Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2019, 23:35   #46
BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
I will prefer i10 nios over all the above cars due to the smaller footprint and similar engine specs. Wait for 3-4 months and get hold of the i10 turbo model
I considered the Nios initially, but was quite disappointed after the test drive.
Don't get me wrong, it's a great car. But it doesn't feel like an upgrade or change over my current Grand i10. In fact during the test drive, it almost felt as if I was driving my own car!
As for the 1.0 Turbo variant, it would cost around 9.5L on road (1L over budget) and also, we need a new car ASAP as our Santro is starting to rust pretty badly.
Perhaps we could've considered it if I wasn't planning on leaving soon.

Anyway, moving on...

UPDATE:
After much discussion and consideration, we decided to book the Elite i20 Sportz+ (Silver). Booking amount was Rs.11,000.

The i20 was favoured due to a number of reasons-

1. Solid build, better audio system and more 'premium' feel.

2. The VIP treatment we receive from Hyundai service due to our 2 decade+ long relationship with them.
(After all, this is the 10th Hyundai car my family is purchasing from them since '98 )
They take good care of our cars, do our work on priority without appointments, answer phone calls even on weekends, allow us to pay later, etc. to name a few benefits

3. Proximity of the service center. (Just 2km away)

4. Freebies:
- 3M package (Paint protection + Anti rust) worth Rs.10,000
- 4th year warranty + RSA worth Rs.4,500
- Matting + Mud flaps worth Rs.2,500
- Seat covers worth Rs.8,000
- Increased the evaluation of the Santro from Rs.55,000 to Rs.60,000

5. Car is ready in stock, will be delivered 2-3 days after payment

6. Final price

Price breakup is as follows-
Ex showroom.......Rs.7,14,693
Insurance............Rs.25,000
Registration.........Rs.78,616
Hyp, smart card...Rs.1,500
Fastag.................Rs.600
On road price.......Rs.8,20,409

Cash discount.....-Rs.40,000
Exchange bonus..-Rs.20,000
After discount.......Rs.7,60,409

But wait, there's more!

This just happened-
https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...er-31-6061837/

50% off on road tax till 31st December in Goa!
Any car you wish to buy, no strings attached!

RTO discount...-Rs.39,308
Final price.......Rs.7,21,101

Santro........................-Rs.60,000
Effective price..........Rs.6,61,101

What a steal right?
v/s Glanza final price- Rs.7,50,375 (including 4th year warranty + RSA, subtracting money back for the Santro)
That's a whopping Rs.90,000 difference!
And I haven't even taken into account the additional cost of accessories for the Glanza (seat covers, etc.)

As an added bonus, the SA's at Hyundai have agreed to install a few parts from the Asta (O) at a marginal cost, to improve the 'feel good' factor on my Sportz+
- Boot lamp
- IC light adjustment switch (to control internal illumination)
- Leather wrapped chrome Gear knob
- Rear wiper (have to get back to me with the cost)

Features I'll be missing out on
- Auto AC with climate control
- Smart key + Push button start
- Projector headlamp with cornering lamp (no biggie)
- Supervision cluster (again, no biggie)

Accessories I plan on getting
- Chrome door handles
- Waistline moulding
- Auto dimming IRVM
- LED reflectors (like this: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...L6T8XJDB&psc=1)
- A nice steering wheel cover (suggestions welcome )

Car is expected to arrive early next week, will keep you guys updated with pics once it does

Thanks for all the help and advice guys!
ashwinp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 23:58   #47
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the booking. Wish you a wonderful ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinp View Post
As an added bonus, the SA's at Hyundai have agreed to install a few parts from the Asta (O) at a marginal cost, to improve the 'feel good' factor on my Sportz+
***- Rear wiper (have to get back to me with the cost)
This is news. I haven't heard of this feature being available as an accessory. It's actually a very important safety feature which I don't know why manufacturers these days save for usually top models, specially Hyundai

I was under impression rear wash-wipe usually comes only factory fitted

Last edited by SoumenD : 11th October 2019 at 00:08.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 00:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Congratulations on the booking. Wish you a wonderful ownership

This is news. I haven't heard of this feature being available as an accessory. It's actually a very important safety feature which I don't know why manufacturers these days save for usually top models specially Hyundai

True, this is great from Hyundai. Even when we purchased i20cvt magna, they installed many items from Asta variant. I was not present during delivery , but I will check with them if rear wipers can be fitted on i-20

I was searching boodmo website for the parts required to install rear wiper for my Honda Jazz. Honda dealership told me not possible, it looks like a difficult task I might take a plunge and install by myself. If I purchase all the components for the rear wiper including motor the budget crosses 8k , I wonder how much Hyundai quoted for the same

Last edited by rahulskumar : 11th October 2019 at 00:11.
Old 11th October 2019, 11:42   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
This is news. I haven't heard of this feature being available as an accessory. It's actually a very important safety feature which I don't know why manufacturers these days save for usually top models, specially Hyundai

No, the rear wash-wipe does not come as an accessory. The required parts have to be ordered and assembled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
I was not present during delivery , but I will check with them if rear wipers can be fitted on i-20
If I purchase all the components for the rear wiper including motor the budget crosses 8k , I wonder how much Hyundai quoted for the same
I was told that most probably it should be possible and that they would check on the required parts and their cost and get back to me today.

AFAIK from my search on Boodmo, the main parts required are:
- Rear windshield
- Wiper arm + motor
- High mounted stop lamp (comes with the washer nozzle)
- Hose connecting to front water reservoir
- Washer pump for rear wiper
- Wiper switch

Cost works out to approx 10-12k. Waiting for Hyundai's quote.
Since I've got so many unexpected discounts on the car, I think it's worth spending another 12k on such an important accessory. Especially since I live in a place where it rains for 1/3rd of the year
Old 12th October 2019, 15:19   #50
BHPian

UPDATE:

Sorry guys, looks like rear wiper installation is not advisable.
Just spoke to an SA and he said that it'll require a BCM upgrade which itself will cost approx 25k.
But on the plus side, the upgraded BCM will also allow support for OEM projector headlamps with cornering support, auto headlamps, etc.

Anyone with any experience in this department, please feel free to shed some light on the technicalities/risks involved.
Old 26th October 2019, 13:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

look, if you are planning to upgrade this stuff, cough up the money and get the asta. 25k + the cost of the projector headlamps + you get some fancy stuff like true keyless entry and the diamond alloys, and most importantly, the side and curtain airbags - if you are willing to stretch, getting the higher variant makes most sense - as your upgrades will be covered by insurance, and you will get at least some of it back in resale (unlike the mods)

The i20 is a decent choice - I would not touch any maruti with a 10 foot pole. I've driven the elite i20 petrol, and while its lack of poke is a bit annoying, its not frustrating like, say, an alto 800. It's just that it accelerates a bit leisurely, but is pretty stable, and has a big car feel. If you stick to the city, you will not notice it much!
greenhorn is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 15:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
look, if you are planning to upgrade this stuff, cough up the money and get the asta. 25k + the cost of the projector headlamps + you get some fancy stuff like true keyless entry and the diamond alloys, and most importantly, the side and curtain airbags - if you are willing to stretch, getting the higher variant makes most sense - as your upgrades will be covered by insurance, and you will get at least some of it back in resale (unlike the mods)

The i20 is a decent choice - I would not touch any maruti with a 10 foot pole. I've driven the elite i20 petrol, and while its lack of poke is a bit annoying, its not frustrating like, say, an alto 800. It's just that it accelerates a bit leisurely, but is pretty stable, and has a big car feel. If you stick to the city, you will not notice it much!
+1 to this, this will be hassle free and you won’t face minor issues we usually face after retrofitting.
Congratulations on the booking, at that price it’s a steal. My petrol i20 Magna+ costed 5.5L in 2012 so I would say this price is brilliant.

I have done my fair share of long drives on the i20 and it should not bother you on highway once you understand it’s nerves. Good luck and enjoy the purchase!!
turbowhistle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2019, 20:14   #53
BHPian

I recommend you to go for Baleno RS which is having attractive offers. Having a rebaged maruti car to Toyota is kinda shameful in my opinion.
Old 27th October 2019, 12:07   #54
BHPian

Took delivery yesterday

Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?-img_20191026_121634.jpg

Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?-img_2019102.jpg

Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?-img_20191026_170038.jpg

The 15" Gun-metal finish alloys actually look better than the 16" Diamond cut alloys on the Asta (O) IMO. The pre-facelift alloys were much better.
ashwinp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 16:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Yes, you're absolutely right. I was considering the Asta (O), but honestly the extra features didn't justify the additional cost of ~1.1L at least for my usage. 6 airbags is not really necessary as the car will mostly be used in the city itself.
Secondly, though the Sportz+ gets 15" alloys, I liked them much more than the 16" Diamond cut ones that come on the Asta (O).

My reasoning behind attempting such mods is that if I could get a few features from the Asta (O) within say 20k, fitted directly from the dealership, why not do it?
I'd anyway save more than 80k over the Asta (O).

Now that I know it's not as easy as I thought (requires BCM change, etc.), I've decided not to get it done. It's not worth the cost either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Congratulations on the booking, at that price it’s a steal. My petrol i20 Magna+ costed 5.5L in 2012 so I would say this price is brilliant.

I have done my fair share of long drives on the i20 and it should not bother you on highway once you understand it’s nerves. Good luck and enjoy the purchase!!
Thanks!
Yes, it's definitely a steal at this price. I did notice a slight lack of power as compared to the Grand i10, but it's not a huge difference.
Although more power would've been preferred, it's more than adequate for city driving and I'm happy with it overall.

Last edited by ashwinp : 27th October 2019 at 17:02.
Old 15th November 2019, 12:46   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
If you are considering Glanza why not get the Baleno RS. It has 1.5 lacs discount and would land it your budget. You will get best power without any compromise in FE.
Hyundai i20 Petrol is underpowered for sure. Get the diesel if i20 is your choice.
To give you a straight answer I actually chose the Glanza because it is much more comfy than the I 20 - but this car is for my folks and not for me. We preferred the Glanza over the Baleno because of the longer warranty period plus it was a new launch which met my folks requirements perfectly.

All of the comments on Hyundai's I 20 petrol Manual or even AT being underpowered are right.
This lack of juice does become very evident while overtaking and on ghat roads. However it is a good city commuter.
Saying this, for the standard city commute of today we are more than ever in need of an AT.
And sadly none of the Korean and Japanese hatchbacks out there provide the absolutely perfect combination of AT, Safety, Power and Torque. There is always some level of something or other missing.
Unless the car itself is too low slung for you, you may want to seriously consider the Polo GT AT Top Spec which will come to you at more or less the same price as the I 20, but which is a far better performer, has a lovely gearbox and truth be told, looks just so very good!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th November 2019 at 12:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks