Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 06:39   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
IMHO if you can stretch your budget i20 CRDi would be the best buy.
Amen to that!!
(Warning: I am immensely biased towards Hyundai's VGT Diesels - drive one on the highway and you'd know why, or drive my Getz CRDi in-city, and you'd still know why )

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
I beg to differ here. I know you guys are going to beat me up, but I say the best diesel under 6 lakhs would be the swift diesel . Its got a much bettter engine and the turbolag can be worked with bu the wonderful click gearshifts.Just my thought.
No offence to you or any Swift lovers - these are just my thoughts

The Swift is a great handler, and the 1.3 MJD is tuned pretty well to complement its handling characteristics. The gear box is a joy to play with. Period.

Plastic quality, claustrophobic back seats, rattles... I add a few more, but I feel it has crossed its prime.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2010, 14:00   #62
BHPian

Just like many others on this thread, I am also planning to book Figo TDCi tomorrow. Earlier looking for Polo and Swift but ending with a Figo!!
Old 28th March 2010, 15:15   #63
Senior - BHPian

I started off wanting to buy a Swift, test drove it, test drove Ritz, then test drove i10, was completely disappointed with all these cars in comparison with my Xeta. Then found exactly what I was looking for, in the Ford Figo diesel.

Full details here (page 3): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-budget-3.html

Just thought of sharing it here, as it could be relevant in this dicsussion. On paper the Swift diesel engine looks better, but believe me one short TD is all that's needed to completely remove all thoughts of Swift, and it has to be the Ford! Just my two-paisa bit.
Old 28th March 2010, 15:29   #64
Team-BHP Support

There is no doubt now that the best VFM diesel is Figo as the Fiesta engines finds its way into it. Only reason other diesel would be considered would because of peripheral factors. After sales, network, spare parts etc.

PS: I know I would be infuriating many diesel Swift/Ritz owners, but I guess thats my personal opinion.
Old 28th March 2010, 23:45   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I started off wanting to buy a Swift, test drove it, test drove Ritz, then test drove i10, was completely disappointed with all these cars in comparison with my Xeta. Then found exactly what I was looking for, in the Ford Figo diesel.

Full details here (page 3): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-budget-3.html

Just thought of sharing it here, as it could be relevant in this dicsussion. On paper the Swift diesel engine looks better, but believe me one short TD is all that's needed to completely remove all thoughts of Swift, and it has to be the Ford! Just my two-paisa bit.
I was about to quote your thread here, recommending a go at the Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is no doubt now that the best VFM diesel is Figo as the Fiesta engines finds its way into it. Only reason other diesel would be considered would because of peripheral factors. After sales, network, spare parts etc.

PS: I know I would be infuriating many diesel Swift/Ritz owners, but I guess thats my personal opinion.
I dont think even Swift owners would deny that the car is not all that modern when you look at the hoard of new cars that have been getting launched. And a lot of us share a common ground on the Ritz's rear-ended looks, and plastics (even the Swift has better plastics!). So - we are entitled to our opinion as long as we put it in a way that does not hurt others

The bottom line for the thread starter - give Figo a try. We seem to be having a winner here, and Ford is definitely increasing the coverage of its dealership / A.S.S network. And the car should not give you much of an expenditure above the norm until atleast 1 lakh on the clock!
Old 29th March 2010, 02:17   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
My true requirement is 1.3 MJD plus Vista's Rear seat space plus Figo's handling and stability plus Maruti's service network.
...with Hero Honda FE, American presidential limo's safety and Nano pricing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Wing View Post
hehe...reading this, was reminded of catherine zeta jones fighting furiously with Zorro and ending up falling in love with him, haha. What a turn of events.
Reminds me of those Bollywoord scripts -- Two men fight each other for nearly the entire movie and realize at the very end that they're brothers. Aaaawwwww, what a happy ending to an equally interesting duel. The ending to this can best be described by the Italian word for Figo, COOL.

Last edited by misquitas : 29th March 2010 at 02:31.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:19   #67
RGK
Senior - BHPian

[quote=ph03n!x;1807102]Amen to that!!
(Warning: I am immensely biased towards Hyundai's VGT Diesels - drive one on the highway and you'd know why, or drive my Getz CRDi in-city, and you'd still know why )

Absolutely... I had a chance to drive Verna Diesel yesterday. The car is old and done 66k kms. But the response of the engine was amazing and enjoyed to the core.
Old 21st April 2010, 16:04   #68
BHPian

I have been planning to buy a car since December and still haven't decided. Just love the Punto! But after reading this I have another car to TD, Ford Figo! But what about that red dashboard?? Stare long enough and you will hurt your eyes. Ok, here we go again...
Old 21st April 2010, 21:00   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwajid View Post
I have been planning to buy a car since December and still haven't decided. Just love the Punto! But after reading this I have another car to TD, Ford Figo! But what about that red dashboard?? Stare long enough and you will hurt your eyes. Ok, here we go again...
If you love the Punto, the Figo won't do it for you. I know, because I love both the cars . Do take that test-drive for sure, but the Punto evokes that "love" reaction that the Figo just doesn't (atleast not to the same degree).

However, this is a fantastic dilemna to be in, and you can't really go wrong with either. By the way, which version were you looking at, the petrol or the diesel?
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:34   #70
BHPian

I know! Since Ive falled in "love" with the Punto no other car comes in my radar. I'm looking at the Diesel. But due to budget constraints will have to go for the Active version. So, when is this "Sport" version you guys speak of, is due to release? And any info on what it includes? (Linea's engine is one thing, right?)
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know! Since Ive falled in "love" with the Punto no other car comes in my radar. I'm looking at the Diesel. But due to budget constraints will have to go for the Active version. So, when is this "Sport" version you guys speak of, is due to release? And any info on what it includes? (Linea's engine is one thing, right?)
The Punto Sport that seems to be a favourite here, is slated to be launched in June end - mid July (the sales manager I know claims that is the case). Like you mentioned it is supposed to come with the Linea spec engine and slight mods on the exteriors with sporty bits on the inside. Nothing dramatic though. Also, the Punto sport will definitely be the highest end version and hence would be significantly more expensive than the Active 1.3.

I think you can go with the current engine if you aren't a very sporty driver. For me, I like it better than the Swift's Vdi's peaky power delivery. Also, the engine opens up and becomes smoother and quieter as you munch the miles (say 3K-5K kms).
Old 22nd April 2010, 14:02   #72
BHPian

When I did the test drive, through the traffic from Concorde Motors, opp Christ college, to Madivala Junction, in Bangalore, I felt that its a powerful enough engine for city drive and I like how the controls and things are placed. Very comfortable! I just loved the console of the Emo Pk. How much would it cost for a Pete's Box for the Punto? Somehow, I never liked the Swift, drove a friends Vdi, felt very under powered. Must be something wrong with his car though!

So for now, I will go do a TD on Figo and try to take a TD on NICE road for Punto and then will buy a Punto anyway.
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:15   #73
BHPian

Quote:
1) Fun to drive: By far the most crucial point. Most diesels these days suffer from the irritating initial turbo-lag. I would rather go for a car that is slower to the 100k mark, but has a linear power delivery and the torque to pull along in any gear.
The Fiesta, Icon and the Figo have the most drivable diesel engine. The Icon and the Figo will fit your price bracket, looking at OTR price. The Maruti diesels have little to no turbo lag despite having a FG Turbo. The Vista and Manza aren't that good. I haven't considered the new BS4 Vista Drivetech4. It could be better. Test drive it before you make the final decision.
Quote:
2) Easy maintenance: After the harrowing experience of owning a Fiat Palio D, this is one criteria that has shot up on the priority list. I need a car that is easy on the pocket where service and spares are concerned.
Fords until now have been expensive to maintain. Hope that changes with the Figo.
Marutis are relatively inexpensive to maintain, and don't need that much maintenance in the first place.
Tata's new cars are better in terms of maintenance and niggling issues. And they're getting better with every iteration. The new Vista has had some work done under the hood too. Spares and service is cheap with Tata.

Quote:
3) Comfort and safety: We are a family where all men are six feet plus. So interior space is a very important factor while considering a hatchback. Besides, the car will be doing atleast 50-60kms a day on busy highways, so airbags are a must.
If you're six foot plus, then the Tatas are your sole option for good comfort. Their ride is the best too. The Vista QuadraJet with ABS and airbags should be within your budget, OTR.
Old 3rd May 2010, 00:41   #74
BHPian

Quote:
When I did the test drive, through the traffic from Concorde Motors, opp Christ college, to Madivala Junction, in Bangalore, I felt that its a powerful enough engine for city drive and I like how the controls and things are placed. Very comfortable! I just loved the console of the Emo Pk. How much would it cost for a Pete's Box for the Punto? Somehow, I never liked the Swift, drove a friends Vdi, felt very under powered. Must be something wrong with his car though!

So for now, I will go do a TD on Figo and try to take a TD on NICE road for Punto and then will buy a Punto anyway.
With the punto, things will get much much better post 3k km, ask any punto owner this.
Yes, power is alright, not the best in the category but decent and the engaging drive experience makes up for it.
A pete's box will set you back by about Rs 28,000, no one on the forum has opted for a peted putno AFAIK, rather unfortunate.

Something must certainly be wrong with that swift, the swift is quite a bit more powerful than the punto.
Old 31st October 2010, 16:01   #75
BHPian

This is the exact thread I was looking for - best diesel hatch

I was also in the market for a new diesel hatchback. Was seriously considering the Ford Figo diesel .... but one more option.. more confusion...

A friend of mine recommended that I check out the New Skoda Fabia Diesel 1.2 TDI. Its the same diesel engine that does duty on the VW Polo too.. Went to check the car out at JMD Skoda, must say I was impressed. Still not had a complete test drive as the diesel test drive vehicles were not present, however drove one of the cars for a short distance and found very responsive. The overall fit finish and build of the car was very solid and impressive. It has a pretty roomy interior. The boot seemed much bigger too.

Even the base variant - Classic is pretty good VFM although it does not feature a music system and power windows. ( Both of which I plan get fitted later - plan to fit only front power windows ). The all black interiors of the base are not bad too. The base variant also features an adjustable steering wheel (both tilt & reach), driver airbag, central locking and height adjustable seatbelts.

Now I have heard some horror stories of the Skoda A.S.S (After Sales Service), but after seeing the car I am geting pretty tempted. They have promised me a Test drive by the week end so will update you on that front soon.

The base variant is costing Approx Rs 6,25,000 on-road, Individual Mumbai. This also includes an extended warranty ( 2 + 2 years or 1,00,00 Kms). I know the Figo is cheaper, but I am looking for a car that I can use trouble free for the next 4 - 5 years.

What what are your opinions on the car? Look forward to your suggestions and experiences.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks