Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2011, 00:53   #91
BHPian

Re: Car within 4.5Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~VinZ~~ View Post
Ford Figo Duratec Petrol ZXI 1.2 (i love the white color on Figo)
  • Maruti Suzuki Ritz Vxi BS-IV (For tall boys and yeah i do not hate the rear design)
  • Tata Indica Vista GLX Safire65 (have never driven one but it is reliable)
  • Chevrolet Beat LT Petrol (I love the design and my father did not dislike too)
  • Chevrolet Spark LT Opt with Airbag (I will get full option with ABS, airbag and if i pay 14k more then father do not have to think of service too)
What say? And any other suggestions or options greatly entertained. Thank You!!
Suggest you go for the Safire65. Low maintenance till 20 - 30 K(free if you opt for the top end version with TMS - Total Maintenance Service). Back seat comfort is best in class with Acres of leg space even with the driver seat pushed back fully (which even with a 6 foot frame like mine is not required).
Beat and Spark both lack rear seat comfort and interior space, however are excellent city cars. The Ritz, if you are ok with the quirky design is a good option as well.
You could also look at getting a used Manza or Logan. You could get a diesel for this price, and loooking at the petrol price stupidity it could be a good deal.

All said, I will root for the Vista Safire65, and that is from the horses mouth.
Old 12th February 2012, 20:51   #92
BHPian

Sorry to bump this thread..But my requirements are the same ( a hatch under 4.5 lac )

My monthly run will be approx 600 km. So a petrol hatch is what comes to my mind. I have narrowed it down to A-Star and i10 Magna (Kappa). I was thinking of getting an A-Star for the following reasons.

1. I dont like tallboys which the i10 is.
2. A-Star returns a better mileage and the Vxi is some 30k less than the i10 magna I guess? ( For that I could get a decent ICE and some saving on petrol )
3. I really don't care about boot space since it will be me alone or +2 for most of the time.

Things that makes me think twice about A-Star
1. Poor monthly sales compared to other cars in MUL Stable.
2. I was hoping to keep the car for 4 years and then sell it. So I am worried about the resale value the A-Star will return (Imagine the petrol prices in 4 years from now ).

What should I go for guys?

PS : Alto K10 is ruled out from the family
Old 13th February 2012, 10:19   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Sorry to bump this thread..But my requirements are the same ( a hatch under 4.5 lac )
My monthly run will be approx 600 km. So a petrol hatch is what comes to my mind. I have narrowed it down to A-Star and i10 Magna (Kappa).

Did you check the Eon and the Brio (Base)? I would recommend trying that instead of the A-Star. Since you dont like tall boys, I guess Wagon R is out.
Old 13th February 2012, 10:27   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Did you check the Eon and the Brio (Base)?
I feel the Eon would be too underpowered as I would like to get a FTD hatch. I think the Brio has a long waiting period here in Trivandrum. Also why would you not recommend an A-Star?
Old 13th February 2012, 10:49   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel the Eon would be too underpowered as I would like to get a FTD hatch. I think the Brio has a long waiting period here in Trivandrum. Also why would you not recommend an A-Star?
Well, I felt the driving position to be very upright in A-Star and the lack of rear seating space was bothersome. Yes, you are right that Eon will be underpowered, but do note that its lighter than the A-Star by almost 180kgs. So if my calculations are correct, the Eon would produce almost 77bhp per tonne and the A-star would produce almost 74bhp per tonne. Also, Eon is cheaper

Please do test drive all the three, and if you are comfortable and happy in the A-Star, go for it

Last edited by _raVan_ : 13th February 2012 at 10:52.
Old 13th February 2012, 10:59   #96
BHPian

eyesice- Even i10 will depreciate very fast. Its my personal experience.

Last edited by rki2007 : 13th February 2012 at 11:00.
Old 13th February 2012, 11:03   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Why don't you consider i10 1.1 ? It even comes with an LPG variant. Running cost on LPG would be lesser as compared to petrol.

What about Chevrolet Spark and Beat ? Do take a TD of these too.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 13:00   #98
Senior - BHPian

Of all the cars under 4.5L, only the Alto K10 is a fun to drive car, so if you want a super performer, try and convince the family.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 13:19   #99
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Things that makes me think twice about A-Star
1. Poor monthly sales compared to other cars in MUL Stable.
2. I was hoping to keep the car for 4 years and then sell it. So I am worried about the resale value the A-Star will return (Imagine the petrol prices in 4 years from now ).

PS : Alto K10 is ruled out from the family
(1) and (2) are inter-related. Poor monthly sales generally implies poor resale value. But when you are paying only Rs. 4.5 Lacs, how much will you lose at the most on a Maruti when compared to some other model? At the max 30 or 40K. If you like A-star, that's not such a big price to pay over your ownership period.

And hey, who knows. Maruti cars suddenly pick up buyers' fancy and become hot selling models over a period of time. Eg: Wagon R (old gen). It hardly used to register sales numbers when it was launched. But before the new Wagon R was launched, the old one was selling close to 8,000 - 10,000 units per month.

A-star has enough qualities to become a top 10 selling car in the future because of fickle buyer preferences - you'll never know.
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 14:34   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Why don't you consider i10 1.1 ? It even comes with an LPG variant. Running cost on LPG would be lesser as compared to petrol.
Rohan
I would really love to drive a petrol hatch. So not looking at LPG / CNG at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Of all the cars under 4.5L, only the Alto K10 is a fun to drive car, so if you want a super performer, try and convince the family.
Makes me think about the K10 again .But everybody in the house thinks it's a car from the 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
(1) and (2) are inter-related. Poor monthly sales generally implies poor resale value. But when you are paying only Rs. 4.5 Lacs, how much will you lose at the most on a Maruti when compared to some other model? At the max 30 or 40K. If you like A-star, that's not such a big price to pay over your ownership period.

And hey, who knows. Maruti cars suddenly pick up buyers' fancy and become hot selling models over a period of time. Eg: Wagon R (old gen). It hardly used to register sales numbers when it was launched. But before the new Wagon R was launched, the old one was selling close to 8,000 - 10,000 units per month.

A-star has enough qualities to become a top 10 selling car in the future because of fickle buyer preferences - you'll never know.
Your comment gives me more confidence to go for the A-Star!
Old 13th February 2012, 16:08   #101
anb
BHPian

Interiors of A-star is very cramped and boot space is very less. This is the reason for A-star's low sales Volume. If you intended to use it as a personal car which is fun to drive, A-star is a very good choice. A-star is not a good family car. Another option is Honda Brio. Sadly due to Thailand floods , brio has a very long waiting period.
Old 13th February 2012, 16:31   #102
BHPian

May I suggest VW Polo Trendline Petrol? A very good car, & if dealer has 2011 stock, you'll get very good deals on that & should be in your budget. You can also bargain for Corp discount in case you work for some large co. & try to buy insurance from outside. Will save you a few thousand Rs on that also.

It's way above the cars you've listed in terms of build quality & driving pleasure. Take your pick.
Old 13th February 2012, 17:50   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Sadly due to Thailand floods , brio has a very long waiting period.
Just checked with Honda here in Trivandrum. They say the TD vehicle will be available in a couple of days and one can get the car in 30 days max. OTR for base model is 4.4L here.
Old 13th February 2012, 19:44   #104
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked with Honda here in Trivandrum. They say the TD vehicle will be available in a couple of days and one can get the car in 30 days max. OTR for base model is 4.4L here.
That is very interesting. Zero Honda Brio's shipped in January (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...r-sales-9.html). If Brio is available , it will be the best car for you. Brio has Jazz's 1.2 VTEC motor which is almost as quick as 1.2 Kappa even though the low RPM responses not as good as kappa .Fuel efficiency is better than kappa. Brio has a better engine, more space, better quality interiors and handles well compared to A-star. I'd suggest you to buy Brio.
Old 13th February 2012, 20:02   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Your Honda salesman is taking you for a ride. If you book Brio with him, he gets a bonus from his dealer regardless of whether you end up buying the car or cancelling the booking. The production of Jazz and Brio will be resumed in March. After clearing tonnes of backlog of bookings (my friend has been waiting for his Jazz for last 6 months), you will get your chance.

So my advice is that if you have a budget of 4.5 lac and have great patience then forget cheap and compromised 1L 3cyl cars like K10 and Alto. Buy a Honda Brio! It suits you the best and your family will applaud you for buying a Honda.

If you can't wait long enough then please at least stay away from cheap end cars. Buy better cars like Hyundai i10 (it's not a tall boy car! TD one and you will see that it's a proper car with tall boy looks), Ford Figo (a complete overall package) or Chevy Beat (suits youngsters like you best). All three of them have 1.2L 4cyl engine and have NCAP safety rating of 4 stars. All three of them are a segment higher than cheap-y K10 and A-Star.

Which one is best for you? TD every candidate car! No amount of reading threads on T-BHP is going to help you in deciding your car. Hope this clears up your confusion for once and all.

Edit: Regarding resale value

Regardless of which car you pick, resale value will hardly differ since petrol cars are destined for doom in 2nd hand market in next 4 years.

Last edited by DevilsCry : 13th February 2012 at 20:08. Reason: Adding edit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks