Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2007, 14:54   #46
BHPian

well i still think its the wagon -r for you ( just throw the seat out of the door), otherwise go for the swift , the steering is not as light as a wagon-r but its comfortable and definately not hard. and staying in delhi you can never go wrong with MUL service
Old 10th July 2007, 17:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well i still think its the wagon -r for you ( just throw the seat out of the door),
Can you please explain that statement ?
Old 10th July 2007, 21:24   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33 View Post
Since you are just going to learn to drive and this will be your first car, I would definitely recommend going for Spark.

Its an amazingly small car - Great to drive in traffic also great for new learner for perfecting his/her judgment.
Has more than sufficient power - 1L engine is more than enough for this car.
Has very good A/C - Thanks to its bigger engine than Matiz, even when A/C is ON car has good drivability. And its very good A/C will keep you cool in hot summer.
Central Dash controversy - Don't fall for people saying central dash is distracting and all. It takes no more than 2 minutes to get used to, and is not distracting at all.
Lower maintenance cost - From what data GM is giving it will be cheap to maintain.

As for your query about High mounted steering - That one is you gonna have to decide for yourself. Maybe another detailed visit to GM dealer would be of help.
I agree that the dashboard thing will not be an issue, especially since I have not driven any car till date.

Regd maintainance, I think GM is quoting a figure of 200odd on an average. Any idea how they have arrived at this ?
Old 10th July 2007, 21:38   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_headrock View Post
Well if you have the budget of going for the Getz,i would say the Skoda Fabia is absolutely worth the wait.check out the Skoda Website.The car is certainly many notches above the current crop of Indian hatchbacks.Hope so Skoda India shouldnt do much changes to the International model.The website is here.
Å*koda Auto - New Å*koda Fabia - Look
I am not sure whether Fabia will be a good option given the high maintainance and I am not looking for an absolute "performance car" which I think Fabia will be. Plus its a new, untested in India car. Not taking a risk.

Quote:
The swift you may have problems with reversing as the rear windscreen is too high and takes getting used to (unless you get some reverse sensors fitted). Its a very good car as far as the engine goes, may have a little dynamic instability (body roll) on high speeds

I think you should try out the spark though as it is a new gen car and will be around for sometime. Uva has a good shape, but did you try it and not like it or just rejected due to other reasons.
Thats my only worry of the swift. Is it too big for a newbie to handle ?

UVA. Somehow I have not seen many on the road and I dont think its done too well. So avoiding it.

Thanks crazy

Quote:
GM has a 3 year servicing package at 8k making it the cheapest car to maintain its segment.

GETZ is the most practical hatch, if mileage is not a concern.
How is the figure of 8 k calculated ?

And, what is the FE of Getz ?

Quote:
Swift Petrol ZXI! with lots of Mods and a great ICE setup.
He He... where do I get the moolah from ?

Quote:
Go on..practice on the TD cars.. Am an amateur myself never having driven in the city.. and got all my practice on various TD cars
Whoa.. thats an Idea

Quote:
However, I would seriously recommend you to consider Fiat Palio Stile 1.6 as your budget is approx. within that range. Italian cars are really strong & have a great engine which can be with you for the next 5 years without any problems...
Fiat... no ways ( sorry Finney ). I think the A.S.S. is still not good enough compared to MUL and HMIL.
Old 10th July 2007, 21:39   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
well i still think its the wagon -r for you ( just throw the seat out of the door), otherwise go for the swift , the steering is not as light as a wagon-r but its comfortable and definately not hard. and staying in delhi you can never go wrong with MUL service
Where do I sit ?

Care to explain ?
Old 10th July 2007, 22:16   #51
BHPian

Re-iterating, go for the Spark. It should be the best option amongst the cars listed, unles you strictly want a 5 seater.
Old 10th July 2007, 22:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nids by now reading all the replies, you'd probably have realized that more or less every single opinion in this thread has a shade of bias in it because the poster has owned/driven/been in a particular car extensively. Unlike in large sedans, hatches are easy to pick... especially the small hatches. All of them are good value for money, reliable, easy to drive and shall suit your purpose. My advice would be to pick the car your heart desires and don't pay much heed to other people's opinions. After all a car is bought once every 5-10 years and once purchased you'd have to live with it for that period. Better not compromise on your dreams by letting someone else decide for you!

Good Luck .
Old 10th July 2007, 22:47   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nids.Leo View Post
Where do I sit ?

Care to explain ?

Maybe just stand up and drive, its such a tall car anyways.

j/k
Old 10th July 2007, 23:17   #54
BHPian

As far as 8k goes, sorry i have no idea as to how they arrive at that. But that accounts to the cheapest as far as maintainence goes in its segment.

GETZ mileage, i am doing a lot of research work on it myself. So far i have been told that i can expect around 10-11 in city. It can go lower if you are not a sedate driver. Can go higher if driven for mileage.

I repeat, GETZ is the most practical hatch in town. If budget is stretcable and mileage not a concern, its the best buy.

I am a first timer myself and deciding between GETZ and SPARK, if that helps!!

karthik
Old 10th July 2007, 23:22   #55

Quote:
I agree that the dashboard thing will not be an issue, especially since I have not driven any car till date.

Regd maintainance, I think GM is quoting a figure of 200odd on an average. Any idea how they have arrived at this ?
What GM says is it will cost you just Rs 7500 for 9 scheduled services for a period of 3 years or 45000 Kms and it includes labour and consumables both. and so 7500/36 months clome sto Rs 211 per month. preety cheap and reassuring. The spare parts comparison for spark is also favorable.

Spark definitely seems teh bets choice of the lot.
Old 11th July 2007, 00:08   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
As far as 8k goes, sorry i have no idea as to how they arrive at that. But that accounts to the cheapest as far as maintainence goes in its segment.

GETZ mileage, i am doing a lot of research work on it myself. So far i have been told that i can expect around 10-11 in city. It can go lower if you are not a sedate driver. Can go higher if driven for mileage.

I repeat, GETZ is the most practical hatch in town. If budget is stretcable and mileage not a concern, its the best buy.

I am a first timer myself and deciding between GETZ and SPARK, if that helps!!

karthik
Which version of the Getz are you talking about. AFAIK, there are two options 1.1 and 1.3 right ?
If a 1.1 can deliver 14 KMPL in the city, it will be good enough for me I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahukulk View Post
What GM says is it will cost you just Rs 7500 for 9 scheduled services for a period of 3 years or 45000 Kms and it includes labour and consumables both. and so 7500/36 months clome sto Rs 211 per month. preety cheap and reassuring. The spare parts comparison for spark is also favorable.

Spark definitely seems teh bets choice of the lot.
Thanks Rahul,

If their theoretical calculations match what happens practically, it does seem a good bet.

But does this happen guys ? Any comments ?

Last edited by adya33 : 11th July 2007 at 09:26.
Old 11th July 2007, 00:53   #57

Quote:
Which version of the Getz are you talking about. AFAIK, there are two options 1.1 and 1.3 right ?
If a 1.1 can deliver 14 KMPL in the city, it will be good enough for me I guess.
I have a Getz 1.3 (the earlier model, not the Getz Prime). It gives me around 11 - 12kmpl in the city. Haven't driven much on the highway, but my feeling is that it doesnt give too much..maybe like 14 on the highway.

It is a very comfortable, spacious and very refined and silky smooth car. Only concern I have is in the low end torque. The car does seem a little underpowered at low rpms (less than 2000 rpm) especially if the car is under full load (5 people) and AC is on.
Old 11th July 2007, 01:02   #58
BHPian

I am talking about GETZ 1.3. If its the getz your looking at, than 1.3 is a safer bet. I had ran a thread to opt for one between 1.3 and 1.1, and was advised to go for 1.3 .

There is a TD report of getz 1.1 by 'geeksrik'. If you are happy with that, than please go ahead.

I have just recently TD getz 1.3. I found it very comfortable and easy to drive over the SWIFT. Will be TD'ivg the SPARK very soon.

Keeping aside the price , for a newbie GETZ or SPARK is the best bet,IMHO. You can choose the one as per your budget and needs.

karthik
Old 11th July 2007, 01:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

SInce you require ease of use, forget the Swift/Getz/Palio. All have thick C pillars/too many blind spots. Will take some(a lot more) time getting used to, since you are a newbie.

Get one of the smaller hatches - Santro/Alto/Wagon R/Maruti 800/Spark. I think the Spark should be ideal for you. Test drive and decide. make sure you drive for at least 10 kms and in some traffic too, to get an idea of the car. In open road TD, it is difficult to judge a car(for your requirements).
Old 11th July 2007, 08:31   #60
BHPian

WOW, lots of replies... lots of gyaan... leading to lots of confusion, seems like u're still where u started

IMO, best thing for a newbie is to get a second hand car and drive the wheels off it till u're one furlong away from breaking into F1. There'r a lot of good buys in the second hand market, why don't u give this option a second thought?

Second best would be to get either the Santro or the Spark... both are much better looking than competition, have spunky engines and good fun to drive. Swift is a great car (I own one), but outside visibility is really poor and it might be difficult for a newbie to make the subtle adjustments required in the city traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks