Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2009, 13:36   #1

Used Palio 1.2/1.6/1.9D ?

Hi Friends,

I was a silent viewer of Teambhp from years and love this site, this is my first post asking for advise.

Need advise on buying a used Palio , looking for daily commute for office etc ( already we own a Palio 1.2 & Zen ) .I never take
the Zen out when Palio is availabe ( no hard feeling but the comfort & ride quality Palio offers).
So currently my cousin got tranferred to the city who is looking for a car with 2Lakh budget . We decided we will go for a Palio
but undecided on 1.2/1.6/1.9D.

Mielage is not the constraint for us , but among these three which would last long without much trouble is the question . My 2002 Palio ELX with 45K is still
rock solid without major trouble till date .

I am more tilted towords 1.6 used one , but afraid if spare parts would be less avialable than Palio 1.2 . Friends do please
advise 1.9D is worth giving a try .

Thanks
Old 6th May 2009, 13:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

I own a Palio GTX 1.6 and it is a sheer joy to ride this car.FE is around 9 kmpl with 100% A/C.
Spare parts are really not an issue these days with Tata Tie up.
I used a 1.2 ELX also and found it to be good but underpowered.
Not sure how 1.9D works.

My advise ; go in for a 1.6 GTX...they are rare and exclusive.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

1.6 anyday and if you get a 1.9 in very good condition.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

'IF' you manage to get a 1.6 S10, then nothing like it. Even beats the 1.6 hands down in the 3rd gear :-)
Old 6th May 2009, 14:38   #5
BHPian

I would go for either of the 2 petrol options. A diesel needs to be well maintained for a long life and this is difficult to determine unless you know the owner personally. With Fiat service having gone through a troubled phase a couple of years back, many owners did not follow the maintenance schedule and the car may have been serviced by un-authorised service stations.

The same logic applies to the petrol versions but petrol engines are a bit more forgiving than diesels.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
'IF' you manage to get a 1.6 S10, then nothing like it. Even beats the 1.6 hands down in the 3rd gear :-)
What is the difference between the engine of the normal 1.6 and 1.6 S10? I thought it was the same.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
What is the difference between the engine of the normal 1.6 and 1.6 S10? I thought it was the same.
The engine is same, but gear ratio is different.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:47   #8

Also I have been searching for these cars in Hyderabad , 1.9D's used are all above 75k so I kept distance from them . But 1.6GTX and S10 are little rare to find here . Does anyone have contacts to dealers or friends selling them in Hyderabad ?

One more query what I have is the spares for S10 and GTX are same right ? I am assuming S10 does not have problem w.r.t Spares.
Old 6th May 2009, 14:55   #9
BHPian

I don't know about the 1.9, but can personally vouch for the 1.6. If you can find a good condition used 1.6 GTX, there is nothing like it. Great VFM. Will put a smile on the driver's face everytime he/she revvs up, believe you me!!

EDIT: Just noticed you are looking for it in Hyderabad. S10 and 1.6 GTX are very hard to come by here. Those which do are not in very good condition. All the best for your hunt. Keep us updated. If you find a good S10, drop me a line will ya

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 6th May 2009 at 15:01.
Old 6th May 2009, 17:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Never knew that. They never advertised it. I thought it was just cosmetic.
Old 6th May 2009, 18:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The normal GTX fourth gear is an overdrive while its a proper gear in the S10 and hence the midrange performance is even better.
Old 6th May 2009, 19:23   #12
BHPian

can search for 1.6 sport too. Comes with alloys, sports pedals and spoilers if I'm not wrong. I bought a GTX 6 months back and I'm loving it.
Old 6th May 2009, 21:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

GTX / S10 - anyday!

Hi,

I just bought a 2002 (2004) 1.6 GTX and it is an absolute joy to drive. Parts are no problem.

I know that the GTX's are difficult to come by in Hyderabad. I had to go to Mumbai to pick one up (see thread - Fiat Palio GTX 1.6 acquired 2nd hand - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-2nd-hand.html).

The 1.6 came in 3 versions - the regular GTX-PS, the GTX-SP and the S10.

The PS (stands for power steering) is the base version. the SP (stands for sport), came with ABS and driver airbag in addition to the power steering. The S10 came with all the features of the SP plus, shorter 3rd and 4th gears for a peppier mid-range performance and a full body kit (spoilers, side skirts etc.) All the 1.6 came with 14" alloys, the PS & SP had the 'telephone dials', the S10 came with a very clean and eye-catching 5 spoke design.

As hillram has pointed out, the GTXs, particularly good specimens are becoming rare, so it is best to pick one up as soon as you spot it.

The 1.6 is also available in the 'Stile' Palios. In the Stile, the motor still develops the same power in spite of being re-tuned to be more linear. Last heard, the dealers were giving great discounts on the 1.6 Stiles.

Cheers and happy hunting.
Old 7th May 2009, 00:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

GTX SP was supposed to be the Safety pack, no?
Old 7th May 2009, 09:42   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The normal GTX fourth gear is an overdrive while its a proper gear in the S10 and hence the midrange performance is even better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
.... The S10 came with all the features of the SP plus, shorter 3rd and 4th gears for a peppier mid-range performance and a full body kit (spoilers, side skirts etc.) ...
S10 was not SP+. ONLY few of the S10's were SP+. Rest are all GTX+

Yes, the difference is in the 3/4th gear ratios -- it is shorter and believe me in 3rd/4th gear, not many cars in that price range come close to it. It's a REAL mid-range rocket.

Yes, as most people have mentioned, good examples of GTX & S10's are VERY VERY hard to come by. They are the BEST VFM cars in the used car market today for people who love driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks