Team-BHP - Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/22974-hatchback-options-automatic-transmission-11.html)

What we need is a diesel auto hatchback.The market out there is pretty big i think but none of the auto makers are looking into that sadly.Imagine a diesel i20,swift or a figo with an auto option.

Me too for a long time looking for an AT hatch to replace my city ride - i10. i10 AT was out due to low FE, my MT Fe is even too low at 10-12kpl, can't imagine it in AT. About to book Brio AT S(O) last month but Honda discontinued it and introduced VX AT which is expensive. I am in no mood to spend more than 6 Lacs for a city hatch. My only options are - Ritz AT (6.5 L) and A-Star. A-Star seems to be pure VFM and perfect city ride but i am scared of poor resale value it commands.
Right now postponed the decision to buy the hatch till November due to this confusion. Hope for any new reliable and good to drive AT to be launched in a while. Otherwise may opt for Beat Diesel as it seems to be pure VFM below 6L for a city ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 3141224)
Long awaited and finally its here.

Micra 1.2 will be launched with a face-lift and optional automatic trans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 3145369)
Assume this is 1.2 petrol. If so, why is this long awaited ? When I read long-awaited, I thought we finally got a diesel-AT hatchback which most people here have been waiting for for ages. :)

+1.

Does the market really cares about the Micra - forget its automatic transmission! And the transmission is nothing much to write home either - except there is a switch which increases the engine noise. :D

Swift AT - now that would be long awaited. Wonder whats stopping Maruti!

Long awaited because its the first CVT in the segment (1.2L, 4m). So far, all the conventional A/Ts... esp the i-10/20 have shown poor FE in city conditions despite what the ARAI label says.

Hopefully this will be the one that will eliminate that one big hurdle for buyers.

Having said that I'm not under any illusion about its ability to satisfy the enthusiast, its a pain-free tool for tackling traffic choked commutes........... not a sports hatch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR (Post 3145538)
Does the market really cares about the Micra - forget its automatic transmission! And the transmission is nothing much to write home either - except there is a switch which increases the engine noise. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 3145566)
Long awaited because its the first CVT in the segment (1.2L, 4m). So far, all the conventional A/Ts... esp the i-10/20 have shown poor FE in city conditions despite what the ARAI label says.

Hopefully this will be the one that will eliminate that one big hurdle for buyers.
Having said that I'm not under any illusion about its ability to satisfy the enthusiast, its a pain-free tool for tackling traffic choked commutes........... not a sports hatch.

+1 to Mpower. Now thats the reason, most folks (including me!) would like to wait for this AT to be in market. The best hassle free AT city drive and CVT to ensure the best FE for a 1.2L. Hopefully Nissan reliability should also be good. Brio AT is of course there, but I think this would make a better choice thanks to firstly more space and secondly the CVT engine.

Even if the Micra CVT is not significantly better than the Brio 5AT, having more players in the segment gets the competitive juices flowing resulting better deals for customers and also technical innovation and of course in the end, the customer wins.

Very true Mpower. When we got the i10AT as a second car there was no choice. A-star came much later. It feels very capable, but space is a lot down for my requirements, even for one of those odd days, where we may have to ferry few people in the car. However the suspensions I thought were fantastic.

The other aspect is purely psychological. Getting the perspective of space in an A-Star after driving the i10 was very difficult. I did look at the Brio lately. It is spacious. But the huge glass in the back is something which I am not comfortable with. Micra is one which looks like a good proposition in the overall scheme of things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampere (Post 3145614)
+1 to Mpower. Now thats the reason, most folks (including me!) would like to wait for this AT to be in market. The best hassle free AT city drive and CVT to ensure the best FE for a 1.2L. Hopefully Nissan reliability should also be good. Brio AT is of course there, but I think this would make a better choice thanks to firstly more space and secondly the CVT engine.

I couldn't agree more. I am waiting on hearing reviews on the Micra CVT before I take the plunge. My Santro needs to be exchanged with a proper hatchback that can do woeful traffic duties including everyday commute. The Nissan and the little Honda fits the bill but clearly the Micra has more interior space and is a more 'wholesome' looking hatchback.

We've had a good share of reliable Hondas in our stable, only this time around hopefully a Nissan ownership comes with the same peace of mind.

BTW, will we be getting a Micra CVT official TBhp review anytime soon?

So isn't the Ecosport AT 1.5 Petrol a Hatchback AT? :)
It could end up being priced quite close to the i20 AT and is sure is the same segment vehicle if one considers the inside space. I might be in the same segment in terms of price too. Yep it has height so maybe it's a hatchback on stilts then.

The above is not to belittle the Ecosport, it seems to be a great vehicle and has a lot of potential, and the high GC surely will help it's SUV's credentials, it's just that it targets customers from so many diverse segments. Wonder is ford will be equipped to meet the demand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3146053)
So isn't the Ecosport AT 1.5 Petrol a Hatchback AT? :)
It could end up being priced quite close to the i20 AT and is sure is the same segment vehicle if one considers the inside space.

It would be great if it was the case but I have a feeling it's going to be priced well over a lakh or two than the i20 Auto.

HaHa...in many ways it is, although calling it a hatch would cause severe heart burn to the marketing team at Ford !

Polo GT is probably more representative because its a 1.2 and thus enjoys the exise advantage.

Quote:

Yep it has height so maybe it's a hatchback on stilts then
Anyways, the term 'hatchback' should not be taken in strict sense was intended to signify affordability more than anything else

Buy an A STAR AT, it would not disappoint you. Its an awesome car. Its yet to complete one year and I have more than 18.5k on the odo. Its a great car on highways too. And the ground clearance is actually pretty good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpower (Post 3145619)
Even if the Micra CVT is not significantly better than the Brio 5AT, having more players in the segment gets the competitive juices flowing resulting better deals for customers and also technical innovation and of course in the end, the customer wins.

Stupid question alert!

So I am not very familiar with the AT terminologies. I understand that there are different technologies for AT. One I have heard is DSG which is in Polo (the only hatchback to have DSG). Then there is CVT which you mention. I thought the AT in A-star/i10/Ritz is all CVT. So we actually have 3 AT technologies in India? - The DSG, the CVT and the conventional AT?

As per your post it seems that the order of AT performance is DSG>CVT>Conventional AT. Note that I am just talking about performance of AT i.e. its smoothness and not price. Can you please tell me briefly the difference between these technologies?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saanil (Post 3176038)
As per your post it seems that the order of AT performance is DSG>CVT>Conventional AT. Note that I am just talking about performance of AT i.e. its smoothness and not price. Can you please tell me briefly the difference between these technologies?

CVTs are smooth (probably the smoothest as there are no steps to casue jerk while shifting) but they are known to have a phenomenon called rubber band effect (engine RPM and vehicle speed do not always correspond while accelerating and hence weird feeling).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guna (Post 3176061)
CVTs are smooth (probably the smoothest as there are no steps to casue jerk while shifting) but they are known to have a phenomenon called rubber band effect (engine RPM and vehicle speed do not always correspond while accelerating and hence weird feeling).

So what AT technology is there in i10/A-star/Dzire? Is there a name for it or should we just call them conventional AT? Also in terms of Fuel efficiency will CVT be the best (keeping other things constant)?