Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2019, 13:14   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?

Hey guys, so here's my situation-
I'm looking for a new hatchback to replace an old 2007 Santro Xing. I currently drive a 2013 Grand i10 Asta (O) 1.2 petrol, which will now replace the Santro.
The new car I purchase, will in turn replace the Grand i10 in my garage.
My budget is 8.5L OTR max.

After much research, I've finally narrowed down my choice to the following two cars - Hyundai Elite i20 Sportz+ and the Toyota Glanza G.
The reason for narrowing the choice down to these two is mainly due to my good experience with after sales service of both these brands as compared to other dealers in my city.

What my current Grand i10 has over the i20 Sportz+
- Smart key + push button start
- Rear wiper + washer

What i20 Sportz+ has over Glanza G
- Better interior quality
- Overall better build quality
- Better NVH levels in cabin
- Better touchscreen unit
- Noticably better audio quality
- Rear AC vents
- Glovebox cooling
- USB fast charge port
- Convenient servicing (just 2km away from my place)
- Illuminated switches and steering controls (nice touch)
- Sliding armrest

What Glanza G has over i20 Sportz+
- More spacious cabin
- Projector headlamps
- 16" diamond cut alloys (i20 has 15")
- Rear wiper + washer
- Auto dimming rear view mirror
- Footwell + glovebox lamp
- Rear headrests
- Supervision cluster
- Smart key + push button start
- Climate control
- 60:40 rear seat split
- BS6 engine
- Hybrid system with torque assist
- Slightly more peppy engine due to the ~150kg weight difference
- 5 kmpl higher mileage

Glanza variants are heavily discounted as part of the intro offer. Equivalent variant of Baleno (Zeta Dualjet) costs around 70k less.
The 2019 i20 Sportz+ is the same as the 2018 Asta.
From the deals I'm getting at both places, final price of Glanza G works out to around 42k more than the i20 Sportz+

The car will mainly be used in the city, with maybe a short highway trip once in while (at most once a month).

Questions:
1. Besides lower emissions, are there any other advantages of a BS6 petrol engine?
2. Will buying a BS4 engine today make any difference in resale value say in 10 years as compared to BS6?
3. Does the Torque assist feature of the mild hybrid system in the Glanza show any noticeable increase in performance? (HP increased from 83 to 89)
4. Is the Glanza G worth the extra money over the i20 Sportz+?
5. Given this situation, which one would you pick if you were in my place?
ashwinp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 14:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?

I would go for the I20....For sake of safety alone.

The Glanza is based on the Baleno and I wont go anywhere close to the Baleno after seeing the residue of the car post accidents.
2000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 14:56   #3
AYP
Senior - BHPian

I would not touch the i20 with that 1.2 Kappa. While it feels 'adequate' in the Grand i10, it feels sluggish in the i20. And since you already drive the Grand i10, the i20 would actually be a downgrade for you in terms of engine performance. The 1.4 diesel though is a great engine.

I would suggest the Glanza due to its peppier engine. The plethora of extra features you'd get in the Glanza would be an added bonus.

As far as your questions are concerned-

1. Don't really see an outright benefit other than potential higher resale. But then, the current engines on sale are BS-6 ready and not BS-6 compliant, so I doubt if there would be any real advantage in terms of resale. In this specific case, the DualJet isn't only BS-6 read but also has a few extra horses compared to the K12.

2. A BS-6 compliant vehicle should definitely have a higher resale. Not too sure about BS-6 ready. The difference in resale, if it will exist, will only be a marginal one IMO.

4. I would say- yes.

5. Glanza.

P.S.- Have you heard of this news-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...rs-1-lakh.html (Baleno RS ex-showroom price slashed by Rs 1 lakh!)

A bit over your budget but worth checking out.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 15:09   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I would not touch the i20 with that 1.2 Kappa. While it feels 'adequate' in the Grand i10, it feels sluggish in the i20.
=======
A bit over your budget but worth checking out.
Yeah, I read about the heavy discounts being offered on the Baleno RS.
It is indeed a very tempting offer, but I decided to rule it out since the car is being discontinued worldwide.
Availability of parts and spares in the long run is questionable especially considering the fact that the engine is imported and not used in any other car in India.
I plan on keeping this car for at least 8-10 years.

What do you think?
ashwinp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 15:39   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai i20 vs Toyota Glanza - Which one would you go for?

My personal choice would be the Elite i20 which I still hold as the quality benchmark among B2 hatchbacks. It's a fantastic all-rounder & I appreciate Hyundai's attention to detail, finesse & part quality. The Baleno / Glanza are good hatchbacks too, but the i20 is a cut above IMHO.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 15:46   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My personal choice would be the Elite i20 which I still hold as the quality benchmark among B2 hatchbacks. It's a fantastic all-rounder & I appreciate Hyundai's attention to detail, finesse & part quality. The Baleno / Glanza are good hatchbacks too, but the i20 is a cut above IMHO.
Have been told and read (in here as well as other forums) that Hyundai cars become expensive to maintain after 3 -4 years. The justification given was that it has a lot of electronics and may need repair/replacement which are costly. May be someone who has owned one for a period of 7 years will be able to comment or give a transparent review.

Moreover, the petrol engines of Hyundai are not as good as that of Suzuki's. Fit and finish, no doubt it is as good as the Germans. The new Nios has interiors which can shame a 15 Lakh worth Ciaz.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 16:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed. But you'd pick the i20 over the Glanza even with all the equipment the former is missing in the Sportz+ variant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Have been told and read (in here as well as other forums) that Hyundai cars become expensive to maintain after 3 -4 years. The justification given was that it has a lot of electronics and may need repair/replacement which are costly. May be someone who has owned one for a period of 7 years will be able to comment or give a transparent review.
I don't think so.
In the 6 years that I've owned my current Grand i10, I've never experienced any major failures nor have had to perform any expensive repairs.
Other than routine servicing, the only parts I've ever had to replace are-
1. Battery
2. Right ORVM (motor just stopped working so it wouldn't fold) Cost: 5.5k
3. ABS sensors (two of them)
Old 30th September 2019, 16:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Have been using the elite i20 crdi for close to 3 years/ 40k kms now. Apart from periodic maintenance have not spent a single rupee on anything else. Have been on countless 500 km plus drives and not even once have had any sort of issue.

A colleague of mine has been using the petrol elite i20 for almost 5 years now and other than a battery change after 4 years and a set of tyres, he is extremely happy with the car having done around 70k kms. Though the performance of the 1.2 petrol is nothing to talk about when it comes to its competitors.

Hope this helps.
aditya.86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 16:34   #9
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinp View Post
It is indeed a very tempting offer, but I decided to rule it out since the car is being discontinued worldwide.
Availability of parts and spares in the long run is questionable especially considering the fact that the engine is imported and not used in any other car in India.

What do you think?
If this would have been any other brand, I would have totally understood and perhaps even agreed with your view point. But Maruti being Maruti, I feel that an exception can be made in this case as continued support by Maruti is pretty much guaranteed. While I haven't driven this car, from what I can infer from the reviews, it is indeed a very good engine and at only about 50k more than the regular Baleno/Glanza mid-variant, there is very little to complain about.

The only issue in my opinion would be slightly more expensive parts plus a longer lead time. Still worth it IMO.

P.S. Just saw this post from our very own Maruti Suzuki expert, Bhpian Leoshashi-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4667139 (Baleno RS ex-showroom price slashed by Rs 1 lakh!)

Last edited by AYP : 30th September 2019 at 17:00.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 16:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
The only issue in my opinion would be slightly more expensive parts plus a longer lead time. Still worth it IMO.
Similar thoughts been shared on the Baleno RS thread with apt justifications. There is always an exception to norms when we speak of Maruti in India.
RS makes more sense now and it looks better than the normal Baleno as well. Not as good as the Elite but is spacious enough, fun to drive, safe (4 disc brakes) and has best after sales support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
Have been using the elite i20 crdi for close to 3 years/ 40k kms now. Apart from periodic maintenance have not spent a single rupee on anything else. Have been on countless 500 km plus drives and not even once have had any sort of issue.
That is good. I had posted a similar question in the forum but could not get a reply. If the service costs and upkeep is as good as MS then there is no reason why Elite i20 can also be considered instead of Baleno/Glanza.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 17:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:

P.S.- Just saw this post from our Maruti expert Bhpian Leoshashi
Checked out Leoshashi's post.
If the decision was entirely upto me, I'd have considered going for the RS.
However, I might leave the country in a year or two for further studies, after which the car will only be used by my parents.

My dad wouldn't fancy ordering SGP parts from abroad if MGP parts are ever discontinued in India, nor would he be okay with waiting one week for MGP spares.
The high cost of maintenance is another thing that would put him off.

If I were to stay here and look after the car myself, it wouldn't be an issue.
IMO a few hassles here and there would still be worth it for being able to buy a brand new RS at this price.
But my dad, who only looks at cars from a utilitarian perspective, wouldn't appreciate the benefits of owning and RS and would prefer to buy a car with a hassle free ownership experience.

So I guess the only two contenders remaining are the i20 Sportz+ and the Glanza G :(
ashwinp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 20:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinp View Post
But my dad, who only looks at cars from a utilitarian perspective, wouldn't appreciate the benefits of owning and RS and would prefer to buy a car with a hassle free ownership experience.

So I guess the only two contenders remaining are the i20 Sportz+ and the Glanza G :(
If it is majorly for your parents then why not consider the Etios Liva Dual Tone? It looks quite good and have ample of space. No need to mention the fuss free ownership of a Toyota.

When you get back (if you do) then you can sell the Liva at 60% of its list price as well to go for a Hot Hatch then
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2019, 21:10   #13
BHPian

Quote:
When you get back (if you do) then you can sell the Liva at 60% of its list price as well to go for a Hot Hatch then
Haha, not a bad idea :P

Quote:
If it is majorly for your parents then why not consider the Etios Liva Dual Tone? It looks quite good and have ample of space. No need to mention the fuss free ownership of a Toyota.
But neither I nor my dad are fans of the Liva. IMO, the car feels sort of flimsy, NVH levels aren't great, it has barely had any upgrades since its launch, lacks a lot of features that other cars provide and to top it off, costs just around ~10k less than what we're getting the i20 Sportz+ for. After a lot of research and discussion, we've narrowed the choice down to these two.

As for ownership, we have a good relationship with both- the Hyundai and Toyota dealership due to the cars we've previously owned. In this case, the ownership of the Glanza and the i20 should be fuss free
Old 1st October 2019, 00:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

DON'T BUY A PETROL HYUNDAI unless it is an automatic like the one in the Verna, where you simply cruise around completely relaxed. If it is a manual, that lethargic motor will definitely leave you disappointed. They don't enjoy being revved at all. In-fact even a new petrol Hyundai (atleast the ones we get here in India) feels almost like a 10 year old petrol engine from another car that is choked with carbon deposits, running low on oil, overheating, with out of shape valve shims, a bad sparkplug and a clogged airfilter. In my honest opinion, a Hyundai petrol feels so averse to being revved that it verges on unhealthy engine performance. The only way I can bring myself to recommend a petrol Hyundai to anyone, is if it comes with a nice smooth torque converter that you just leave in D and forget about.

Go for the discounted RS Baleno. Parts are mandated to be sold for 14 years after the car is discontinued, by government law. Maruti is not going anywhere and you can bet they wont let you down even if it means they have to import the parts for it
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 01:38   #15
BHPian

If you are considering Glanza why not get the Baleno RS. It has 1.5 lacs discount and would land it your budget. You will get best power without any compromise in FE.
Hyundai i20 Petrol is underpowered for sure. Get the diesel if i20 is your choice.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks