Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2007, 23:38   #1
BHPian

Please suggest:- Getz CRDI, Indica Turbo or Swift CDI

Guys please suggest which one of the following would be the best value for money and a great set of wheels to own for atleast 5 years

Getz CRDI, Indica Turbo or Swift CDI

I travel extensivly around 2000+ KM in a month and really want a diesel car as it is less expensive to run (company has stopped petrol allowance )

I want a very sturdy car with less or nil highway problems and good mileage. The Indica tuned out to be a good investment according to me but the Swift Diesel was a good eyecatcher too. I'm not sure how it performs on the long run (any insights from swift VDI owners please). Also i recently heard that Getz CRDI was one of the best cars to go for because of its power packed engine and also a good ride quality but i would really like feedback on how are the spares and stuff priced with Hyundai.

Price being a constraint upto 6 lacks only i cant go for a mid size car which i would have loved. But considering the fact that only me and my wife or one of my colleagues would be with me on every trip..i think a small car makes sense.

Please advice which would be the best and value for money..If i have any money left in the 6 lacks then i can go in for a high end music system also or else i will have todo with the good old company fitted options..

Thank in advance..
Old 1st December 2007, 09:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

getz and swift is the prefered vehicle of the three.getz due to the immence power delivery scores an upper hand in 0-60 and 40-100 figures but its hardly noticeable in every day application.mileage wise swift is way far ahead of all the three.that doesnt mean that swift is under powered.one more adv is that extended waranty of swift diesel is same as that of petrol variant.means less investment for long term peace of mind.getz has more space than swift.swift looks more modern of the two.
nothing more to diff the two.
ram
Old 1st December 2007, 09:49   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Considering the budget limit of 6L, Getz would be ruled out. Between the Indica & the Swift, the Swift would score on refinement. Take your pick.
Old 1st December 2007, 11:16   #4
BHPian

Good post with most parameters clearly defined. 2k permonth is a lot of driving! I believe the things to keep in mind are FE, reliability, comfort and lastly the Budget

Here is short compario

FE

1 Swift
2 Indica
3 Getz

Reliability (Spare parts, breakdown, general built quality)

1 Getz
2 Swift
3 Indica

Comfort (For long drives and features - this is a very subjetive topic!)

1 Indica
2 Getz
3 Swift

Budget

Indica or Swift (Getz is expensive!!)

I have tried to be as generic as possible, but still it is subjective.

On TBHP we have lovers of all three so don't discount the test drives!! the best possible way is to spend a day test driving all the three vehicles and getting a first hand feel of things.

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 1st December 2007 at 11:18.
Old 1st December 2007, 11:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

On paper, the GETZ CRDI sounds really powerful. But, dont know really how it performs in real conditions. SwiftD is proven and much loved car on this forum but is really cramped and has several rattle issues. Indica is a good car but no brand value.

I think you should consider Renault Logan and Indigo TDI as well in your list of shortlisted cars
Old 1st December 2007, 13:19   #6
BHPian

Hi corsalove,

Is there any specific reason why you are ruling out a three box car? You have following two options as already indicated by fellow members:

a) Logan DLE
OTR Pune is 6.02 Lacs. I have test driven it. It has a refined engine and a good torque. Spacious and probably has best FE amongst all diesel cars in India. Go for it if you can put up with its boxy looks and UGLY interiors.

b) Indigo LX
OTR, Pune is approx 5.75 Lacs. Tatas have come up with a good scheme of upto 50k discount on all products to celebrate its millionth car roll out. I saw the advert in today's newspaper. IMO, a good VFM sedan and you can save almost 70k/80k from your budget of 6 Lacs.

As for the hatch segment you have already mentioned your options

a) Getz
Can't comment, but will probably exceed your budget

b) Swift
OTR, Pune, 5.65 Lacs. IMO, the best pick if you want to go for a hatch. The only disadvantages as pointed in numerous threads on TBHP are:
i) Cramped rear seat an small boot (but that is not an issue with you, going by your post)
ii) Visibility
iii) Tyre upgrade needed as you drive more on highways

c) Indica Turbo
I have been driving Indica for last 6 years and can vouch that its a real VFM car. Turbo version is more refined than its regular counterpart. The best part is that with current discounts on TATA product you can shave off almost 2 lacs from your budget! The only hitch is that the new Indica X1 with Fiat 1.3 MJD is expected in first half of 2008. You don't want to spend 4 Lacs on a car only to think that you could have waited for half a year more and bought a better car, would you?

My verdict :

a) Hatch segment : Swift VDi (with ABS - 25k extra)
b) Sedan : Indigo LX

Hope that helps. All the best and let us know your decision.
Old 3rd December 2007, 20:49   #7
BHPian

Thanks guys for all your feedback. THanks CAat and Elito for your drill downs on each car. This weekend i tried to get my hands on each of the cars above and i've given my feedback below:

Swift Diesel: Good car to drive, But as many of you indicated, there is a visibility problen with it and my wife would never drive it. Also im not so sure if the test Car with the dealer (bimal, bangalore) was faulty or what but there was a lot of vibration in it and it was annoying me. The best part which made me rule out this car was a 7 MONTH WAITING PERIOD..considering that i have to purchase the new car in Jan.

Getz CRDI: None of the dealers have a test drive car (but they have the price sheet for it

Indica Turbo DLX: THis was good and i loved the test. I have driven the car before (one of my friends) but the new one feels more refined. Also, there is no waiting for it(except black color which has a 20 day waiting with Concorde Motors) Overall i feel this would fit my budget well and give me that extra leverage to go in for music system and accesories)

And CAat, i did consider the logan and the indigo, first of all, the logan was too bland for me and one look at it and i could not make up my mind to even check the price. The indigo was good according to the reviews similar to yours but my wife did not want it (woman, you can help it. Just dont know why??????)

I have narrowed down on the Indica Turbo Dlx and think will go for it. But never know i might get a better idea in this 25 days to come..But anyways i will keep you guys informed about it and will let you know once finalized(with some pictures of what i bought maybe) vbmenu_register("postmenu_643378", true);
Old 4th December 2007, 08:41   #8
BHPian

I would be feeling bad if you go for Indica Turbo and end up buying a old generation engine/vehicle which is on the verge of replacement.

If you look for VFM as many spoke on this forum Swift diesel is the best bet. It really scores on money,FE front. Engine is most optimum of city usage and good on highways too. But on the flip side, is the cramped space,poor ride quality and built quality and some ergonomics like visibility,lack of tilt steering,flexible rear seats etc.

If you can stretch upto 6.8 lakhs(Bangalore) you can go for Getz CRDi.
The only flip side of this car is buying price which is relatively more than than its rival Swift diesel. Otherwise car is very good in almost all parameters. FE may be 1-2km less compared to Swift.

I am getting delivery of Getz CRDi by this weekend. I think delivery time now is 2 months.

If you are OK with the looks, I think Logan diesel is also a good choice.

Above is may be a repeat of what BHP friends have said already. Its my take on your query.

cheers
Anju
Old 29th April 2008, 21:18   #9
BHPian

Help Again!!!

Hi Guys,

After a lot of delays (from Jan)and eagerly waiting for the right time to buy my new ride, I am back to square one.

Narrowed down on Tata Indica Dicor (for the VFM and great FE that it offers)

PLease help me out if I'm making the right choice in going for this model. With time the budget also has decreased (due to a new house bought in Kormangala )

Bangalore guys would know my pain now. I'm thinking of this car as it would be within the 4-5 Lakhs priceline.

Some of my queries are:

1) Should I wait for the new look Indica (which was supposed to be launched in the 2nd quarter 08)
2) Are there any known problems with the Dicor which might possibly change my mind (a lil help from the Dicor Owners)?
3) Are there any other cars in this range worth considering?
4) ON the other hand - Any inputs for a car that would be good on highways and superb to drive in city would attract my attention?

As indicated earlier, I would have lot of long drives in my new car (atleast 1.5k km per month)

Look forward to your suggestions!!
Old 29th April 2008, 22:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Hi Guys,

After a lot of delays (from Jan)and eagerly waiting for the right time to buy my new ride, I am back to square one.

Narrowed down on Tata Indica Dicor (for the VFM and great FE that it offers)

PLease help me out if I'm making the right choice in going for this model. With time the budget also has decreased (due to a new house bought in Kormangala )

Bangalore guys would know my pain now. I'm thinking of this car as it would be within the 4-5 Lakhs priceline.

Some of my queries are:

1) Should I wait for the new look Indica (which was supposed to be launched in the 2nd quarter 08)
2) Are there any known problems with the Dicor which might possibly change my mind (a lil help from the Dicor Owners)?
3) Are there any other cars in this range worth considering?
4) ON the other hand - Any inputs for a car that would be good on highways and superb to drive in city would attract my attention?

As indicated earlier, I would have lot of long drives in my new car (atleast 1.5k km per month)

Look forward to your suggestions!!

Gautam wait for the New Indica. We hope it comes around July'08 as mentioned by various rumours. You can give a shot at the Indica MJD.
P.S: why you aint opting for the Swift Ldi or the VDI. Trust me it will be more reliable than a Tata anyday!
Old 29th April 2008, 22:55   #11
BHPian

Karan - Thanks for the suggestion. I too was thinking about waiting for the new one but running out of time. Hope i can wait that long.

Answering your query about the Swift, i dont like the visibility the swift has to offer, even my wife finds it very tough to drive so i decided to take it off my list. But i'm trying to take a TD of the Palio MJD.
Old 29th April 2008, 23:04   #12
BHPian

If you are driving yourself and not using the back seat much and are concerned about balance between power and milage go for the Swift. If you are concerned about back seat comfort more, then may be Indica Turbo or the Getz is a good choice. If you buy a Swift go for the VDI ABS variant. Any car whether Swift, Getz or Indica upgrade the tyres with 185 width minimum. Rest is upto you make your own decision based on the price cos the difference in price of the three vehicles is quite a bit.
Old 30th April 2008, 08:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mods please change the thread title to Swift VDi
Old 9th July 2008, 21:01   #14
BHPian

After a long time since we thought of getting a new car, we finally decided on a hatch against a big car and planned on selecting one from the following: My budget is 5Lacks max (no give and take)

Hyundai Getz 1.1 GVS
Chevy U-VA 1.2 LS

I test drove both these cars in the last two days and kind of liked the Getz in terms of driving, space, pricing, offers and ***.

I'm deciding this week and have to get the car by next weekend.

Getz - There is Offer of 15k discount + 5K for the tape which i dont want + mud flaps and mats (as usual).

U-VA - Tape (3.5k worth) + 10K discount or 3 year free service contract.

Is there anything I have to think of before going ahead with the Getz?? (Cons).

Please let me know your suggestions at the earliest!!!
Old 9th July 2008, 21:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

give the palio 1.3 MJD a chance as well

When I bought my Indica Turbo last year, I had the same doubts. Heck, the manual I got was a dicor/turbo indica manual. Though the Dicor is a better car, I'm quite happy with what I have.

For someone with a substantial running , why go the petrol way all of a sudden? I'm sure the recent price hikes ( and the imminent ones) should change your mind ....

Last edited by greenhorn : 9th July 2008 at 21:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks