Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 22:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Since you mentioned comfort, I would suggest Swift for you. It seems to have the best driver position especially in terms of thigh support.

If anyone knows of any other car in the segment that is more comfortable for the driver compared to Swift, please correct me.
Old 1st May 2010, 00:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

if its petrol go for Kseries from maruti stable.u wont enjoy alto, new wagon R or swift will be better buy
Old 1st May 2010, 01:24   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

if its between alto and Figo, its no brainer, get the Figo even if its the base model of either petrol or diesel.

Figo is better built vehicle than alto which has now seen a new level of cost cutting. Only compromise would be a bit of FE and rumoured or suspect ***
Old 1st May 2010, 02:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

Why not a Swift ? A diesel one if it fits your budget and you are set for many years with superb mileage, maruti's after sales service and a highway car too. Alto is not really a highway car you know.
Old 1st May 2010, 03:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion, please go and do a test 'ride' of both the cars. Take note of the quality of interiors, the ride quality, the NVH, the airconditioning, the interior space. Sit in the driver seat, see which is more comfortable to your frame. Ask your test driving friend which car is more 'cruise mode' friendly. All these things will matter once you start living with the car.

Maruti didn't launch the new BS4 Alto with the K series engine, but the existing F series engine modified for the new emission norms. It is cheaper than its predecessor, but you would notice cost cutting in terms of quality and the equipment offered.

You haven't mentioned whether its Figo petrol or diesel among your options. The reason I'm asking is, Figo petrol will be less fuel efficient than the Alto.

In my opinion, if your budget allows, you should go for the Figo petrol. It will surely have a lesser FE, but you will get a better car.
Old 1st May 2010, 11:20   #36
Muzungu

whenever in doubt, stick to what your friends tell you on TBhp!

maruti has a well known and trusted A.S.S. compared to FORD and with maruti you get your VFM.

i would say go for new Wagon R which is much better car, it being totally new from ground up. it fits your choice comfortably.

Old 1st May 2010, 12:59   #37
BHPian

Alto

From what I understand and experienced hyderabad traffic Alto is the best bet. Your cost of repair of dents will be quite less. And you'll have less worries and definitely not start hating driving here.

BTW, You can select between Santro and Alto depending upon your height/comfort level. Am assuming you do not have driver. If you have driver - Innova/Xylo. I recommend you skip the 4-7 lacs segment.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:01   #38
BHPian

@above, Yes. The more I read about Alto and more I imagine a Figo in Hyderabad, the more my mind wanders to the future with several repair/dent/scratch bills lying in front of me eating up all my salary. I think I would most probably go for an Alto.

Would a second hand Alto make sense, or would it be better driving away with a new one?
Old 1st May 2010, 17:10   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
@above, Yes. The more I read about Alto and more I imagine a Figo in Hyderabad, the more my mind wanders to the future with several repair/dent/scratch bills lying in front of me eating up all my salary. I think I would most probably go for an Alto.

Would a second hand Alto make sense, or would it be better driving away with a new one?
Pick up a new one, second hand Alto's don't come cheap, it's best to pick a new one.
Old 1st May 2010, 17:38   #40
BHPian

I agree with a lot of people here, you have to look at your options carefully & make a decision which you wont repent...

As many, I would say look at Alto, Wagaon R, Ritz, Beat, UVA...I own an Alto & I stand by many people who suggest you to go for this.

Last edited by crn12 : 1st May 2010 at 17:45.
Old 1st May 2010, 19:25   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownerofazkaban View Post
From what I understand and experienced hyderabad traffic Alto is the best bet. Your cost of repair of dents will be quite less. And you'll have less worries and definitely not start hating driving here.

BTW, You can select between Santro and Alto depending upon your height/comfort level. Am assuming you do not have driver. If you have driver - Innova/Xylo. I recommend you skip the 4-7 lacs segment.
I too tried Santro before finalizing Alto. The position of the accelerator pedal gave me a pain in the knee and hip after driving in city traffic, otherwise Santro was very good. I find the position perfect in Alto-no pain even after hours of driving. I am able to rest my knee on the side wall while operating the accelerator, and the position of the foot is pretty straight as well.
Old 1st May 2010, 20:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats; I would say a wise choice. Its true that for minor tinkering works, Maruti's prices are cheaper than Ford's.

Quote:
Well, I thought you're planning to sell off until you cannot get the car moving. In that case, a new one will suit you more. Reason? First 3-5 years, almost no maintenance & you can live in peace of mind. For the next few years, it depends on how you maintain & drive the car in the first few years. On sane drivings, trust me, you cannot get the car thrown, I mean, the car will outlast your expectation.

There're no issues with second hand car, but only thing you need is - patience; patience to search for a good one, be it used car dealer or Maruti True Value. In the latter case, your searching time will be less considerably, however, the objective of any used car will be, good to excellent condition, less on ODO & best price. Use TBHP's recommendation on buying used car & have little patience, I'm sure you'll never go wrong.
Old 1st May 2010, 23:16   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Congrats; I would say a wise choice. Its true that for minor tinkering works, Maruti's prices are cheaper than Ford's.

Well, I thought you're planning to sell off until you cannot get the car moving. In that case, a new one will suit you more. Reason? First 3-5 years, almost no maintenance & you can live in peace of mind. For the next few years, it depends on how you maintain & drive the car in the first few years. On sane drivings, trust me, you cannot get the car thrown, I mean, the car will outlast your expectation.

There're no issues with second hand car, but only thing you need is - patience; patience to search for a good one, be it used car dealer or Maruti True Value. In the latter case, your searching time will be less considerably, however, the objective of any used car will be, good to excellent condition, less on ODO & best price. Use TBHP's recommendation on buying used car & have little patience, I'm sure you'll never go wrong.
Thank you for the inputs aargee. . I'm almost decided on the Alto. Just waiting for the prices on the new BS IV Car. There might be some discounts on the previous version once the new version rolls out.
Old 1st May 2010, 23:44   #44
Senior - BHPian

The 3 pot in the A-Star wasnt what I will call smooth or vibe free. Low end torque was bad for a car that will be inside city for most of its life. This will be the same if the all new WagonR has the same engine and specs.

Alto, is a nice car. I love its handling and FE. Its relatively a maintenance free car and comes with mere basic things like PS. Its too old IMHO.

And check the sales chart; 7000 Figo sold last month !

Its also a good idea to check some pre-owned cars. There was a 6 month old , 8000ksm run Ford TDCi for 5lac here at Trivandrum for sale as the owner was upgrading to a Fiesta !
Old 2nd May 2010, 11:19   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the inputs aargee. . I'm almost decided on the Alto. Just waiting for the prices on the new BS IV Car. There might be some discounts on the previous version once the new version rolls out.

Hi Hellmet,

I completely understand your confusion. TO put matters into perspective, your comparison between Alto & Figo is unexplainable. They are 2 different class of cars.

IF you would have asked me between the Figo & say Ritz/Swift i would have understood, because thats the kind of snob value, space, features we are talking about. You can probably compare between Alto/Spark/Santro , etc.

But I completely understand your confusion yet again as I am also tryin to decide my 1st car between the Figo/Beat/i10. Havent got much help on this exposure on my thread as the Mods due to some reason shifted my thread in an old thread for Beat v/s Figo.

Hellmet, you should decide what you want:
- Price (1st criteria)
-Your requirement from the cars (type of usage, features, FE, etc)
-Cost of ownership (if that's the criteria)
-Resale value (but i assume your not looking at that)

And I would say its upto you to go for the used car, but keep this in mind:
- Used cars bought from dealers are suspect, they do a lot of work on it & sell the car but issues start cropping up after the initial few months.
- Place like MFC, True Value, etc will certify the cars but their prices are atleast 20% higher and not justified.
- Also loans available on used cars are atleast at a rate of >14%...Also car loans for used cars available only for 3 yr cars.
-ALso even a 5 yr used Santro/Wagon R commands a price of atleast 2 lacs (in Mumbai) which is just pathetic. Better go for a new car & get good finance for the same.

But in my opinion if its choice between a Alto & Figo, go for Figo...you will get a hang of the roads faster than you can imagine...

As an after thought, do consider the i10 Era , Beat also....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks