Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 12:49   #16
BHPian

Both cars are good in their segment!

Lets make this simple, if you drive more than 40 Km a day, go for diesel.
3-4 yrs down the line, You will end up saving a good amount.
Old 31st July 2008, 13:29   #17
Senior - BHPian

Go for the i10, its very well built and refined. You will feel the difference of driving a modern car.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:20   #18
BHPian

Confusion ???

Well, i am in same situation as Cntl-alt-del. We are looking for hatch right now and our budget is also around 5 Lakhs. my monthly running would be around 800 kms per month (city) and once in couple of months, i would like to take the car out of delhi to mountains (mostly). lets say a trip of around 1000-1500 kms to place. so atleast i am looking for car with adequate power.

I have done the test drive of both Palio MJD and i10 Spotz. I tried Uv-A too but it felt underpowered.

My thoughts are almost similar to OP. we like both but i am somehow wary of the built of i10 in long term. the palio is quite smooth when going on potholed filled roads and the torque for city drive is much much better.
mileage and built quality of another plus.

For i10, interiors and *** are not at all comparable with palio.

Should we try swift petrol ? Swift D has long waiting list.
I would also like to try new indica.......

any suggestions ?
Old 4th August 2008, 23:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

well to both of you. i guess with a running of just around 1k a month. its best you go for the palio 1.6 sports.(now dont kill me for that. but IMO considering what you get and the superb feel and comfort, the interiors are worth to be forgiven)

Otherwise i guess the Kappa would do justice. The logic is simple. You get more equipment and you pay for it only over the years of ownership in fuel charges.
Old 4th August 2008, 23:37   #20
BHPian

If you go for the 1.6 You are sure to become a "Power Hungry" guy.
Trust me no car will satiate you after the 1.6
To add to the confusion I wont say anything else...
Old 5th August 2008, 00:10   #21
BHPian

"Every FIAT is 500% FIAT" all the way.

Its Palio and I won't even open a thread to compare it to any Hyundai. Just rev any hyundai to 5000 rpm and hear the refinement at its worse. It has been in every hyundai ever built and Indigo petrols. My dads santro rattles more than a sumo and sometimes shifts back to neutral from 2nd gear if hits a pothole (because of the jerk and not because anyone shifted it back), can you believe it!

As for Palio, its 500% FIAT cheers: and with the MJD, I have no words! Just want to say that I would have bought a Linea if it was available when I bought my Fiesta. Passion it is, Koreans will take another 5 decades to even get the spelling right...
Old 5th August 2008, 08:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

With over 1000 km run in a month the diesel car gives a better ROI than petrol within a period of 18 months. Go for Diesel you will not regret it.
Old 5th August 2008, 11:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
" My dads santro rattles more than a sumo and sometimes shifts back to neutral from 2nd gear if hits a pothole (because of the jerk and not because anyone shifted it back), can you believe it!
thats not due to the jerk dude its your gear shift throw lever thats wearing off. check it out on a flat surface shifting to 2nd @ approx 50 or 60kmph and you will get to neutral.
Old 5th August 2008, 12:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeps79 View Post
Well, i am in same situation as Cntl-alt-del. We are looking for hatch right now and our budget is also around 5 Lakhs. my monthly running would be around 800 kms per month (city) and once in couple of months, i would like to take the car out of delhi to mountains (mostly). lets say a trip of around 1000-1500 kms to place. so atleast i am looking for car with adequate power.

I have done the test drive of both Palio MJD and i10 Spotz. I tried Uv-A too but it felt underpowered.

My thoughts are almost similar to OP. we like both but i am somehow wary of the built of i10 in long term. the palio is quite smooth when going on potholed filled roads and the torque for city drive is much much better.

any suggestions ?
I guess the waiting period for Swift D has reduced compared to before.
Go for the Palio MJD. Should be perfect for long trips and reliability of a Fiat is known to all.
Old 5th August 2008, 13:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
thats not due to the jerk dude its your gear shift throw lever thats wearing off. check it out on a flat surface shifting to 2nd @ approx 50 or 60kmph and you will get to neutral.
Jr Godzilla, Its just done 32000 kms and mostly driven below 50kmph. Why would it wear out Anyways I'll get it checked at the service center asap.
Old 5th August 2008, 13:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Here is another constraint to help you make the decision,

the i10 is a smaller car so driving it in the traffic of our Hyderabad would be less hectic,

on the other hand the palio it will be a little on the harder side to cut through the traffic, and generally the lady drivers might like the smaller car better in traffic, but yet lose out on the highways, so if its mostly city driving then you can make up your mind based on this,

as for the diesel man thats no problem, just pay on of the fuel pump attends a little tip and they wont hesitate to tank up!

or

you can take one of their numbers and get to know the arrival of the tanker first hand go tank up first, no issues there at all.

EDIT: well personally i think the maintainance cost of both these cars would cost more or less the same for each service, but the diesel engine is more torquey and robust compared to the latter.

Last edited by rider60 : 5th August 2008 at 13:56.
Old 6th August 2008, 21:41   #27
BHPian

Quote:

if you are taking her on long rides and to the mountains, I dont think i10 is a good choice. If you take passengers in the rear, think of their condition at the end of the trip!

Quote:

any suggestions ?
Swift Petrol is good but has lesser FE compared to i10. enough has been said about the rear seat. I have ruled out Swift D (and Dzire) with a heavy heart only because of the insane waiting period.

New Indica is still a few months away. If you can wait for it, I think it would be a good deal too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselfan
With over 1000 km run in a month the diesel car gives a better ROI than petrol within a period of 18 months. Go for Diesel you will not regret it
i already drive a diesel indica, so I dont have any problems with diesel! I was only toying with an idea for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja
I guess the waiting period for Swift D has reduced compared to before.
not so much. In hyderabad as of now, its 3-4 months for VDI-ABS. you are correct in the sense that its come down from 4-5 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60
...the palio it will be a little on the harder side to cut through the traffic, and generally the lady drivers might like the smaller car better in traffic
my wife actually loved the drivability and torque of the MJD. she is quite an expert in driving the Indica (including reversing looking only at the three rear view mirrors!) so size is not an issue here.

finally, it looks like I might lean towards the MJD and my wife likes it too. but selling my indica is taking a little more time - the buyer who approached me wants some time to arrange cash. I will book the palio only after getting the cash so there is a delay. I am ok with the delay because if I approach the dealers closer to the month end, I have a better chance of getting a good deal on extras (month end sales target and all that!).

in the meantime my only fear is that my wife might get swayed by the anti-fiat brigade at her work place (especially her friend who drives a Swift VDI - he has a bad opinion of Fiat). to thwart this I am constantly singing praises of MJD, talking about the 'new' Fiat and even showed her threads from this forum! wish me all the best!
Old 7th August 2008, 01:09   #28
BHPian

exactly.
I mean you can't compare apples with oranges.
Some may like the swift, some may go for the Palio.
Personally i too belong to the latter kind.
Fiats age slowly , that is a big plus i see in them.
Old 7th August 2008, 01:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

here is another to add as a + for you, the swift has kind of never ending waiting period compared to the MJD, and the swift has rattles rather the previous versions did and the build is not on par!

hope it helps.
Old 7th August 2008, 07:28   #30
BHPian

MJD is better VFM comapred to i10 Kappa in my opinion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks