Team-BHP > What Car? > Hatchbacks
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:31   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
I was just wondering when did the Palio go of this list.

It is still in the race - to ByDesign's garage!! Whether it's going to win or not - we'll come to know soon..
haha

Ok, before I go any further, how much do you think I should ask for the Palio Stile 1.3 SDE variant? I do have an offer already from the showroom, but apparently the car is still there, no one has bought it in over a week. How much do you think I can bargain for?
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:36   #77
BHPian

Hi,

I have been drinving the Punto MJD as well as the Vista Qjd - (both have the same diesel engine as the Palio Stile) and I should say that these are a jem of an engine.

Also Fiat knows there stuff very well as far as driving pleasure is concerned. So Fiat Stile QJD is a very good buy. Buy it and you will not regret.

As for the discount - I am not sure but higher the better

Again buy the Fiat

Regards,
Kailash
Old 22nd July 2010, 23:39   #78
Senior - BHPian

ByDesign, I have already given my comments in this post:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1976673

Let me also add, that there are issues with availability of Palio-specific spares at times (and they are expensive, especially in case of an accident replacement) but the MJD specific parts are usually common.

One thing I would like to stress on very strongly: any car from the Tata-Fiat stables have similar quality issues (and no great quality control, either). Do not reject the Palio for this reason because the Punto, Linea and Vista are also made side-by-side on the same assembly line in Ranjangaon by the same workforce as the Palio. How do you expect a difference in quality, then?

As far as the engine is concerned (since you have mentioned "engine troubles" in your worried-sounding PM), the engine is the one thing, apart from the Ride and Handling that helps you forget everything else.

I have seen my share of seized and opened up Multijet engines at Fiat A.S.S., and I have always been told that they are this way because some owners did not service and change oil in the car for 20,000 km.

I am yet to hear (personally) about engine trouble from any owner of a Tata-Fiat Multijet engined car who has followed the service schedule and taken it easy during run-in. An engine can stop (or stall at 2000 RPM in fifth gear in a turbo-lag, as some of us have experienced) once or twice, but I haven't heard of any serious engine trouble with this one. I don't call a failed starter motor engine trouble.

Heavy clutch, yes. Parcel tray rattles and squeaking seats and beadings, yes. Dashboard rattles at 1200 RPM, yes. Engine trouble, no, atleast from those who have been looking after their cars.
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:29   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
haha

Ok, before I go any further, how much do you think I should ask for the Palio Stile 1.3 SDE variant? I do have an offer already from the showroom, but apparently the car is still there, no one has bought it in over a week. How much do you think I can bargain for?
I had attached Fiat's communication to the dealers in May 2010 regarding the Palio Stile Dhamaka offer (link given below). If you read it carefully you'll find the dealer's commission mentioned there. Do the bargaining based on that.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1991611-post104.html

In case the SDE is a 2009 model its price is Rs. 3,39,318. Assume that the person who booked the car had paid 25,000 (non-refundable). Take that and shave off at least another 25,000 from the dealer's commission. You should get the 2009 SDE at 2,90,000. Compare the car with an Alto now.

As far as the car itself is concerned, mine is behaving excellently, in spite of less than stellar A**. I believe, in case you do buy the Stile, you will go to the same TASS where architect gets his car serviced and you are likely to have a better experience.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 23rd July 2010 at 08:42.
Old 23rd July 2010, 09:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

I dont want to increase your cnfusion but is it not possible to very slightly increase your budget of 5L and get the Figo TDCi EXi? Its around 5.20OTR here not sure about your place.

If you are planning to keep the car for more than 3-4 years i suggest you stay away from the TATA stable. I really dont have first hand experience with the Vista but i have my doubts on how long the car will hold on its newness.

The Palio MJD should surely not be on your radar now. Its quite old and its almost phased out. Fiat is unable to provide timely assistance to existing cars so we really dont need to discuss phased out ones. But the MJD at that price is quite tempting and if you dont mind finding out a private garage who "knows" to maintain a FIAT. That would be a real good choice only if you dont mind the vibrations reaching the gear lever / inside cabin on the palio MJD.

Punto 1.2 Active? Well i would not want to buy it after hearing stories on the horrendous quality of plastics on that variant. Especially since i dont get any of those goodies that the Punto comes with except for the outer look.

I suggest you seriously think about the Figo TDCi. After 6K of running i feel its a substitute for FIAT lovers who dont want to go through the FIAT ownership experience again and are willing to compromise slightly on the ride comfort / drivers delight part for this.

AS someone already suggested check out the U-Va too. The free maintenance package would give you peace of mind for another 3 years and you could cut a good deal on that car. Its a quite capable car for sure. Easy to drive in city and very stable, comfortable and silent on highways. I suggest you check out both the Figo TDCi and the U-Va before you take a decision.

Now that the dilemma has reached this far, Adding these cars would help you make an informed decision.

Last edited by gemithomas : 23rd July 2010 at 09:23.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:34   #81
Senior - BHPian

Has your mind drifted towards Palio again? Myself and 3 other have booked the Palio SDX in last 24 hours or so. Many more are interested and trying to work out the finances necessary.

Hope you finally make a good choice and bring home the one that really suits you. Keep us updated!
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:41   #82
Senior - BHPian

Wow man, You sure are in a tight spot with which car to finally choose. Personally, although i like the Palio, i feel it is old now and i would advise you not to go for it. The price is very tempting, but with quite a few complaints of no spare parts for Fiat's newer cars (Punto & Linea), my confidence level for the Palio is low. I see no problems with the engine, but with the other minor things you might face.

Its either the Punto 1.2 or the Vista for me then. The 1.2 fire/safire feels a lot peppier in the Vista obviously due to the weight advantage, but the joy of driving a Punto is something worth buying the car for.

If the budget permits, the Figo diesel is a good choice i would say.

Happy decision making !
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:02   #83
BHPian

I have been driving my Indica Xeta GLX for more than 3.5 years now. No problems other than the one front left power window ( it didn't go up smoothly), this problem was sorted out over a period of time.

This car has taken me to the seas, in the mountains and bumper to bumper Pune traffic. Never a problem.

Vista being more refined, go with it, you won't regret the decision.
Old 23rd July 2010, 17:31   #84
BHPian

@Bydesign

Lots of people will have lots of things to say about TATA but from my personal experience TATA cars are as good as any other car in India and often better.:Period

IMO the negative reaction to TATA is mainly due to "sour points" scored by owners during A.S.S. So to that extent you can normalise the bias.

One more thing, in your budget drivtech4 is one hell of a drivers car. If you want to enjoy driving, go for DIESEL petrol lacks the grunt vis-a-vis weight etc.

happy hunting
cheers
Old 23rd July 2010, 21:11   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
I had attached Fiat's communication to the dealers in May 2010 regarding the Palio Stile Dhamaka offer (link given below). If you read it carefully you'll find the dealer's commission mentioned there. Do the bargaining based on that.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1991611-post104.html

In case the SDE is a 2009 model its price is Rs. 3,39,318. Assume that the person who booked the car had paid 25,000 (non-refundable). Take that and shave off at least another 25,000 from the dealer's commission. You should get the 2009 SDE at 2,90,000. Compare the car with an Alto now.

As far as the car itself is concerned, mine is behaving excellently, in spite of less than stellar A**. I believe, in case you do buy the Stile, you will go to the same TASS where architect gets his car serviced and you are likely to have a better experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
I dont want to increase your cnfusion but is it not possible to very slightly increase your budget of 5L and get the Figo TDCi EXi? Its around 5.20OTR here not sure about your place.

If you are planning to keep the car for more than 3-4 years i suggest you stay away from the TATA stable. I really dont have first hand experience with the Vista but i have my doubts on how long the car will hold on its newness.

The Palio MJD should surely not be on your radar now. Its quite old and its almost phased out. Fiat is unable to provide timely assistance to existing cars so we really dont need to discuss phased out ones. But the MJD at that price is quite tempting and if you dont mind finding out a private garage who "knows" to maintain a FIAT. That would be a real good choice only if you dont mind the vibrations reaching the gear lever / inside cabin on the palio MJD.

Punto 1.2 Active? Well i would not want to buy it after hearing stories on the horrendous quality of plastics on that variant. Especially since i dont get any of those goodies that the Punto comes with except for the outer look.

I suggest you seriously think about the Figo TDCi. After 6K of running i feel its a substitute for FIAT lovers who dont want to go through the FIAT ownership experience again and are willing to compromise slightly on the ride comfort / drivers delight part for this.

AS someone already suggested check out the U-Va too. The free maintenance package would give you peace of mind for another 3 years and you could cut a good deal on that car. Its a quite capable car for sure. Easy to drive in city and very stable, comfortable and silent on highways. I suggest you check out both the Figo TDCi and the U-Va before you take a decision.

Now that the dilemma has reached this far, Adding these cars would help you make an informed decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Has your mind drifted towards Palio again? Myself and 3 other have booked the Palio SDX in last 24 hours or so. Many more are interested and trying to work out the finances necessary.

Hope you finally make a good choice and bring home the one that really suits you. Keep us updated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Wow man, You sure are in a tight spot with which car to finally choose. Personally, although i like the Palio, i feel it is old now and i would advise you not to go for it. The price is very tempting, but with quite a few complaints of no spare parts for Fiat's newer cars (Punto & Linea), my confidence level for the Palio is low. I see no problems with the engine, but with the other minor things you might face.

Its either the Punto 1.2 or the Vista for me then. The 1.2 fire/safire feels a lot peppier in the Vista obviously due to the weight advantage, but the joy of driving a Punto is something worth buying the car for.

If the budget permits, the Figo diesel is a good choice i would say.

Happy decision making !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
I have been driving my Indica Xeta GLX for more than 3.5 years now. No problems other than the one front left power window ( it didn't go up smoothly), this problem was sorted out over a period of time.

This car has taken me to the seas, in the mountains and bumper to bumper Pune traffic. Never a problem.

Vista being more refined, go with it, you won't regret the decision.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
@Bydesign

Lots of people will have lots of things to say about TATA but from my personal experience TATA cars are as good as any other car in India and often better.:Period

IMO the negative reaction to TATA is mainly due to "sour points" scored by owners during A.S.S. So to that extent you can normalise the bias.

One more thing, in your budget drivtech4 is one hell of a drivers car. If you want to enjoy driving, go for DIESEL petrol lacks the grunt vis-a-vis weight etc.

happy hunting
cheers

I've decided to respond to all these comments collectively! I've fixed up another TD session tomorrow! I'll surely try and bring down the Palio SDE down. 4Lacs on road seems criminal for a car that costs 2.9! I don't want to think about Ford now, but if nothing works out at the Tata/Fiat stable, then I might look at other possibilities. Photos and updates after the TD tomorrow! Wish me luck!
Old 24th July 2010, 23:19   #86
BHPian

Update: Went to the showroom today with my dad. Test drove the Linea and saw the Manza for him. BUT more importantly, I've decided to go for the Palio 1.3 MJD.

While some of you might think it's foolish to go backwards like this in time (exactly like what I thought a few posts ago haha) I just can't stop thinking about that car. Maybe it's the simplicity of it. Maybe it's the way the doors go THUD when I shut them. Maybe it's because it's a dying breed. It just clicks with me inside, and I know I want it for my first car.

Now, moving on, I went to the counter to talk prices but there were two guys already sitting there and bargaining for the palio. They decided to discuss the final price and get back to the showroom in the evening! I don't know if the palio is already sold as I type this. But I should be able to make a down payment in the next few days. Fingers crossed!
Old 24th July 2010, 23:22   #87
Senior - BHPian

^^ A good decision. I too have booked one. You can join the discussion going on in this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-sdx-4-2l.html
Old 25th July 2010, 00:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

The wonders of life never cease!

A car that was struggling to move out of the showrooms into the roads has now multiple customers bargaining for one last piece. Is it sheer passion for owning the last Palio Multijet or is it the impact of drastic price cut?
Old 25th July 2010, 06:28   #89
Senior - BHPian

^ I agree Architect. When the Palio was available all these days, I did not buy it. The news that the model is phasing out has got a rush of blood in me and I want a new any cost. Same with many of my friends. Very strange feeling it is, but true.
Old 25th July 2010, 10:00   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
The wonders of life never cease!

A car that was struggling to move out of the showrooms into the roads has now multiple customers bargaining for one last piece. Is it sheer passion for owning the last Palio Multijet or is it the impact of drastic price cut?
A very worthy point Architect. Let me just say, that if the palio SDE was its originally marketed price at about 5.2L on road, I would have considered a newer one like the punto diesel. First things first, 5L and above is over my budget. Therefore, I was predisposed to looking at petrol cars. Hence the punto 1.2 and the indica safire and NOT the quadrajet. Then suddenly this palio jumps up. The only sacrifices I'm making is no luxuries like rear wiper defogger, no rear power windows and the interiors are old skool (which I love). Otherwise it's great value for money and the car itself has such a charisma, it's unbelievable. I hope I didn't confuse.

PS: I might have seen you driving on my way back home yesterday in the south ex traffic jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
^ I agree Architect. When the Palio was available all these days, I did not buy it. The news that the model is phasing out has got a rush of blood in me and I want a new any cost. Same with many of my friends. Very strange feeling it is, but true.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks