Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2009, 00:36   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoedge View Post
Hi all,

Advice request:

I am planning to buy a new car (my first one). I had all but decided on a Palio MJD SDX. Particularly after reading so many great reviews here.

Then I was struck by the usual lackluster pre-sales experience at Tata/ Fiat in Blore. The Palio MJD SDX is about 5.5 lakh OTR.

Started exploring a bit more, and now find that for 5.87 Lakh OTR, I can get a Getz CRDi. There is a huge discount this month for the CRDi.

Now I am trying to make a decision. Would welcome inputs on this.

Also, Puggers are not allowed here! Esp Rudrah! (joking mate). Mainly coz I have already got their inputs.

Hoping to see the light.
Indigoedge

We can help u in a better way if u just post the requirements you are expecting from your car.

1. How many kms are u going to drive daily?
2. Are u going to learn driving on this car ?

IMO you can't just decide or compare a couple of cars on the basis of price.
Old 10th June 2009, 08:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Indigoedge

We can help u in a better way if u just post the requirements you are expecting from your car.

1. How many kms are u going to drive daily?
2. Are u going to learn driving on this car ?

IMO you can't just decide or compare a couple of cars on the basis of price.
Well...I am def not on an unlimited budget that price will not be a factor! Here are the criteria:

1. OTR under 6 lakhs.
2. Driving would be about 20-30 km per day with a long trip once a month.
3. I have been driving for the last 10 years.
4. Current family (dad's) car - Indica. Want a car with about the same space! Indica is a pleasure for passengers.
5. I am not a speed freak, but appreciate good power/ torque.
6. Rejects: Swift/ Maruti all models due to lack of space and too common!
Tata vehicles - bad experience with the Indica petrol. And dont want 2 from the same stable at home.
Chevy - Some how not inclined! Have not liked the cars.
Ford - Ikon in range. But too many A.S.S horror stories from friends.
7. The Getz also leads because my dad is a Hyundai fan! Rather...he believes that Fiat is old age. "You want to spend 6 lakhs on a Fiat??" was the question from a guy who drove fiat for 25 years.

So...the choice has been cut down considerably. As I had eplained before, within a 50k difference, regardless of the amount of running, a diesel car is more economical.

In my case - the Palio 1.6 is 5.0 lakh, MJD is 5.5 lakh and the Getz is 5.87 lakh. Ditched the 1.6 and started looking at the diesel options.

And now...here I am!

In any case, ther decision is to wait for the Punto. The launch is just a week away. Will try to wrangle an early TD and decide.

But still, by then I would like a Plan B - MJD or CRDi is still to be decided before the 17th!

Could someone throw light on my previous query regarding the tyre upsize (14") for the Getz?
Old 10th June 2009, 09:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Did i suggest anything on PUG? Well since i dont remember i am chipping in my thoughts here.

Dont go for the Palio unless you are really convinced that you want a FIAT. You will surely have issues with identifying technical issues if you have any. Though things are improving well its a fact that they still lag behind compared to manufacturers like maruti/hyundai. You will surely love driving the Palio but dont go for it unless you know for sure what you are getting into.

The getz would be discontinued by the end of this year is what i have heard. The car is good VFM at the current discounted rates and if you love that adranaline rush when you step onto the pedal on that car you should seriously consider it. As far as i know it wont be as stable as the palio but the upside would be the better A.S.S. If you are not worried about owning a discontinued car that should be a good choice.

If you can wait with a slightly higher budget the GP would be in town in a few days, the i20 crdi would be in town by the end of the year, and the VW Polo would be in town hopefully in the begining of the next year. I'd say waiting for the i20 and GP might be worthwhile. Not sure about the Polo considering its plans are not yet finalised.

Why are you not looking at the Vista Quadrajet and the Ritz DDiS?

MODS: SHoudnt this be in the "What Car" section?

Last edited by gemithomas : 10th June 2009 at 09:06.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude131 View Post
The only reason why the Getz is leading is because the Palio is in the Decline stage in the PLC and hence will soon be discontinued, leading to lower resale value.
Palio was more or less forced to the decline phase of PLC , There are older cars than Palio still continuing in the maturity phase without any hiccups (Indica,Santro) .
It upto manufacture to control this.
For example Maruti forced an exit for 800 for the entry of Alto .

Lower resale value was due to customer experience . The product may be superior but the service is not in sync with customer expectation leading to a disatisfied customer.

Its proven that servicing existing customers is 10 times easier than generating a new one. They should learn that first.
Getting the basics right will save them and nothing else will ..... service....... and tying up with Tata has tarnished the image of Fiat as the Italian car maker.

Now it more or less seems that all marketing is carrying out keeping in mind safe guarding the interest of Tata's cars.

Poor job Fiat India !

Last edited by maxbhp : 10th June 2009 at 09:54.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

TD & wait a bit.

I haven't replied on PUG so I qualify!

If you are looking for a 'latest' car wait a bit as most have suggested. Both the Palio and Getz are dated and are likely to be phased out or spruced up soon.

Test drive all cars extensively before you make up your mind, there is more to a car than a list of numbers on a spec. sheet. Owning a Palio can be daunting at times esp. with regard to slow supply of parts. I understand that the situation is better with the Lineas and Grande Puntos (due to be launched next week). Just FYI - but for their "NO COUNTER SALES" policy, I would not enter into any A.S.C.

Cheers,

Note to mods: This thread needs to be moved to the "Which car category". - Thanks
Old 10th June 2009, 10:38   #36
Senior - BHPian

I think most members (many of whom are Fiat owners) have the opinion that the Getz CRDi is a better car to own and maintain, and not just drive. It just shows how badly Fiat India has treated its customers.

The GP promises to be an exciting car, and another option to confuse diesel hatch customers. While it may not be as powerful as the Getz, atleast it will have ABS-Airbags. How the dealers treat you is, of course, anybody's guess. I suggest waiting for it before any decision.
Old 10th June 2009, 10:56   #37
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Don't go by the specs of the models. It all depends on your driving style and the parameters you are looking for in the car. While opinions will help you, you are your own judge. The only way to do that is test drive the cars.

I would suggest you to wait for the punto, test drive and then decide.
Old 10th June 2009, 11:40   #38
BHPian

Hmm..

Palio - Ultimate Power Machine.
Getz - The Elegant Car.
Like Getz is good boy and Palio is naughty.

Choice is yours.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:25   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoedge View Post
Well...I am def not on an unlimited budget that price will not be a factor! Here are the criteria:

1. OTR under 6 lakhs.
2. Driving would be about 20-30 km per day with a long trip once a month.
3. I have been driving for the last 10 years.
4. Current family (dad's) car - Indica. Want a car with about the same space! Indica is a pleasure for passengers.
5. I am not a speed freak, but appreciate good power/ torque.
6. Rejects: Swift/ Maruti all models due to lack of space and too common!
Tata vehicles - bad experience with the Indica petrol. And dont want 2 from the same stable at home.
Chevy - Some how not inclined! Have not liked the cars.
Ford - Ikon in range. But too many A.S.S horror stories from friends.
7. The Getz also leads because my dad is a Hyundai fan! Rather...he believes that Fiat is old age. "You want to spend 6 lakhs on a Fiat??" was the question from a guy who drove fiat for 25 years.

So...the choice has been cut down considerably. As I had eplained before, within a 50k difference, regardless of the amount of running, a diesel car is more economical.

Could someone throw light on my previous query regarding the tyre upsize (14") for the Getz?

IMO for 20-30kms a day, a petrol car would be a better bet even if the price difference is only 50k. Running a diesel might be economical but maintenance is definitely going to be more than a petrol variant.

Tyre upgrade for Getz.
1. 185/65-14 Yoko A drives/ Michelin XM1/ Apollo Aceleres
2. 195/60-14 Bridgestone Turanza ER60/ Yoko A drives/ Michelin XM1/ Apollo Aceleres.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:40   #40
Team-BHP Support

Getz is a better deal at 4.99 lakhs. As for handling and cornering, unless you always do corners with tires squealing, it does not really matter Palio or Getz or Indica. I am sure very few people buy sub six lakh car for 0-100 times or slalom timings, so don't really bother with that much. Handling and cornering arguments are mostly presented for the sake of disagreement, in your normal driving on roads, you will rarely find yourself approacing the handling limits of any of the large hatches, unless you are a racer or something. In that case soo getz crdi with 40 horses more will be more potent than the Palio.

On things like After Sales service, reliability and peace of mind in ownership, Hyundai is miles ahead of Tata(Your Palio will be maintained by Tata). After owning 2 Hyundais and total of 5 Tatas in the family, I can safetly say that dealing with Hyundai service centers is a much more pleasant experience than Tata.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:55   #41
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend Getz without any doubt. It comes with great power, space, reliability and after sales service. Hyundai after sales service is excellent.

The handling on highways is good with my Petrol Getz - do not know about diesel. I heard that the suspension has been tweaked for the heavier engine.

I own a Getz Petrol and my family owned a Palio earlier.

Forgot to mention - Getz is a steal at the current price. I wish I am in market now for a car!!

Last edited by PatienceWins : 10th June 2009 at 12:57.
Old 10th June 2009, 14:02   #42
BHPian

And so...Getz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Getz is a better deal at 4.99 lakhs. As for handling and cornering, unless you always do corners with tires squealing, it does not really matter Palio or Getz or Indica. I am sure very few people buy sub six lakh car for 0-100 times or slalom timings, so don't really bother with that much. Handling and cornering arguments are mostly presented for the sake of disagreement, in your normal driving on roads, you will rarely find yourself approacing the handling limits of any of the large hatches, unless you are a racer or something. In that case soo getz crdi with 40 horses more will be more potent than the Palio.

On things like After Sales service, reliability and peace of mind in ownership, Hyundai is miles ahead of Tata(Your Palio will be maintained by Tata). After owning 2 Hyundais and total of 5 Tatas in the family, I can safetly say that dealing with Hyundai service centers is a much more pleasant experience than Tata.
Thanks Tanveer! And thanks to everyone who replied.

It is going to be the Getz.

More for mental health than anything else. Very sorely disappointed with Tata. I have shared this with PUG as well. If a prospective customer is treated with such callousness, I can only imagine the situation post-purchase!

As for the GP - I am not about to trust Tata to do a great A.S.S job with a brand new car.

So all - in about a month's time you will hopefully see my posts on the purchase and initial ownership experience (in the right forum!).

Mods - Thanks for moving it to the right place. Can you change the title to "To Getz or to get the Palio MJD - Getz wins"?

Thanks all!
Old 10th June 2009, 15:29   #43
Senior - BHPian

I receomment Palio MJD.The drivability is superb and the Fiat Disesel engine is a hit.
Old 10th June 2009, 16:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun.m View Post
Palio - Ultimate Power Machine.
Getz - The Elegant Car.
Like Getz is good boy and Palio is naughty.

Choice is yours.
Lovely post! You have put it extremely well.

I do disagree that the MJD is a power machine - you must be referring to the GTX.

But even in the MJD version - the Palio is naughty fun.

Cheers,
Old 10th June 2009, 18:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your decision. Do enjoy and drive safe. Looking forward to your owership review.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks