Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 15:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

I would honestly anyday go with a Maruti. That too Swift, not Ritz.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...i-vdi-oye.html

Completely painless all these months - not even a single item replaced due to mfg issues despite touring on all kinda roads!
Old 14th July 2009, 17:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

nitin, do PM CtrlAltDel, or maybe he can post here. And do go through his ownership threads
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-gala-red.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ng-report.html
Old 14th July 2009, 17:50   #18
BHPian

There are two types of people one who take decision from heart and the other using there brains. The latter category again has two types of people one who is ready to spend extra amount for quality and one who need value for money. Vista falls for the VFM category and also gives more in nearly every criteria than Ritz:
1) No other Hatchback (in this price range) can carry 3 persons in comfort on the rear seats. The seats are wide and have large leg room.
2) Ride quality is superb.(I just jumped over a speed breaker at a speed of 70+ and nothing happened to the car or to the occupants.Infact I was surprised when none of the occupants complained after going through this ordeal.)The engine is same as fiat.
3) Fuel efficiency a bit marginally less than ritz but again ritz is a small car as compared to Vista and that is the price you pay for a roomier,bigger,more stable hatch.
4) If you are already saving 65K in the price plus you are nearly getting more features worth another say 15k. It totals to 80k saving. This saving can be used to mend the inferior quality plastic parts which many people are worried about.Although Maruti vehicles have better plastic parts but what is the use if they rattle so hard.(Ask swift owners). Isnt this saving a big reason enough to go for Vista?
5) I would always feel safe in a Vista as compared to Ritz.Lots of steel (heavy gauge) does come into picture.
6) Tata Service centres have improved not like the previous years, thats my experience for sure.
7) You can live with that AC, its not so poor that you crib over it all day.Yes its not like Ritz.Put it into recirculation mode and it would be fine.
8) There are many persons in this forum who just compare previous indica to vista and prove that their foreign models are better than Indian. Yes Indian manufacturers lack refinement but the cars are defined for Indian conditions, rought tough designed for abuse and not like the punny match box size cars which these Japanese have been giving us. The size of the car is good for themselves not for Indians and especially for Indian families who do need that extra space now and then.

I strongly vote for Indica Vista. Swift is always better than Ritz at least it had better handling than Ritz and is really a drivers car.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:09   #19
Senior - BHPian

Buying a new car is an emotional decision in India. In many ways, a Vista is a fantastic car, but it still feels rough in some areas inside. And feels built to a price. The Ritz is not made with the best of materials either, but they are better than those on the Vista and it is better screwed together.
I suggest you involve key family members in the decision. That way, whenever things go wrong, as they sometimes will, you will not face internal criticism. The Vista will do the functional part pretty well, but the smaller conveniences may not be fault free. Again, one is better than the other on highways as compared to the city and vice versa.
On a personal note, I thought I could now take a chance on the Vista, because of its best in class rear seat comfort, but my wife refused to have anything to do with it, because she did not like the rough feel inside the car. On such matters are these decisions made at times!
I am not sure if this has helped or hindered the decision.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:33   #20
BHPian

Recently I have visited one of the Maruti showroom and saw a Ritz. I was totally disappointed with the interior space. If I sit in the front seat, no body can sit in the rear...!! Also find that the luggage area is also very less. Rear legroom is very good in Tata cars.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 14th July 2009, 19:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Buying a new car is an emotional decision in India.
because she did not like the rough feel inside the car. On such matters are these decisions made at times!
Pardon my ignorance, Could you please tell me what do you mean by a rough feel , I am yet to take TD on Vista, i will have to check with my wife if she is OK for a TATA car. But going by the remarks I am wondering why I havent taken any TD before.
Old 14th July 2009, 19:37   #22
Senior - BHPian

When you hold the door handles in the rear, you can feel the rough edge of the plastic against your hand. Does that matter? Yes, because it reflects an attitude of chalta hai at the manufacturer/vendor/purchasing end. It does not take too much to fix this, so this is not the cost issue it is made out to be, it is a culture issue. Attention to detail is missing, and today's customers notice this, because better options are available. Not that Maruti is perfect, or Hyundai, but they are better than Tata.
Old 14th July 2009, 19:42   #23
BHPian

Thanks Sawyer, now i understand. I never thought from this perspective, lesson learnt for today. Next time when i go for a TD, i am gonna look for these and see if the manufacturer is really serious about his product
Old 14th July 2009, 20:32   #24
BHPian

ritz is more upmarket.

ritz has ABS as an option

ritz has better resale value.

ritz doesn't have an taxi image prob.

ritz has defiantly better A S S

ritz has improved in interior dept.

ritz does not have rattle prob i think.

ritz is tall boy so getting in and out is easy.

ritz gives you good view of the road ahead.

its light and easy to drive. better handling.

very well planted on the road.

atleast thats what i hear.

it has been said that suzuki engineers do a fantastic job of tuning the fiat engine. which fiat cant do. this gives you better fuel efficency and low noise and refinement.

GO for RITZ.

Last edited by Caramelo : 14th July 2009 at 20:34.
Old 14th July 2009, 22:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
There are two types of people one who take decision from heart and the other using there brains. The latter category again has two types of people one who is ready to spend extra amount for quality and one who need value for money. Vista falls for the VFM category and also gives more in nearly every criteria than Ritz:

not like the punny match box size cars which these Japanese have been giving us. The size of the car is good for themselves not for Indians and especially for Indian families who do need that extra space now and then.

I strongly vote for Indica Vista. Swift is always better than Ritz at least it had better handling than Ritz and is really a drivers car.
As per your def only three types of car should sell...LOL

Japs are nowadays taller,average height 6 feet, their puny strature was when the history books for schools were written when we were still there.

I agree with the go for swift rather than ritz. come..on they needed to give a better rear treatment even f its a replacement for Waggy.

If its a Toss up between just the two on the resale side Vista would lose more than what it saves over three -five years when pitted againt the Ritz where it scores is on the space front and its not a small diff if you cant seat plump in the middle indians whats the use of all the Gadgets. Go for punto same stable probably even lesser resale biut better car per car compared to the other two. you get space and goodies and latest on the streets in your parking lot feel.

Last edited by marlinspike : 14th July 2009 at 22:08.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
If its a Toss up between just the two on the resale side Vista would lose more than what it saves over three -five years when pitted againt the Ritz
Are you saying it is going to loose more than 65k in resale? I doubt.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:31   #27

I went through the same confusion recently and in the end chose the Ritz petrol (VXI).

As many have already pointed out, there is very little to differentiate among the two cars in engine performance. Vista comes loaded with some additional features (tilt steering/seat adjustments/rear de-fogger etc) which the Ritz VDI does not have (u can choose the VDI+ABS option though in Ritz VDI). But if u choose the Ritz ZXI (petrol), these features are available with additional benefits like ABS and Airbags which the Vista doesn’t have at present. I guess u can take a look at the petrol option since Maruti is claiming a higher FE for the new KB12 engine, though the jury verdict is yet to be out on the real FE of the petrol Ritz. My guess (and hope) is that it will settle around 13-14 Km per litre (for city drive).

I guess it really boils down to the same points u have mentioned ie build quality/after sales/image. In build quality i think both are even stevens, where as in after sales, the Maruti clearly has an edge.

The main reason why i chose the Ritz was the image factor, didn’t want to be associated with an Indica name. I know it’s a bit of myopic vision, but it’s sadly true.

Good luck in taking the final call on this, do post your decision in detail.

Cheers,
Old 15th July 2009, 12:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
When you hold the door handles in the rear, you can feel the rough edge of the plastic against your hand. Does that matter? Yes, because it reflects an attitude of chalta hai at the manufacturer/vendor/purchasing end. It does not take too much to fix this, so this is not the cost issue it is made out to be, it is a culture issue. Attention to detail is missing, and today's customers notice this, because better options are available. Not that Maruti is perfect, or Hyundai, but they are better than Tata.
I am not too sure about the highlighted part.You would need better dies, closer tolerances, more stringent QC and rejection. I think they would drive up costs - I don't consider myself an expert in manufacturing, so If anyone who knows these things does, feel free to enlighten us. what is traditionally not cared for by the traditional tata customer - panel gaps, finish and color of the plastic etc, as long as the car's functionality and structural integrity is not compromised - tata has far better expertise with metal than , say suzuki - case in point the swift's sheet metal, and we're yet to see how ritzes respond to crashes. Such a customer(myself included) does not see utility in paying, say 5~10k more for tighter shutlines or soft feel plastics. From my POV, those who do are the folks who get suckered into buying cars like the i10 and the fabia , and from their POV, the average tata buyer would rather have a crude and unrefined contraption just to save a few K.

Last edited by greenhorn : 15th July 2009 at 12:15.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

I have spent some time in manufacturing, which was the basis for the assertion. What it takes to address these issues is the attention to the right things at the right times. For instance, working with the vendor to qualify his dies and extruding processes will address the rough edges. Inspecting things at inward QC is an outdated way of fixing such issues. As will working on all the shopfloors where the parts and the car is made to instill a sense of pride in workmanship in every one associated with the making of the product. It is a management leadership capability/intent subject, not one of cost. And a willingness to rub shoulders with the so called "lowly shop floor worker".You can have hard feel materials to save the cost yes, but it can still be assembled to a higher integrity level. Some are better at this than others. In the world of bikes a notable example is the difference in quality and finish in Hero Honda and Honda India. Both are equally localized, and both are made by Indian workmen, but the Japanese do a better job on the shop floor that Indian managers. A fact admitted to by HH managers in private talk. Sad, but true. But even they do a far better job than good old Bajaj, and it shows in the build quality of the three productlines.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:48   #30
BHPian

between ritz and vista abvioulsly the latter scores better in terms of the looks and performance.
though tata has improved from its past V2 models things are not as reliable as maruti and the latters A.S.S is definitely better.
vista scores on interior comfort and space as well.
its gonna be a tough decision for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks