Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Indian Car Dealerships
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2022, 01:31   #16

re: Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer

I recently noticed in a YouTube video that the plate mounting holes on the Alcazar are not punctured from the factory, the dealer has to drill through it, it's weird because on other cars holes are already punctured. You need to clarify that they didn't create another hole by drilling.
Manualpurist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 09:15   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
No, it won't lead to any water issues. Yes you will have to drill the rivets. No, your existing holes would be filled with new rivets. You can see all this by removing the cover of boot from inside. You will be able to see the rivets too.

Every car has two points in the boot or bumper where plates are riveted. There are no other points where plates can be affixed unless they drill directly to the car's body i.e Boot. If they did that then you have larger problems than just misaligned plate and then your justification for 50k would seem right.

To fix this, just tell them to get one plate, they are available as a single piece. This time tell them to fix it properly.

Speaking all this from experience. My first set of plates had turned completely white, had no option but to get them replaced.
Unfortunately Hyundai doesn’t provide any guide holes in Alcazar like it’s other cars. It’s like a blank canvas.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer-8551fb7a6dec465995f08e8974fc745f.jpeg  

Ragin_Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 10:32   #18
Team-BHP Support

Replacing the whole hatch door just sounds like a more painful solution to me. Paint-matching, alignment, all the electrical routing, etc etc.

I'd consider drilling out the existing rivets. I think you can get by with a same-sized drill bit rather than an oversized one.

Then create a new hole for either the left or right rivet (depending on what height level of plate you prefer).

Then close up the old hole with another rivet (which goes behind the plate, not through it). It will be a very good and long-lasting seal / protection against water etc.

And drill a new hole for the new rivet (which attaches the plate on that side).

Only concern here is whether the new whole will overlap the old hole -- which would be an issue for this process.

Pop-rivets aren't a big deal, and you'll see how using an extra one of these will also plug the old hole pretty well.

This is what a new rivet looks like:
Name:  poprivet500x500.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  13.1 KB

And here's how the process works (animated):
Name:  popriv3.gif
Views: 625
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  NeatWindingCaracalmax1mb.gif
Views: 639
Size:  785.6 KB

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2022 at 10:38.
Rehaan is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:25   #19
Team-BHP Support

Re: Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer

May be a stupid suggestion, but how about just ordering a new number plate. Make sure the number plate is straight and re use the same rivet holes even though they may be at different levels. At least the number plate will be straight, and the rivets are different levels will be less noticeable. No need to drill more holes, block holes, change the boot, etc.
Akshay1234 is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:33   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Replacing the whole hatch door just sounds like a more painful solution to me. Paint-matching, alignment, all the electrical routing, etc etc.

I'd consider drilling out the existing rivets. I think you can get by with a same-sized drill bit rather than an oversized one.
Thanks Rehaan. I think they will only replace the part where the number plate is mounted not the entire boot door but to get there it may require uninstalling additional bits.

I will wait for the boot part to arrive (it will come painted from Hyundai) as I don’t want to be in a situation where re-reviting is unsalvageable and another hole needs to be drilled.

I was also thinking if instead of drilling another hole in the boot, one gets a new number plate and makes a hole in the number plate to align with the misalignment on the boot to level it out. Yes the number plate will have holes at different levels but it’s better than having a crooked number plate.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2022 at 11:41. Reason: Shortening quoted post
Ragin_Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 11:42   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Make sure the number plate is straight and re use the same rivet holes even though they may be at different levels. At least the number plate will be straight, and the rivets are different levels will be less noticeable. No need to drill more holes, block holes, change the boot, etc.
+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Ice View Post
I was also thinking if instead of drilling another hole in the boot, one gets a new number plate and makes a hole in the number plate to align with the misalignment on the boot to level it out. Yes the number plate will have holes at different levels but it’s better than having a crooked number plate.

That's actually a really smart solution. You can even paint over the rivets in white to help them be less visible.

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th July 2022 at 11:43.
Rehaan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 13:45   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Is sticking the new high security plates with tape allowed? I was under the impression that riveting it is mandatory.
In some states it is mandatory, but in Mumbai I haven't faced any issues though I am not aware of legal status.
Cops here are more focused on catching those with small number plates, etc.
Old 27th July 2022, 14:35   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai has asked the dealership to replace the boot panel as the issue is unfixable.
While it's upto you to decide if you want to do this, I personally think for a couple of rivets replacing a boot panel is just too much.

Again, while I agree, a crooked looking number plate and a difficult looking corrective measure on your brand new car is heartbreaking, you need to understand that a car is primarily a piece of machinery. And, those are just two rivets, which is probably the most simple securing measure.

Also, now that you've raised this issue to the dealer/Hyundai and they've realized their mistake, go to a good accessory shop/number plate shop, pay 400rs and get the plate fixed the right way. Save your time, Hyundai's time, dealers time and more..

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2022 at 13:57. Reason: Cleaning up
dhanushs is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 14:42   #24
BHPian

Please send a legal notice claiming compensation for damages. The dealership will not take action until they receive a legal document mentioning the damage and mental trauma you and your family have to go through. Rs.50,000 compensation seems very reasonable considering the time you will have to invest in getting this fixed.

Best of luck!
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 18:04   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately Hyundai doesn’t provide any guide holes in Alcazar like it’s other cars. It’s like a blank canvas.
Incorrect. There are 3 sets of very noticeable dimples of varied lengths to suit your number plate on the hatch door of Alcazar. You need someone doing a really shoddy work to miss those while installing the plates. Here's the picture from our own official review thread where the dimples are clearly noticeable. Verified the same in person with an actual car as well. Though these may not be holes, but still they are hard to miss. If those guides were missing in your car to begin with, then the dealership has some real explaining to do.

Name:  az.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  55.1 KB

The most easy and inexpensive solution, as given by some other members is to get a new plate and its hole drilled in alignment to the existing holes of your car. That way the holes on car will remain where they are but at least the plate will be straight.

Last edited by saket77 : 27th July 2022 at 18:18.
saket77 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th July 2022, 18:34   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Incorrect. There are 3 sets of very noticeable dimples of varied lengths to suit your number plate on the hatch door of Alcazar. You need someone doing a really shoddy work to miss those while installing the plates. Here's the picture from our own official review thread where the dimples are clearly noticeable. Verified the same in person with an actual car as well. Though these may not be holes, but still they are hard to miss. If those guides were missing in your car to begin with, then the dealership has some real explaining to do.

Attachment 2339143

The most easy and inexpensive solution, as given by some other members is to get a new plate and its hole drilled in alignment to the existing holes of your car. That way the holes on car will remain where they are but at least the plate will be straight.
Thanks for bringing it to my notice. I missed seeing it.
Old 27th July 2022, 18:42   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Also, now that you've raised this issue to the dealer/Hyundai and they've realized their mistake, go to a good accessory shop/number plate shop, pay 400rs and get the plate fixed the right way. Save your time, Hyundai's time, dealers time and more..
New HSRP plates are only given to registered dealers and I have no choice but to use the services of Arsh Hyundai to get a new HSRP plate.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2022 at 13:59. Reason: Cleaning up
Ragin_Ice is offline   Received Infraction
Old 28th July 2022, 10:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai has asked the dealership to replace the boot panel as the issue is unfixable.
Exactly what I said. The dealership and manufacturer are ready to assist you to solve your concern and they are not really washing their hands off it.

Many members have already mentioned how you can fix the issue legally.

Quote:
Why should I not ask for compensation for the inconvenience that I have endured trying to get the right resolution?
In my humble opinion, your expectations should be limited to getting your issues resolved. Setting unrealistic demands will put off the dealer's & manufacturer's attitude who is now willing to assist you in every way. Anyways, to each his own.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2022 at 14:01. Reason: Cleaning up
raj_5004 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 10:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Also, to add, they have put up the Arsh Hyundai sticker right in the center of the rear windshield blocking my vision! and of course without my consent.
No biggie,

You just need to add another sticker.

Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer-arsh.jpg

I'm sure they'll come running to your residence 50kms away with all the required tools.
viXit is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 11:23   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Its not an easy fix.

To remove the existing riveted plate one has to drill through the rivet which widens the hole in the fibre/plastic panel and re-riveting it will give it a lose fit.
It is not a big job that would need the replacement of the entire boot door.

Regarding fixing the number plate, they will have to drill through the rivet, which will pop the rivet out and will not widen the hole. Once the number plate is taken out they will place it in the frame and drill a hole through the plastic frame, through the existing hole on the plate. All you would need is an additional hole on the boot door, using one of the existing hole and keeping everything in level. They will insert the rivet through the number plate, which will pass through the plate and frame to the boot door. The rivets used for these number plates are different from the common ones we use for aluminium fab works, dealerships have these in stock.

How do I know? I have done this myself when my Maruti dealership didn't let me add frame when fixing the plate(because they didn't have the MGP version in stock), which I later did it myself. My KIA & Toyota has them fitted the same way from the dealer.

Adding the pictures of how the rivet will look from the back and how the Toyota dealer has fixed the HSRP with the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer-whatsapp-image-20220728-11.11.52-am.jpeg  

Brand new Hyundai Alcazar: Number plate riveted on crookedly by the dealer-whatsapp-image-20220728-11.13.55-am.jpeg  

Last edited by Aditya : 28th July 2022 at 14:03. Reason: Cleaning up
raj4466 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks