.5D and I can't believe Brio had a faster lap time than Figo !!!
Track performance is very different from straight line speed, peak torque figures and other such parameters that we tend to experience on a day to day basis. On the track it is more of a dance on the car's limit and a lightweight sure-footed car with smooth predictable power delivery like the Brio which has no qualms in sitting near the red-line all day long, will be much easier to drive at the limit and maintain control over its weight shift and balance, than a porky diesel with spikey power delivery, heavy nose and longer wheelbase affecting corner entry, and low revs.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2018, 11:04   #128
Team-BHP Support

ACI puts the Punto Abarth against the Baleno RS, in a quarter mile drag race -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 03:10   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
ACI puts the Punto Abarth against the Baleno RS, in a quarter mile drag race -
I was expecting the Abarth to be quicker. Guess the 248 kilo weight disadvantage combined with an average gearbox and long thrown clutch does not help its case.
Hard to say. From the over head shot, it appears the Abarth had a bigger gap after the quarter mile mark.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th June 2018 at 03:15.
Old 20th August 2018, 16:20   #130
Senior - BHPian

Polo GT TSI vs Abarth Punto

Am in the market for a hot hatch and was almost decided on the Polo GT TSI. However, since the usage of this car will be split 40/60 between me and my partner, she wanted to look at a few other options.

We were passing a FIAT dealership and stepped in to check the Abarth Punto:

Some comparisons which are making the decision difficult
  1. Abarth Punto looks striking compared to plain jane GT TSI
  2. GT TSI 105 Bhp vs 145 BHP Abarth Punto
  3. GT 9.33L Vs 9.7L on Abarth Punto
  4. 7 Speed Auto on GT vs 5 Speed MT on Abarth Punto
  5. Rear Drum Brakes on GT vs Rear Discs on Abarth
  6. Cheap plastic on Abarth vs Good build feel on the GT
  7. Decent service network coverage for VW vs Pathetic service coverage on Fiat
  8. 20k Discount on GT vs 0 discount on Abarth
Haven't driven the Abarth Punto yet so not able to directly compare the performance. But having lived for about 10 Yrs with Fiat Uno and Fiat Palio and faced the useless service network and part unavailability issue, a little hesitant towards FIAT.

Folks opinions welcome!
Old 20th August 2018, 22:04   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Chennai Track is quiet narrow and has lot of corners, even during track days, we can see modified R15 ridden by professionals keeping up with rookies on 600cc bikes. Have ridden there and can confidently say Brio would have easily beaten most of the bigger cars.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks