Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 01:39   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Best or worst is all in ones perspective, and as they say there is no one perfect car, otherwise why would a modification section have so many posts

you are absolutely right jaggu bhai but then paying 5.4Lacs for a diesel Swift LDi and not even getting the basic things for is real pain and it hurts to see swift in this kind of discussion for best car!
Old 24th June 2008, 05:46   #47
BHPian

**** This is strictly a personal opinion and experience and in no way should be considered as an offense ****

Bought a Swift Zxi on 21st August 2007. The first car of my life. I fell love with this baby due to its sheer looks. Lot of people said that they have become too common on the roads (this was last year) but that didnt deter my decision to buy one. If i wanted something which wasnt common i would get a custom made car. Personally, i would rather chose a car myself than let someone else chose it and then feel sorry for buying it, it's my decision and i will standby it.

Firstly, as others have said it, every car has its pros and cons. You need to test drive the car and figure out if you like it. I found the Swift to have sufficient power to drive through the city traffic madness with ease. It can also speed up very smoothly on highways. The maintenance aint that high. Engine Oil-900Rs(Maruti Prescribed - Servo), Labour Cost, Washing and other Miscellanous stuff shouldnt go beyond another 600-700Rs. On an average i spend less than 1500-1700Rs on every service considering there are no replacements required. Once you buy a car, its your responsibility to take care of it and drive properly. No point in blaming the roads and still go at 80s 90s over them, wont help. And this baby definitely has good FE, i get about 14kmpl in city with A/C and around 17-18kmpl on highways. There are times when you might feel the low end torque is not enough, talk to the guys before getting it serviced and they will fix it. Good handling at high speeds and less turning radius is an added advantage in city driving.

Leg space - I am 6'2 and i have good amount of leg space while i am driving. I didnt change the adjustment and asked my dad to drive and found that there is good amount of space at the rear too(not as big as the larger ones, but yes considering hatcbacks better than the rest). Moreover the thigh support on both the front and rear are much better compared to other hatchbacks i test drove (Getz, Santro, i10, Fabia)

There were never any rattling issues as most people complained. It had been a known issue with Swift under MUL but they have rectified it since July 2007 manufacturing batch. If you drive over rough patches a lot carelessly, ofcourse it will develop rattling noise. It shouldnt cause much concern since most of us listen to music while driving. Otherwise the only drawback was the buil quality of the plastics. I wish MUL can somehow pull themselves up to higher standards for interiors.

Pros:
Good FE
Powerfull Engine and Smooth at it too
Low Maintenance
Decent leg space for taller people
Ease of finding someone to service it.

Cons:
Build quality of plastics.
Too many on the road(as some of them prefer to have unique ones)

All in all a good car in that segment. There's always something better at the end of the road. Remember the decision is yours, no matter what one says.
Old 24th June 2008, 08:33   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60
but then paying 5.4Lacs for a diesel Swift LDi and not even getting the basic things for is real pain and it hurts to see swift in this kind of discussion for best car!
Well, why doesn't the market just reject the car as not VFM enough ? ie. don't buy the car at that price-point if one thinks that it does not have the stuff to match the price. But given the huge waiting period we see for the LDi/VDi, it appears like people do find it more than VFM.
Old 24th June 2008, 08:51   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
you are absolutely right jaggu bhai but then paying 5.4Lacs for a diesel Swift LDi and not even getting the basic things for is real pain
You'll be surprised how many people opt for the LDi version, as they feel the basic things we have mentioned here are 'luxuries'
There are people who think even power windows in ac cars is a luxury as it wont be used much anyways!
Old 24th June 2008, 13:09   #50
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2008 at 11:11.
Ajay_J is offline   Received Infraction
Old 24th June 2008, 19:44   #51
BHPian

I got my Swift Vxi in the first week of May, and trust me guys, sometimes i count hours in the office before i get behind the wheels again

My impression after around 1.5 months are -

1. Absolutely awesome to drive on the Highway (Have done 3 Mumbai - Pune Jaunts since then)

2. Great handling and superb front seats .

3. Low Noise levels.

4. Super smooth Gearshift

5. Have not had any rattling issue so far. My two bits on the rattling issue - "If you already know the result, you can modify the experiment to obtain the result" . Once you are convinced there is a rattle in your car, any small noise will seem like a rattle. It is a function of how you drive as well. While earlier batches of Swift may have had rattling issues, I have not experienced them in the Swifts i have known.

6. Low RPM throttle response is low and sometimes you do wish for that extra zing

7. Rear Visibility could have been better. But its not a show stopper.

8. FE of around 12 in city with AC on all time

Above all, a tremendous FEEL GOOD factor when i see my SWift . And i guess, at the end of the day, it counts for a lot .

My suggestion is to go for Swift. You will not go wrong with it.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:09   #52
BHPian

I get the exact same feeling!Cant wait to get behind the wheels.Even i say go for swift.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:45   #53
BHPian

For me, swift is the Best Car in its segment(Considering the front space/ergonomics,engine power,pickup) excluding rear seat comfort(If driver is taller).Ofcourse, my car is also added to the rattle free swift category(so-far )

For Rear seat comfort , Getz1.3 / Palio1.6 are the better choices if one need both Driver's Car and comfort compromising fuel efficiency
Old 24th June 2008, 23:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Well, why doesn't the market just reject the car as not VFM enough ? ie. don't buy the car at that price-point if one thinks that it does not have the stuff to match the price. But given the huge waiting period we see for the LDi/VDi, it appears like people do find it more than VFM.
well we dont really have a good option in that segment with a good A.S.S. and a car that has good resale, but some how i feel this has become like the pulsar discussion remember the thread on the is pulsar any model worth buying?

a little better quality will surely make maruthi the best but then they just want to sell is exactly how this looks to me.

PS: no offenses meant.
Old 25th June 2008, 00:42   #55
Senior - BHPian

LOL about the Pulsar thread, Rider. It used to be the same story in 2005-2006, all bikes had their plusses and minuses, but in the end the Pulsar seemed to be the best package. Mine has served me very well, though.

Quote:
well we dont really have a good option in that segment with a good A.S.S. and a car that has good resale, but some how i feel this has become like the pulsar discussion remember the thread on the is pulsar any model worth buying?
Old 25th June 2008, 07:40   #56
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th June 2008 at 11:11.
Swiftron is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th June 2008, 09:09   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60
well we dont really have a good option in that segment with a good A.S.S. and a car that has good resale,
Your statement seems to imply that the Swift is the best bet in the segment, if not the best of all available choices. No wonder it sells like hotcakes (both petrol and diesel), inspite of the rattles.

Everyone is pissed off at Suzuki for the Swift's supposedly cheaper interiors (I find it OK), rattles, less rear space, etc. But when the competitors offer cars that take care of these issues (eg. Getz), no one buys them and instead prefers the Swift itself, even to the extent of waiting for months for the car. Because while we want the extras, we don't wanna pay extra.
Old 25th June 2008, 14:45   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Your statement seems to imply that the Swift is the best bet in the segment, if not the best of all available choices. No wonder it sells like hotcakes (both petrol and diesel), inspite of the rattles.

Everyone is pissed off at Suzuki for the Swift's supposedly cheaper interiors (I find it OK), rattles, less rear space, etc. But when the competitors offer cars that take care of these issues (eg. Getz), no one buys them and instead prefers the Swift itself, even to the extent of waiting for months for the car. Because while we want the extras, we don't wanna pay extra.

bet you are right its the "best bet" not best car, there is just no other option. and like you said i am in that every one who is truly pissed off with maruthi for the same reasons.

Last edited by rider60 : 25th June 2008 at 14:46.
Old 25th June 2008, 15:21   #59
BHPian

And that is what sums up the argument for me. At every price point, in every segment, there will be a car which while not the best in all aspects will be a "Jack of all trades" , a "Best bet" and that is what will find the most buyers. Same is the case with Honda city and Now same is the case with SX4 also.

Quote:
bet you are right its the "best bet" not best car, there is just no other option. and like you said i am in that every one who is truly pissed off with maruthi for the same reasons.
Old 25th June 2008, 22:10   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And that is what sums up the argument for me. At every price point, in every segment, there will be a car which while not the best in all aspects will be a "Jack of all trades" , a "Best bet" and that is what will find the most buyers.
I totally agree .As already pointed out earlier, no car is perfect. I booked my VXI a couple of weeks back and am eagerly waiting for delivery.
But then that doesnt mean i endorse the view that its the best car in the segment. Because each person has his/her own opinion of what their ideal car would be and his/her definition of 'best'. So noone can tell you what car you should buy(no, not even Team-BHP, with its infinite wisdom. Others can just offer advice or data, its YOUR decision). So take a test drive and choose the car that you like/feel happy with and that car will be the best for you. But the vast majority of indians seem to feel this way way about the Swift, given the number of them you see around on roads

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks