Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2010, 13:51   #46
BHPian

My main objectives here are:

1.Complete my 40 KM, super dense traffic commute in comfort with some ease. (To anyone familiar with Hitech City - Tarnaka route along begumpet should know what I'm saying) This requires an A/C to keep the crap out and super FE to compensate for the stop-n-go movement.
2.Ability to take parents out together without having to spend on the tin-can Auto, exposed to elements or on two separate two-wheelers which is a pain, especially since my parents have ventured into the 'aging' territory.
3. Be able to plan short trips from the city with friends without having to rely on cabs or drivers.
4. Be able to save a significant portion of my salary for the future.

However, these requirements contradict with the other side of me:

1. To have a car with snob value and/or respect on the road.
2. To be able to spend at will without caring for the future - living on the edge.
3. To upgrade my lifestyle.

Thankfully, the 'good' side of me has started to overpower me and I'm going for a high-FE, OK for short trips car - the Alto. I just have to make sure the 'other' side of me doesn't take over before I buy it.

Sounds ridiculous, right ?

Last edited by hellmet : 2nd May 2010 at 13:53.
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:02   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post

IMHO you should chck out the Beat/i1o if what you stated above are your requirements...
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

Nope. Nothing ridiculous about this. Am sure many of us would have gone through the same during our car/home purchase situations.

Given that you are just into your first job & a 5L car would be stretching it too much + the fact that you are new to stick-shift and Indian driving, the Alto seems the best fit for you. Also this would leave you with enough cash for savings + fuel etc without restricting other expenses. It would also meet all the 4 points in your first list in the previous post. A Spark would have been good too, but you dont like the looks. So...

So get a new Alto, drive around for a couple of years till you get used to the Indian traffic. And then if the desire to live on the edge is still there, get a bigger car. The Alto would come to your aid at that point also, given the high resale value it commands. Or keep the Alto as a city runabout.

After 1-2 years, you can upgrade to a bigger car to meet the next list of 3 requirements in your list above.
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:55   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Nope. Nothing ridiculous about this. Am sure many of us would have gone through the same during our car/home purchase situations.

Given that you are just into your first job & a 5L car would be stretching it too much + the fact that you are new to stick-shift and Indian driving, the Alto seems the best fit for you. Also this would leave you with enough cash for savings + fuel etc without restricting other expenses. It would also meet all the 4 points in your first list in the previous post. A Spark would have been good too, but you dont like the looks. So...

So get a new Alto, drive around for a couple of years till you get used to the Indian traffic. And then if the desire to live on the edge is still there, get a bigger car. The Alto would come to your aid at that point also, given the high resale value it commands. Or keep the Alto as a city runabout.

After 1-2 years, you can upgrade to a bigger car to meet the next list of 3 requirements in your list above.
Thanks SB for the encouraging words. The more I think about it the more I feel I'm making the correct choice. Let's see how all of this turns out in the end.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:52   #50
Senior - BHPian

[quote=JustCause;1862952]

I don't suggest Alto for 'comfort', it is a Go-kart enthusiast's city car, Wagon-R is so very much comfortable & ergonomic in seating.

[quote]

I guess this line sums up our views on why you should not go in for the alto. And as someone else on the thread mentioned, not even one enjoys just driving any car. For me, I would rather walk, than to drive in something that is not comfortable. Or take the public transport.

Not the Alto is a bad car or anything, but if you can afford something better, then go for it. My stand is for a used Wagon R or Santro for a year or so should be a good deal for you

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 4th May 2010 at 12:53. Reason: For some reason, the multi quote is not showing up properly
Old 9th May 2010, 13:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:

1.Complete my 40 KM, super dense traffic commute in comfort with some ease. (To anyone familiar with Hitech City - Tarnaka route along begumpet should know what I'm saying) This requires an A/C to keep the crap out and super FE to compensate for the stop-n-go movement.
2.Ability to take parents out together without having to spend on the tin-can Auto, exposed to elements or on two separate two-wheelers which is a pain, especially since my parents have ventured into the 'aging' territory.
3. Be able to plan short trips from the city with friends without having to rely on cabs or drivers.
4. Be able to save a significant portion of my salary for the future.

However, these requirements contradict with the other side of me:

1. To have a car with snob value and/or respect on the road.
2. To be able to spend at will without caring for the future - living on the edge.
3. To upgrade my lifestyle.

Thankfully, the 'good' side of me has started to overpower me and I'm going for a high-FE, OK for short trips car - the Alto. I just have to make sure the 'other' side of me doesn't take over before I buy it.

My 'other' side has woken up. I'm screwed! I'm booking a BEAT on Mon/Tue. Why not the Figo? I test-'rode' the BEAT and fell in love with it. I am letting go off Alto because with the new version I found myself saying the word 'compromise' too often and I felt I deserve this one-time pampering of a 'good' car. I hope I'm not wrong (crosses fingers).
Old 10th May 2010, 10:38   #52
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I deserve this one-time pampering of a 'good' car. I hope I'm not wrong (crosses fingers).
You certainly aren't (wrong). Remember, the better the car that you buy, the longer you'll hold on to it. Generally, this works out cheaper in the longer run I had a feeling, from your previous posts, that you viewed the Alto as too much of a compromise.

Good luck with the Beat. Drive safe, and don't forget to share a complete ownership review which may be helpful to other forum users.
Old 10th May 2010, 12:54   #53
BHPian

GTO, thanks a lot for your support. Since this is my first car, there is some fear and happiness combined.

Sure. I'll definitely post about the entire buying experience and let you guys know how everything goes and how the BEAT runs on road.
Old 11th May 2010, 02:06   #54

Hi,
Since I am also from hyd and seriously considering chevy beat as my first hatch, so please post the on road price along with the break, any freebies or discounts and the name of the dealer.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.syedfarhan View Post
Hi,
Since I am also from hyd and seriously considering chevy beat as my first hatch, so please post the on road price along with the break, any freebies or discounts and the name of the dealer.
Getting it for approx. Rs4,40,000/- on road for metallic and Rs4,33,000 non-metallic on road.
No regular discounts, no corporate discounts, nothing. One dealer is offering free mats, mud-flaps, etc, while the other is offering nothing. The two showrooms I'm talking about are the Orange Chevrolet at banjara hills and Kun Chevrolet at Kondapur.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:32   #56
BHPian

Booked a Black BEAT LS for 4,31,129/- excluding permanent registration charges. Booked at KUN Chevy showroom since I heard not-so-good reviews about Orange Chevy. KUN does have a Black BEAT at the warehouse at RTC X Road. I plan to take a look at it before committing to take it. The entire procedure for booking went very smoothly, however I felt slightly over-charged for temp-registration (Rs500 vs Rs80 at the reg. office). I'm getting some goodies for free since there were no discounts on the car. I'm getting Mud Flaps, Mats, Seat Covers, Sun Film and Teflon. However, I'm not sure if I should get the teflon coating since I've heard many horror stories on our forum.

Next step would be getting the car ICEd - the main question - at the showroom or outside?
Old 19th May 2010, 00:29   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Booked a Black BEAT LS for 4,31,129/- excluding permanent registration charges. Booked at KUN Chevy showroom since I heard not-so-good reviews about Orange Chevy. KUN does have a Black BEAT at the warehouse at RTC X Road. I plan to take a look at it before committing to take it. The entire procedure for booking went very smoothly, however I felt slightly over-charged for temp-registration (Rs500 vs Rs80 at the reg. office). I'm getting some goodies for free since there were no discounts on the car. I'm getting Mud Flaps, Mats, Seat Covers, Sun Film and Teflon. However, I'm not sure if I should get the teflon coating since I've heard many horror stories on our forum.

Next step would be getting the car ICEd - the main question - at the showroom or outside?
Hey Hellmet,

am glad that you took my advice instead of going for the one true compromise called the Alto. I have also booked the Beat & hence right from the start was advising you about the Beat/i10.. (check my earlier posts)

I think Beat is a very smart buy in this current hatch market alongwith the Figo..

Do share your ownership experience & fist drive impression, etc.
Old 19th May 2010, 01:06   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I know it's a weird comparison,
it is for sure. what do you think this forum is for? helping in making weird choices?
Old 19th May 2010, 09:12   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Hey Hellmet,

Your getting some goodies i must say...instead of Teflon try getting it ICED from the dealer itself...
Old 19th May 2010, 10:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

@hellmet, congrats on the Beat. Nice car.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks