Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 14:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?

One of my cousins wants to replace his Wagon R with a new car. He was going to buy a new Ignis petrol and I came into the picture. I asked him to have a look at the second-hand market. He followed my advice and checked some of the second-hand cars like Baleno, Tiago etc. This made him a bit confused.

Finally, after many heated discussions with each other, we decided to take this question of "Which car" to Team-BHP.

This car will be used by him only with a 50 to 80km running on daily bases. He is going to use this car for his field job purpose which includes mix drive of city roads and highway. He wants to go for a petrol car which can be converted to CNG after one or two years.
Budget is 06 to 07 lacs and it's not stretchable.

IMO, If he wants to go for a new car Ignis Delta is perfect as per his requirements. Looking forward to BHPians's input.
SJM1214 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 14:29   #2
KPR
BANNED

re: Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?

Ignis is a good choice. It has a 1.2L petrol 4 pot cylinder. A mature suspension unlike of MS. If you're looking forward for build quality ignore this car although it comes with ABS dual Air bags as standard. We have a delta AMT ignis at home and it's a fun city car for sure. The design simply grows on one. The best part it is highly mod friendly.

Last edited by KPR : 6th July 2020 at 14:30.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 14:51   #3
BHPian

What about a MS Swift? It has the tried and tested K12 engine and is a fun car to drive. Not to mention the great fuel economy for both the auto and manual versions.
kushagra452 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 14:53   #4
BHPian

Given the requirement and the chalked out budget, it does make a case for Ignis, nothing like a new car if you are in the market for one and can clear buy one.
If used cars are being considered :
1. Segment above - getting into sub 4 meter SUVs or sedans would have gotten some pretty rides with the amount.
2. Same segment - if you're looking for hatchback or the 4m premium hatchback, it's pretty much the same what you have with Ignis.

So the point really is, are you looking to decrease the amount being spent?
Yes, go ahead and look for them, you might get some pretty deals on cars with low odo reading just because they are BS4.
If No, then just proceed with Ignis, a new car is a new car.

I see that you are considering Tiago and Baleno in that space, one of those is among the cheapest 1.2 hatchbacks and the other is premium 1.2 hatchback.
If you could breakdown a bit more on your requirement, that'd be pretty helpful, right now I could only just get that whether to go for new or used car?
Are you looking for suggestions in used cars?
petrolHead_1609 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 15:14   #5
BHPian

At 7 lac budget Altroz XM is the most value for money offering as if offers good amount of space,comfort, fuel efficiency and not to forget the 5 star safety rating.
The other good cars under 7 lac is the Nios Sportz and the Freestyle Trend(after some discounts).
Sahilrai166 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 15:20   #6
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2020 at 18:19.
momsonlydriver is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th July 2020, 16:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
One of my cousins wants to replace his Wagon R with a new car. He was going to buy a new Ignis petrol and I came into the picture.
Assuming your brother also lives in Anand, here are some great deals I found on a few cars:-

1. 2018 Maruti Swift - https://www.olx.in/item/maruti-suzuk...iid-1577101041

2. 2017 Hyundai i20 Active - https://www.cardekho.com/used-car-de...922A613D53.htm

3. Tata Tigor - https://www.carwale.com/used/cars-fo...=-1&so=-1&pn=1

There are lots of other options available too from used car dealers (TrueValue & Locals). The cars that I've suggested are pretty low mileage and a bit on the pricier side. However, due to depreciation in the first 3 years, you could reduce the price significantly to around 5.5 - 6.5 Lakh on each of those cars.

Speaking of new cars, his best bets would be the Swift, Grand i10 Nios, Tiago or the Ignis in their top-spec forms. However, the Altroz XT makes a sensible buy too.
akash_v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 18:08   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Everyone knows how I love pre-owned cars. However, there are cases when I recommend brand new cars. Conditions:

1. Owner is looking for a completely fuss-free ownership experience.

OR

2. The budget is under 8 - 10 lakhs.

OR

3. The gentleman is not really a "car guy".

Your friend does appear to meet all 3 criteria and - especially - since he is coming from a WagonR, I would suggest a new Ignis as well.

Quote:
If he wants to go for a new car Ignis Delta is perfect as per his requirements.
Sums it up perfectly! Added bonus = The Ignis is fun .
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 18:15   #9
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Other than the Ignis Delta, he may want to check the Swift VXi and the i10 Nios Magna/Sportz.

I would personally suggest the Swift due to the way it drives, though the Nios has a better feel good factor from inside and will feel like a proper upgrade from a Wagon-R.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 22:55   #10
BHPian

Re: Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

2. The budget is under 8 - 10 lakhs.
Why would you say this? Is it because depreciation here is much lesser?
Old 6th July 2020, 23:42   #11
Senior - BHPian

In that budget, brand new Ignis and even the Swift are good options that suit your cousin's requirement.

If he's planning to go pre-owned route, I'd recommend getting something from C segment and above. Maruti Ciaz, Ertiga and Honda City are some options (keeping CNG requirement in mind) that instantly come to mind.

No point in going pre-owned when a brand new mechanically identical car is available in your budget. So it's a big no-no for a pre-owned Baleno over brand new Ignis from my side.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 09:32   #12
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Ignis is fun .
Exactly what I feel after driving Ignis. In fact your friend can even opt for AMT variant of delta. Lower variants of Swift, Baleno clash with delta Ignis on price but these cars are nothing in front of an Ignis in terms of uniqueness & fun factor. One more good car of MS stable that doesn't sell? Ritz, SCross 1.6 add to the list this Ignis too.

P.S: I haven't driven an Ignis MJD diesel but I'm sure it should be more fun.
Old 7th July 2020, 10:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

His running is high at 50-80 kms per day! He should go for Celerio CNG factory fitted. It runs and handles much better than Wagon R and should fit in to his budget.

He can also look at Hyundai santro for an alternative.
Isnt he considering AMT cars? if thats the case he should consider Ignis Delta AMT to ease his commute.

Tata Tiago also fits the bill perfectly for his commuting purposes.
But my vote will go to Celerio CNG/ New Wagon R CNG if he likes it.
Tell him to buy a factory fitted CNG car, he can use in petrol mode whenever he wants some fun.

Last edited by silverado : 7th July 2020 at 10:05.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 09:41   #14
BHPian

Daily running of 50 to 80 KM ? I would suggest a Ford Figo/ Freestyle anyday !

I was in a very similar dilemma a couple of years back. Took a test drive of Ignis ( P ) and Freestyle ( D ). But once I drove the 1.5 TDCi engine of Ford's there was no going back to IGNIS ( P ) even though my running was low ( monthly 1000 kms ) and I also settled for the Ambiente version due to budget constraints.

But, if he is considering only " Petrol " car, then IGNIS is the best bet in this price category
Sk8r is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 09:43   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
One of my cousins wants to replace his Wagon R with a new car. He was going to buy a new Ignis petrol and I came into the picture. I asked him to have a look at the second-hand market. He followed my advice and checked some of the second-hand cars like Baleno, Tiago etc. This made him a bit confused.
I suggest you add a poll to this thread. This will give you a precise visual feedback of the BHPian's inclination for your answer. Reading through each post for just finding 1 car name that a member suggest may be inefficient. Add all options about car name plates, variants, pre-owned options etc into the voting candidates. This one will help a lot of people as this is one of the most common dilemmas that a hatchback buyer faces unless he/she enters the market with a pre-locked target car.

Meanwhile - my vote would go to the Tata Tiago (and Tigor if the friend can stretch a wee bit.) These cars have a proven safety certification from GNCAP that isn't matched by anyone else on paper yet. And there are now ample statistical data points available that show these cars while slightly noisy - are far more fuel efficient compared to Suzuki counterparts especially in crowded city conditions. The torque delivery at lower RPMs also seems to be better for regular use.

Last edited by Reinhard : 8th July 2020 at 09:45.
Reinhard is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed