Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2021, 08:13   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda dealership fills the wrong oil in my City's CVT transmission!

Yes sure but the replacement is close to a gallon of fluid (say 3.7 litres). Did they drain that much out each time?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 06:13   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yes sure but the replacement is close to a gallon of fluid (say 3.7 litres). Did they drain that much out each time?
Yes they did. Apologies for the delay and thanks. Cos after refill using 4 x 1 litre bottles, there remained just about 200ml.
Since the car was given to Honda, Mapusa and I was stuck in Kerala for 4 to 5 months (since Feb) due to lock down and the 2nd wave, couldn't check the progress of work, so that's time lost or time paused.
Returned to Goa and after watching myself a few days, visited the showroom, they mentioned they've calibrated the gearbox, I had a short spin and it was fine so took it home after conveying that I'll get it back if I observe any inconsistency.
Went out for an extended spin yesterday, since with WFH, increased work keeps me occupied all other days, and came back disappointed, will give the car back to them, the issue persists, moreover now it appears the car isn't shifting to 4th.
Shared these links with the ASC rep there since their manager politely tried reasoning saying that CVT's are new to them and it's only a calibration error.
I fear for the new Honda's going CVT way, no one has a clue and there's no material they can cross check with. Honda goofed up with the training process and material.
Will update this.

https://aamcochesterva.com/wrong-fluid-in-car/

https://www.aamcocolorado.com/what-h...uid-in-my-car/

Last edited by s_pphilip : 26th July 2021 at 06:16.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 10:43   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
ASC rep there since their manager politely tried reasoning saying that CVT's are new to them and it's only a calibration error.
This is where you ask the offending dealership to have Honda evaluate the gearbox and provide a goodwill replacement.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 14:46   #49
BHPian

Quote:
This is where you ask the offending dealership to have Honda evaluate the gearbox and provide a goodwill replacement.
Thanks Hserus, Looks like as you advised I have to switch to replacement mode from repair mode as Coastal Honda is just playing around.

Honda service folks are not very competent when it comes to understanding CVT's and I see signs of danger here, they don't even know which type of gear box is used in which models and considering Honda has CVT's all around in current portfolio, this is a disaster waiting to happen to too many.

Its better to purchase another brand with a TC and not wait for Honda ASC to mess its CVT. I stopped suggesting CVT's and asked my cousin to check the Rapid TC instead of the Honda CVT. Not sure about technical competence but at least the Skoda guys know the difference between a DSG and TC.

The Honda sales manager admitted that they are good with regular work but these are complex and they have no expertise or training in such, I asked him a simple question, if so why should I approach a ASC, I can get the all the work done from a FNG while standing next to my car inside 30 mins rather than waste half a day for oil change and not allowed near the car, I find no good reason to visit a ASC when I have access to far more competent FNG's.

Another mechanic shared a contrasting opinion that CVT's are sealed for life in the middle east and its a typical dealership tactic to push customers and sell them oil. Not sure of this though but I made a mistake changing oil with the dealer and had I not changed the oil this car would have been working perfectly.

I haven't updated this thread in the recent couple months since there wasn't anything substantial in my back & forth with Coastal Honda but I visited the ASC thrice after being called by the Manager there stating everything works fine and each time I returned the car the next day stating nothing is corrected.

Apparently they would just flash the error code and since it would not immediately appear, call me to take the car and after I drove it a little bit the gear box issues would surface since no amount of errors cleared, fixes the box, I find this lousy service from Honda, looks like Honda is not genuinely interested to fix it.

The service manager moreover said since the error code mentions a Solenoid Actuator issue, it is electronic and has nothing to do with the wrong oil change or CVT gear box, if this was some where else I would walk away cos no point educating, but since its my car I asked him whether he understands what is the function of the Solenoid / Actuator and whether he understands it controls the valves in the CVT box which in turn controls the oil flow which is messed up since they screwed up with the wrong grade & type thereby destroying the sensitive CVT working and he could google for more information as it is all there online.

I don't think he understood anything cos he was mumbling and confessed they have no clue but I left it there asking him to repair it for me by seeking some professional help.

So cutting short, they called me to collect the car stating now it works fine and I picked it yesterday and guess what, the issue persists and its even worse, the car wouldn't roll when crossing Mapusa city.

I need to escalate to Honda India since this issue is held up for a year, any suggestions how to, will be valuable. I have wasted a years comprehensive insurance cover for a car sitting idle in their Karaswada service center, not to miss the car being exposed to the elements and degrading, since they would not maintain air pressures, one of the tires wore off prematurely.

I had got the passing done, repaired the suspension and purchased a official duplicate spare key last year and hoped to use this car for another 5 years but Coastal Honda totally crashed my plans.

Despite 3 Honda cars at home, my wife is clear we are not purchasing another Honda CVT ever and never visiting Coastal Honda for any service cos they honestly have no clue about AT's, zero knowledge, Period.

I know its not this cars fault, this is easily a car which could run perfectly for 3 lakh kms with out any issues and its currently done only a lakh. But Honda does not seem to educate its support staff on necessary knowledge and that is not honestly comforting. I doubt whether the service staff is given any training on how to work on cars or is it just that they learn by practicing on customer cars.

On a side note I found this is relatable when I called Nexa about the XL6 / Ertiga AT (I prefer), not that I plan a purchase but this debacle is pushing me to those thoughts. I asked the sales guy about the AT features and he said XL6 has a Torque Converter and Ertiga has a AMT, which in his own words is a mix of a CVT and AMT, now that is the highest level of BS I could digest.

I am not sure how does one invest in staff who have no clue what they do, what are the typical interview questions, is only whether one is willing to work on all holidays and extra hours and questions relating to the product is irrelevant. Don't they even invest 10 mins reading or watching a video about the product they sell. Customers like me have to bear the burns of this ignorance.

I know this sounds like a rant but looks like I have been patient for too long, I have a car that worked beautiful till a year back now trashed lying at home and its painful to look or think about it all. Honda has to replace my GB for FREE and compensate for my time, money and energy wasted.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 29th September 2021 at 15:02.
s_pphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 15:18   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Since you have put so much effort, how about checking local scrapyard for a totaled CVT model and get the transmission from it, change the oil to the right spec and quantity and fit it in your car? I feel you are better off channeling your time and energy in this direction than taking it up with Honda. You might get a better outcome.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 15:32   #51
BHPian

Quote:
+1 to this. Coastal Honda should replace the gearbox. Do negotiate with Honda and Coastal Honda. If not in full, at least get them to bear the bulk of the cost.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 17:44   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
... how about checking local scrapyard for a totaled CVT model and get the transmission from it .... You might get a better outcome.
Thanks but too many variables here that I may not have direct control on, though not impossible, secondly its easier to find a needle in a haystack since Goa is a small market and its only in recent times that AT's have gained acceptance after Maruti / Hyundai onslaught.

I am trying to figure the next moves, I am moving away from repair to replacement mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
+1 to this. Coastal Honda should replace the gearbox. Do negotiate with Honda and Coastal Honda. If not in full, at least get them to bear the bulk of the cost.
If Honda is honest about this, yes it should be replaced by the Coastal dealer as its there for everyone to see in the bills that they messed it and there is enough technical information online which states the wrong oil should be avoided especially when its a CVT.
The TVM dealer which is the oldest in KL, made me wait 2 weeks to order and receive the right oil, such is the precision they displayed.

But the real question is, are they (Coastal + Honda) going to be honest enough, partly cos of ignorance and partly cos the usual mentality is to shift the blame back to the customer or some where else.
Till now they have delayed it assuming this wait till you blink game will tire the customer to accept the compromise.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 29th September 2021 at 17:45.
s_pphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 20:10   #53
BHPian

So today, about a year (Nov 2020 to Nov 2021) after the debacle, we have found some closure, taking the option to settle it once and for all, of course that also means we are taking a couple of steps back.

We had 3 options in front of us:
1) Insist on the entire gear box being replaced or repaired at Coastal Honda's expense.
2) Approach consumer courts with the proofs we have in hand and let the law takes its course, (I must confess I toyed with this thought since it would allow us to figure the process of the courts, verdict being secondary).
3) Settle with Caculo at a mutually agreeable number, knowing very well we will be the ones taking a hit but importantly close and move on, with out investing further time.

This discussions has been on what's app for about 2 weeks and I visited the showroom today to finalize the move ahead. Coastal Honda will purchase the car from us at 70k, they started with 50k and finalized 70K, I was looking at about 80k to 90k considering the current market demand but eventually agreed since I also wanted to keep this discussion at a purely professional and polite level, since I value human relations and want to build positive networks.

I realize fully well had I stood my ground and acted as an irate customer, I could possibly have fetched 5k to 10k more, but that would involve theatrics and considering the bandwidth already consumed we went ahead with the settlement.

I know the money spent in accumulating those CVT oil cans, purchasing new tires, painting the car etc goes down the drain along. I skipped on renewing the insurance 2 weeks back so some respite there.
More over the car sitting in the back yard at the show room has been slowly deteriorating and I suppose it will involve good money behind bad money. They haven't been maintaining the air pressures and couple of tires have prematurely worn, more over the car has been in the open weather for about a year.

This has been a bit heavy for us, I am grateful to this car, it will always be special, it has given us a lot to take pride in with associated happy memories, importantly it singularly changed my spouse from a introverted girl to some sort of extrovert, a shift that carries immense value.

Coastal has given us the RTO forms to be signed and they have the RC card with them now, they claim they will wire transfer the amount in 15 days. I told them clearly to not drag it and make it 3 months, which is typical of corporations citing various reasons from the accountant being absent to banks on holidays.

I must acknowledge the professionalism displayed by Edna Correia (Asst. Manager, Coastal) while walking with me to close this, I know we went ahead with a compromise. I am also hugely grateful to Hserus and all the BHPians, who have been along with me sharing inputs from the time I posted this debacle. You all have made this journey a little less excruciating and all the suggestions added value and perspective.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 16th November 2021 at 20:15.
s_pphilip is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2021, 11:19   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Since... outcome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsjey View Post
+1 ...
lsjey
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueIndia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileThunder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by raunaqv471 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreevishnu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OctYFAN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivSharma View Post
:...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreevishnu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmasthan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
Starting from Jaggu, thank you one and all, wanted to thank everyone personally, appreciate everyone trying to help here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
3) Settle with Caculo.... Coastal Honda will purchase the car from us at 70k ...
Coastal has given us the RTO forms ...I am also hugely grateful to Hserus and all the BHPians, ...
What are the documents I should watch for since we are selling to caculo group and not an end customer, there's a fat chance they'll find another car to swap few units and maybe list the car for sale internally or outside, I'm certain they'll have ways to source used parts to salvage the situation, we don't want to bear the brunt in future due to another errant issue cropping up hence want to keep it straightforward and legal in the interest of saving time in future. Cheers to Jaggu, Hresus and everyone, Thanks.
Old 17th November 2021, 12:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Just get the form 29/30 etc and send a xerox along with form tcr to the concerned RTO where your car is registered. Also another copy to your insurer.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 19:32   #56
BHPian

The local Honda dealer wire transferred the amount and this chapter is closed, we signed the papers and the car now is theirs, shook hands with their GM, Oscar who came across a fine gentle man and he's assured everything is legal and straight forward, thanks to everyone at team bhp for all the help and support. Compliments of the festive season to all. Wishing everyone a wonderful 2022 as well in advance.
s_pphilip is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks