Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2020, 15:14   #61
BHPian

Re: Which hatchback in the 6 - 7 lakh budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinshark View Post
My key requirements:
1. Safe car.
2. Well equipped to a point. So that I don’t feel the need to upgrade in 4-5 years.
3. Relatively fuss free ownership experience. I like the idea of getting to know my car mechanicals very well and take care of it, but if I’m realistic I know I will not find the time and won’t enjoy if I’m forced to learn it.
4. I am a new driver and I think I’ll enjoy driving a manual based on my experience with bikes for 10 years or so in Bangalore. However, everyone I know has insisted on me going for an automatic considering Bangalore traffic.
5. A value for money buy...
If safety is your first priority, then Ignis should not be first in your list. In my opinion, Tiago is the best match for all your requirements. Besides, it is the most value for money car you can buy in the segment.

I was myself in your position sometime back and ended up buying a Tata Tiago xz+ (manual transmission) on 16th July 2020. Apart from the AMT gearbox, I can surely vouch for the quality of the car. Be it the interiors, ICE, build quality or the performance, you won't complain as a new driver like me. Tata ASS is still to be experienced however and hence I will reserve my comment until then.
Akash.D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 16:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tiago XZA+ vs Ignis Zeta AMT. Which Budget automatic to go for?

Quote:

I am trying to do this in a budget of 8 lakhs OTR (Thanks Bangalore!).
Baleno Delta CVT is a better option if you can stretch your budget a little.
Ignis and Baleno are both Euro NCAP crash tested cars so they are pretty safe.

Do test drive Baleno CVT before you think of buying an AMT.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 16:44   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
We are still talking about Indian cars here right?

Maruti car sold in India which was tested in Euro NCAP..? Maruti doesn't even want to send cars to GNCAP (even with its safer cars for India program).
JithinR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:

I have nothing against Baleno or Maruti. But just asking.
If Maruti-Suzuki sold the same Euro-spec Baleno in India why did they not (still haven't) brag about the 4* rating (achieved in 2016) in their brochures/ads/websites? Are they really that dumb?
srvm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:24   #65
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
We are still talking about Indian cars here right?

Maruti car sold in India which was tested in Euro NCAP..? Maruti doesn't even want to send cars to GNCAP (even with its safer cars for India program).

How similar or different this is from the Indian version, I know not.
turbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 18:33   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash.D View Post
If safety is your first priority, then Ignis should not be first in your list.
Yes, I agree. But safety is also not very objectively measurable. I’m wondering if I should compromise a bit on safety (while hoping the Ignis will at least be better than Kwid, Celerio et al) or gamble on Tata ASS. What I mean by not ‘objectively measurable’ is that crash safety rating is just one aspect of safety where we see a number and some measurements. Are seat belts, airbags, ABS etc. good enough and how bad really is the ‘thin sheet metal’ build of Marutis. Is it as bad as it ‘feels’ or in reality will fare better? Also we talk about build quality as a hallmark of Tata cars but they are also known for rattles and niggles and issues like faulty fuel pump. Which IMO is also a measure of build quality.

I must say I’m leaning more towards taking a gamble with Tata. Then again, their showroom experience doesn’t really help to give you any confidence!

When I started my search I had slowly dropped all Marutis and was looking at Tata and Ford (Freestyle - but no auto and outside my budget). Now, I’m giving more weightage to what others are saying - about auto and ASS and considered Maruti again.

Quote:

As others have pointed out I’m not sure if we can take the rating from Euro NCAP into consideration. I’m not happy that Maruti have refused to send any cars to Global NCAP. To me it shows that they are not confident in their cars and that this is not a focus area for them. Which is a shame, considering as market leaders (by quite some margin) they should be setting an example and extend their lead.

I will look into Baleno CVT but then so many other cars come in that range and I’m once again going to be confused and put off my decision

Last edited by tinshark : 31st July 2020 at 18:39. Reason: Added another line for clarity
tinshark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 19:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
I must say I’m leaning more towards taking a gamble with Tata. Then again, their showroom experience doesn’t really help to give you any confidence!
When I started my search I had slowly dropped all Marutis and was looking at Tata and Ford (Freestyle - but no auto and outside my budget). Now, I’m giving more weightage to what others are saying - about auto and ASS and considered Maruti again.
If AMT and ICE is not very essential, I would suggest you to TD Ford Figo Titanium which is about the same price as the Tiago XZA plus. It has good good build quality and Ford ASS has become very good of late.

Even I had initially considered the MS Ignis Sigma but later decided to gamble with Tata ASS rather than gambling with my life .

Hope you find your dream ride soon .
Akash.D is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 11:13   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
I have nothing against Baleno or Maruti. But just asking.
If Maruti-Suzuki sold the same Euro-spec Baleno in India why did they not (still haven't) brag about the 4* rating (achieved in 2016) in their brochures/ads/websites? Are they really that dumb?
If you read the Euro Ncap ratings properly, the 4 star rated Baleno comes with Radar Braking ( Baleno would not be affordable with Radar braking in our market ) , while the 3 star Baleno is identical to one sold in India.Euro NCAP is superior to global NCAP, since global NCAP only has Frontal offset collision test, while Euro NCAP has host of other tests.

And dont forget, Baleno is the first car Made in India and exported to Japan!
Again i am not an expert to comment on the safety aspects, but i bought one based on Euro Ncap ratings.

And guys before you think i am Maruti lover, let me tell you i am die hard Tata fanboy.

Last edited by silverado : 1st August 2020 at 11:27.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2020, 16:37   #69
BHPian

Quote:
And dont forget, Baleno is the first car Made in India and exported to Japan!
Again i am not an expert to comment on the safety aspects, but i bought one based on Euro Ncap ratings.
I think there is no doubt that Maruti is capable of making safe cars. They probably do and export them. I think there is a difference in quality between Made for India and Made for export cars. We have heard stories about difference in weight and sheet metal thickness for cars made for export. Now, we don’t have any conclusive answers either way. But their dis-interest in emphasising safety as a key feature doesn’t give confidence and adds fuel to the fire.

Also, Maruti fully understands the market. Even though I claim to have safety as a high priority, if I’m considering the Ignis seriously, then most non gear-heads who look for features like touch screen and fuel efficiency will not even think about paying attention to these points. And Maruti wants to keep it that way and not focus the attention on crash safety as long as they can manage.

Last edited by tinshark : 1st August 2020 at 16:40. Reason: Added one extra point
tinshark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 18:23   #70

Hi everyone, I'm putting up this question on behalf of my friend who got married recently and moved to her in law's town. She and her husband would be traveling on weekends from there to Vizag which is around 220 km one way.

They traveled a couple of times on the bike and felt the exhaustion of the journey and want to buy a small petrol hatchback. Here are their requirements

1. The budget is capped at 7 lakhs.
2. Only petrol with manual transmission.
3. Safety is the highest priority.
4. Should give decent mileage on the highway trips.
5. The car would be driven by my friend's husband himself.

They've shortlisted a few of them.
1. Tata Taigo - XZ
2. Hyundai i10 Nios - Magna
3. MS Swift - VXI
4. Hyundai Venue - S (because why not)
5. Ford Figo - Titanium

Please pour in some suggestions over these.
Old 24th August 2020, 20:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg2332 View Post

They've shortlisted a few of them.
1. Tata Taigo - XZ
2. Hyundai i10 Nios - Magna
3. MS Swift - VXI
4. Hyundai Venue - S (because why not)
5. Ford Figo - Titanium

Please pour in some suggestions over these.
I am in a situation like this, So i think I'm eligible to write for it.
See my requirement was also a safe car for highway cruising and stuff. So we shortlisted Tiago, Ford Figo and The Altroz. Stuck off the altroz due to the lack of features in the XE and XM variants because of lack of features in the base variants.

The Figo is a good rival with on par build and safety with all of its rival but the interiors and future of Ford just doesn't make an impact like that of Tata.

The Tiago is a great budget buy with best safety and features in the segment but lacks space, so we decided to shift to the Tigor.
Though we were looking for a hatchback, the Tigor is a C2 segment sedan but at a price of a hatchback.
I took the quote of Tigor at around 7.5 lacs on road in Delhi and are deciding further on it. This is for the XZ+ trim which is the top trim so it's an absolutely great deal.

What I want to say is, if the car is only for a couple, the Tiago is an excellent buy with no compromises. If they want more space(like our family, in this case) head for the Tigor.
Other competitors in this segment lacks safety whether it be MS or Hyundai. So decide accordingly.
Old 24th August 2020, 21:10   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might be able to get the base or mid Polo and Altroz for that budget. The Altroz would be my pick between those two. Safety wise, it's is in another league entirely from your current shortlist.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 21:17   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
You might be able to get the base or mid Polo and Altroz for that budget. The Altroz would be my pick between those two. Safety wise, it's is in another league entirely from your current shortlist.
I'm wondering why not the Ford Figo. Is it just because of the future of Ford and the JV with Mahindra ? Because I've driven Figo once it was a joy to drive.
dg2332 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 22:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm wondering why not the Ford Figo. Is it just because of the future of Ford and the JV with Mahindra ? Because I've driven Figo once it was a joy to drive.
The GNCAP safety rating for the Figo is 3-stars. I may be wrong but I don't think you can get the version with six airbags within this budget either. Since safety was the main priority, I'd rule the Figo out in favour of the Altroz.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 22:30   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed that figo is great in terms of driveability but there are other factors too.
The figo is a flop model (Check the official review By T-BHP) and hence not much are seen on roads. Their sales have been drastically low and with such no.s it doesn't feel assuring to spend 7 lacs on Ford IMO. The only thing driving Ford right now in India is Ecosport. I don't know whether ford will be going the GM way but still there's a doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The GNCAP safety rating for the Figo is 3-stars. I may be wrong but I don't think you can get the version with six airbags within this budget either. Since safety was the main priority, I'd rule the Figo out in favour of the Altroz.
I would have considered Altroz but lack of features in Altroz is just a deal breaker for me. I know I'm not the one being in the conversation right now but its just my opinion to go for the tigor instead of altroz for better features.
chiefpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks