Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:45   #1
BHPian

AVEO U-VA - how good is it really??

Hey guys..
i've been really musing a lot as to which hatchback to buy... My budget is about 4 lacs... Basically had a lot of options, but i've narrowed it down to the i10 and the UVA...
i struck the swift off the list because of the HUGE waiting periods in Chandigarh and also that it's too common.. (although to be honest, i love the swift but folks don't like it one bit... :/ )
anyways!!
i would just like to clear some doubts i have about the U-VA...

1) Is the performance abysmal?? because a friend o mine has it, and he keeps on complaining about the lag when the a/c is turned on... It's too cold for me to try!! :P

2) The Gearshift - a lot of automotive magazines claim that the gearbox is a major downfall for the u-va.. and that it's really very tough to engage gears.
is this true?? wat is the extent of problems regarding the gearbox?? does it affect performance in any way?? can it be corrected??

3) Will the next-gen Aveo U-va (or Aveo5) be heading Indian shores any time soon?? and would it be advisable to wait??

If these issues are sorted out, i have no objection buying the u-va! else i would have to go for the i10, which i'm not too keen about.. (personal opinion, mainly due to lack of much customization possibilities and space)

meanwhile would just like to share some awesome pics of the U-VA!!

in fact, another reason y i'm keen on the u-va is that it does have a lot of customization possibilities!! haven't seen any modified u-va yet!! these pics outta open our eyes!!!

P.S. - mods, plz allow this to form a new thread.. earlier also, my thread was deleted.. link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...t-dilemna.html

thanks!!
cheerz
Old 4th December 2008, 10:49   #2
BHPian

The U-VA in the pics is a 3 door. I wonder if the 5 door will look as great. I think the 5 door rear is more tapered. But to each his own.
Old 4th December 2008, 12:17   #3
BHPian

Hi arsenik, there would be pro's and con's of any vehicle, what you need to do is just list them out and then compare, take a drive first as you have said you haven't yet driven it.

My opinion would be to avoid any GM cars, (they are bankrupt now) and all depends on the bailout.

Yes it has gear box issues, I did test drive the car couple of months back, and I felt the same and there was also a serious lag when the A/C was on.

If i'm not wrong I think the OTR price for UVA is much higher than 4Lacs, If i remember I got a quote of about 5L and odd
Old 4th December 2008, 13:39   #4
BHPian

in my test drive, i found the U-Va very sluggish in traffic. very well built package tho.
Old 4th December 2008, 14:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Some observations...

Arsenik,

I had been in the market for a premium hatchback too [owned an Indica before] a while back, now having zeroed down on and booked a Getz 1.3. Let me share with you some observations I'd made from a good test drive of the U-VA.

1. The U-VA is a little sluggish compared to hatchbacks in it's class. I thought it must be a one off case with the 1st TD vehicle i had, so I did another one with another dealer, then realised that the car is truly underpowered [comparatively, only].

2. Interiors are looking a bit ordinary, and/or to a limited extent, outdated. It looks all nice and beautiful on the exterior, but inside, it disappoints a bit.

3. Bootspace is larger compared to Indica and other smaller hatchbacks, but could still be more, considering the car's size.

Of course, I will not deny the car looks a stunner. It's very beautiful and charming. If it was adequately powered, interiors of a better design and quality and a 30-50 ltr additional boot space would have made me one of their customers [Their 3 yrs cashless after-sales ownership offer is also a strong incitement to buy].

I was looking on the top end LT version when I was considering the U-VA [I think LT was the top end, option with ABS and alloys] and I'm not too sure, but you need to check if there is a version of U-VA that you can get for 4 lakhs. You may have a chance if your budget is 4 lakhs for ex-showroom price.

Amongst the i10 and U-VA, I'd rate i10 high for excellent interiors, decent looks and a comfortable 4 seater. Boot space is not a positive of the i10. U-VA, obviously for seating space, exterior looks and the 3 yrs cashless after-sales ownership offer.

A car purchase is a big investment, no matter the budget. Take time and buy one 'YOU' will be happy with. Good luck.

aK

Last edited by k_ajay : 4th December 2008 at 14:33.
Old 4th December 2008, 14:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Hi arsenik, there would be pro's and con's of any vehicle, what you need to do is just list them out and then compare, take a drive first as you have said you haven't yet driven it.

My opinion would be to avoid any GM cars, (they are bankrupt now) and all depends on the bailout.

Yes it has gear box issues, I did test drive the car couple of months back, and I felt the same and there was also a serious lag when the A/C was on.

If i'm not wrong I think the OTR price for UVA is much higher than 4Lacs, If i remember I got a quote of about 5L and odd
You are in Bangie, he is in Chandigarh, therefore there is a huge difference in RTO charges, thus for us the car is about 4.2 Lakh OTR.
Old 4th December 2008, 15:17   #7
BHPian

I don't think so I need to explain how good Chevrolet Aveo U-VA is. Today only I read somewhere that an international organziation that conducts various kinds of surveys on car industry has ranked the Aveo U-VA as number 'One' under premium compact car segment.
Old 4th December 2008, 15:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopano View Post
Today only I read somewhere that an international organziation that conducts various kinds of surveys on car industry has ranked the Aveo U-VA as number 'One' under premium compact car segment.
that means GM as introduced a low spec, low powered version to India, as usual
Old 4th December 2008, 16:00   #9
BHPian

Hi,

As a UVA-owner for the past one year, I would have to say that it's been a pretty VFM ride so far. I went in for the LS edition (OTR being 4.8L, free 1-DIN/fog-lamps and spoilers) last December. If I had to do it all over again, my choice would still be the same.

To address your concerns, the gearstick is a bit stiff at first. I was aware of the issue even before I bought the vehicle, but my own experience on the TD car and my own has been that it gets smoother after a while (around 800 kms on my car) It is not as smooth as the Getz, but I find the whole clutch-gear-movement cycle on the UVA more responsive than on the Getz or the Swift. The TD car, which had about 8000 kms on it at the time, had very smooth transmission itself.

Switching on the AC does pull back on the vehicle, which is why I prefer the blowers at sub-60 speeds. At 60+, I use the fourth gear before switching on the AC, and then gear up to fifth - and this gives me very little lag (but a lag, nonetheless).

As for interiors, the 4.8L OTR price also includes a set of cream leather seat covers that looks gorgeous.

And I haven't really had any problem with the pickup yet - as long as you are in the proper gear (2nd for racing from 20kmph, 3rd for 30, 4th for that sudden spurt at any higher speed - and fifth only when you are already moving at 60+) - the vehicle's quite responsive, and has left its share of Swifts, i10s and sedans in its wake

That's it for now. Let me know if you have any more questions (and to answer an unasked one, the A.S.S is friendly and efficient too)
Old 4th December 2008, 16:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

GM was to bring it with the MJD. Hope they didnt drop that idea/plan. Would have eaten up Tata/Fiat/Suzuki market share (and with that 3 years package thrown in, would have been another story)
Old 4th December 2008, 16:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanopano View Post
Today only I read somewhere that an international organziation that conducts various kinds of surveys on car industry has ranked the Aveo U-VA as number 'One' under premium compact car segment.
UV-A of what land is no.1? Remember that a car which does exceedingly well in global markets may not sell the same here in India.
And hope that the Survey is not another JD kind of thing..

OT: Tis thread should be in the 'What Car' section right?
Old 4th December 2008, 17:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
You are in Bangie, he is in Chandigarh, therefore there is a huge difference in RTO charges, thus for us the car is about 4.2 Lakh OTR.
Holy Cow, Mate Is there so much of a difference in pricing b/w Bangalore and Chandig..? I think its daylight robbery happening here
Old 4th December 2008, 17:31   #13
BHPian

i recently test drove U-VA, its a very good car with low on performance. it performs just adequte to pull the car in city, i tried doing drifting and wheelspin as well, but then every slugish car can do it. However on the other side i found it very comfortable and build quality is also good amogst the other hatches available in market today (Except Fabia, but then you pay for it). Looks are subjective (interiors and exteriors both).

Its a good hatch for decent use in city for a small family.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
GM was to bring it with the MJD. Hope they didnt drop that idea/plan. Would have eaten up Tata/Fiat/Suzuki market share (and with that 3 years package thrown in, would have been another story)
Well as per the rumours the MJD UVA & Aveo is coming. But nobody knows when. I think GM is waiting to give their models a facelift & plonking the MJD.
But i agree with JK , atleast the Uva MJD can eat sales of Swift DDIS/ Indica Vista

When i TD the UVa- I didnt like the gearbox, engine wasnt responsive. Also wasnt impressed with the interiors when you compare it to Getz/Swift .
Old 4th December 2008, 17:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by five46 View Post
UV-A of what land is no.1? Remember that a car which does exceedingly well in global markets may not sell the same here in India.
And hope that the Survey is not another JD kind of thing..

OT: Tis thread should be in the 'What Car' section right?
I agree. If you check the safety ratings from the NCAP rating website, you can see that many of our pricey sedans are far behind the fiat palio. You should see the quality of the product. But most of us are biased to the looks of a car, where the UV-A fails.

Most Viewed