Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2007, 14:30   #1

Which Hatchback for a first time driver ?

Hi Team,

Need your help and inputs on deciding a car for myself.

Cars short listed: Swift (P), Spark, Santro, Estilo ( In order of preference going just by the looks and comfortable seating). ( Have decidedly ruled out UVA and Wagon R)

Price Range: 4.5 Lac OTR in Delhi max.

Maintenance: Should be as low as possible.

Monthly Travel: 800 to 1000 km. Within Delhi, with an occasional once a week visit to Gurgaon Office on the NH8

Totally Self driven. By myself and brother. Want comfortable seating for 4 adults and one kid

Plan to keep the car for long. 5 years maybe.

Some more points to keep in mind please.

- I am a gal.
- 5 feet in height. This is a major factor in me deciding which car to buy. It has to be a car that can be driven comfortably by someone of my height.
- I am a first time driver. Will start my lessons this week

Hence I am unable to take a test drive right now and my evaluation is based on myself sitting in the drivers seat and seeinghow comfortable I was in terms of my reach to the pedals and the steering / dash height. Plus test drive by a friend who otherwise drives an Ikon Flair.

I have done a little bit of research on the cars that I have shortlisted:

- Wagon R: Ruled out the moment I sat in it. The driver seat did not have a position which would enable me to reach the pedals comfortably. Either I had to stretch or there would be too little leg space.

- Swift: Found this to be comfortable. And it just about fits in my budget too. But slight apprehension is whether its a good "first" car. I mean, it is bigger dimensionwise so will it be tougher to drive compared to smaller hatches ?
Also, the friend who drove it thought the power steering was a bit hard compared to other cars ? Is this the case with swift ?

- Spark: My initial thought was that the dash + steering were very high and would obstruct my vision. But will have to recheck on that ? Anyone has any info on it ?

- Estilo: Apart from the fact that the driving position looked comfortable, I generally dont like this car. Will be my last choice if it comes to that.

- Santro: Does it make sense to buy it considering that its about to be phased out / replaced ?

What does the team think ?
Old 9th July 2007, 15:55   #2
BHPian

are you sure about the seating space of the wagon -r ,cause it has one of the best seat travels in the small car segment.
maybe the seat was not adequately pulled forward, at times something like a rubber mount or the end of the carper gets stuck limiting seat travel,I suggest you take another look.
the wagon -r wud fit all your requirements and if you order it with ABS should be really safe too.
It gives very decent acceptable mileage ,low on maintenance , very well built and is very versatile.

my second option would be the swift but then going for the vxi would entail you to stretch your budget slightly...

eventually whatever car you go for my advice ,since you intend to keep it fro 5-6 yrs atleast would be to go for something equipped with ABS atleast.

w
Old 9th July 2007, 16:09   #3
BHPian

IMHO: Buying a car w/o TD-ing it is a strict no-no. Please wait until u can TD your short-listed cars, only then should you decide on the car.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:12   #4
BANNED

Spark will be sure the best choice for you.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

If you have the budget, then go for Swift. Its not as big or difficult to drive as you think it to be. You willl get used to its size pretty soon. All the other cars you mentioned are a segment lower, and my choice would be between Santro and WR. Since you didnt like the WR, Santro is a pretty good option. I dont think the Santro is going to be phased out soon, its selling 13k+ per month! The new Santro is atleast an year away, so is the new WR (Suzuki Splash).
Old 9th July 2007, 16:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nids.Leo View Post

Swift: Found this to be comfortable. And it just about fits in my budget too. But slight apprehension is whether its a good "first" car. I mean, it is bigger dimensionwise so will it be tougher to drive compared to smaller hatches ?
Also, the friend who drove it thought the power steering was a bit hard compared to other cars ? Is this the case with swift ?

- Spark: My initial thought was that the dash + steering were very high and would obstruct my vision. But will have to recheck on that ? Anyone has any info on it ?

I am not sure you will feel comfortable in Swift Vxi due to its sitting position. IMHO , Spark seems to be good for you.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:19   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I dont think the Santro is going to be phased out soon, its selling 13k+ per month! The new Santro is atleast an year away, so is the new WR (Suzuki Splash).
Yes It is ! Expect new Santro within this year.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@Nids, firstly welcome to tbhp. Nice to see the other gender too take some participation on this forum.

With regards to your choices, i do think wagonR suits your bill with some money saved ( under 4L). And, i dont see Getz shortlisted? It is the only car that has the maximum space in this segment. So it would be good if you can include them in your shortlisted cars.

1.1 Getz prime if you need VFM in terms of FE. But, if you like some performance thrown in you can consider the 1.3 model.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:24   #9
Senior - BHPian

i would suggest TD all the cars and then decide

and i think swift vxi would be a good choice and about the dimensions you will get use to it once you start driving it

the next choice would be a the spark or the estilo both have good sitting position

have a look at the getz to its a good car

Last edited by manikjeet : 9th July 2007 at 16:25.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijit 2284 View Post
are you sure about the seating space of the wagon -r ,cause it has one of the best seat travels in the small car segment.
maybe the seat was not adequately pulled forward, at times something like a rubber mount or the end of the carper gets stuck limiting seat travel,I suggest you take another look.
the wagon -r wud fit all your requirements and if you order it with ABS should be really safe too.
It gives very decent acceptable mileage ,low on maintenance , very well built and is very versatile.

my second option would be the swift but then going for the vxi would entail you to stretch your budget slightly...

eventually whatever car you go for my advice ,since you intend to keep it fro 5-6 yrs atleast would be to go for something equipped with ABS atleast.

w
I tried on two diff WRs. The problem is that the two successive slots where the seat stops are both uncomfortable. One is too far from the pedals and the other too near. Wanted a slot in between the two but alas, it was not there.

Otherwise, loved the car.

Quote:
IMHO: Buying a car w/o TD-ing it is a strict no-no. Please wait until u can TD your short-listed cars, only then should you decide on the car.
I will definately TD the car before buying. This is just the initial research till the time when I am comfortable driving, probably in the next couple of weeks.

Quote:
I am not sure you will feel comfortable in Swift Vxi due to its sitting position. IMHO , Spark seems to be good for you.
Swift looked manageable enough.
I like the Spark but have to check out the seating position.

What about the Swifts power steering ? Is it harder than other cars ?

Thanks for all the replies team
Old 9th July 2007, 16:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

According to me you shoulod consider Spark. New Santro will be laucnhed soon I guess so first get the DL and then plan for the cars by that time you should get festival discounts and more choice.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:31   #12
Team-BHP Support

Hi,

The best choice out of the cars that you have short-listed is the Swift.

However, its not a good first car. You will take a few days to get used to it. Its easy for a girl to drive, but the dimensions should take a week to get used to.

But, after a month, you'll be happier in the Swift, than in other 'small' hatches. Since you plan the car as a long-term asset (5 years), go for the Swift.

OT: I thought the Estilo was the girl's car. specially in pink!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nids.Leo View Post
- Estilo: Apart from the fact that the driving position looked comfortable, I generally dont like this car. Will be my last choice if it comes to that.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th July 2007 at 16:34.
Old 9th July 2007, 16:53   #13
VBV
BHPian

My wife drives cars pretty well. She is short too, we have an old Zen (not the estillo) and she's able to drive it w/o any hassles.

My suggestion would be to consider a second hand car (say a two-three year old car) as your first car. Any dents or scratches will only hurt your pocket and not your heart. Also you'll get used to car driving/maintainence/financing without much ado.

In this segment, you might want to consider the old Zen as well.

If you still want to go for a first hand, my choice would be the swift or the spark.

VBV
Old 9th July 2007, 17:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@Nids, firstly welcome to tbhp. Nice to see the other gender too take some participation on this forum.

With regards to your choices, i do think wagonR suits your bill with some money saved ( under 4L). And, i dont see Getz shortlisted? It is the only car that has the maximum space in this segment. So it would be good if you can include them in your shortlisted cars.

1.1 Getz prime if you need VFM in terms of FE. But, if you like some performance thrown in you can consider the 1.3 model.
Yes, I missed out on checking out the Getz. Will consider the 1.1 version.
But any reviews on its FE and *** and maintainance costs ? Whats the price like ?

Quote:
OT: I thought the Estilo was the girl's car. specially in pink!
He he. It does not matter what maruti thinks. A car is a car and I want a good one. A pink estilo is as bad as Govinda's clothes . I will still consider a red / silver one. But I dont like the overall shape and interior settings. Will be a compromise any which ways :(
Old 9th July 2007, 17:10   #15
BHPian

Hi Nids,
If you drive mostly in the city then Santro is the perfect choice. It is an amazing car to drive in the city with good steering response. I have Santro Xing for the past 3 years and I am totally happy with the car. Maintenance is less and the after sales service is good. The seating position is high and it gives a good view of the road which makes easy to drive. If you consider the budget just go with AC and power steering.
The recent "car and bike show" comments that there is no new version of Santro at least a year, and they have recently launched CNG Santro. All the best.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks