Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2008, 12:26   #1
BHPian

Swift- Is it the best car in it's segment?

Hi guys!
It's about time when my 2001 palio is put up for sale on the open market. An excellent car which given me a lot of cherished memories, right from my first date with my wife to the day when I pushed it for over a mile cuz of no fuel in it . This scenario brings me to the question, which car should replace this beauty. Already have the NHC, so the choice would have to be made in the small car segment.

Out of all the small cars that exsist in the petrol segement, is swift VXi really the best choice or am I missing out on something better in the same price bracket. For the price tag that it carries in NCR (around 5.5), it does boast of ABS and Airbags, which is not a bad option to have in any car.
Reason for narrowing down on the swift
1. Maruti. Can be repaired anywhere anytime, unlike the palio. ( The merger with TATA ain't any benefial either)
2. Good safety features
3. Good FE
4. Although, not the best looking, but is considered the best selling car, which could mean good re-sale value at a later time
5. Good leg-space for someone like me who's 6'1"
6. Blah! Blah! Blah!

I heard something about the engine change in the swift. Has that happened yet or is due soon? Also, would buying the swift now be a better deal or should I wait till diwali?
Would Appreciate if you could share your knowledge.
Thanks
M2S
P.S.: Is getz worth the effort?
Old 17th June 2008, 13:50   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
Out of all the small cars that exsist in the petrol segement, is swift VXi really the best choice or am I missing out on something better in the same price bracket. For the price tag that it carries in NCR (around 5.5), it does boast of ABS and Airbags
AFAIK- Swift VXi only comes with ABS as option. Its the ZXi version that comes with airbags.

IMO, the best choice in the segment is Swift VDi with ABS. But then, if you running is less, not much sense is going for a diesel. However, this one is a marvel in itself. I would rate it better fun to drive than the petrol!
Quote:
1. Maruti. Can be repaired anywhere anytime, unlike the palio. ( The merger with TATA ain't any benefial either)
2. Good safety features
3. Good FE
4. Although, not the best looking, but is considered the best selling car, which could mean good re-sale value at a later time
6. Blah! Blah! Blah!
Meets all your requirements except 5. It has very good space in the front, however, rear seat space is not good enough for 6'1". Do you regularly use the rear seats?
Quote:
Has that happened yet or is due soon?
Don't think that will happen anytime soon. Swift was supposed to get M-series engines. But all that ended up as rumours!
Quote:
P.S.: Is getz worth the effort?
The 110 bhp CRDi version sure is! (No ABS/airbags though )

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th June 2008 at 13:52.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:00   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The Swift sells like it does primarily due to its VFM prospective. Then there're the quintessential Maruti traits of low runnings costs, good FE, resale value and a deeply entrenched service network.

I'm not sure that it can be classified as the "best car" in its segment, since that definition would be subjective.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys!

2. Good safety features
3. Good FE
6. Blah! Blah! Blah!

Getz has all of these but then current Getz looks and feels dated. Wait for i20 and then compare.

You haven't mentioned if power/speed is important to you, even though your user handle (and signature) makes an emphatic point, for buying a small car. If so, swift is better bet because Getz CRDi does not have ABS & Airbags.
Old 17th June 2008, 14:25   #5
BHPian

Swift clearly is vfm and I would love to see a zdi version of the Swift ddis
Old 17th June 2008, 14:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Swift mainly sold because of VFM. Its got excellent engine, A** , Looks, features . Rattles, rear legroom , build quality are the only negatives according to me. Swift will mostly get the next generation M series engine by next year beginning. I don see any other changes in Swift apart from that. Though i wish it does get the ZDI .

Getz will be soon replaced by i20. So i would advice you to stay away from it as of now. If you can wait do give a look at the i20 too.
Old 17th June 2008, 15:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Out of all the small cars that exsist in the petrol segement, is swift VXi really the best choice or am I missing out on something better in the same price bracket. For the price tag that it carries in NCR (around 5.5), it does boast of ABS and Airbags, which is not a bad option to have in any car.
Reason for narrowing down on the swift
2. Good safety features
3. Good FE
6. Blah! Blah! Blah!
For Sl Nos: 1, 4 & 6 is Ok with your points.
For Sl No.2: This comes only in ZDI (currently not vailable) and ZXi models.
For Sl No.3: The DDis has the better FE than its petrol counterparts.
For Sl No.5: For 6'1": This car is not advisable as the leg space is not OK for your height.

Engine change in Swift will take some more time. Currently, swift sell in premium i.e., you always have the bookings for that vehicle. This shows that this vehicle is moving quite good in market. But you need to be prepared with some niggling issues like rattling, poor quality of plastics etc. Yes, you may get a better deal during festive season.

As far as Getz is concerned, the CRDi model has the all teh points you are looking for.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:02   #8
BHPian

I get an average FE of 12 kmpl on my Swift in Hyderabad city conditions. I once got 18 kmpl on the highway. The turning radius is ideal for city conditions. Low end grunt is a negative though.

The Zxi version comes with airbags, climate control, central locking, keyless entry, alloys and wider tyres. The new Swift has audio controls on the steering as well as tilt steering.
Old 17th June 2008, 16:05   #9
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
AFAIK- Swift VXi only comes with ABS as option. Its the ZXi version that comes with airbags.
Oops! Sorry. Was referring to the Zxi(Top end model). Would not mind spending money for the airbags and the ABS, especially the ABS.

Quote:
IMO, the best choice in the segment is Swift VDi with ABS. But then, if you running is less, not much sense is going for a diesel. However, this one is a marvel in itself. I would rate it better fun to drive than the petrol!
Hmmm, this is a question that I can't get an answer to if I were to ask myself. Every second day, the NHC gulps around fuel worth 500 bucks and travels around approx 100Km's a but then, there are days when it barely covers 20Km's a day. To add to this, I guess i'm just paranoid with the maintainance aspect of diesel cars over a period of time, so I'm not somehow entirely convinced if diesel is the right answer. The noise is a deterring factor as well over 3 year time period.
Also, there are not good things being said about the swift Diesel in here as well. Have noticed a thread or 2 about the complains in the swift D.
Am I being unreasonable?

Quote:
Meets all your requirements except 5. It has very good space in the front, however, rear seat space is not good enough for 6'1". Do you regularly use the rear seats?
The TD was ok. Considering that it's a small car, it's not bad. If I have to compare the seating comfort with the scorpio, i would put the swift 1 up. (Please, guys this is just a personal opionion based on the driving style. Let's not go to war over this )
As for the rear seats, What are they even there for? Just kidding, but naah! for me, I'd rather walk than sit in the rear seat.

Quote:
Don't think that will happen anytime soon. Swift was supposed to get M-series engines. But all that ended up as rumours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Swift sells like it does primarily due to its VFM prospective. Then there're the quintessential Maruti traits of low runnings costs, good FE, resale value and a deeply entrenched service network.

I'm not sure that it can be classified as the "best car" in its segment, since that definition would be subjective.
Indeed. The swift is a VFM car and I guess I just needed to hear that before I went ahead and brought it.
However, for the sake of insight/perspective, which according to you would be the "best car" and why ?

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Getz has all of these but then current Getz looks and feels dated. Wait for i20 and then compare
Any ideas how long is the wait and what price would it be approx pegged at? Even the swift has a booking period of I guess 1-2 months and considering that we might just end up buying it during diwali, I think I might be able to wait a bit further if it's worth it? Any other new cars being launced at that point of time or within the next 6 months?

[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
For Sl Nos: 1, 4 & 6 is Ok with your points.
For Sl No.2: This comes only in ZDI (currently not vailable) and ZXi models.
For Sl No.3: The DDis has the better FE than its petrol counterparts.
For Sl No.5: For 6'1": This car is not advisable as the leg space is not OK for your height.

Quote:
As far as Getz is concerned, the CRDi model has the all teh points you are looking for.
Thanks

Cheers!
M2S
Old 17th June 2008, 17:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Any ideas how long is the wait and what price would it be approx pegged at? Even the swift has a booking period of I guess 1-2 months and considering that we might just end up buying it during diwali, I think I might be able to wait a bit further if it's worth it? Any other new cars being launced at that point of time or within the next 6 months?

Swift Petrol is available readily in Hyderabad. Max 2 week waiting period at most of the dealer locations. I bought it couple of months back

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th June 2008 at 19:39. Reason: fixed quote
Old 17th June 2008, 19:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

The Swift is a good car and is VFM but, the problem is that it is just that - VFM. Nothing else

The ZXi is a loaded car. It has just about average FE. So if travelling is more than 1000 kms a month then forget it. You have many more options to choose from.

At the budget of around 5.5, you can have the following -

Fabia 1.2 Petrol - Around 6.2 OTR in Gurgaon. Has a waiting period of 15 days. I would drive this if I wanted a hatchback, at least its not so common on the roads as the Swift is. Airbags on all variants.

Getz 1.1 - Around 4.8 Lacs - a good car minus the safety features.

i10 Magna ( O ) - With ABS, Airbags around 5 Lacs - Fantastic Small Car, Better FE than Swift as its a smaller engine. Look no further if this size suits you !!

Swift Diesel - Better than its Petrol Counterpart in terms of Driveability. Amazing FE. The only minus - It rattles a bit.

Getz CRDi - A Road Rocket. Amazing FE & Power in a small & Deadly Package. Again Minus the Safety Features. Around 5.8 OTR in Gurgaon after Discounts.

If you are willing to wait then here are a few upcoming tempting options this year -

Honda Jazz
Maruti A Star
Fiat Grande Punto ( The Most Eagerly Awaited Car of the Year )
Hyundai i20 - It will be stunning to look at and with a Diesel option. Around 6.2 Lacs.

Hope this helps !! Cheers !! Varun

Last edited by vkochar : 17th June 2008 at 19:24.
Old 17th June 2008, 20:08   #12
BANNED

Many people have opined that Swift is VFM. By seeing the number of problems reported in this forum, I wonder is it the Value, For that Money?
Old 17th June 2008, 20:08   #13
BHPian

When is I20 expected? I am planning to buy around Diwali.
Old 17th June 2008, 20:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Swift is not best car! But its good car Its treated as VFM rather than best in its segment. Most of the people buy VFM products rather than quality ones!

Since you need small car as second car and having owned Palio for very long years If you buy Maruti/TATA cars you will feel something is missing ( my personal opinion), the reason you will loose interior space, Build Quality, Ride and Comfort compared with Palio.

For you best of the lot is Spark (for 4 people its good small car with excellant FE), within 4 lacs you can get one. Trust me I use Matiz for city use and Innova for highway use and when there are more than 4 people travel. This is perfect combo for today's trend.

Next comes i10, it matches NHC in interior quality you will be extremely happy with it.

There comes the thought why cant Palio Diesel ? Light on pocket, You will feel you are promoted!

Fabia is true premium hatchback, TD that too and see which you like.

If you buy Swift you need to live with bad build quality hence rattle/sqeek/odd sounds, bit hard suspension. It makes horrible noise in bad roads which disturbs very much. but Swift is backed with MUL and good resale tag. Over all its VFM car. Swift resembles NHC in dimension but inside space is too less except for good front seats.

If you need practical small car I suggest Spark - i10 - Palio Diesel - Fabia.

Spark and i10 can be driven in any sort of heavy traffic easily, even in small roads, very easy to drive.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 17th June 2008, 21:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Many people have opined that Swift is VFM. By seeing the number of problems reported in this forum, I wonder is it the Value, For that Money?
Oh Common Diabloo !! Every car has its -ve's . There are few problems that are there in the Swift. But the good thing is the positives overshadow the negatives. Its surely value for money. Ok Diabloo please list the VFM cars
in that range ! Lets see your views!!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks