Team-BHP - Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Hatchbacks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/)
-   -   Hatchback options with Automatic Transmission (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchbacks/22974-hatchback-options-automatic-transmission-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viraat13 (Post 2259739)
Honda CRV, Civic.
BMW & Mercedes have plenty too.

Honda city has automatic version.
Maruti SX4 petrol has AT
Cruze diesel has AT
Verna Diesel has AT
Vento petrol has AT
I20 petrol has AT
I10 .2 litre Kappa petrol
Maruti A Star

Aaah, the topic I have been looking for!

Planning on buying a car for my dad who is not too keen on driving a stick shift. So Auto it is. The car will be primarily used for short trips not more than 10 km one way with an occasional long drive out of town. My parents are not averse to buy a used car, but since they are not going to have much help with the maintenance, I am looking for newer cars.
Please advice what would be the best hatch back. Here are the requirements in the order of priority.

1. Must be an Auto
2. Price: Must be under 4 lakhs out the door. Doesnt make sent to spend anymore on a occasional use car.
3. Reliable with good A.S.S
4. Good ergonomics for driver and passenger, I don't care how it looks. They are all shoe boxes anyway.
5. Safety. Its probably hard to find all the safety doodads under 4 lakhs, so its not high on the list.
6. Good Kmpl

So far from what I read, I-10 is the only Auto that is available in that price range and even that is over 4.5 lakhs. Are there any other cars that I can look at? I know lot of other cars have been suggested here but I do not know the prices.

Thanks for all your help.

Mayavi:
If you want a brand new car, look at the A Star Automatic with ABS. It is only available in the VXi trim though.
However, if you could lay your hands on a 2 year old example of an i10 A/T, that would be ideal, as it a much superior all rounder. Also, since it would be only 2 years old, reliability and maintainance should not much of a hassle for your folks.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.. i too have similar requirements as Mayavi.

We have an ikon in the family. Looking for a second car for my office commute. Prefer auto transmission. Budget is 4laks.

Is Santro available with auto transmission?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1282387)
WagonR's are still available in A/T, but it's a lousy 3 speed.

Having lived with the AT in my Zen from 1999 to 2005 I can vouch for the very bad 3-speed Maruti AT, very thirsty as well. When I switched to the Santro AT is 2005 it was nirvana.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 2273249)
Having lived with the AT in my Zen from 1999 to 2005 I can vouch for the very bad 3-speed Maruti AT, very thirsty as well. When I switched to the Santro AT is 2005 it was nirvana.

Santro AT is not listed on Hyundai's website. Is it discontinued?

A-star Auto is about 4.5 lakhs and thats before tax and insurance I guess. Is there any other alternative? Since I am not India and my parents do not have much help, its hard to look for a used car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pallavi (Post 2273264)
Santro AT is not listed on Hyundai's website. Is it discontinued?

Santro AT is no more, it is replaced by i10 AT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayavi
1. Must be an Auto
2. Price: Must be under 4 lakhs out the door. Doesnt make sent to spend anymore on a occasional use car.
3. Reliable with good A.S.S
4. Good ergonomics for driver and passenger, I don't care how it looks. They are all shoe boxes anyway.
5. Safety. Its probably hard to find all the safety doodads under 4 lakhs, so its not high on the list.
6. Good Kmpl

The only new AT car that comes closest to your requirements is the A-Star_AT. It cost us 4.65lakhs OTR-Kerala - prices in other states would vary based on RoadTax rates. It comes in VXi trim and also has ABS and driver-seat height adjustment. Gives good mileage - we get 14-15kmpl in Kerala.

The next option is the i10-AT, which would cost another 75-80K more than the A-Star. It has a more powerful engine & is more roomier, but does not have ABS and FE is lower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayavi
A-star Auto is about 4.5 lakhs and thats before tax and insurance I guess. Is there any other alternative? Since I am not India and my parents do not have much help, its hard to look for a used car.

Which state are your parents based at ? Tax and discounts depend on that - in Kerala they give only 20K discount for A-Star, but tax is only 6%. In TN, the discounts are close to 40K, but tax is higher at 10%. The A-Star should be available if you up the budget by 60-80K depending on your location in India.

The Santro-AT would have been a cheaper alternative, but I understand it is not sold now.

@mayavi, if you are very particular on the FE i would suggest you look at other options, better not look at i10 AT. I get only 8.5 km/l in 100% city driving with intermittent a/c on .

Quote:

Originally Posted by supremeBaleno (Post 2274527)
The next option is the i10-AT, which would cost another 75-80K more than the A-Star. It has a more powerful engine & is more roomier, but does not have ABS and FE is lower.

i10 AT comes in two variants, Sportz and Asta. The Asta variant does have ABS, dual airbags and sunroof.

^^^
True, but that would be closer to 7-lakhs, which was why I referred to the i10 Sportz-AT model.

I think Hyundai is missing a tremendous opportunity by not having AT in their i10 1.1 range - say costing within 5lakhs.

BTW, when the Santro-AT was available, what did it cost ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 2273249)

I second that, Maruti Zen AT though a good car had a very jerky gearbox. I used one for almost 5 years and sold recently. Now I purchased Hyundai i10 Automatic (Sportz). I had tested A-Star Automatic, but found that to be jerky again (rubberband effect) and not as refined as i10.

Folks, is there any news about manufacturers introducing new AT cars in the sub 7 lakh segment?

What are the hassles involved in retrofitting a new Swift with an automatic gear box? Can any experienced hand offer ' advance knowledge of after wisdom ' please?? Job is to be done in Pune / Mumbai

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.