Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2009, 12:07   #16

Thanks everyone for the suggestion ,

its been a month searching for 1.6 here but no luck, new 1.6 stile some how we do not like the rare shape of it .

So the hunt is till on , prirority would be s10 followed by GTX or in the worst case would need to adjust with 1.2 sport .
Old 7th May 2009, 15:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_kalal View Post
Thanks everyone for the suggestion ,

its been a month searching for 1.6 here but no luck, new 1.6 stile some how we do not like the rare shape of it .

So the hunt is till on , prirority would be s10 followed by GTX or in the worst case would need to adjust with 1.2 sport .
I was in exact dilemma as you are now! I started of for a used GTX and S10. TDed 2 S10s but both were badly abused. Other offers came which had done 50k above, not interested for such high run car!

Finally gave good thought and took the plunge for new Palio Stile 1.6 Formula Red and i'm happy with the decision!

But yeah the quality levels of the plastics inside are not that good as it were in retro Palios! Its a VFM car in the price it offers. Rest the power and drive-ability makes up for all the cheap feel

Cheers and good luck for your buy!
Old 11th May 2009, 12:29   #18

Friends , just got a call for 1.6 s10 with 70k kms already done , is it worth giving a look ? and there is another one with 45k which I am going to have a look tomorrow.
Old 11th May 2009, 14:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_kalal View Post
Friends , just got a call for 1.6 s10 with 70k kms already done , is it worth giving a look ? and there is another one with 45k which I am going to have a look tomorrow.
Check both of them out carefully. Low-mileage GTXs, much less S10s, are hard to come by. I saw one GTX which the seller claimed had run only 50K Km (as seen on the odo), but the car indicated it had run 1.5L Km. (The car is dark grey / black GTX and has a AP10 regn. - perhaps a 4110 number).

Another thing to keep in mind is that most GTXs have been ripped due to their rev-happy engines and great handling. Check the history of the car, if you think that the car might have been used by youngsters who would have abused it - please be extra careful.

The most important things in these cars are the engine and the tracking. Do not touch a car where the engine is not upto scratch (inadequate compression, back-pressure etc.) or where the body seems crooked/warped due to accidents etc. Everything else can be repaired / replaced.

Cheers,
Old 11th May 2009, 18:29   #20

Yes checked both the cars ,

1st car 1.6 S10 70K
Body was not good , most of it parts are re-painted and needs some denting specially the bonnet , there were gaps between the bonnet and headlight where it closes . Not sure what happned .. took to a mechanic( he said there was no collision as the radiotor etc were the old one's)

Pros : Engine was good , first look by the mechanic says its good but might need front suspension done .

Cons : Body is almost re-painted upto 70% , tyres are bridgestone with tube tyres .. alloys are the original 5 spoke . Needs a complete re-paint if bought .

Price 1.6Laks negotiable.

2nd car 1.6 s10 48K :

Initially I thought this would be worth but after going to the service center where it is lying for alternator repair .

Met the Concord guy and he said the pistons(not sure what they are) have been changed sometime back and this alternator also is the 2nd time in months . Thought some thing messy and quickly jumped out the service center.

3rd car : 1.6 S10 2003 with 56k KMS ,

Pros : Neat except minor scratches , engine is same as 1st car( ie 70k car) as per mechanic .

Cons : Cost 1.75 fixed , also its MH registered.

Guys what do you think ?
Old 12th May 2009, 00:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

The second car in Concord is screaming 'do not walk - run' - glad you did just that. There is no way the pistons or even piston rings need to be replaced within 48K km unless the car was totally abused.

The first car - if there is a gap - there is some damage. Please check the hebrons etc. there might be some damage there. A bonnet which needs denting is a definite warning signal. If the collision was in a corner, the radiator etc would not be damaged but the body might be crooked. Is your mechanic sure about the 70K? Are all the wheels straight and the rear wheels run in the same track as the front ones?

Incidentally, are you sure all of them are S10s, not GTXs with S10 body kits etc.? S10s are the special editions which are in yellow and are signed by Sachin Tendulkar. They have a special plate giving their serial number (under 500). I had heard about one S10 for sale in Hyderabad (bad condition), so am surprised to hear that there are 3!

Coming to the third car - the minor scratches are to be expected and ignored. If the odo shows 56K and the mechanic estimated 70K, please check again carefully, a tampered ODO is indicative of deeper malaises. Also remember that you will have to pay re-registration charges and road tax in A.P. when you buy a MH regd. car, this can work out to about 20K. 1.75L is the absolute upper end of the price band for 1.6s and is reserved for mint condition vehicles. By my estimate, a decent car should command about 1.4L. However do remember that these cars are becoming rare and there is a demand for them now. Prices may go up in the future.

Some questions that I always ask are - (1) Has the clutch plate been changed - if so - when? (2) Has the ECU been changed - if so - when? (3) When have the tyres been changed? (4) What work have you done in the engine? (The last one is a trick question and has to be asked in a tone implying that you want the seller to answer yes and list the various things he has attended to in the engine to show that he has taken good care of the car - while the only correct answer is - NONE). There are no correct answers to the other questions, but the answers should tie in with the general condition of the car.

Cheers,
Old 12th May 2009, 11:42   #22

Thanks Ravveendra ,

The first car - if there is a gap - there is some damage. Please check the hebrons etc. there might be some damage there. A bonnet which needs denting is a definite warning signal. If the collision was in a corner, the radiator etc would not be damaged but the body might be crooked. Is your mechanic sure about the 70K? Are all the wheels straight and the rear wheels run in the same track as the front ones?

From all the three the first car is little impressive ( mean best of the lot ) yes all are s10's.

For this car the first one with 70k kms , owner agreed it had a minor dent on the bonnet and is re-painted and the other parts also re-painted .. being also on the higher end of the mielage what price we can quote for ? I said 1.2 Lakh.

Yes , mechanic confirmed it would be 70 K and also being single owner I too trust it.

Do you have a known mechanic whom I can pay and take his expert advise here in Hyderabad ?
Old 21st May 2009, 13:25   #23

Time to decide , please advise Palio s10 / 1.9D

Hello Friends,

After my last post and extensive research on S10/GTX/1.9D . Have finalized on two cars .

1) Palio s10 / 3rd owner / 56k kms / Good condition /2003 year

2) Palio 1.9D/2nd owner/ 77k kms/ Good condition /2003 year

Palio S10 is MH registered , and the owner has entire tax paid in AP and is now in process of registering here , took this to the mechanic and he suggested the vehicle is good and can be taken .

Doubts :
Vehicle has been fitted with LPG an year back and driven around 1000kms ,which resulted in ECU malfucntion causing it to be replaced . After which it was never driven on LPG .

My question is did the LPG kit do any damage to the engine or dropped its power ? As per mechanic he said as not much driven on LPG so its OK .

Asking price is 1.6L ,new tryres body is in good conditon except bonnet fading ( and scratches here and there )

Palio 1.9D :

Neat ELX model ,drives good mechanic recommended and has been recently changed with new condenser with 1year warranty . Other than that no problems found . Body condition is as new with original paint and well maintanined.( same is S10)

My only concern is 78k kms driven so far , what does it cost me in future .
Currently asking price is 1.55L.

So my deciding factor is which car among these two are easy to maintain ( except regualr service --> ad-hoc replacement is ok) . Friends please share your thoughts and advise.

Thanks
Old 21st May 2009, 14:29   #24
BHPian

Very difficult choice.

IMO, if you are sure that s10 had run for 56K km, than go for it. 78K is a bit too much for a palio. You have to be mentally ready for getting frequent trips to mechanics.

You can search for other cars too.
Old 21st May 2009, 14:44   #25
BHPian

Are you only keen on Palio? Becuse i guesss these palios have run a lot and slowly steadily u would loose ur peace of mind...plus 1.6 is high for it too
Old 21st May 2009, 14:49   #26

Yes keen on Palio , because our 7 year old Palio 1.2 has impressed such a way . We need this breed for some more fun . Also you get these beauties for low price becuase of poor after sale.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:19   #27
BHPian

Since you are so keen on a Palio,why not a new 1.6 stile?
Old 21st May 2009, 16:17   #28

Because do not want to invest much now , chances of going abroad for 2/3 years is more. And may be then I would go for new cars.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:20   #29
BHPian

Why don't you then check out our Classifieds section. I've seen many Palios for sale out there!

Also you can check out carwale.com in your area.
Old 21st May 2009, 18:28   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Palio 1.6 GTX it is, FYI, there is a sparingly used s10 for sale in Cochin.
run 35k.The person is asking 1.80, I guess you could negotiate.And the car is Delhi registered.
Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks