Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2021, 17:42   #91
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnanArun View Post

Which car holds good VFM ,reliability and easy maintenance for a beginner given the price hike scenario as well.
Though price point is important to me, I really want to settle for a car that will live with me for at least 5-6 years and should offer a decent resale value as well.
The WagonR does look like a better car as per your requirements. Especially if it is the 1.2 engine we are taking about.

Getting the accessories installed from the dealer will not void your warranty. Just make sure to keep a record/invoice of all rhe work done.

With that being said, I'd rather go with i10 Nios Era in place of either these cars. Yes, it is basic, but not too different when compared to the WagonR VXI or the Tiago XE. You can get a lot of accessories like body coloured door handles, central locking, remote lock and unlock from the dealership itself. Heck, there are even original Hyundai steering mounted controls available in the aftermarket for it.

The i10 Nios is a segment above and when you sit inside it, it does feel like it as well. Accessories can always be added later but the basics of a car can't be changed. Also, the bigger i10 Nios, preferably in a shade of red, shall look striking as compared to a more commuter looking WagonR or a smallish Tiago. It shall attract more appreciation from the people in your marriage as well (if that matters).

You can also check out the Ignis Delta(will not advise the Sigma variant due to that horrible looking instrument cluster) which has a better engine than the i10 and has an added ground clearance advantage. Though it will nudge your budget by 50k.

My suggestion would be the Ignis Delta followed by the i10 Nios Era.

Last edited by AYP : 5th September 2021 at 17:47.
Old 5th September 2021, 17:57   #92

I did check out i10 Nios Magna variant - I was really attracted by the interiors and it ticked all the features as well but it was quite a stretch for me budget-wise. I will try and get a quote for i10 Nios Era with Basic Bluetooth and Remote locking for whether it fits my budget.
In the case of Ignis, only Sigma falls in my budget while Delta is far high. With the impending price hike of MS vehicles, I guess the price will get much higher.
Also due to the shortage of semiconductor chips, the delivery times quoted are around 7 weeks by which I guess the insurance hike will come into play.

Also, the WagonR booking I did was with 1.0L engine VXi(O)

Last edited by bblost : 5th September 2021 at 19:30. Reason: back to back.
Old 5th September 2021, 20:52   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnanArun View Post
I did check out i10 Nios Magna variant - I was really attracted by the interiors and it ticked all the features as well but it was quite a stretch for me budget-wise. I will try and get a quote for i10 Nios Era with Basic Bluetooth and Remote locking for whether it fits my budget.
In the case of Ignis, only Sigma falls in my budget while Delta is far high. With the impending price hike of MS vehicles, I guess the price will get much higher.
Also due to the shortage of semiconductor chips, the delivery times quoted are around 7 weeks by which I guess the insurance hike will come into play.

Also, the WagonR booking I did was with 1.0L engine VXi(O)
Based on my reading, the budget appears to be non negotiable in your case. Sincere recommendation in this case would be to check out 2-3 year old Honda Brio’s, you’ll get much more value for money and it’s a very safe choice as nothing much can go wrong, look for models run 30-35k kms so wear and tear replacements are not on the horizon. It’s as easy to drive as a Tiago/Wagon R, while being much safer than the latter. Ideally, pick one for ~4L and save your money for the next car 5-6 years down the line. Cheers.
Old 17th October 2021, 21:54   #94

What car for 5-6 Lakhs?

Hi all. I'm fairly new to Team-Bhp but I've been an avid reader for a long time. We own a humble Alto-k10 (2011 model) which has served us absolutely trouble-free for around 10 yrs now and it has clocked just over 45K on the odometer.

While the car is still trouble free and in top notch condition, I have encouraged my parents to buy a new car due to the lack of any kind of safety features in our K10. They have agreed to it and set the budget for a stiff 5-6 Lakhs. We are planning to make the purchase next month and have it delivered before December.

Here are the Pre-requisites:
1) It must be a petrol only.
2) It must be trouble free to own. This car will mainly be used and maintained by my parents and it can't have too many unscheduled visits to the service center.
3) Both my dad and I are serene drivers. I might be a little more spirited at times but nothing more than a 100 Km/h even then. So the driving style is usually calm.
4) Manual is good enough for us.

These are my choices.
Maruti Suzuki Baleno (Sigma Variant)
Positives:
1) Spacious cabin.
2) Excellent K-12 engine offers good performance and refinement.
3) Great after sales support.
Negatives:
1) I know it's not the most solid built car out there but it fits in our budget and it has basic safety features compared to our K10 which makes it a decent upgrade for us.
2)My only issue is the sigma variant doesn't have the touch-infotainment system but I would really like it. Can we add them as an accessory in the maruti dealership?
Tata Altroz
Positives:
1) Once again, a spacious Cabin.
2) Good built and an amazing 5 star in the GNCAP.
3) Impressive high way stability.
Negatives:
1) I read that the petrol engine is rather weak. Though the car will be mostly used in cities, there will be occasional highway drives so how well does it fare in such cases?

Also, we do plan on exchanging our current car so how much do you think our 2011 Alto K10 with 45K on its odo will fetch? This amount can be added to our budget of 6 lakhs.
Old 5th March 2022, 22:57   #95

Hatchback for city use - Ignis Vs Tiago

My cousin is looking for a new car. Her current car is an Alto which she has driven for 12 years.

New car will be for 100% city use. Mainly used for short hops about twice a day. Yearly usage will be about 5000 Km annually.

She has taken a test drive on both Tiago and Ignis. She felt that Ignis was easier to drive but was comfortable with Tiago also. She is comfortable with manual transmission and did not like AMT.

The base variants of both i.e. Tiago XE and Ignis Sigma are costing about the same, and she will choose one of them. She is not interested in the features in the higher variants.

Tiago has no offers at the moment though we can bargain on insurance and accessories. Ignis has some 20,000 cash back offer this month and also has a 10,000 exchange bonus.

Which would be a better car for her given her usage. Hassle free service would also be a factor. She will keep the car for 10+ years

She is leaning towards the Ignis but one niggle is the looks of the front bumper grille of the current model, though it is not a deal breaker. Is it possible to replace it with the front bumper grille of the older model?
fifthgear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 11:03   #96
BHPian

Re: Hatchback for city use - Ignis Vs Tiago

Hi fifthgear,

A counter thought process, if your cousin is willing to stay with the MS stable, please consider the Celerio. If the city is namma Bengaluru, then I will recommend the Celerio even more.

Though I drive my Dzire everywhere, for tackling Jayanagar and wilson garden traffic, or for a quick darshan of Tirumalagiri, I still default to my dads BS4 WagonR. So Celerio, with similar dimensions and a somewhat OK AMT can give your cousin a stress free driving here.

MOD NOTE - Dear BHPian, please go through forum etiquettes for better post formation / punctuation space management.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 6th March 2022 at 17:17. Reason: Mod note attached.
doomketu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 11:18   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Mostly city usage? Finds it easier to drive? Wants to keep it for 10+ years?

IGNIS !!!!!!

Agree with the new front styling. They changed a JDM like cute car into an echuvee wannabe. Well, that's what the market wants. Yes, you can change the front easily. I would too, but I guess after a month or two of usage, won't bother with it. We are sitting inside most of the time, right?
DicKy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 15:39   #98
BHPian

Ignis would be a better fit. It has better ground clearance compared to Tiago. The 4 cylinder engine is far better than the 3 cylindered Tiago. My suggestion would be Ignis delta, instead of the sigma with barebone interiors. The new front styling would definitely grow on her. We have an Ignis. You can take it wherever a rickshaw can go. It is a practical, no nonsense city car.
Joelinf is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 17:16   #99
KPR
BANNED

Having driven an Alto I'm sure she will miss that squeeze into a gap in traffic, easy parking feel with Ignis. Those are possible with new Alto, S Presso, Celerio, Tiago or RediGo. Ignis and Wagon R are wider. Even to decide upon Ignis let her TD celerio, new Alto as well for the sake of it.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2022, 19:28   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomketu View Post
So Celerio, with similar dimensions and a somewhat OK AMT can give your cousin a stress free driving here.
She took a test drive of the Celerio AMT. I tried it too. The hill brake function works well and the AMT works far better. However it does feel a bit sluggish because of the smaller engine and the limitations of AMT. Most of her driving will be in off peak hours and not in bumper to bumper traffic so I think the preference will be Ignis, based on usage pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Even to decide upon Ignis let her TD celerio, new Alto as well for the sake of it.
I asked the sales person about the new Alto and he did not seem to know about it and said that it will be nothing more than a facelift. I believe that Alto is due for a refresh since it is more than 20 years old, but there is no clear view on when it will be launched. Since she wants to buy the new car this month it is out of the running. However it should be launched sometime this year: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/next-g...i-alto-spotted
Old 6th March 2022, 19:47   #101
Senior - BHPian

Tiago is a good overall package but in city driving the Ignis is better suited with its :
- easier ingress/egress
- visibility
- the K12B is a gem to drive in city.

So the Ignis is my pick in your situation.
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 19:38   #102
Senior - BHPian

My Indica is growing old and rusty, and I feel its about time I made it a backup car, so am looking for a replacement

Ideally would like to keep price withing 6-7, but bigger priority is lowering cost of ownership.

Currently the shortlisted cars are
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 885
Size:  33.8 KB
Last Line says i20 nLine IMT below the watermark with an OTR of around 11L
Cars Rejected
Tiago - Not enough legroom for Me
Brio - Costly and long lead time for spares, underpowered
Jazz - Drives Like a Bus. Local examples are overpriced
Any Ford - Not many available locally, examples are overpriced, Wife not a fan of discontinued cars
Any Maruti - Not Safe enough (except brezza - Which is overbudget)
Any Toyota - Anything affordable is a maruti
Indicas/Indigos - Wife has vetoed. We have too many already. Not even the nice low miles 2015 models which are going dirt cheap

Cars in the Desirable list, but no availability/ Over budget (6l for used)
i10 Grande AT
i20AT
i20 elite AT/ CRDI
Etios Live TRD
Figo S
Honda City 4th Gen CVT

I am not keen to buy ANOTHER Tata after 15 years of suffering, but wife has a valid point- Safety of my family is important. Thoughts?

Last edited by greenhorn : 7th March 2022 at 19:39.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2022, 20:24   #103
BHPian

If safety is a priority. I think you can eliminate grand i10. Out of these I think city and etios scores the most in GNCAP ratings
Old 8th March 2022, 08:56   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I am not keen to buy ANOTHER Tata after 15 years of suffering, but wife has a valid point- Safety of my family is important.
Pricing of 6-7 lakhs and safety(assuming GNCAP 4+ stars) limit your options in new cars.

Coming to your desirable but over budget list would like to add some :
- XUV 300 : excellent car, change of experience to Mahindra should be good.
- Wait for the updated Brezza
- Nexon : the 1.2 TC should perform better than the 1.2 NA on the Punch and Altroz.

Outside of these the 4th Gen City is good but didn't your wife say that the N-Line was too big for the requirements ?
If that's the case, with the earlier requirements, then your options aren't that many
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2022, 09:21   #105
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthgear View Post
I asked the sales person about the new Alto and he did not seem to know about it and said that it will be nothing more than a facelift. I believe that Alto is due for a refresh since it is more than 20 years old, but there is no clear view on when it will be launched. Since she wants to buy the new car this month it is out of the running. However it should be launched sometime this year: https://www.team-bhp.com/news/next-g...i-alto-spotted
I meant the Alto that is currently on sale in BS6. It has Alto K10's interior, Dual Airbags+ABS as standard. It also comes with touchscreen system with voice command in VXi+ trim. I will also recommend Redi Go AMT for being small, tall boy design and good space inside. Perfect recipe for city and local run about.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks