Fiat Punto Multijet 1.3 Diesel 346 47.79%
Hyundai i20 CRDi 1.4 Diesel 187 25.83%
Voters: 724. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2009, 10:06   #1
BHPian

Hyundai i20 or Fiat Grande Punto. EDIT- Poll added

Hi Friends,
This is for my brother-in-law who is looking for a b+ segment hatch.Actually he had planned for Palio 1.6.But after several enquries,no dealer in Bangalore were able to give acccurate info on whether fiat has stopped its production or not.
Its very pathetic to see not much information available for such good fiat product as 1.6 (yes, inspite of its mileage and so called a** issue that we have been hearing) and many enthusiats have to go back to other cars.
So we decided on Hyundai i20.

Though i10 is also a good car his preference was over the one with good space.But astonishingly i found that even i20 doesn't offer a good legroom/rear space as compared to Palio.But it has better boot space than Palio.And cost wise it i20 is about Rs 5.68 lacs on road (for magnum) in Bangalore.And they offer no discounts or acessories.

I did test drive i20 nd feels good for sure.The interiors are much much better than what is being offered in Palio,but wanted to hear from real owners about its handling

Now coming to Grande punto,i haven't checked it yet.But being a palio owner , i won't its built quality and ride quality, but need to hear from team-bhp experts on this.More interstingly with almost same kind of features, i feel Grande punto should be costing lesse than i20.Is it still good to go with Punto.Or shall w stick on to i20 itself.

I20 or Punto , now thats where we stand.We need your help in deciding on this.Please help

Thanks,
Dileep
Palio 1.2 nv elx/2006
Old 20th June 2009, 10:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Well in simple words, between them for me its like

i20 - Better Service, More resale value.
Punto - Better Built, Less resale value.

Moreover if you are looking for discounts on i20, they should start pouring very soon as being a quarter end and Punto effect.
Old 20th June 2009, 11:11   #3
BHPian

I agree with ashthedivx on the two differences above but I also have a couple more.

Punto -- looks great, engine is decent, rear seat a little cramped
i20 -- loads of space, comfort and equipment, engine is very refined but underpowered
Old 20th June 2009, 11:50   #4
Senior - BHPian

To add to the safety, i20 Asta(o) has 6 airbags!!

Interiors are superior to the GP in my opinion!

If you want more power than luxury, then Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet Diesel it is.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps a poll here will make it clear what the members recommend.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Poll or no poll, I vote for the Punto. Took a TD yesterday. It's a great car. Much better than the i20. I can't understand why people worry about resale before even buying the car. First buy the car, enjoy it and then think of resale. Just because the resale is better don't make a compromise while buying and settle for a car you don't really like.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Perhaps a poll here will make it clear what the members recommend.
It might be better to have a poll after some members acquire either car. As of now, it would only be theoretical speculation.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
It might be better to have a poll after some members acquire either car. As of now, it would only be theoretical speculation.
I advocated a poll so as to add spice to this thread, and increase the posts on this thread dramatically.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

i20 is on road for few months, we have plenty of owners here in the forum itself to ask opinions and suggestions. But what about punto ? Do we have any owners to ask about user opinions ? Based on a TD experience and based on user-reviews from abroad, we may not be able to conclude how the indian version is going to perform. Looks are always deceptive. What matters is 'will you have the same impression and peace of mind after driving it around for few months?'. Its yet to be found ! As of now Fiat has a very bad reputation on after services be it independant or TATA assisted !

My neighbour guy is really worried about his Linea within 2 months, some of the plastic parts are broken, few screws have come out, some glued panels have seperated and servics guys have no clue how to solve this. If I want to buy a Punto, I would really really wait for 3 months and see how the first batch is going to be a on road. As of now the waiting is 45 days.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:37   #10
BANNED

i m also in a hunt for a car and zeroed on these to at last. Its for my family use.
After seeing both car these are my opinion

1. From Looks Outside overall its i20 (Punto Looks amazingly from Front only)
2. Inside Feel again i20 with the finish and quality
3. Price ..well i m not opting a diesel, but you can get a 1.4(punto) in the price of a 1.2 (i20), but for me power is not a concern , comfort, safety,look (in & out) on the limited budget is important. But you may say about Vista.. but Indica image i dont like it.
4. Now Sid Indica's Review is over and its again tilting my mind towards i20, now waiting for GTO's TD Report to take the final call.
5. Also waiting for a Price drop of i20 as i know all others are feeling the Punto Heat

MOD's Poll please to this thread

Last edited by wildon : 20th June 2009 at 12:44.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

This question would have been a killer if the i20 Diesel was around! Right now, the Punto diesel seems to be the greater VFM proposition between the i20/Punto.

EDIT- Poll added

Last edited by theMAG : 20th June 2009 at 12:55.
Old 20th June 2009, 12:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Mahesh
As per latest update from some reliable sources, i20 CRDi is only couple of months away and in all probability it will sweep away GP in every aspect other than the price factor(may be).

EDIT: July launch (expected)

Last edited by kpzen : 20th June 2009 at 13:11.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

KP,

The i20 is too hot looking to not be given a delicious motor in the first place - what were Hyundai thinking ? Even when stationary, that car looks like its moving - beautifully designed car.

2 months, you say? Neat.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Mahesh
As per latest update from some reliable sources, i20 CRDi is only couple of away and in all probability it will sweep away GP in every aspect other than the price factor(may be).
Sweep away GP with a 1.4 Litre 75 bhp diesel engine???? Sorry mate I dont think so.
Old 20th June 2009, 13:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Sweep away GP with a 1.4 Litre 75 bhp diesel engine???? Sorry mate I dont think so.
Was just lazying around on a Saturday morning when i got some info about the i20 Crdi so thought why not tickle around with a few Fiat fan boys.

Fiat cars are just brilliant. Anything which produces more horses than Fiat is too dangerous on Indian roads and anything which produces less horses than Fiat is virtually not driveable and not built to last.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks